PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Bengals discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

Benihana
04-26-2012, 11:41 AM
A guy who is really growing on me is LSU WR Reuben Randell. I think he could come in and be a pretty productive #2 for us pretty quickly. Runs good routes, has good hands, just suffered from bad QB play.

I wouldn't cry if we took him at #21. My ideal situation however would be if we went something like Decastro - Kirkpatrick/Jenkins at 17 and 21, then trade back up to the top of the 2nd round with our extra picks to nab Randell in RD 2.

Agreed. DeCastro, Gilmore/Jenkins, and Randle would be a tremendous haul for the Bengals. I don't really want Kirkpatrick, especially not at 17.

Benihana
04-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Sadly, my final prediction is Kirkpatrick at 17 and either Upshaw or Glenn at 21. And I will be disappointed with that.

bucksfan2
04-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Reedy is the Bengals beat guy so I am guessing his comments have some truth in basis. Lombardi was a former NFL GM with plenty of connections. Those two aren't draft pundits.

I think Reedy has some more insight than most pundits, but not much. Lombardi may have some connections but during the draft there are a lot of smoke signals thrown up and players who they like or dislike. In some drafts what the Bengals are going to do is fairly easy to judge, the Gresham pick of a few years ago, the Green pick last season, and even the Big Andre pick of a couple of years ago.

That said I think this year could be a complete toss up. I think they will go BPA with every position except that of QB. And quite frankly I don't really have much of an issue with that. Too many judgements are made upon what happened most recently, and that has been a number of things without pads on. If they draft to fill a position of need then I won't have a problem with it. If Kirkpatrick is the pick I don't have a problem with it. If they go with an pass rusher, I don't have a problem with it. I remember how big of an impact their deep line was last year and how good they were late in the game when Dunlap was turned loose. Its scary to say this but if they draft a guy I feel fairly confident that Gruden or Zimmer will do a good job of using them.

Benihana
04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I think Reedy has some more insight than most pundits, but not much. Lombardi may have some connections but during the draft there are a lot of smoke signals thrown up and players who they like or dislike. In some drafts what the Bengals are going to do is fairly easy to judge, the Gresham pick of a few years ago, the Green pick last season, and even the Big Andre pick of a couple of years ago.

That said I think this year could be a complete toss up. I think they will go BPA with every position except that of QB. And quite frankly I don't really have much of an issue with that. Too many judgements are made upon what happened most recently, and that has been a number of things without pads on. If they draft to fill a position of need then I won't have a problem with it. If Kirkpatrick is the pick I don't have a problem with it. If they go with an pass rusher, I don't have a problem with it. I remember how big of an impact their deep line was last year and how good they were late in the game when Dunlap was turned loose. Its scary to say this but if they draft a guy I feel fairly confident that Gruden or Zimmer will do a good job of using them.

The last two times the Bengals just went to an open board and took BPA outside of the top 10, the picks were David Pollack (at 17 no less) and Chris Perry (originally at 24, passed on Stephen Jackson and traded down to 26).

Just saying. I have a lot less trust in them than you do.

LoganBuck
04-26-2012, 02:53 PM
The last two times the Bengals just went to an open board and took BPA outside of the top 10, the picks were David Pollack (at 17 no less) and Chris Perry (originally at 24, passed on Stephen Jackson and traded down to 26).

I have no problem with the Pollack pick. He was a beast in college, and he showed flashes late in that 2005 season. Can't really blame anyone for a fractured neck ending a career.

Chris Perry should be the poster child for why you don't draft RB in the first round. You never know what you are going to get. He was pretty good in college. He worked out well, and then injuries caught up to him. He had been a bell cow, and there are only so many hits a RB should take. His 51 carry 219 yard effort against Michigan State in 2003, shows how much of a beating some of these guys take.

bucksfan2
04-26-2012, 03:04 PM

I have absolutley zero problems with those drafts. Pollack was hurt from his holdout and really got going right before he hurt his neck. From everything I had heard the Bengals were very pleased with his development.

As for Perry the detractors have championed Stephen Jackson for years now. The issue I have with that is when Perry was healthy he was a dynamic back. He was the guy who could run the ball as well as catch the ball out of the backfield. He was the type of guy who was able to create mismatches, and with a potent offense could have really succeeded, but he got hurt. I believe they got Deltha O'Niel in the trade down who was a pro bowler for a year or two. At the time of the draft if the Bengals had Perry ranked higher than Jackson I don't have an issue with it. To go from the 17th to the 26th collecting a starting CB and an extra draft pick, I don't have an issue with it. Unfortunately Perry got hurt and wasn't the player he could have been.

HotCorner
04-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I really hope the Bengals take Stephen Hill at 21. You can't teach his combination size and speed. He's a great blocker (something Jay Gruden & Marvin like in WR). He's also a pretty intelligent guy so he should be able to pickup the offense quickly. In the meanwhile, you can send him on deep routes to keep defenses honest.

Benihana
04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
I have absolutley zero problems with those drafts. Pollack was hurt from his holdout and really got going right before he hurt his neck. From everything I had heard the Bengals were very pleased with his development.

As for Perry the detractors have championed Stephen Jackson for years now. The issue I have with that is when Perry was healthy he was a dynamic back. He was the guy who could run the ball as well as catch the ball out of the backfield. He was the type of guy who was able to create mismatches, and with a potent offense could have really succeeded, but he got hurt. I believe they got Deltha O'Niel in the trade down who was a pro bowler for a year or two. At the time of the draft if the Bengals had Perry ranked higher than Jackson I don't have an issue with it. To go from the 17th to the 26th collecting a starting CB and an extra draft pick, I don't have an issue with it. Unfortunately Perry got hurt and wasn't the player he could have been.

As you know and can probably tell from my signature, I am an alumni of the University of Michigan and know a thing or two about Chris Perry- having watched every single game of his college career. As a Bengal fan, I was absolutely disgusted when we drafted him over Stephen Jackson.

Yes, Perry could occasionally create mismatches, but he is far from an every-down back. That type of player should go in the late second or third round (like LaMichael James this year), not in the first and especially not over a future HOF back like Stephen Jackson. It was a terrible pick from the moment it was made, similar to the second round pick in that draft Keiwan Ratliff.

