PDA

View Full Version : Reds and Marshall nearing extension

[deleted]
02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/reds-sean-marshall-nearing-agreement-on-extension-.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Love it. Makes me feel a whole lot better about that trade.

justincredible
02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Fantastic news.

RedsfaninMT
02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
AGREED! That makes the trade make a whole lot more sense.

CRedsLarkin11
02-26-2012, 02:11 PM
This is big for the Reds. Really would be nice to have Marshall for a few years. According to Fay's twitter, the free agents for the Reds after this season are Marshall, Cairo, Rolen, and Ludwick. If that is correct and we sign Marshall, this team can remain virtually unchanged for a couple of seasons.

Old NDN
02-26-2012, 02:36 PM
This is big for the Reds. Really would be nice to have Marshall for a few years. According to Fay's twitter, the free agents for the Reds after this season are Marshall, Cairo, Rolen, and Ludwick. If that is correct and we sign Marshall, this team can remain virtually unchanged for a couple of seasons.

What about Madson?

malcontent
02-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Good to hear.

I'd still like to see Marshall give starting another shot.

Leave Chapman in the pen and we'd still have two lefties there.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
02-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Good to hear.

I'd still like to see Marshall give starting another shot.

Leave Chapman in the pen and we'd still have two lefties there.

I am very good friends with a cubs fan (regrettably), and when we were talking about the deal I mentioned that he has a good chance of being our closer after madson's departure. He seemed apprehensive. He boasted about Marshall's flexibility in that the guy shouldn't be limited to single inning appearances. Sometimes they needed him for 3+ innings, and he gave it to them. In a non closer role we also have the ability to throw him in at any point in the game when we need it most rather than just the ninth inning which many will argue is more valuable. In fact, he thought that, if anything, marshall should get the chance to start again. Either way, a guy like marshall in the pen is huge asset

Nathan
02-26-2012, 03:13 PM
What about Madson?

I'm guessing he didn't count him because of the options. How he missed Phillips beats me.

Thomaswaynem
02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
I wonder what BP thinks of this?

BPhil4
02-26-2012, 04:12 PM
I wonder what BP thinks of this?

Brandon is my fab player, but he can't be mad. His people have stretched this out as long as they can.

malcontent
02-26-2012, 04:38 PM
I am very good friends with a cubs fan (regrettably), and when we were talking about the deal I mentioned that he has a good chance of being our closer after madson's departure. He seemed apprehensive. He boasted about Marshall's flexibility in that the guy shouldn't be limited to single inning appearances. Sometimes they needed him for 3+ innings, and he gave it to them. In a non closer role we also have the ability to throw him in at any point in the game when we need it most rather than just the ninth inning which many will argue is more valuable. In fact, he thought that, if anything, marshall should get the chance to start again. Either way, a guy like marshall in the pen is huge asset

Interesting. I agree, he's a huge asset in the pen.

Not sure anyone has a clue on whether Marshall would be interested in starting again. It would admittedly be a bit of a a gamble, considering his dominance in the set-up role during the last two years.

But it isn't as if he hasn't had any success as a starter...in 19 starts (21 games total) in 2007 at age 24, he had an ERA+ of 118, better than anything Homer Bailey has ever put together.

If Marshall could duplicate his relief numbers as a starter, his value to the Reds would be doubled or more.

Part of my thinking has to do with my doubts about Chapman succeeding as a starter.

[deleted]
02-26-2012, 04:54 PM
\If Marshall could duplicate his relief peripherals as a starter, his value to the Reds would be doubled or more.

Far more than double. If Marshall could replicate his peripherals over 180-200 innings, he'd be the best starting pitcher in all of baseball. Obviously expecting that is out of the question, but it is worth having a discussion over. On one hand, he's got a really good thing going in the bullpen and screwing with that would be disastrous. On the other, if he has such incredible command of his curve and is consistently getting people out with it, why couldn't he start games? He kills lefties, of course, but the splits in general are very good, so he's not just a LOOGY. I wouldn't think it's a durability issue, as he came up as a SP. Could just be a head thing. His strike outs jumped way up and the HR rates plummeted once he switched to a relieving role. I say leave him for now, too much riding on these coming seasons to pull a Danny Graves 2.0.

OGB
02-26-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't think nearly enough people are giving adequate credit to how much the Reds bullpen overhaul will help this year's team. Last year's pen was overworked and for the most part pretty lousy. If you can expect some Improvement from Lecure and Ondrusek after their first year of extended big league work, improvement from Arredondo now that he's further removed from injury, and even possible improvement from Masset who won't be forced into as many critical high stress situations and you'll have one of the best pens in baseball top to bottom.

bigredmechanism
02-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Multiple lights-out innings reminds me of Scott Williamson in the late 90s. Before his arm was shot, that guy was nasty out of the pen.

