PDA

View Full Version : Ways to see the Reds cheap...

LexRedsFan
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey guys, I've got a question here.

I've lived in Somerset, Ky (3 hours to Cincy) most of my life until I went to UK for college, but I've still always lived in Somerset for the summer. I'm staying in Lex this summer.

Just curious the best way to see the Reds on the cheap. Really don't mind getting not so great seats.

TIA.

Eric the Red
02-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Best way to see the Reds on the cheap is to go on a weeknight (Monday - Thursday) and either buy the cheapest ticket in the stadium from the Reds ticket booth (used to be $5) and sit virtually anywhere or buy a ticket from a scalper near or after the start of the game. Plenty of cheap tickets available for the weeknight games.

brad1176
02-27-2012, 09:03 PM
The bleacher seats are only 7-10 bucks I believe and they're not that bad.

LexRedsFan
02-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Best way to see the Reds on the cheap is to go on a weeknight (Monday - Thursday) and either buy the cheapest ticket in the stadium from the Reds ticket booth (used to be $5) and sit virtually anywhere or buy a ticket from a scalper near or after the start of the game. Plenty of cheap tickets available for the weeknight games.

This is pretty much what I figured from attendance numbers and watching games on TV.

I was just curious about stubhub vs. reds.com and parking. I know last year I parked in Newport on the cheap and walked -- still the best option for a cheap college kid?

goreds2
02-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Click on this link during the season. (Reds tickets by owners/not dealers)

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/tix?query=reds&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Eric the Red
02-27-2012, 10:47 PM
This is pretty much what I figured from attendance numbers and watching games on TV.

I was just curious about stubhub vs. reds.com and parking. I know last year I parked in Newport on the cheap and walked -- still the best option for a cheap college kid?

Newport is likely the best option. I park at the Chiquita center from time to time for $5, its about a 10 minute walk to the stadium.

LexRedsFan
02-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Click on this link during the season. (Reds tickets by owners/not dealers)

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/tix?query=reds&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Never occurred to me to check Craigslist.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

justincredible
02-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Newport is definitely the cheapest parking option during the week. I believe it is $2 to park on a weeknight.

10xWSChamps
02-28-2012, 03:12 AM
As a Cards fan, my dad has always had season tickets so it's been nice to be able to get free tickets a lot. But in high school I'd always go with friends and after awhile we ended up getting into a bit of a routine:

Get to the ballpark about 20 minutes before game time. Wait til first pitch and then go buy from a scalper. We actually ended up having a guy we always bought from and he'd give us his best tickets left for $5 apiece. Parking ended up being the most expensive part of the night :laugh:

Often times we ended up with some awesome seats at like 5% of the original price and were almost always in the seats by the first pitch of the bottom of the second unless it was a really quick first half. Missing the first half of the inning was never bad. Either our pitcher shut them down or they scored some runs, which you don't really care about missing!

10xWSChamps
02-28-2012, 03:14 AM
Newport is definitely the cheapest parking option during the week. I believe it is $2 to park on a weeknight.

Never been to Cincy, but is that close to the ballpark? Anywhere within a mile of Busch is $20 at least, it's ridiculous.

justincredible
02-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Never been to Cincy, but is that close to the ballpark? Anywhere within a mile of Busch is $20 at least, it's ridiculous.

Yeah, it's right across the river. Maybe a mile walk from lot to ballpark. You can park plenty of places on this side of the river for $5 but I like the walk.

brm7675
02-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Parking near the stadium ranges from $5-$20 and all depends on how far you want to walk. Park in downtown cincy you got a nice uphill walk after the game. Park over at Levy in KY it's cheap, but still a nice hike. It all boils down to your desire to be cheep and walk or pay a few bucks more and not walk...;-)

Girevik
02-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm a proponent of the Chaquita building for parking myself. Cheap, not a bad walk to the park, and easy to get back on 71 north for the trip home.

LexRedsFan
02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Parking near the stadium ranges from $5-$20 and all depends on how far you want to walk. Park in downtown cincy you got a nice uphill walk after the game. Park over at Levy in KY it's cheap, but still a nice hike. It all boils down to your desire to be cheep and walk or pay a few bucks more and not walk...;-)

Saving 5-10 bucks = 1 more beer at the park.

Priorities, man.

swaisuc
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Believe me, I know where you're coming from. Went to many games as a broke UC student not long ago. Nothing wrong with doing it on the cheap.

If you get there at 6, the metered spots on 7th (just past Sycamore) are usually open and free. I have parked there for free and walked many times. You can bring your own food and drinks into the stadium (don't open bottles). I normally would bring myself a sandwich and a bottle of water to the game and buy a bleacher seat. Always check for promotions, but those are normally $7. Thats how much I budgeted for each game I went to.

Girevik
03-01-2012, 03:46 PM
You can bring your own food and drinks into the stadium (don't open bottles).

Also, make sure you don't bring any cans or class bottles....plastic only.

Captain13
03-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Too see a game cheap you do the following:

1. Pack a cooler (food and plastic bottles).
2. Leave early and park away from the stadium (Newport used to be the cheapest option, but street parking in the Nati is free.
3. Buy Outer View tickets at the booth (I believe these are still $5 or $7 day-of-game).
4. Avoid the temptation to buy Hudy, Frosty Malts, and Skyline once you are in the ballpark (this, my friends, is the part with which I struggle the most).
5. Enjoy the game from anywhere in the ballpark (unless they are playing the Cards or Cubs then other people will sit in the "good seats".

I like to split up my trips to the park. I will try to see 2-3 games a year in this fashion and 2-3 games with Field or Club level seats.

Go Reds!

Wonderful Monds
03-01-2012, 05:23 PM
I know you can't bring glass bottles in, but will they still let you bring beer in if you buy it in plastic bottles?

justincredible
03-01-2012, 08:05 PM
I know you can't bring glass bottles in, but will they still let you bring beer in if you buy it in plastic bottles?

You cannot bring alcohol in. All bottles must be sealed.