PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 2/22

chicoruiz
02-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Reds:

Carlos Fisher (29) -Got the win in relief in his major league debut in 2009. You'd think that wouldn't be that big a deal, but he was the first Reds pitcher to do so since Hector Carrasco in 1995. His career right now appears to be moving in the wrong direction.

Sparky Anderson -Well, there was the hothead Sparky of the early years, and the Detroit Sparky who'd do things like say Mike Laga was going to be the greatest power hitter ever. I'm glad we got the mid-period Sparky; he was a heckuva manager.

Ryne Duren -The inspiration for the character Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn in Major League. A blazing fastball and glasses so thick you couldn't see his eyes behind them. And a drinking problem to boot. Nobody dug in on Ryne.

Others:

Don Wakamatsu (49) -The ex-Seattle manager was an 11th-round pick of the Reds. His dad was born in an internment camp during World War Two.

Steve Barber -First 20-game winner in modern Baltimore Oriole history. A famous character in Ball Four; he's never able to pitch, but he always insists, "My arm's not sore; it's just a little stiff".

Johnny Lucadello -Second baseman for the Browns. First player signed by his brother, the legendary scout Tony Lucadello. If you can get hold of it, read Prophet of the Sandlots, by Mark Winegardner. It's the story of Tony, who signed more major leaguers than anyone, including Mike Schmidt and Fergy Jenkins. Highly recommended.

Bob Borkowski
02-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Reds:

Sparky Anderson -Well, there was the hothead Sparky of the early years, and the Detroit Sparky who'd do things like say Mike Laga was going to be the greatest power hitter ever. I'm glad we got the mid-period Sparky; he was a heckuva manager.

Some Sparky quotes:

People who live in the past are generally afraid to compete in the present. I've got my faults, but living in the past is not one of them. There's no future in it.

Casey (Stengel) knew his baseball. He only made it look like he was fooling around. He knew every move that was ever invented and some that we haven't even caught onto yet.

They say the first World Series is the one you remember most. No, no, no. I guarantee you don't remember that one because the fantasy world you always dreamed about is suddenly real.

The great thing about baseball is when you're done, you'll only tell your grandchildren the good things. If they ask me about 1989, I'll tell them I had amnesia.

Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings.