lollipopcurve
02-23-2012, 08:14 AM
I'll guess St. Louis.

Cedric
02-23-2012, 08:33 AM
My guess is retirement.

Blitz Dorsey
02-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I think he's the one missing piece the Astros need. I'm predicting a homecoming.

Kidding! Man are the Astros going to be terrible this year. They're even worse than I thought after looking at their projected depth chart.

reds1869
02-23-2012, 08:55 AM
I think he's the one missing piece the Astros need. I'm predicting a homecoming.

Kidding! Man are the Astros going to be terrible this year. They're even worse than I thought after looking at their projected depth chart.

Nah, I think you were right about him being the one missing piece. He is the key to Houston avoiding the all-time loss record.

_Sir_Charles_
02-23-2012, 09:01 AM
You guys just watch...they'll be going with tons and tons of kids. Just watch them play well.

;):laugh: Sorry, I tried to type that with a straight face. :O)

Blitz Dorsey
02-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Well, in all seriousness, it looks like the Cardinals. Dammit.

This according to Cards beat writer Joe Strauss on Twitter:

"Close friend of Oswalt said he "would not be surprised" if Roy accepted Cardinals' terms. #Developing"

Tony Cloninger
02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Well, in all seriousness, it looks like the Cardinals. Dammit.

This according to Cards beat writer Joe Strauss on Twitter:

"Close friend of Oswalt said he "would not be surprised" if Roy accepted Cardinals' terms. #Developing"

:laugh: Are you kidding me? A "Close friend of Oswalt said he would not be surprised" ?? That settles it then. Even if it does happen....who cares? This guy is not someone to be feared with anymore due to his recent injury history.

Benihana
02-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Despite losing Pujols, Cards will unfortunately have some nice pickups this offseason in Beltran and Oswalt. Damn

Benihana
02-23-2012, 09:43 AM
:laugh: Are you kidding me? A "Close friend of Oswalt said he would not be surprised" ?? That settles it then. Even if it does happen....who cares? This guy is not someone to be feared with anymore due to his recent injury history.
Heyman reports it's not Boston or Texas.

cumberlandreds
02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Is he doing a show, ala LeBron, to announce his decision? :)

Tony Cloninger
02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Heyman reports it's not Boston or Texas.

Let it be St. Louis then. I do not fear Beltran or Oswalt..... and there is nothing we or the Reds can do about it anyways. The fear of those two along with the fear of what Theo Epstien is doing or might be doing.... is not something that I worry about. This Reds team should win 90 games....and make the playoffs.

Too bad they do not have HGH testing at the end of every month of the season....beacuse Oswalt, Beltran and Berkman are probably going to need it.

AmarilloRed
02-23-2012, 10:40 AM
I think it's retirement as well. All his agent said was that there would be a announcement today-not that he'll be signing with anyone.

Blitz Dorsey
02-23-2012, 10:41 AM

Uh, where did I say that "settles it"? I said, quote, "Looks like the Cardinals." Not really a definitive statement. But when the Cardinals' beat writer has a source close to Oswalt saying he wouldn't be surprised if it happens, and Oswalt says he's going to announce today, that seems to all add up to him picking the Cards. Not 100 percent or even close, but the signs are sure pointing in that direction.

klw
02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Cards GM categorical that Oswalt will not be pitching for them
https://twitter.com/#!/JoeStrauss/status/172707809509654528

Mo' insists Roy O "will not be pitching for the Cardinals." #Categorical

Tony Cloninger
02-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Uh, where did I say that "settles it"? I said, quote, "Looks like the Cardinals." Not really a definitive statement. But when the Cardinals' beat writer has a source close to Oswalt saying he wouldn't be surprised if it happens, and Oswalt says he's going to announce today, that seems to all add up to him picking the Cards. Not 100 percent or even close, but the signs are sure pointing in that direction.

I was just busting chops..... ;)

Blitz Dorsey
02-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Cards GM categorical that Oswalt will not be pitching for them
https://twitter.com/#!/JoeStrauss/status/172707809509654528

Now that's a little more like it. Call me crazy, but I'd rather Jake Westbrook be the Cards' No. 5 starter instead of Roy Oswalt. Even an almost-washed-up Oswalt is better than Westbrook at the top of his game.

Blitz Dorsey
02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
I was just busting chops..... ;)

I know, it was actually pretty funny.