Who knows what would've become of Pollack had he not been tragically injured, but the fact remains the Bengals got almost nothing (long term) out of that entire draft (Odell Thurman and Chris Henry were the other top picks). It's sad when your 7th round pick (Fanene) who was never a starter probably had the biggest long-term impact of any player in a draft.

The 2004 and 2005 drafts were two of the worst Bengal drafts of the last ten years.

Other than Leon Hall, 2007 and 2008 weren't much better.

Fortunately for us, the last two years have been pretty good. Let's hope that trend continues tonight and tomorrow.

KoryMac5
04-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Bengals take Kirkpatrick at 17 and trade back with NE and select Zeitler the Guard out of Wisconsin. Not a bad first day in that they addressed the team needs. Decastro fell to 24 and Glenn fell out of the first round so I am sure there is some handwringing over that. However both Gruden and Kiper liked the Bengals first day.

I like the Zeitler pick. Kid is a lunch pale type. Smart and hardworking with a desire to improve. Nicknamed "The Terminator" by his teammates. His scouting report reads:
As a run blocker, Zeitler is a pure road-grader. He can blast defensive linemen off the line of scrimmage and shove them aside to open up their gap. While he isn't the most athletic or mobile lineman, Zeitler was able to hit blocks on linebackers in the second level of the defense. He is a power blocker who wears down defensive linemen, and as a game progresses, he can be a key cog in owning the line of scrimmage. A team that runs a power-rushing offense will love what Zeitler put on tape as a senior

He does have trouble with speed rushers but I think the coaches can rectify that issue. Would have hated the pick at 21 but like it at 27.

bucksfan2
04-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Bengals take Kirkpatrick at 17 and trade back with NE and select Zeitler the Guard out of Wisconsin. Not a bad first day in that they addressed the team needs. Decastro fell to 24 and Glenn fell out of the first round so I am sure there is some handwringing over that. However both Gruden and Kiper liked the Bengals first day.

I like the Zeitler pick. Kid is a lunch pale type. Smart and hardworking with a desire to improve. Nicknamed "The Terminator" by his teammates. His scouting report reads:

He does have trouble with speed rushers but I think the coaches can rectify that issue. Would have hated the pick at 21 but like it at 27.

I don't know what to think of the first round. They got a CB that they wanted as well as an OG that they needed. I don't have an issue with them taking Zeitler when DeCastro was there, especially if they liked Zeitler better. Couple that with the trade down to get an extra draft pick.

Now the only issue is they need to make better use of those third rounders than Ghee and Moch.

medford
04-27-2012, 09:58 AM
I think now would be a good time to use those extra picks and move up into the top 10 of the 2nd round and grab someone to pair up opposite of AJ Green.

KoryMac5
04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Bengals first round wasn't full of the usual pretty high first rounders but they got two guys who will be able to come in and play a bunch. I think at this point in a teams development that's what you want. Second round take BPA and hope its the wide out you wanted.

Benihana
04-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I think now would be a good time to use those extra picks and move up into the top 10 of the 2nd round and grab someone to pair up opposite of AJ Green.

Exactly. If the Bengals can get Rueben Randle, Stephen Hill, or Alshon Jeffery tonight, I will be very pleased with this draft. If they don't, I won't be.

They will probably have to trade up in order to do so. Then take James or Pead in the 3rd.

(Insert time will tell, we can't judge, blah blah blah)

medford
04-27-2012, 12:58 PM
You know, even if they don't trade up, Ryan Broyles out of OU will probably be there. He's a guy that intrigues me and could turn into a gem once fully recovered from injury

Reds Fanatic
04-27-2012, 01:18 PM
You know, even if they don't trade up, Ryan Broyles out of OU will probably be there. He's a guy that intrigues me and could turn into a gem once fully recovered from injury

yes I saw at least one mock draft that thinks that is who the Bengals will get. Broyles has looked good in workouts so he could be a steal. Without the injury he would have been a sure first round pick. I would really like Stephen Hill but the Bengals would have to trade up for him. I don't think he will last past the first 10 picks tonight.

bucksfan2
04-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Exactly. If the Bengals can get Rueben Randle, Stephen Hill, or Alshon Jeffery tonight, I will be very pleased with this draft. If they don't, I won't be.

They will probably have to trade up in order to do so. Then take James or Pead in the 3rd.

(Insert time will tell, we can't judge, blah blah blah)

I think they need to go WR with at least two picks over the next 3 rounds or so. I think Jeffery could be the best of the bunch out of those WR's. Randle I don't really care for and Hill is a big question mark considering he played in an option offense.

The guy who I would love to see the Bengals take a flier on is Vontaze Burfict. I think he could bring an attitude to the defense and could be a playmaker in the linebacking corps.

LoganBuck
04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
I think they need to go WR with at least two picks over the next 3 rounds or so. I think Jeffery could be the best of the bunch out of those WR's. Randle I don't really care for and Hill is a big question mark considering he played in an option offense.

The guy who I would love to see the Bengals take a flier on is Vontaze Burfict. I think he could bring an attitude to the defense and could be a playmaker in the linebacking corps.

Thinking back to some of the conversations that I have heard on the radio, and things I have read. I think you have to assume that the Bengals have their eyes on Devier Posey sometime. We know they like Courtney Upshaw, and Marvin supposedly had a one on one interview with Burfict a month ago. They are also said to like Pead and James.

bucksfan2
04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Thinking back to some of the conversations that I have heard on the radio, and things I have read. I think you have to assume that the Bengals have their eyes on Devier Posey sometime. We know they like Courtney Upshaw, and Marvin supposedly had a one on one interview with Burfict a month ago. They are also said to like Pead and James.

Couple of things on this.

First of all Burfict. I saw an article that called him the meanest man in college football. He went from being a first rounder to a 3rd? ESPN Mag had an insteresting write up on the guy. He is the type of wild card who could really make a defesne better, a risk, but maybe a calculated risk.

Posey will get slammed for character issues, being suspended 10 games his senior year. By all means the guy was an idiot, but an idiot who worked with the scout team for all of this past season. A guy who remained in school and on the team to play 2 games. He will get knocked but some guys failing a drug test at the combine won't.

