PDA

View Full Version : Zumaya has torn UCL

cinreds21
02-26-2012, 02:24 PM
This is horrible. I am sure you've heard of the former Tigers prospect. Now with Minnesota, he has suffered yet another injury. This is likely career ending for the 27-year-old. He has been injured on five different occasions ranging from hand to shoulder to elbow.

I just feel bad for him. I always thought he could be a great setup man at worse. It's just sad to see such a promising career derailed by injuries.

dougdirt
02-26-2012, 02:40 PM
It is those mechanics that are just brutal. Bummer for him, he had an electric arm. Hopefully he saved some of his money.

reds1869
02-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Very sad. He had electric stuff and could have been a brilliant reliever when healthy, but as dougdirt said those mechanics were brutal. His arm was never going to last.

Tom Servo
02-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Jeez, I think he should just give up the dream at this point.

LoganBuck
02-26-2012, 04:49 PM
The sad thing is that he is probably best known for hurting his wrist playing Guitar Hero.

The guy had electric stuff. His arm breaking in 2010 was a sick thing to actually watch live on the MLB network.

Dom Heffner
02-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer- but he threw so hard you almost had to see it coming.

BCubb2003
02-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer- but he threw so hard you almost had to see it coming.

Reds fans shouldn't be saying that ...

Plus Plus
02-27-2012, 01:29 AM
小葛瑞菲 vs Zumaya 104mph - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1J6oQspGF4)

Aroldis Chapman - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHp5UAKpehI&feature=endscreen)

There is a pretty distinct difference between the pitching motions of Zumaya and Chapman.

dougdirt
02-27-2012, 02:56 AM

Had nothing to do with how hard he threw. Had everything to do with his arm action and his getting his elbow much higher than his shoulder while he was loading. Hyperabduction is a very bad thing and Zumaya was one of the worst around.

dougdirt
02-27-2012, 02:57 AM
There is a pretty distinct difference between the pitching motions of Zumaya and Chapman.

Chapman loads behind his back (that is good). Zumaya loads above his shoulder (that is bad).

*BaseClogger*
02-27-2012, 03:11 AM
小葛瑞菲 vs Zumaya 104mph - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1J6oQspGF4)

I was at that game. It's easily my favorite Ken Griffey Jr. memory of my lifetime. There was a lot of excitement around Zumaya in Detroit that summer and Griffey hit an absolute BOMB of a grand slam off of him to take the lead. Unfortunately, David Weathers blew the save when Curtis Granderson hit an opposite-field homer down the left-field line that Ryan Freel almost robbed if he had timed it right, and Craig Monroe won it in extras for the Tigers. I got beer thrown on me for my Dunn jersey in the cheap seats. Gotta love Detroit.

Two years later, I was on the field and got the chance to ask Griffey about that specific home run. I described the game to him, but he said he couldn't remember it. I was astonished... how could he not remember a grand slam he hit to take the lead against an AL team he rarely plays? His response: "Kid, I've hit a lot of home runs"...

cinreds21
02-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Joel Zumaya told reporters Monday that he hasn't decided whether he's going to retire.
Zumaya called it a "family decision" and said that he will speak with other pitchers who have undergone Tommy John surgery to get a gauge on what the recovery process is like. The 27-year-old tore his UCL after throwing just 13 pitches in Twins camp. He'll keep $400,000 of the $850,000 deal he agreed to in January.

kaldaniels
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Chapman loads behind his back (that is good). Zumaya loads above his shoulder (that is bad).

Reminds me of a classic Simpsons scene.

The Simpsons - Frogurt - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_pqnsKWlpc)

kaldaniels
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Dp

muddie
02-27-2012, 01:50 PM
According to my math, Zumaya earned $30,769 per pitch this spring. I always liked the guy. Went to see him do a rehab appearance several years ago when Toledo was in Richmond when Richmond was still with the Braves. Sad.

Saw him hit 107 in Lakeland during spring training several years ago. I kind of think he will retire, we'll see.

MartyFan
03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Just read on MLBTR where Zumaya has opted for TJ Surgery.

wondering if he would be a good candidate to sign through rehab to a minor league deal the same way the Reds did Arredondo?

I know his mechanics are...well, the entire reason why he is injured and when changing that you never know what sort of pitcher you will get on the flip side of a TJ Surgery...still, he is just now 27 (i think...)

Here's a link to the article... http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120304&content_id=27002460&notebook_id=27002462&vkey=notebook_min&c_id=min

edabbs44
03-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Has anyone ever come out with a list of great, good, bad and horrible mechanics? Would be interested in seeing it prior to the injury rather than hearing how bad the mechanics were afterwards.

dougdirt
03-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Has anyone ever come out with a list of great, good, bad and horrible mechanics? Would be interested in seeing it prior to the injury rather than hearing how bad the mechanics were afterwards.

My general rule is that in which Chris O'Leary has been talking about for years now.

Loading with your elbow higher than your shoulder is bad news bears.

Loading behind your back is good.

That is always the first thing that I look at when evaluating young pitchers I haven't seen before.

edabbs44
03-05-2012, 07:21 PM
My general rule is that in which Chris O'Leary has been talking about for years now.

Loading with your elbow higher than your shoulder is bad news bears.

Loading behind your back is good.

That is always the first thing that I look at when evaluating young pitchers I haven't seen before.

So who are we looking at as injury candidates? And what injuries do that type of loading make you more predisposed to? Shoulder, elbow, etc?

dougdirt
03-05-2012, 07:23 PM
So who are we looking at as injury candidates? And what injuries do that type of loading make you more predisposed to? Shoulder, elbow, etc?

I don't have a list of all the guys who load that way, unfortunately. The injury type doesn't seem to be good for either the elbow or shoulder. Both seem to go down with guys who throw that way.

LegallyMinded
03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I don't have a list of all the guys who load that way, unfortunately. The injury type doesn't seem to be good for either the elbow or shoulder. Both seem to go down with guys who throw that way.

Jeff Zimmerman has put together a system (http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/2012-starting-pitcher-dl-projections/) for projecting likely DL stints for pitchers. Rather than looking for a list of guys who load with their elbow higher than their shoulder, you could try working backwards from Zimmerman's list by checking the mechanics of the pitchers most likely to land on the DL.