:beerme:

redsfan30
02-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Retirement is my guess, as well.

klw
02-23-2012, 11:40 AM
More from St. Louis
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/mozeliak-oswalt-not-for-cards/article_586a3d84-5e35-11e1-943e-0019bb30f31a.html#.T0Zki6Dgjf0.twitter

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak on Thursday morning ruled out a possible acquisition of free agent starting pitcher Roy Oswalt, insisting the club is committed to its current starting rotation.
Mozeliak made the circuit of St. Louis media this morning, at one point insisting Oswalt "would not be pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals."
"I never had any confidence we were going to bring him in," Mozeliak said. "I was paying attention to the market and ultimately, I've always stated I've felt comfortable with our five."

redsfan30
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
The more I think about it, it has to be retirement. I would think if he were signing somewhere it would be a club announcement, not an Oswalt annoucement.

MLB doesn't operate in a high school football recruitment fashion. There is no table with three hats on it where the kid picks one and the fight song plays.

mattfeet
02-23-2012, 11:52 AM
The more I think about it, it has to be retirement. I would think if he were signing somewhere it would be a club announcement, not an Oswalt annoucement.

MLB doesn't operate in a high school football recruitment fashion. There is no table with three hats on it where the kid picks one and the fight song plays.

Now let's not forget how the NBA does things... :lol:

RedsManRick
02-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Good point. This is being handled pretty weirdly. I think he's not going to retire, but he is going to just hang tight and wait it out until one of this target teams antes up mid-season when a job comes available.

MikeS21
02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I see teams not wanting to to pay $7-$8 million for Oswalt. But surely he sees that isn't gonna happen. Why not take one of the $2-$3 million offers in order to prove he still has gas in the can?

TRF
02-23-2012, 12:08 PM
I think he realizes he has gas for just one year, and that for him, 2-3 mil isn't worth it.

Ron Madden
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Oswalt has two bad disc in his lower back, he should retire.

I don't know why there are fans worried about him going to the Cardinals for, Oswalt is done.

REDREAD
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
I think he realizes he has gas for just one year, and that for him, 2-3 mil isn't worth it.

That's what I think too. He wants to be paid like a TOR pitcher, not a reclamation project. I can understand where he's coming from. He's got plenty of money in the bank.
If I lost my job today, but had enough money to retire, I wouldn't be interested in taking a 50-80% paycut to work one more year with another company. I'm sure pitching probably aggravates his back pain as well.

traderumor
02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Oswalt has two bad disc in his lower back, he should retire.

I don't know why there are fans worried about him going to the Cardinals for, Oswalt is done.
Well, I used to write it off as myth, but there must be something in that Mississippi water, because guys you think are done go there and revive their careers time after time (cue Cyndi Lauper)

Roy Tucker
02-23-2012, 01:31 PM
My guess is that he's going to hang loose for the time being, stay in shape, and hope for a 1/2 year (or some fraction <1 season) contract from a contender who gets desperate for pitching.

I think he's found that the money he thinks he deserves just isn't there in the off-season.

mattfeet
02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Oswalt has announced he will continue throwing during the season and will be ready "mid-season" should a team need his services at that point in time.

-Matt

RBA
02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Oswalt has announced he will continue throwing during the season and will be ready "mid-season" should a team need his services at that point in time.

-Matt

So I guess he's going the Roger Clemens route. That's a good decision for him.

bucksfan2
02-23-2012, 01:51 PM
So I guess he's going the Roger Clemens route. That's a good decision for him.

Its probably the best decision he could have made. I think you could get 120 IP with an ERA around 4 out of Oswalt this season. Why not use it from June on instead of April until Autust?

RedsManRick
02-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I think he's not going to retire, but he is going to just hang tight and wait it out until one of his target teams antes up mid-season when a job comes available.

Do I win something?

Joseph
02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Translation: Oswalt has announced he could not find a team that wanted him enough to pay him 10MM per year, so he'll sit home until the Yanks or Red Sox get desperate and offer him 5MM for the rest of this season and 12MM next.

sonny
02-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Translation: Oswalt has announced he could not find a team that wanted him enough to pay him 10MM per year, so he'll sit home until the Yanks or Red Sox get desperate and offer him 5MM for the rest of this season and 12MM next.

Bingo.

Smart move if your Roy, that's where he's got the most leverage.

Spitball
02-23-2012, 11:11 PM
I think he could sign with the Red Sox today if they were on his radar of teams. I predict he will be waiting on the Cardinals or Rangers to need a pitcher.

