PDA

View Full Version : 5 other things I would like to see

Redsnake
02-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Sure winning the NLC and World Series are tops of anyone list. Maybe even Stubb cutting his strikeouts in half, Phillips/Votto resigning for more years or even Baker getting fired( :D ).

However, here are my OTHER top 5 things I would like to see this sprining traing and season.

1) Bailey extra weight - Maybe this leads to more durability and starts 30 games. If he gets 30 starts it will mean he didn't suck as much and might lead to a decent record a more wins.

2) A true LF - Someone comes out of spring training as the clear winner. I could careless who that might be. I'd like to see very limited time share.

3) Bullpen becomes the New Nasty Boys - Marshall and Madison are right there. Maybe Massett piches better and we have the M&M boys. Sorry that was corny.

4) Arrroyo status - I'd either like to see him pitch like he used to or get out of the way for someone like Chapman, Francis or someone else.

5) 3 young guys start opening day and finish the 2012 season strong - Francisco become the starting 3B of the future (finally). Mesaraco and Cozart finish 1 and 2 in ROY voting.

lidspinner
02-20-2012, 09:17 AM
I like your ideas....here are a few of mine to piggyback off yours

Stubbs learns to use his speed and gets on base more...quit trying to play money ball and walk each time he steps in the box...sit on fastball and take the swing if its fastball....its hard to make contact when your constantly down 2 strikes in the count....if stubbs can draw the 3rd baseman in 80% of the time it might lead to a few more hits in the 5-6 hole, if the 3rd baseman wants to play back like they do now then lay them bunts down and get your hits thattaway.....regardless of path, Stubbs has to make a move in the positive direction this year or he will become another in the long line of idiot athletes who think they are something they are not....Drew can be an all star with the right offense, he already has GG defense ability.....

Cozart, I want him to learn to bat in the 2 hole....at times that means quit trying to hit it deep and try to hit behind runners and get Joey to the plate with runners in scoring position....just be serviceable is all we want, true we want to see him grow as a player but just dont hit into a team high in DP's and learn how to make the pitcher throw pitches, dont just go up there hacking at the 1st pitch.....he has the defense to keep us happy, he just needs to learn to bat 2nd in this lineup cause I dont want Stubbs up there.....unless Drew can improve as noted above.

DevMes....all we need out of him is defense, we can take his growing pains at the plate, just learn to control a game and dont let past balls be the norm....I think we will love his power as a rookie, he will get pitched to get to the 9 hole as most catchers do, with this I hope Dusty helps teach him to work that pitcher....nothing I hate more than seeing a sub .250 hitting catcher go up there and swing away and then listen to the announcers talk about how he has to swing early to get good pitches with the pitcher batting next....BS is what I say...if the pitcher is going to pitch around you then let him, work that count and work that pitchers arm

if those things work out and the items mentioned by the OP then this team might just take off....we have the rare chance to be a all around team...we have the staff, we have the pen, we have the defense, all we need is the offense to come around and play like last year but with a little more fire and this team will scare the living life out of some bigger teams.....we can hit, we can run, we can play small ball and we have a little power....its hard to find teams that have all those traits....to top it all off we have no attitudes on this team....I dont see anyone demanding playing time and stirring up headlines or talking to the media via their agent....this is a true team and a true team that is missing a few small links to be a dominant winner...I havent seen a team like this in Reds history....I have seen better teams maybe, but the makeup is there to dominate.

RedsfaninMT
02-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Nice topic...

1. Bruce to fulfill all that potential and truly break out.
2. Chapman to have an amazing spring, go north with the team, and surprise everyone with a standout year, making 30 starts and putting up ace-like numbers.
3. Rolen has a decent year, starts 120 games and gets his power back. Francisco makes us want him in there more, because when he subs he bats /fields very well.
4. Bailey becomes the pitcher he was hyped to be. The Reds then have 4 outstanding starters.
5. Arroyo does not regain his velocity this spring, realizes he is done and promptly retires. Leake is the best #5 starter in baseball.

WildcatFan
02-20-2012, 11:11 AM
My list:

1) Cozart shows he's here to stay at short, particularly defensively.

2) Jay Bruce emerges as a cleanup hitter, finally breaking the 40-HR mark

3) Cueto becomes involved in the Cy Young chase as a legitimate ace

4) Chapman has a successful year as a AAA starter, forcing a callup

5) A playoff run bringing 2.8 million fans to the ballpark

bounty37h
02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
For me:
1) Bruce becomes more consistent. Has good d and flashes of great plate appearances, but needs to lengthen those stretches of good appearances.
2) Left side of the field. SS, 3'rd and LF improve-hopefully Cozart shows he can be the man, Rolen is healthy or Fransisco continues to improve and can be serviceable as a starter if not, and wish we could have someone come through as a quality every day LF'er.
3) Leake takes the next step in what I think wil be a great career.
4) reds fans support the team at the gate. Players play better when excited by fan buzz, I know its a double edge, they gotta perform at high level to get fans excited, but hope both payres and fans come out ready to go.

Redsnake
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Great stuff guys. I'd like to pull my original #3 and replace it with some of your guys idea of increased attendance by fans. 2.5 million or better for me.

jhu1321
02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
1. Bruce emerges as a CONSISTENT offensive weapon.
2. Bailey stays healthy and fulfills expectations.
3. Cozart locks down SS and doesn't split time with Valdez.
4. Heisey becomes the clear-cut LF out of spring training.
5. Madson & Marshall fall in love with the queen city and are open to sticking around.

brad1176
02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Here are some thoughts I have,

1. Latos and Cueto take the next step in their careers, contend for a Cy Young award.

2. Better situational hitting.

3. Votto become the clear clubhouse leader. No offense Miguel.

4. Mes learn the MLB catching position, get comfortable with the pitchers and gain their confidence.

5. Consistency from Dusty. This should come with the players playing to their abilities. No more shuffling the lineup like a deck of cards.

UPRedsFan
02-21-2012, 02:18 PM
1. Stubbs and Heisey cut down strikeouts and increase OBP to .350
2. Bailey pitches 200 innings of sub 4.00 ERA
3. Leake pitches 190 innings of sub 4.00 ERA
4. Bruce ends all discussion of the need to find a clean up hitter for this team
5. Chapman forces Arroyo off the playoff roster as a starter at season's end

texasdave
02-21-2012, 02:51 PM
1) The Reds still playing baseball on my birthday (10/18).
If that happens there is no need for 2 through 5.

jhu1321
02-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Here are some thoughts I have,

1. Latos and Cueto take the next step in their careers, contend for a Cy Young award.

2. Better situational hitting.

3. Votto become the clear clubhouse leader. No offense Miguel.

4. Mes learn the MLB catching position, get comfortable with the pitchers and gain their confidence.

5. Consistency from Dusty. This should come with the players playing to their abilities. No more shuffling the lineup like a deck of cards.

DING - #2! :beerme: