PDA

View Full Version : Heisey/Ludwick

mace
02-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Gary Schatz's blog is ostensibly about the learning curve for Heisey and Stubbs, but Dusty's comments lend some insight into the potential platoon in left field. Maybe it's been discussed before and I missed it, but this was the part I found interesting:

"Heisey had trouble against pitchers that used the other side of the plate. I know where he likes the ball. I know there are certain pitchers he will struggle against. That's my job. He likes the ball up and in. Ludwick likes the ball down and away. It isn't always lefty, righty. People wonder why a guy hits three home runs one day and isn't in the lineup the next day. He was having success against a pitcher he should hit."

http://fullofschatz.blogspot.com/2012/02/live-batting-practice-hitters-nightmare.html?spref=fb

If the Reds targeted Ludwick specifically because he hits down-and-away, as opposed to Heisey hitting up-and-in, well, I guess I'm impressed with that.

Blitz Dorsey
02-25-2012, 09:33 PM
I think this is going to be a very-solid platoon situation for the Reds, with Heisey hopefully getting the majority of PT.

Playadlc
02-25-2012, 11:09 PM
I question why any hitter would ever like the ball down and away.

mth123
02-26-2012, 04:20 AM
I think this is going to be a very-solid platoon situation for the Reds, with Heisey hopefully getting the majority of PT.

The general platoon framework should be Stubbs and Ludwick with Heisey playing CF vs RHP and LF against LHP. There would be some variation in bigger parks where Ludwick's fly ball bat is less effective and the Bruce/Stubbs/Heisey defense is needed to cover the big OF territory. Ludwick might play against some LHP when Bruce or Heisey rest. I see Heisey with 500 PAs, Ludwick with 400 and Stubbs with 300 as being the best plan.

Of couse that's not what will happen. Stubbs will be in there every day taking the fat ones, getting behind in the count and then flailing away against the RH curve ball with 2 strikes as it breaks down and away toward the end of his bat or causing him to miss completely.

lollipopcurve
02-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Not sure how much practical sense Dusty is making here. I don't think you'll find many major league starting pitchers who can't help but pitch to hitters' strengths. With any kind of scouting and preparation, they will work to hitters' weaknesses -- or at least avoid hitters' hot zones.

Of course, pitchers do vary in how they work hitters and in where they tend to get outs in and out of the strike zone, based on their repertoire. It could be that the distinction Dusty is making does boil down to playing Heisey against harder throwers -- they'll be the ones who are up in the zone -- and Ludwick against softer throwers.

I do agree with those who are saying that Stubbs needs to be in this mix to a certain extent, too.

traderumor
02-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Not sure how much practical sense Dusty is making here. I don't think you'll find many major league starting pitchers who can't help but pitch to hitters' strengths. With any kind of scouting and preparation, they will work to hitters' weaknesses -- or at least avoid hitters' hot zones.

Of course, pitchers do vary in how they work hitters and in where they tend to get outs in and out of the strike zone, based on their repertoire. It could be that the distinction Dusty is making does boil down to playing Heisey against harder throwers -- they'll be the ones who are up in the zone -- and Ludwick against softer throwers.

I do agree with those who are saying that Stubbs needs to be in this mix to a certain extent, too.I think you are only talking about the top 10% of MLB pitchers. If most MLB pitchers could do as you say, we'd be looking at soccer scores most games.

Vottomatic
02-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Right now, the Reds are looking to add a 5th outfielder who likes the ball up and away. Then they will have covered all types of hitters for LF. :D

Spitball
02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Are we going to see nickanme for the leftfield platoon like Heiswick or Ludesey? I sure hope not. :)