I like James more than Pead. It may just be perception, and James played in a better offense, but I think James is more explosive. If your going to draft a "skat" back then go with the guy who is more explosive.

I thought Upshaw was going to go higher, if he slips to the late 2nd round that would be a great pick.

Benihana
04-27-2012, 02:06 PM
I've heard Burfict won't go until the sixth or seventh round- if at all. I would love it if the Bengals took a late round flyer on him.

Some of my ideal remaining targets:

SECOND ROUND
1. Rueben Randle WR
2. Stephen Hill WR
3. Alshon Jeffery WR
4. Courtney Upshaw
5. Janoris Jenkins CB (even with the Kirkpatrick pick, I'd still take him if the first four picks were off the board)
6. Jerel Worthy DT

THIRD ROUND
1. Lamar Miller RB
2. LaMichael James RB
3. Isaiah Pead RB
4. Ryan Broyles WR
5. Mohammed Sanu WR
6. Brandon Thompson DT

SIXTH OR SEVENTH ROUND
1. Vontaze Burfict

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
I've heard Burfict won't go until the sixth or seventh round- if at all. I would love it if the Bengals took a late round flyer on him.

Some of my ideal remaining targets:

SECOND ROUND
1. Rueben Randle WR
2. Stephen Hill WR
3. Alshon Jeffery WR
4. Courtney Upshaw
5. Janoris Jenkins CB (even with the Kirkpatrick pick, I'd still take him if the first four picks were off the board)
6. Jerel Worthy DT

THIRD ROUND
1. Lamar Miller RB
2. LaMichael James RB
3. Isaiah Pead RB
4. Ryan Broyles WR
5. Mohammed Sanu WR
6. Brandon Thompson DT

SIXTH OR SEVENTH ROUND
1. Vontaze Burfict

You would draft Janoris Jenkins and Vontaze Burfict in the same draft, on top of Dre Kirkpatrick, who Kirk Herbstreit called out this morning for his behavior at Alabama? This team would be absolutely raked over the coals for those picks. Just this week, in the local news, we have a story about a former Bengals linebacker going to jail for repeated sexual violations against a 15-year-old girl; and Rey Maulaluga reached a deal with the guy who accused him of beating him up last year. That on the heels of Jerome Simpson just finishing up his jail time for the drug shipment to his house last year.

Sorry, I stay far, far away from Jenkins and Burfict.

Benihana
04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
You would draft Janoris Jenkins and Vontaze Burfict in the same draft, on top of Dre Kirkpatrick, who Kirk Herbstreit called out this morning for his behavior at Alabama? This team would be absolutely raked over the coals for those picks. Just this week, in the local news, we have a story about a former Bengals linebacker going to jail for repeated sexual violations against a 15-year-old girl; and Rey Maulaluga reached a deal with the guy who accused him of beating him up last year. That on the heels of Jerome Simpson just finishing up his jail time for the drug shipment to his house last year.

Sorry, I stay far, far away from Jenkins and Burfict.

In the later rounds, these types of picks are much more tolerable. Less risk, you can let them go at the first sign of trouble.

I probably wouldn't draft them BOTH in the same draft, as I'd much prefer a WR in the second round, but yeah, I'd take a flyer on Burfict. He's never been arrested before- his "character concerns" relate more to his mental makeup than his criminal record.

The DARK
04-27-2012, 02:42 PM
If Jeffery is there, you take him. No ifs, ands, or buts. He's Sidney Rice without the injuries, and all that weight talk was an unconfirmed report that wasn't corroborated at the combine. He's got AJ Green's hands and jumping ability. Have Jeffery and Green on the field at the same time, and you have a mismatch somewhere. He's probably not getting past the Vikings, but you don't let him fall out of the 2nd.

Benihana
04-27-2012, 03:02 PM
If Jeffery is there, you take him. No ifs, ands, or buts. He's Sidney Rice without the injuries, and all that weight talk was an unconfirmed report that wasn't corroborated at the combine. He's got AJ Green's hands and jumping ability. Have Jeffery and Green on the field at the same time, and you have a mismatch somewhere. He's probably not getting past the Vikings, but you don't let him fall out of the 2nd.

Agreed

medford
04-27-2012, 03:21 PM
For a team that is often racked over the coals for its draft history (and rightfully so during the 90s) this team has really turned around its draft record since the 2001 draft (justin smith, chad, Rudi & TJ)

They've had a couple of bad or unlucky drafts, but the last 3 drafts, plus what's shaping up so far has put this franchise in excellant shape for the next 5-10 seasons.

Greshman, Atkins, Green & Dalton have all made the pro bowl and look to be among the top 10 of their position for an extended period.

Andre Smith started off very slowly, but after getting himself in shape last season, looks to be a top 10 RT if he keeps his dedication up. He could be in for a huge payday after this season if he plays like he did last season again.

Maualuga has his moments, if he ever deveoped consistancy he'd be more than solid.
Huber is a very solid punter, top 10?
Michael Johnson = solid depth
Carlos Dunlop was graded as one of the top DE last year prior to his injuries.
Jordan Shipley looked like a more than solid 3rd reciever for the slot, if he can recovery fully this is another excellant weapon
Donta Moch - will be interesting to see what he does when healthy this year.

Plus a handful of guys that could still develop into solid depth.

Add in this season and they've got an excellant foundation that extends from QB to the offensive line, out to the recieving core, across to the defensive front 7 and into the defensive back field and special teams.

Benihana
04-27-2012, 03:37 PM
For a team that is often racked over the coals for its draft history (and rightfully so during the 90s) this team has really turned around its draft record since the 2001 draft (justin smith, chad, Rudi & TJ)

They've had a couple of bad or unlucky drafts, but the last 3 drafts, plus what's shaping up so far has put this franchise in excellant shape for the next 5-10 seasons.

Greshman, Atkins, Green & Dalton have all made the pro bowl and look to be among the top 10 of their position for an extended period.

Andre Smith started off very slowly, but after getting himself in shape last season, looks to be a top 10 RT if he keeps his dedication up. He could be in for a huge payday after this season if he plays like he did last season again.

