PDA

View Full Version : General Reds Spring Training Chatter

membengal
02-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Ok, so, it has felt "slow" around here with regards to Reds specific chatter. I blame that in large part on the Fay and the Sheldon. I am linking what I see in the pinned thread from the .com and the enquirer, but the articles have been very general with not many observations from the guys who are there.

So, this is my plea/request - as an out-of-towner who can't often listen to McAlister or hot stove or get local tv sports reports etc., if any of you locals hear any anecdotal reports from Brantley etc. on various WLW shows or Sports Animal shows about who is looking good, who is behind, who is throwing well, basically, ANYTHING on-field "chatter" related, could you post it in here?

I am starved for Reds on-field information and have been surprised at how little I have run across so far (and I have been looking). I feel disconnected from how the spring is unfolding in its early stage (as an aside, part of that is the Arizona location - before they moved some of our members would make it to Sarasota already and have some live observations).

So, at any rate, have at it everyone. Reds chatter! Maybe we can even talk about same together in this thread! We're fans with a common interest!

membengal
02-28-2012, 09:29 AM
For example, has there been anything said from the observers about how Latos looks since pitchers reported? Marshall? Madson? Any "hoo boy, he throws it hard" from Hanny or anyone?

Even if it means nothing (yes, it's spring - and early), part of the joy and romance of baseball for me has always been hearing that kind of stuff as the camp gets going.

Redsfan320
02-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Just to get ya started, a few days ago, after the team took batting practice, Sheldon said a lot of the hitters were talking about how good Leake's stuff was.

membengal
02-28-2012, 09:50 AM
320! Youdaposter! Thanks.

WildcatFan
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
More than one beat writer has commented on how good SS Didi Gregorius looks in the field, making some "wow" plays. He was recently added to the 40-man roster, and it looks like he's been hitting a little in AA. He should be one to watch this season.

bucksfan2
02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
So, this is my plea/request - as an out-of-towner who can't often listen to McAlister or hot stove or get local tv sports reports etc., if any of you locals hear any anecdotal reports from Brantley etc. on various WLW shows or Sports Animal shows about who is looking good, who is behind, who is throwing well, basically, ANYTHING on-field "chatter" related, could you post it in here?

Count yourself lucky. Ive tried listening to WLW sports recently and it was just bad.

mace
02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
mem -- You probably know this, but mlb.tv is offering a large schedule of spring training games, including eight or so Reds games. You can buy it by the month for $24-something, I think. (Sorry if I'm restating the obvious, but I haven't paid much attention to that sort of thing in the past.)

membengal
02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
I do know it mace, and am also a subscriber to mlb audio app for droid. but with games not started yet, observational anecdotal news is where it used to be at. And hard for some reason to get so far this season. Perhaps bucks has hit another reason why, if wlw is dropping that ball outlets for such reports gets thin quick.

The note on gregorious is of interest.

Sea Ray
02-28-2012, 11:31 AM
mem -- You probably know this, but mlb.tv is offering a large schedule of spring training games, including eight or so Reds games. You can buy it by the month for $24-something, I think. (Sorry if I'm restating the obvious, but I haven't paid much attention to that sort of thing in the past.)

Wow, they're charging $24 for a month worth of exhibition games?

mace
02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Wow, they're charging $24 for a month worth of exhibition games?

Well, I didn't read closely, but it's 24.99 a month or 124.99 for the year, and it looks as though spring training is simply part of the package . . . Actually, that's the premium version. The regular version is 19.99 and 109.99.

mem, my favorite anecdote so far (again, you probably saw it) was when Mesoraco caught a session for Chapman, then walked up to him, simulated a low arm slot and said, "Horsespit (more or less)." He followed that with an over-the-top motion and said, "Bueno."

membengal
02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks mace, had seen that. It was awesome. Am hoping for more like that.

mace
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
All right, mem, here's the nugget you've been longing for:

At Peoria Lanes, joining Willie Harris and a crowd of clubhouse and front-office folks, Brandon Phillips bowled a 214. Between his legs. That's right--he rolled every ball through his legs.

It was his third game after a 202 and 237. From Gary Schatz's blog: http://fullofschatz.blogspot.com/2012/02/king-pin-shawty-brandon-phillips.html?spref=fb

02-28-2012, 12:49 PM

At Peoria Lanes, joining Willie Harris and a crowd of clubhouse and front-office folks, Brandon Phillips bowled a 214. Between his legs. That's right--he rolled every ball through his legs.

