PDA

View Full Version : Baseball IQ on MLB Network

cincinnati chili
02-23-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm completely addicted.

George Anderson
02-23-2012, 12:25 AM
There are alot of guys on that show that have a very low baseball IQ.

RedsManRick
02-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Love the show, but thoroughly unimpressed with the caliber of the competition.

George Anderson
02-23-2012, 12:30 AM

WOY would smoke em.

cincinnati chili
02-23-2012, 12:38 AM

Have you seen the guy from the Hall of Fame? Legit. Face like Buddy Hackett. Brain like Rain Man.

George Anderson
02-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Have you seen the guy from the Hall of Fame? Legit. Face like Buddy Hackett. Brain like Rain Man.

No but my favorite was a guy representing the A's. He was asked a question something along the lines of "Name all the Cy Young Award winners since 1990". The guy came up with no answers which made him look stupid but he ended up looking even more stupid when 3 of the answers played for the A's. (Welch, Eck and Zito). I was amazed.

RedFanAlways1966
02-23-2012, 06:38 AM

The one who only moves his upper left lip when talking? I am sure he was/is a lady-killer.

I love the baseball trivia. I do not like the dryness of the show (ah, baseball nerds are probably not the most fun to party with...no offense to my fellow RZ members!). Also do not like that someone has the chance to make up a double-digit deficit on the last question.

blumj
02-23-2012, 07:24 AM
I actually like that, but does anyone ever get the last question? Some of the contestents don't even seem to realize that they win if the other guy gets the last question wrong, no matter what the score is.

RedsManRick
02-23-2012, 07:54 AM

On the one I watched, he stunk it up and lost. He must have done better in earlier shows.

reds1869
02-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I like the basic idea of the show but hate the 9th inning. It essentially renders the first 25 minutes of the program useless. I also can't believe how poor some of the contestants are, many of us Redszoners could smoke 'em.

cumberlandreds
02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
WOY would smoke em.

Most anyone on RZ would smoke em. The ones I saw they weren't very good at all. I don't really like the 9th inning either. Too much luck involved .

cinreds21
02-23-2012, 09:26 AM
No but my favorite was a guy representing the A's. He was asked a question something along the lines of "Name all the Cy Young Award winners since 1990". The guy came up with no answers which made him look stupid but he ended up looking even more stupid when 3 of the answers played for the A's. (Welch, Eck and Zito). I was amazed.

How in the world do you not guess a single Cy Young award winner? That's extremely pathetic. Most of the contestants I have seen on there are complete idiots.

redsfan30
02-23-2012, 09:27 AM
When I first heard of this show coming out I was pumped...couldn't wait. After watching intently for the first week or so I was so underwhelmed I barely remembered to record it the following week.

I realize when the bright lights are on you it is tougher to come up with information you could spout off in your sleep. However, the level of competetion is just plain awful.

Since the Reds representative was eliminated, I have not watched a single episode, nor do I plan on doing so in the future.

George Anderson
02-23-2012, 09:33 AM
I realize when the bright lights are on you it is tougher to come up with information you could spout off in your sleep. .

I am sure nerves do play a big part but I think most of the problem is the contestants just are not that sharp on the history of the game. There have been one or two that impressed me, I think one was a Diamondbacks rep but for the most part they seem to have the knowledge of a Hot Stove League caller.

blumj
02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
I guess I'm the only one who likes that they can make up the whole thing in the 9th inning, but the guy who's behind should have to do something, the one who's ahead shouldn't be able to lose by not being able to do something.

RedsManRick
02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
I guess I'm the only one who likes that they can make up the whole thing in the 9th inning, but the guy who's behind should have to do something, the one who's ahead shouldn't be able to lose by not being able to do something.

I like it. It mirrors the real game. MLB is not like NFL or NBA. No matter how poorly you've done to that point, you still have a chance. There's no clock that makes a big deficit insurmountable. You just have to go nuts for one inning and you can make a game of it.

RedFanAlways1966
02-23-2012, 12:15 PM
I like it. It mirrors the real game. MLB is not like NFL or NBA. No matter how poorly you've done to that point, you still have a chance. There's no clock that makes a big deficit insurmountable. You just have to go nuts for one inning and you can make a game of it.

Ah, Rick, memories of Danny Graves-Cardinals-Mother's Day are now in my mind! Darn you. :)

dougdirt
02-23-2012, 12:45 PM

Maybe. Maybe not. There is no home team here and theoretically you could have no chance if the guy just bids 20 on the opening bid. What if he nails it? You literally had no chance to "defend". In real life, that doesn't exist.

RedsManRick
02-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Ah, Rick, memories of Danny Graves-Cardinals-Mother's Day are now in my mind! Darn you. :)

I was thinking more of the loss to the Braves in 2010 with the 9-3 bottom of the 9th comeback capped by Brooks Conrad's walk-off grand slam.

wheels
02-23-2012, 07:24 PM
It's only semi bad. Nothing matches the crumminess of "intentional talk".

That "GOT Heeeeem!" thing is the stuff of nightmares. Easily the worst Baseball show ever.

Baseball IQ would be better if they just recruited average seam heads, as opposed to middle management level suck up khaki pants types. Guys that clip their cell phones to their belts... What do they know about anything?

blumj
02-23-2012, 08:00 PM
That's what I'm hoping, that they do it again like a regular game show with tryouts for contestants. If they really want representatives of the teams, they can choose a fan of each team, at least that gives them a much bigger pool of contestants to choose from than employees, and they can toss out anyone who doesn't have the knowledge along with the nervous ones who go blank from the timer. Like me, even in the comfort of my living room just watching on tv.

cincinnati chili
02-24-2012, 01:42 AM
On the one I watched, he stunk it up and lost. He must have done better in earlier shows.

You must have the wrong guy. It's a single elimination tournament, and he's still going.

The 9th inning is great. If you don't want the other guy to win it all on the last question, then you're free to outbid him.

blumj
02-24-2012, 10:42 AM
You must have the wrong guy. It's a single elimination tournament, and he's still going.

The 9th inning is great. If you don't want the other guy to win it all on the last question, then you're free to outbid him.

You missed some episodes, it's over, and the HOF guy was eliminated before the final. Not sure how much more information anyone wants, since I'm sure they'll rerun it.

BoydsOfSummer
02-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I'd rather watch grass grow. Clubhouse Confidential on the other hand is must see t.v. Brian Kenny and Joe Sheehan are the best things to ever happen to that network besides what Costas does. Intentional Talk...good grief. What is it about Millar that everybody loves? I find him infinitely annoying and if I had to share a clubhouse with him it would have to be on the opposite end.

cincinnati chili
02-26-2012, 01:11 PM
You missed some episodes, it's over, and the HOF guy was eliminated before the final. Not sure how much more information anyone wants, since I'm sure they'll rerun it.

You're right. My bad. I watch late at night and it turns out that the "new episodes every Tuesday through Thursday" are earlier.

Spoiler alert: http://mlb.mlb.com/network/promotions/BBIQ.jsp

Boysofsummer: I don't mind Millar on TV, but I've heard he's a snake in real life. He also took a shot at Clubhouse confidential the other night which I agree is the crown jewel of that network.

The guy who drives me nuts on TV is Eric Byrnes. Maybe some of it is inexperience, but dude needs to switch to decaf and get a hair dryer.