Maualuga has his moments, if he ever deveoped consistancy he'd be more than solid.
Huber is a very solid punter, top 10?
Michael Johnson = solid depth
Carlos Dunlop was graded as one of the top DE last year prior to his injuries.
Jordan Shipley looked like a more than solid 3rd reciever for the slot, if he can recovery fully this is another excellant weapon
Donta Moch - will be interesting to see what he does when healthy this year.

Plus a handful of guys that could still develop into solid depth.

Add in this season and they've got an excellant foundation that extends from QB to the offensive line, out to the recieving core, across to the defensive front 7 and into the defensive back field and special teams.

Going back to 2005, the Bengals are about .500 as far as draft classes go:

2006, 2010 and 2011 were very good drafts.

I think the jury is still out on 2009.

2005, 2007, and 2008 were all pretty bad. Consider, these three drafts only produced a grand total of one player (Leon Hall) who has been a starter for the Bengals for more than three seasons. One player. That is BAD.

So the way I see it, they're batting .500. Not the idiots they're made out to be, but let's not dance in the streets yet- at least until we get a WR tonight.

New York Red
04-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I hope like crazy Jeffery is available, but I'm guessing he won't be. We won't get that lucky.

medford
04-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Going back to 2005, the Bengals are about .500 as far as draft classes go:

2006, 2010 and 2011 were very good drafts.

I think the jury is still out on 2009.

2005, 2007, and 2008 were all pretty bad. Consider, these three drafts only produced a grand total of one player (Leon Hall) who has been a starter for the Bengals for more than three seasons. One player. That is BAD.

So the way I see it, they're batting .500. Not the idiots they're made out to be, but let's not dance in the streets yet- at least until we get a WR tonight.

agreed, its those drafts that killed them 2 seasons ago, and really the only bad ones you can point to from 2001 on. The Jury is definently still out on the 2009 draft, largely it depends on how Andre Smith continues to develop. If he plays like he did last year for the next 5-8 seasons I'll consider that draft a success by NFL standards. '10 & '11 look like winners barring injury moving forward. Hopefully '12 will turn out in similar fashion.

Sea Ray
04-27-2012, 05:36 PM

He scares me as a Bengal fan. I can see Mike Brown thinking he can reform him. I'd be fine taking a flier on him if as a flier you mean one of our 5th rd picks.

Sea Ray
04-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Bengals are the only team in the NFL to have 4 Pro Bowlers out of their last two drafts. That's something

Ohayou
04-27-2012, 06:55 PM
2 - WR (Quick/Jones)
3A - RB (Pead/James/Hillman)
3B - S (Hardin?)
4 - WR (Toon/Streeter/Posey/Jones)

In that order, please.

Redsfaithful
04-27-2012, 09:23 PM
I like the Still pick, and I'm thrilled they took linemen 2 out of the first 3 picks. The Bengals give themselves a much better chance to win with a solid offensive and defensive line, and I'm hopeful that defensive line might be an elite unit next year.

Like most, I preferred DeCastro, but overall so far so good for me.

fearofpopvol1
04-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Bengals fans should be proud. I think they've had a great draft! I'm not totally sold on Kirkpatrick, but he might work out well. I love the other 4 picks thus far though a lot.

Sea Ray
04-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Bengals fans should be proud. I think they've had a great draft! I'm not totally sold on Kirkpatrick, but he might work out well. I love the other 4 picks thus far though a lot.

I agree. I'm not one to gush over drafts but this seems like an outstanding one for our Bengals. I'd rate it the best in the division and that's saying something because Pittsburgh did very well and the Ravens always know what they're doing

fearofpopvol1
04-28-2012, 02:52 AM
I agree. I'm not one to gush over drafts but this seems like an outstanding one for our Bengals. I'd rate it the best in the division and that's saying something because Pittsburgh did very well and the Ravens always know what they're doing

And they had a fabulous draft last year as well. The Bengals look like legitimate players for the 2012 season. It's still a tough division, but I predict the some decline from the Ravens and I even think the Steelers as well. Both of those teams are getting older and the Bengals young. The future is bright in Cincinnati. Now, if they only would go back to their 80s uniforms.

Benihana
04-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I like this draft but don't love it- I'd give the Bengals a solid B.

I'm confused as to why we'd take Still over Randle- I really wanted Randle. However they had a nice recovery in the third round with Sanu and Thompson.

I'd still like to see Lamar Miller, Vontaze Burfict and a SS today. (I would have been pleased with Martin at 93).

Playadlc
04-28-2012, 12:23 PM
I'd like to see the Bengals nab McNutt today. Good fit for the WCO.

Joseph
04-28-2012, 03:45 PM
The lack of a running game may kill this team next season. While they've had a great 'BPA' draft, they did not address the need at RB with anything of quality.

RiverRat13
04-28-2012, 04:16 PM
The lack of a running game may kill this team next season. While they've had a great 'BPA' draft, they did not address the need at RB with anything of quality.

They've seriously upgraded the interior of the offensive line. Also, the Law Firm is a notable upgrade to Benson according to analytical sites like Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders. The Bengals redzone offense was in the bottom third in '11 and with the upgrades to the OL, RB, and WR they should get to at least league average. I guess they are banking on Scott to be the home run threat which is a little concerning, but there may be a guy or two become available in June.

redsfanmia
04-28-2012, 07:31 PM

The Law firm is an upgrade over Ced.

chicoruiz
04-28-2012, 08:25 PM
With the two new corners drafted, I wonder if Terrence Newman gets a look at free safety...

Joseph
04-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Well I certainly hope the running back situation is improved, but I always sort of saw BGE as a glorified 3rd back who was put in a position to succeed in a good Pats system. Hopefully some of the positive feelings about the upgrades to the line and BGE all end up working out.

HeatherC1212
04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
The Bengals picked up Dan 'Boom' Herron from tOSU at the end of the draft so the running game did get a little bit of help today. :)

Benihana
04-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Bengals signed Vontaze Burfict. Perfect ending to a very nice draft.

He could be Odell Thurman Part II - for both the right and wrong reasons.

Benihana
04-28-2012, 10:15 PM
With the two new corners drafted, I wonder if Terrence Newman gets a look at free safety...

I was thinking Jason Allen or even Clements could get a look at safety. Unfortunately we still have a pretty sizeable hole at SS.

