PDA

View Full Version : Royals' Perez signs five-year deal after only 30 big league games

cinreds21
02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
Uhhhhhhh. It includes three club options years as well.

Plus Plus
02-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I read on twitter that the deal is only worth $7m over the 5 years. (was on phone, so no link)

Johnny Footstool
02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/27/3455834/royals-sign-catcher-perez-to-multiyear.html

Five years, $7 million. Three option years.

The deal’s total potential value over eight years is $26.75 million, although that would require Perez to reach all possible incentives and performance bonuses. The base value of the deal, if all options are exercised, is $21.75 million.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/27/3455834/royals-sign-catcher-perez-to-multiyear.html#storylink=cpy

RedsManRick
02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Unless he totally craters, it's a nice deal for the Royals. Relatively little downside for them, fair amount of upside if he's any good.

Edd Roush
02-28-2012, 08:23 AM
If Mesoraco were willing to take a similar deal, I would do it in a heartbeat if I am Walt.

Benihana
02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
If Mesoraco were willing to take a similar deal, I would do it in a heartbeat if I am Walt.

x2. Especially after hearing about Yadier Molina's reported extension.

dougdirt
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
x2. Especially after hearing about Yadier Molina's reported extension.

Wrote about that this morning on my site. While I think Mesoraco would garner a higher money deal, would he turn down something like this:

9,000,000 (club option, $2M buyout)
11,000,000 (club option)

Guaranteed money is $17.75M for 6 years.

RedlegJake
03-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Nice deal from Royals standpoint. The Royals are not going anywhere despite there great group of youngsters - they may at some point get a division title but with their owner I doubt much more. He has a 'poor me' owner complex that I hate and I doubt the Royals ever keep any of their young stars like Hosmer or Mustakis or Gordon past their FA years. They'll be a perpetual star machine for other teams churning out superstars for prospects and always having a great farm system and a major league team on the cusp but without any anchor stars to carry them farther. He (Glass) is much worse than Cast about complaining about the costs of a small market and his inability to do anything - he openly talks about never being able to keep or to sign big stars. I love the Royals young players - they are a lot like the Reds but their ownership is a world different. Reds fans should feel lucky to have an owner who at least tries and and fights the current instead of just giving up and swimming downstream.

Ghosts of 1990
03-05-2012, 09:45 AM
What is the book on this guy? What kind of upside does he have this season? Anyone familiar with him as a prospect?

Blitz Dorsey
03-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Nice deal from Royals standpoint. The Royals are not going anywhere despite there great group of youngsters - they may at some point get a division title but with their owner I doubt much more. He has a 'poor me' owner complex that I hate and I doubt the Royals ever keep any of their young stars like Hosmer or Mustakis or Gordon past their FA years. They'll be a perpetual star machine for other teams churning out superstars for prospects and always having a great farm system and a major league team on the cusp but without any anchor stars to carry them farther. He (Glass) is much worse than Cast about complaining about the costs of a small market and his inability to do anything - he openly talks about never being able to keep or to sign big stars. I love the Royals young players - they are a lot like the Reds but their ownership is a world different. Reds fans should feel lucky to have an owner who at least tries and and fights the current instead of just giving up and swimming downstream.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. I've always liked B-Cast but this makes me like him even more.