PDA

View Full Version : Mike Minor Looking For a Trade?

Benihana
02-24-2012, 12:11 PM
This seems pretty outrageous- I hope for his sake these comments were taken out of context:

GM Frank Wren told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Mike Minor is the “incumbent” in the competition for the Braves' final rotation spot because of his experience and left-handedness. However, Minor says he would prefer not to go to Triple-A if he fails to earn a rotation spot after pitching well.

“Then there’s no reason I shouldn’t pitch in the big leagues somewhere,” he said. “If they don’t have room for me here, then there’s no reason they shouldn’t trade me or just do something with me.”

Minor, 24, clarified his comments to manager Fredi Gonzalez and some teammates, according to MLB.com's Mark Bowman (Twitter links). Minor says the Braves should trade him if he hasn't earned a lasting spot in the Major Leagues by next year.

Minor owns a 4.74 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 in 123 1/3 innings at the Major League level. The 2009 first rounder made 15 starts for the Braves last year and another 16 at Triple-A. He is currently vying for the fifth spot in the Braves’ rotation, along with prospects Julio Teheran and Randall Delgado.

www.mlbtraderumors.com

If Stubbs doesn't put it together this year and Minor continues to sulk, maybe a change of scenery swap of the two next offseason could make some sense?

Griffey012
02-24-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't think his comments are outrageous. He said if he pitches "well"l in the spring. At some point the guy is going to have to get a full time job in the bigs so he can get a big payday. If he is performing and stuck out of the rotation, it is fair for him to want or demand a trade. I would have to believe if we still had alonso and he hit well and was sent to triple A he could easily make the same argument.

I would be happy to see us make a push for him, not sure I would do it with stubbs though.

Benihana
02-24-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't think his comments are outrageous. He said if he pitches "well"l in the spring. At some point the guy is going to have to get a full time job in the bigs so he can get a big payday. If he is performing and stuck out of the rotation, it is fair for him to want or demand a trade. I would have to believe if we still had alonso and he hit well and was sent to triple A he could easily make the same argument.

I would be happy to see us make a push for him, not sure I would do it with stubbs though.

I do think it is outrageous for a 24 year old, 2 years after being drafted, to demand a trade because they're not a full time major leaguer.

I wouldn't do it with Stubbs now, but if he doesn't show improvement in 2012...

camisadelgolf
02-24-2012, 07:22 PM
To be fair, he didn't 'demand' a trade. His comments were definitely unwise, but I think the fact that this turned into an article is making this out to be something it isn't.

Kc61
02-24-2012, 10:14 PM
To be fair, he didn't 'demand' a trade. His comments were definitely unwise, but I think the fact that this turned into an article is making this out to be something it isn't.

I don't think his comments were unwise. The guy believes he belongs in the big leagues and he said so. More power to him.

camisadelgolf
02-24-2012, 10:58 PM
I don't think his comments were unwise. The guy believes he belongs in the big leagues and he said so. More power to him.
Well, I don't have a problem with his comments, personally, but I feel like it was bad timing and unwise of him to word his thoughts the way he did, not to mention publicly. Fair or not, he's gotten a lot of scrutiny for what he said, and I feel like that hurts him more than it helps him.

alexad
02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Braves pitching to Reds = NOT GOOD. SEE previous trades with Braves. Does BELL ring a bell.