PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 2/24

chicoruiz
02-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Reds:

Brian Esposito (33) -Three career PAs in the bigs, and not likely to get any more with the Reds this season.

DeWayne Wise (34) -A fifth-round pick of the Reds who was taken by the Blue Jays in the Rule 5 draft. Has bounced around to a number of clubs, including the Reds; he's currently in the Yankee organization.

Bronson Arroyo (35) -In its 121-year history, there have been only four perfect games pitched in the International League. Bronson has one of them. I predict he makes a minor comeback this year.

Nick Esasky (52) -He lost some of the first part of his career to Pete Rose's selfish quest for the hit record, and some of the last part due to recurring vertigo. For a couple of years in between, he was a nice player.

Others:

Eddie Murray (56) -One of 12 kids. Played high school ball on the same team as Ozzie Smith. Only Mickey Mantle hit more homers as a switch hitter.

Bugs Raymond -I was going to relate some humorous anecdotes about Bugs being a drunk, but the more I read the more it was actually kind of sad. Bugs had a lot of natural ability, but he was a severe alcoholic, and it wrecked his career and his family, and eventually contributed to his early and violent death. Alcoholism, even at a distance, is not funny or cute or quaint.

Honus Wagner -Maybe the greatest all-around player ever. Bill James selected his 1908 season as the best individual seaon ever. In a league where the average team ERA was 2.35, Honus hit .354 with 109 RBIs and played gold-glove-level defense.

UKFlounder
02-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Didn't one of Murray's brothers also reach the big leagues? I think it was Rich Murray, if I remember my old baseball cards correctly :)

Eddie was one of my favorite non-Reds during the 80s and 90s - he just seemed to be an excellent hitter and I always thought he was one of the best in the game back then

cumberlandreds
02-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Didn't one of Murray's brothers also reach the big leagues? I think it was Rich Murray, if I remember my old baseball cards correctly :)

Eddie was one of my favorite non-Reds during the 80s and 90s - he just seemed to be an excellent hitter and I always thought he was one of the best in the game back then

Yes Rich Murray was Eddie's brother. He didn't play long and I don't even remember who he played with now.

Of course as most of you know, Honus Wagner has one of the most valued baseball cards in the history of collecting. I think it was Wayne Gretzky that paid about $1m for one of those a number of years ago.

Big Klu
02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Yes Rich Murray was Eddie's brother. He didn't play long and I don't even remember who he played with now.

Of course as most of you know, Honus Wagner has one of the most valued baseball cards in the history of collecting. I think it was Wayne Gretzky that paid about $1m for one of those a number of years ago.

Rich Murray played for the Giants.

Bob Borkowski
02-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Reds:

Bronson Arroyo (35) -In its 121-year history, there have been only four perfect games pitched in the International League. Bronson has one of them. I predict he makes a minor comeback this year.

:thumbup: Well done young man. Arroyo bounced back to his old self in 2012.