Jr's Boy
02-26-2012, 09:07 PM
They need to get Philips signed before talking all these extensions with other players.Or play out his option year,find a new team,and leave us with another infield question mark.

jhu1321
02-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Agree with OGB. Love the Latos addition but our pen is going to be plain nasty. I'll be rooting to get to the 7 th and watching these guys go lights out.

malcontent
02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
What I never got was why WJ stated that he saw Wood as a #2 starter.

Maybe if he takes the wraps off that knockout change that we heard about forever when he was in the minors but never saw when he reached the majors....

malcontent
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
What I never got was why WJ stated that he saw Wood as a #2 starter.

Maybe if he takes the wraps off that knockout change that we heard about forever when he was in the minors but never saw when he reached the majors....

nmculbreth
02-27-2012, 01:20 PM
They need to get Philips signed before talking all these extensions with other players.Or play out his option year,find a new team,and leave us with another infield question mark.

I think re-signing Marshall is a higher priority than extending Brandon Phillips.

First and foremost, it's a whole lot cheaper to sign Marshall. Marshall is probably looking at a deal somewhere in the neighborhood of $15mil over three years, while Brandon Phillips is probably looking for something around $50mil over four years, if not more. Locking up Marshall for $5mil a year likely won't inhibit the Red for making a play to extend Votto, signing Phillips could.

In addition, if Marshall were to leave via free agency the Reds would likely get no comp picks but I think it's a pretty fair bet that if Phillips were to leave the Reds would minimally offer him a one year qualifying offer and net the comp picks if he signed elsewhere.

ballfour
02-27-2012, 01:43 PM
I like the idea of this extension.

The thought of so many contracts expiring at the end of the season was killing me, and the season hasn't even started yet. In the best of all worlds, we see BP and Votto extended as well. I don't know if the Reds pockets are deep enough for that, but I hope they find a way to make it happen.

RedsRock
02-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Reds just announced 3 year extension via Twitter. Terms not disclosed.

[deleted]
02-27-2012, 02:44 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Reds announced a three-year extension with lefty reliever Sean Marshall, which runs through 2015. The contract is worth $16.5MM, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

A little pricey for a reliever, but if Marshall plays at the level he's been at the last two seasons, it's a bargain (especially compared to what other guys get on the open market, just for having the word 'closer' attached to them).

Also worth noting:

there's $2MM in performance bonuses each year, half for games started and half for games finished.

Hmm.

The DARK
02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
;2539932']http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Reds announced a three-year extension with lefty reliever Sean Marshall, which runs through 2015. The contract is worth $16.5MM, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

A little pricey for a reliever, but if Marshall plays at the level he's been at the last two seasons, it's a bargain (especially compared to what other guys get on the open market, just for having the word 'closer' attached to them).

Also worth noting:

there's $2MM in performance bonuses each year, half for games started and half for games finished.

Hmm.

There was a lot of speculation before the trade about the Cubs about potentially converting him into a starter. That said, that's more likely to be an emergency contingency than anything else. He only throws 91 MPH, and reportedly tops out at 87 or 88 MPH during his attempts at starting. He also is able to throw his elite curveball so much more often than as a starter. If we swing a trade at some point, Chapman doesn't pan out, multiple guys go down, etc, he's depth, which is a nice bonus to get out of a closer.

It's a pretty great signing if you ask me. Jocketty has shown a good feel for the bullpen market, though I still think giving up Torreyes and Sappelt was excessive. We have serious depth and potential in AAA, reliable pieces in utility roles, and a few elite setup men and closers.

redsfanmia
02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Over payed IMO.

OGB
03-01-2012, 05:22 AM
I think re-signing Marshall is a higher priority than extending Brandon Phillips.

First and foremost, it's a whole lot cheaper to sign Marshall. Marshall is probably looking at a deal somewhere in the neighborhood of $15mil over three years, while Brandon Phillips is probably looking for something around $50mil over four years, if not more. Locking up Marshall for $5mil a year likely won't inhibit the Red for making a play to extend Votto, signing Phillips could.

In addition, if Marshall were to leave via free agency the Reds would likely get no comp picks but I think it's a pretty fair bet that if Phillips were to leave the Reds would minimally offer him a one year qualifying offer and net the comp picks if he signed elsewhere.

I think the Reds evaluation of Henry Rodriguez and Neftali Soto this season will go a long way torward determining wether either of these two are eventually resigned.

jhu1321
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
I think the Reds evaluation of Henry Rodriguez and Neftali Soto this season will go a long way torward determining wether either of these two are eventually resigned.

I think regardless of their valuation of Soto they are going to do everything they can to keep Votto. Agree on Henry Rodriguez.

Cincyfan1009
03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
I am so glad that we got Marshall!