VottoFan54
04-28-2012, 11:14 PM
The Bengals signed Vontaze Burfict. Here are other undrafted free agents they are looking at:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/4/28/2985196/cincinnati-bengals-undrafted-free-agent-signings-chart

fearofpopvol1
04-29-2012, 12:43 AM
By the way, Mel Kiper Jr. gave the Bengals an overall grade of an A- on the draft. A better grade than every other team in the league not named the Eagles or the Bucs.

Mario-Rijo
04-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Best Bengals draft I have ever witnessed (started watching in '95). That might be a bit of faint praise to some but we have held our own IMO since Marvin got there. We have just refined our approach to include better character the past few years.

A++

SeeinRed
04-29-2012, 02:31 PM
It almost seems as though the Bengals are building a respectable organization and a good team with a very good foundation from recent drafts... What the heck happened? I'm working on the assumption that Mike Brown has infact slipped into a coma and a look-alike has taken to making public appearances. This is much like the theories that were flying around about North Korea.

In all seriousness, I really think the Bengals had a very solid draft. Their strategy was spot on what I think it should have been. I don't buy into the idea that they needed a RB in the draft. The Bengals have really seemed to show some serious signs of turning things around. It will take a while to declare it a complete change in philosophy for me, but you can't argue that things haven't been different. I'm very encouraged, and cautiously optomistic that these changes do mean something.

oregonred
04-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Great draft with a bunch of 100% football players that won't be fun for anyone to go up against for the next few years. Finally the Reds and Bengals seem to be ready for a multi year run with a commitment to winning. The perception of where the Bengals were in the summer of 2011 until now nine months later is simply mind boggling.

Now have to figure out a way to make it up to a game this year.

lidspinner
04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Best Bengals draft I have ever witnessed (started watching in '95). That might be a bit of faint praise to some but we have held our own IMO since Marvin got there. We have just refined our approach to include better character the past few years.

A++

and then we went and signed Burfict.....just silly if you ask me....why in the worl d do we even think of bringing this guy in? He might work out, but I see problems with this guy, there is a reason he had 1st round talent and was not even drafted by anyone...not even sniffed....didnt even get a interview. guy is a walking disaster and a cancerous one at that....I seriously thought Marvin and Mike was moving towards getting good character players up till they signed this moron. we shall see what happens.

Hoosier Red
04-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Lidspinner, the difference between drafting morons and signing them as undrafted free agents is night and day.

This guy has has less than a short leash. The slightest screw up and he's gone.

There's essentially no opportunity cost to signing guys like this. Any benefit you get from an undrafted free agent is money found. As opposed to Odell Thurman and Chris Henry(who the Bengals took in front of a number of guys who could still be contributing.) Signing Burflict costs you nothing.

There's a time and a place for giving guys second chances. The difference is that Mike Brown used to do it in the 2nd and 3rd round, now they're doing it in the late rounds and with undrafted guys.

As we've seen with guys like Rey Mauluga, if you draft a guy and he has problems, there's generally a reluctance to completely cut ties. But if an unsigned free agent causes the same amount of trouble either on field or off, then he's gone before the end of the day.

medford
04-30-2012, 10:06 AM
So I'm not up to speed on the Burfcit kid. From what I've gathered, his main problem is being overly aggressive on the field? I haven't seen anything about off the field stuff, though there is some social anxiety stuff that pops up.

Am I missing something glaring? From what I've read, could be a Jerome Harrison type w/ cheap shots, head hunting, etc... While not ideal, its not the worst thing in the world. An undrafted free agent is hardly anything to fret about.

Hoosier Red
04-30-2012, 10:09 AM
So I'm not up to speed on the Burfcit kid. From what I've gathered, his main problem is being overly aggressive on the field? I haven't seen anything about off the field stuff, though there is some social anxiety stuff that pops up.

Am I missing something glaring? From what I've read, could be a Jerome Harrison type w/ cheap shots, head hunting, etc... While not ideal, its not the worst thing in the world. An undrafted free agent is hardly anything to fret about.

That's what I'd heard too. Seemed to be more a product of the system at ASU under Erickson than anything else.

Sea Ray
04-30-2012, 10:24 AM

What's your preference? A guy who has problems on the field or off? His problems have been on the field. I saw him play in a few west coast games on FSN and as I watched him I thought "he has Bengal written all over him". Odell Thurman's problem was alcoholism, I don't think that's Burfict's problem. He just undisciplined. He will tend to be out of position and get fines for late hits. Supposedly Marvin's been talking to him and hopefully he's spelled it out for him: that there's a spot for him at MLB and he can make a living if he works at it and stays clean. I'm OK with signing him as an UDFA and I think his chances of working out are less than 50:50 but we've had a hole at that position ever since Marvin's been here (since Takeo Spikes left). For a guy like this the choice is clear: you either make a living in football or you'll be on the streets. I'm surprised that doesn't motivate more players

Dan
04-30-2012, 11:41 AM
What's your preference? A guy who has problems on the field or off? His problems have been on the field. I saw him play in a few west coast games on FSN and as I watched him I thought "he has Bengal written all over him". Odell Thurman's problem was alcoholism, I don't think that's Burfict's problem. He just undisciplined. He will tend to be out of position and get fines for late hits. Supposedly Marvin's been talking to him and hopefully he's spelled it out for him: that there's a spot for him at MLB and he can make a living if he works at it and stays clean. I'm OK with signing him as an UDFA and I think his chances of working out are less than 50:50 but we've had a hole at that position ever since Marvin's been here (since Takeo Spikes left). For a guy like this the choice is clear: you either make a living in football or you'll be on the streets. I'm surprised that doesn't motivate more players

That's because the same people that would be motivated by that, they're also the ones who think that whatever happens to them, it was someone else's fault. If the Bengals end up cutting Burfict, from his point of view it will be the Bengals fault for not sticking with him, giving him another chance, etc., etc.

medford
04-30-2012, 12:16 PM

I wouldn't say I have a preference for either on the field or off the field issues. But for a undrafted FA signee with alleged talent, I'm not going to worry about either. Worst case scenerio, he's a total knucklehead and gets cut half way thru training camp.

medford
04-30-2012, 12:22 PM
The Bengals picked up Dan 'Boom' Herron from tOSU at the end of the draft so the running game did get a little bit of help today. :)

I'm interested to see how this works out. Herron never jumps out at you on the football field, but all of a sudden you look up at the stats and he's always productive, despite some terrible line play at OSU during his tenure. He appears to have very good vision and the ability to cut in/out of cuts quicker than most college running backs I watch. He never appeared to have the best straight line speed on the football field, but I'd rank that skill behind the two I listed above; in that regard he's kind of the anti-Bernard Scott who has great straight line speed, but suffers to recognize and hit holes quickly (although I think he improved on this skill as he got more playing time last year)

Assuming health w/ the other backs, I think the last RB spot either goes to Scott or Herron. Of course in the NFL, especially w/ running backs, you can't really assume health.

wolfboy
04-30-2012, 12:58 PM

IIRC, there were rumors of a failed drug test at the combine.