Sea Ray
02-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Bingo.

Smart move if your Roy, that's where he's got the most leverage.

Time will tell. I don't see that happening but I didn't see Ryan Braun getting off either

RANDY IN INDY
02-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Roy doesn't want to pitch. He wants to get paid. I'd say Ol' Roy shouldn't be hurting for cash.

cumberlandreds
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Roy doesn't want to pitch. He wants to get paid. I'd say Ol' Roy shouldn't be hurting for cash.

That's what I think too. He may get fooled if none of big money teams don't really need the pitching this season. He's lost his love for the game and I would stay away from him.

blumj
02-24-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't know if that's necessarily true, it may be that he doesn't want to get stuck on a noncontender far away from his home or without a spot for him in the starting rotation. Money aside, none of the offers he appears to have gotten seem like a great fit for him to me.

RANDY IN INDY
02-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Doesn't want to play very bad and only on his terms.

Bumstead
02-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Doesn't want to play very bad and only on his terms.

And? He's put in his time, he's a free agent, why shouldn't he play on his terms? :confused:

Bum

RANDY IN INDY
02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
With his age and balky back, I guess that is his option.

Bumstead
02-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Actually just being alive, that is his option. The guy has made millions in this game and proven that he is a winner when he is healthy. He doesn't owe anybody anything. He's a free agent just like I am everyday of his life (of course, I have a job but I don't have a contract; line up suitors! :p), why does it bother people when players want to choose who they play for late in their careers?

Bum

Chip R
02-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Actually just being alive, that is his option. The guy has made millions in this game and proven that he is a winner when he is healthy. He doesn't owe anybody anything. He's a free agent just like I am everyday of his life (of course, I have a job but I don't have a contract; line up suitors! :p), why does it bother people when players want to choose who they play for late in their careers?

Bum

I don't it's necessarily that that's bothering people about this. I think it's more along the lines that he was trying to hold teams up for what people (rightly) believed to be an unreasonable amount of money. The guy is on the wrong side of 30 with a bad back and he's asking for $10M and a rotation spot. Stands to reason that he's gotta eat a little crow since no one signed him for what he wanted. With athletes making millions and millions of dollars, it's gotta satisfy some people that are turned off by that.

Bumstead
02-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't it's necessarily that that's bothering people about this. I think it's more along the lines that he was trying to hold teams up for what people (rightly) believed to be an unreasonable amount of money. The guy is on the wrong side of 30 with a bad back and he's asking for $10M and a rotation spot. Stands to reason that he's gotta eat a little crow since no one signed him for what he wanted. With athletes making millions and millions of dollars, it's gotta satisfy some people that are turned off by that.

We, the fans, allow them to make those millions. I find the salaries ridiculous but I have no problem with them getting what they can. We are willingly paying them for it. That's life here in this great country. Too many people just don't get that. Before this gets tooooo political, I will move on.

Pitch or don't pitch, I think Oswalt has had a fine career and if he wants to set limits on salary and teams, that's his prerogative. IMHO

Bum

kaldaniels
02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
We, the fans, allow them to make those millions. I find the salaries ridiculous but I have no problem with them getting what they can. We are willingly paying them for it. That's life here in this great country. Too many people just don't get that. Before this gets tooooo political, I will move on.

Pitch or don't pitch, I think Oswalt has had a fine career and if he wants to set limits on salary and teams, that's his prerogative. IMHO

Bum

It's not like individual fans can be singled out for "willingly" paying these guys so much. It is more a function of the quantity of fans vs the "limited" amount of product vis a vis the dollars involved. That money has to go somewhere.

RANDY IN INDY
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
I like Oswalt. He has been a really good pitcher. I always liked the way he pitched. I think he is asking far more than anyone wants to give him at this point in his career. He will probably end up pitching for a contender this season at some point.

Vottomatic
02-27-2012, 03:03 PM
I like Oswalt. He has been a really good pitcher. I always liked the way he pitched. I think he is asking far more than anyone wants to give him at this point in his career. He will probably end up pitching for a contender this season at some point.

He has positioned himself to be signed when the first major injury happens to a key starter of a contending team. He has let his intentions be known he wants to play for a contender, and his price will be more likely to be met when some team is desperate. Plus, good or bad, he gets to miss all of spring training. Might be bad for him physically though.

Sea Ray
02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Time will tell if Oswalt made a good financial move. It'll be fun to watch