Sea Ray
04-30-2012, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't say I have a preference for either on the field or off the field issues. But for a undrafted FA signee with alleged talent, I'm not going to worry about either. Worst case scenerio, he's a total knucklehead and gets cut half way thru training camp.

I like the risk as an undrafted FA but I have to disagree on the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario is that he performs, the Bengals cut other players, and then just when they're "counting on him" he goes all Chris Henry/Pac Man on us.

wolfboy
04-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I like the risk as an undrafted FA but I have to disagree on the worst case scenario. The worst case scenario is that he performs, the Bengals cut other players, and then just when they're "counting on him" he goes all Chris Henry/Pac Man on us.

Very good point.

wolfboy
04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
If this guy can do half the things he was known for 9 months ago, the Bengals will have something special: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-07-28/the-meanest-man-in-college-football-vontaze-burfict

WMR
04-30-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm sort of worried about a sophomore slump for the QB. Hopefully not.

Sea Ray
04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
I saw in this draft, Marvin, drafting hard hitters in preparation for playing in the AFC North. In other words if you're going to war against teams like the Steelers and Ravens, you want guys like Burfict on your side. That was a theme starting with the first pick, Kirkpatrick

fearofpopvol1
04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
I saw in this draft, Marvin, drafting hard hitters in preparation for playing in the AFC North. In other words if you're going to war against teams like the Steelers and Ravens, you want guys like Burfict on your side. That was a theme starting with the first pick, Kirkpatrick

Kirkpatrick is the one guy in the draft that I think may have been a bit of a reach for the Bengals. I'm just not sold on him, but I think he can contribute and can be good.

Sea Ray
04-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Kirkpatrick is the one guy in the draft that I think may have been a bit of a reach for the Bengals. I'm just not sold on him, but I think he can contribute and can be good.

I agree. But they needed a CB real bad. I'm anxious to actually see him play. I'm hoping he's a guy who really lays the wood in the secondary kinda like Carnell Lake used to do for the Steelers

wolfboy
04-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Another good read on Burfict: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7821147/nfl-asu-linebacker-vontaze-burfict-draft-most-misunderstood-player-espn-magazine

bucksfan2
04-30-2012, 08:21 PM
I wanted the Bengals to draft Burfict in the 5th or 6th round. He was the guy in the draft who was worthy of a flier being taken on him. The thing is, in a draft if you get 3 starters then you have done a good job. Too often 5th 6th and 7th rounders just don't hang around often enough. You end up with guys like Corey Lynch in the late rounds, guys who you take fliers on. Burfict has more talent than about 6 rounds of drafted guys. I don't worry about the personal issues considering none of them have to deal with breaking the law or getting arrested.

Mario-Rijo
04-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Another good read on Burfict: http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7821147/nfl-asu-linebacker-vontaze-burfict-draft-most-misunderstood-player-espn-magazine

Great read, thanks.

sonny
04-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm convinced there's a "Weekend at Bernie's" thing going on with Mike Brown. Who is making these sane decisions?

wolfboy
04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm convinced there's a "Weekend at Bernie's" thing going on with Mike Brown. Who is making these sane decisions?

:lol: Nice.

Sea Ray
04-30-2012, 09:48 PM
I must admit that I root for these kinds of guys but if I'm being completely honest, it's for selfish reasons. I want my team to develop this diamond in the rough, not because I'm happy for Vontaze but because I want to think my team is better than your team at finding and developing talent.

Now, have any of these projects ever worked? I would say probably not although I would opine that the Bengals don't win the division in 2005 without Odell Thurmond and Chris Henry. Has PacMan worked out? Not really but I suppose it can be argued that he's a contributor.

As for Vontaze, I'm still not sure if he's going to work. I wish I'd read in that article how his frustration led him to studying extra video and going in for extra work. I think Mike Brown ought to fork out money for him to get a place at Lytle Tower and change his environment as well as keep him close to Paul Brown Stadium. In other words keep him on a short leash. Then work him into the lineup slowly and let him be a head hunter on special teams out of the box. Tell him that he will get more playing time when he earns it and remind him that his position (MLB) is wide open and asking for someone to take it. When he screws up coach him, see if he learns from his mistakes and explain to him that such mistakes are the reason he's not starting. Let's see how he responds to all of that.

I hope he does respond because quite frankly we need head hunters in order to compete in the AFC North. Pittsburgh and Baltimore will hit you in the mouth and when they do, it's nice to have a guy like Burfict to hit back.

Hoosier Red
04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
I must admit that I root for these kinds of guys but if I'm being completely honest, it's for selfish reasons. I want my team to develop this diamond in the rough, not because I'm happy for Vontaze but because I want to think my team is better than your team at finding and developing talent.

Now, have any of these projects ever worked? I would say probably not although I would opine that the Bengals don't win the division in 2005 without Odell Thurmond and Chris Henry. Has PacMan worked out? Not really but I suppose it can be argued that he's a contributor.

As for Vontaze, I'm still not sure if he's going to work. I wish I'd read in that article how his frustration led him to studying extra video and going in for extra work. I think Mike Brown ought to fork out money for him to get a place at Lytle Tower and change his environment as well as keep him close to Paul Brown Stadium. In other words keep him on a short leash. Then work him into the lineup slowly and let him be a head hunter on special teams out of the box. Tell him that he will get more playing time when he earns it and remind him that his position (MLB) is wide open and asking for someone to take it. When he screws up coach him, see if he learns from his mistakes and explain to him that such mistakes are the reason he's not starting. Let's see how he responds to all of that.

I hope he does respond because quite frankly we need head hunters in order to compete in the AFC North. Pittsburgh and Baltimore will hit you in the mouth and when they do, it's nice to have a guy like Burfict to hit back.

In recent years they've worked out more often then not. Mauluga despite his issues has been a starter. PacMan has contributed, but injuries have held him back more than poor actions. Bernard Scott is another guy who had dropped due to the dreaded character issues, and he's turned out to be a solid citizen.

Someone mentioned Frostee Rucker and Tank Johnson on the radio today, again they were able to contribute and they didn't do anything stupid once they got here. On the whole I'll consider that a win.

Sea Ray
04-30-2012, 10:32 PM
In recent years they've worked out more often then not. Mauluga despite his issues has been a starter. PacMan has contributed, but injuries have held him back more than poor actions. Bernard Scott is another guy who had dropped due to the dreaded character issues, and he's turned out to be a solid citizen.

Someone mentioned Frostee Rucker and Tank Johnson on the radio today, again they were able to contribute and they didn't do anything stupid once they got here. On the whole I'll consider that a win.

:thumbup:

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 01:33 AM

Cedric Benson had some problems before coming to the Bengals.

The DARK
05-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Heck, even Larry Johnson and T.O., the two most notorious clubhouse cancers in the NFL, mostly kept their mouths shut here and played decent football. Marvin has a way of keeping such a crazy group on their best behavior that he doesn't get enough credit for. When I heard that Marvin talked in person with Vontaze, I got a hunch that he knew what he was doing, and that we'll probably see this kid take the field at some point this season. Yet whenever players with issues like that have left Cincinnati, they've tended to fall off a cliff quickly (Ochocinco, Owens, Johnson). I'd say that Marvin is perhaps the best judge of character of anybody in the NFL today.

Hoosier Red
05-01-2012, 11:30 AM

That's a good question Sea Ray. Being a knucklehead off the field doesn't actually cost the team anything other than PR points. On the other hand, being a knucklehead on the field is easier to coach the guy out of you would think.

I agree with the post you made further down the line. The Bengals are now going to be good enough to cut a lot of good players who will likely be picked up by other teams. So now if Burflict performs well enough early on, the team will be as vested in him as they are in a draft pick, because they'll have likely given up a previous draft pick to keep him.

wolfboy
05-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Even worse for me is the Ahmad Brooks result: Bengals keep the guy on the roster for a few years, he barely touches the field, then goes and blossoms elsewhere. I'd take the 18 sacks, 6 FF, and 1 INT Ahmad Brooks has given the 49ers over the last three seasons.

bucksfan2
05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Even worse for me is the Ahmad Brooks result: Bengals keep the guy on the roster for a few years, he barely touches the field, then goes and blossoms elsewhere. I'd take the 18 sacks, 6 FF, and 1 INT Ahmad Brooks has given the 49ers over the last three seasons.

The NFL is full of guys who were highly drafted but never caught on with their original team. For every Ahmad Brooks who went elsewhere and succeeded there is a Reggie Nelson who was a bust but became a solid starter.

wolfboy
05-01-2012, 05:20 PM
The NFL is full of guys who were highly drafted but never caught on with their original team. For every Ahmad Brooks who went elsewhere and succeeded there is a Reggie Nelson who was a bust but became a solid starter.

Yes, but Ahmad Brooks was not highly drafted. He was taken in the supplemental draft as a result of character issues. The Bengals took the chance and the Niners reaped the benefit. I realize this is a common tale in the NFL, but I'd like to see the Bengals reap the benefit of the risk they're taking in a guy like Burfict.

Sea Ray
05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes, but Ahmad Brooks was not highly drafted. He was taken in the supplemental draft as a result of character issues. The Bengals took the chance and the Niners reaped the benefit. I realize this is a common tale in the NFL, but I'd like to see the Bengals reap the benefit of the risk they're taking in a guy like Burfict.

That's debatable. If memory serves he was a 3rd rd pick and that is kind of high in my opinion

Hoosier Red
05-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Sea Ray's correct, while it was the supplemental draft, taking him in the 3rd round of that draft cost them the 3rd round pick the next year.

wolfboy
05-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Sea Ray's correct, while it was the supplemental draft, taking him in the 3rd round of that draft cost them the 3rd round pick the next year.

I'm aware of that. I guess when I think of "highly drafted" I think of a guy that has the normal pedigree of a highly rated draft pick, not a guy that was kicked off his team and forced to go into the supplemental draft. Every NFL team had at least two chances to take the guy and didn't. Besides, the round of the draft pick doesn't change the point I'm trying to make. There's no doubt the Bengals absorbed some heavy risk when they chose Brooks. On top of the normal chance of a draft bust, there was also the chance that Brooks' off field issues could derail his career even if he succeeded on the field. As Bengals fans, we're all too familiar with that narrative. Given the increased risk the Bengals took on in selecting him, it would have been nice to see them reap some benefit while he was with the Bengals. Here's a guy that not only found success in the NFL on the field, but also avoided derailing his career with his alleged character issues. I'm glad that happened; I just wish it happened for the team that took a chance on him.

Hoosier Red
05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm aware of that. I guess when I think of "highly drafted" I think of a guy that has the normal pedigree of a highly rated draft pick, not a guy that was kicked off his team and forced to go into the supplemental draft. Every NFL team had at least two chances to take the guy and didn't. Besides, the round of the draft pick doesn't change the point I'm trying to make. There's no doubt the Bengals absorbed some heavy risk when they chose Brooks. On top of the normal chance of a draft bust, there was also the chance that Brooks' off field issues could derail his career even if he succeeded on the field. As Bengals fans, we're all too familiar with that narrative. Given the increased risk the Bengals took on in selecting him, it would have been nice to see them reap some benefit while he was with the Bengals. Here's a guy that not only found success in the NFL on the field, but also avoided derailing his career with his alleged character issues. I'm glad that happened; I just wish it happened for the team that took a chance on him.

That's true Wolfboy. I think in general the Bengals have done better at signing "reclamation projects" as opposed to drafting the guys who's value had fallen due to off the field issues. Although the 2005 draft probably skews any analysis.
But in terms of guys who have been signed after flaming out with the original team, you're looking at Ced Benson, Tank Johnson, Adam Jones, and others have all at the very least contributed to the Bengals with very little in the way of a bad apple having additional issues.

Sea Ray
05-02-2012, 11:56 AM
My point is that given the loss of the 3rd rd pick, A. Brooks represented much more risk than Burfict does here

wolfboy
05-02-2012, 12:24 PM
My point is that given the loss of the 3rd rd pick, A. Brooks represented much more risk than Burfict does here

I agree.

Sea Ray
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
I agree.

Yeah, I think we've been on the same page on this all along...:beerme:

BuckeyeRedleg
05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
One thing I’ve noticed of late about the Bengals is that they like to stockpile 1st round picks like Jim Bowden.

This offseason they have signed Terrance Newman (#3, 2001), Derrick Harvey (#8, 2008), Jamaal Anderson (#8, 2007), and Jason Allen (#16, 2006). The last couple of offseasons produced Nate Clements (#21, 2001), Manny Lawson (#22, 2006), Reggie Nelson (#21, 2007), and Adam “Pac Man” Jones (#6, 2005). And let’s not forget the currently unsigned Cedric Benson (#4, 2005) and Kelly Jennings (#31, 2006).

Combine those eight currently on the roster with the Bengals own 1st round picks (6): Leon Hall (#18, 2007), Andre Smith (#6, 2009), Jermaine Gresham (#21, 2010), A.J. Green (#4, 2011), Dre Kirkpatrick (#17, 2012), and Kevin Zeitler (#27, 2012) and the Bengals have 14 former 1st round picks on their roster. That’s possibly a quarter of their opening day roster. If only it would have worked out with Keith Rivers (#9, 2008).

Mix in all this talent with some later round hits, some coaching up, add a little luck, and that could be just the recipe for this team to go far in 2012.

Ohayou
05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Backup Guard Jacob Bell retires a month after signing with the Bengals.

texasdave
05-22-2012, 01:04 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/05/bengals-jacob-bell-suddenly-retires-saying-junior-seaus-suicide-was-cherry-on-top/1?csp=obnetwork#.T7seKlKQbZ4

Redsfaithful
05-22-2012, 04:01 PM
You make even $5-10 million and that's plenty to retire on if you're prudent. Why risk it at at that point?

Will be really interesting if you have more guys making this decision. Football is already a young man's game, might become even more so.

RiverRat13
05-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Let's face it, had Jacob Bell signed for $5 million and not the league minimum, he'd still be playing football this year.

bucksfan2
05-23-2012, 08:15 AM
You make even $5-10 million and that's plenty to retire on if you're prudent. Why risk it at at that point?

Will be really interesting if you have more guys making this decision. Football is already a young man's game, might become even more so.

While not wanting to disect a NFL players lifestlye I agree with you. I also agree with riverrat when he said that had Bell not had his salary chopped in half and was playing for $5M a year he probably still is playing.

If any NFL player decides to retire early because he is set for life and wants to avoid further physical contact I applaud them. I do think that we have reached a peak to say with the Seau issues. I hope that any football player took to heart what happened but also realized that he could have had an nonfootball related mental illness that thousands of people suffer with in America.

Redsfaithful
05-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Let's face it, had Jacob Bell signed for $5 million and not the league minimum, he'd still be playing football this year.

I think Bell himself said something similar. He still turned down what, 800-900k? Decent chunk of money.

RichRed
05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
The Bengals franchise turned 45 yesterday. Happy birthday!

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/5/23/3039149/on-this-date-in-bengals-history-afl-awards-cincinnati-with-a-franchise

texasdave
05-24-2012, 03:02 PM
There are some hideous helmet designs in that picture. Hideous.

Yachtzee
05-25-2012, 01:52 AM
The Bengals franchise turned 45 yesterday. Happy birthday!

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/5/23/3039149/on-this-date-in-bengals-history-afl-awards-cincinnati-with-a-franchise

Happy Birthday, Bengals.

MWM
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Nate Webster was convicted for having sex with a 15year old today.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8016692/ex-cincinnati-bengals-lb-nate-webster-gets-12-years-sex-case

What i found interesting was the headline on ESPN's homepage that said "Ex-Bengal Webster Gets 12 Years....". He played for the Patriots for 4 years and the Broncos for 3, but the Bengals for only 2. The last team he played for was the Broncos. Why is he an "Ex-Bengal"? Maybe it's because this was in Cincinnati, but i just found that odd.

fearofpopvol1
06-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Nate Webster was convicted for having sex with a 15year old today.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8016692/ex-cincinnati-bengals-lb-nate-webster-gets-12-years-sex-case

What i found interesting was the headline on ESPN's homepage that said "Ex-Bengal Webster Gets 12 Years....". He played for the Patriots for 4 years and the Broncos for 3, but the Bengals for only 2. The last team he played for was the Broncos. Why is he an "Ex-Bengal"? Maybe it's because this was in Cincinnati, but i just found that odd.

I am taking a complete stab in the dark here, but my guess is because Cincinnati has had so many players with off the field issues. ESPN probably thought this was a better headline, as it would likely stir up feelings by others of, "there they go again."

HotCorner
06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
I am taking a complete stab in the dark here, but my guess is because Cincinnati has had so many players with off the field issues. ESPN probably thought this was a better headline, as it would likely stir up feelings by others of, "there they go again."

Exactly which is lazy and unfairly paints an incorrect picture of the current Bengals. Yet I guess that will draw hits to their site.

Webster played 4 out of his 99 career games with the Bengals and spent the the last two seasons in Denver. I've yet to see him referred nationally as ex-Buccaneer or ex-Bronco - only ex-Bengal.

Yachtzee
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Exactly which is lazy and unfairly paints an incorrect picture of the current Bengals. Yet I guess that will draw hits to their site.

Webster played 4 out of his 99 career games with the Bengals and spent the the last two seasons in Denver. I've yet to see him referred nationally as ex-Buccaneer or ex-Bronco - only ex-Bengal.

The Bengals will always be the red-headed stepchild of the NFL, at least until the NFL gets a commissioner willing to crack down on media darling/noted thug teams like the Steelers and Pats.