It was his third game after a 202 and 237. From Gary Schatz's blog: http://fullofschatz.blogspot.com/2012/02/king-pin-shawty-brandon-phillips.html?spref=fb

Brandon must be a fan of Parks And Recreation

Parks and Recreation - Son, People Can See You - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pfy7xH-YtY&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

medford
02-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Not ST related, but a few years ago, a group of friends used to occasionally do the late night saturday evening bowling at one of the local lanes. None of us were any good, but it was a good place to meet, cheap beers and we were all either married or close to being married, so we weren't exactly out trolling the trown. anyhoo, there was a group of young (high school ageish) kids that we had the priveledge of bowling a lane or 2 down from on a handful of occasions. These kids would regularly take a full stride to the lane, throw the ball behind their backs, and back b/w their legs, all in one motion, and routinely throw strikes. I have no idea how they did, other than perhaps a lot of trial/error, but it was always fun to watch them.

membengal
02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
Perfect mace, now we're cooking with gas.

OnBaseMachine
02-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Andrew Brackman is impressing...

He looks good, Price said. He throws hard. Hes got that good curveball. His arm strength is good. And hes shown good athleticism. Hes been outstanding in (pitchers fielding practice). I dont know that Ive ever had a 6-10 guy move like that.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/02/28/brackman-impresses/

Edd Roush
02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Andrew Brackman is impressing...

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/02/28/brackman-impresses/

Thanks for posting, OBM. No one should be surprised that a D1 basketball player is atheletic. The thing that is a pleasant surprise is Price's comment about how hard he is throwing and that his arm strength is good. These were Drew's two biggest issues last season IMO and if his arm strength is back, he really should be competing for a bullpen spot. However, with his option, I would really doubt that he will break camp with the Reds unless he completely dominates all spring.

membengal
02-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Marty on hot stove league apparently opined that he thinks the Phillips contract unsettledness will be a problem.

BoydsOfSummer
02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Bryan Price was on with Casey and Leatherpants this afternoon talking about Chapman. It's his "opinion" that Chapman would be better suited at Louisville working on becoming a starter with all that entails ( gathering a consistent release point, developing third pitch, gaining consistency with slider, etc.). I tend to agree...Leatherpants didn't at all. Jim-Bow was very adamant about him being a reliever possible closer. Great interview with Price, I really like that guy.

wheels
02-28-2012, 09:28 PM
".....Bullpen or whatever."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

11larkin11
02-29-2012, 05:27 AM
".....Bullpen or whatever."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Funny part about that quote, is in hindsight, maybe Javy was right...

cumberlandreds
02-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Marty on hot stove league apparently opined that he thinks the Phillips contract unsettledness will be a problem.

That would not surprise me a bit. With the way Phillips like to Twitter he will probably say things out of anger if he doesn't get the contract he wants. Especially if the season takes a downward turn too.

lollipopcurve
02-29-2012, 11:08 AM

In some audio you could find on the Enquirer site, he was opining that it was more important to sign Phillips long-term than Votto, based on the fact Phillips is so fan-friendly and has come to be "the face of the franchise." I hope they manage to keep Phillips, but it's absurd to think he should be a priority ahead of Votto.

Not only that, he went on at length about the potential strikeouts an OF of Stubbs, Bruce and Heisey might rack up and how it could sink the season.

You'd think the great offseason could coax him into abandoning his pet peeves, if just for a 3-minute preseason piece. But no.

Chip R
02-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Bryan Price was on with Casey and Leatherpants this afternoon talking about Chapman. It's his "opinion" that Chapman would be better suited at Louisville working on becoming a starter with all that entails ( gathering a consistent release point, developing third pitch, gaining consistency with slider, etc.). I tend to agree...Leatherpants didn't at all. Jim-Bow was very adamant about him being a reliever possible closer. Great interview with Price, I really like that guy.

I would take whatever suggestions JimBo has about pitching, and do the opposite.

redsmetz
02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
In some audio you could find on the Enquirer site, he was opining that it was more important to sign Phillips long-term than Votto, based on the fact Phillips is so fan-friendly and has come to be "the face of the franchise." I hope they manage to keep Phillips, but it's absurd to think he should be a priority ahead of Votto.

Not only that, he went on at length about the potential strikeouts an OF of Stubbs, Bruce and Heisey might rack up and how it could sink the season.

You'd think the great offseason could coax him into abandoning his pet peeves, if just for a 3-minute preseason piece. But no.

My goodness, someone came prepared for spring training - Marty sounds like he's in mid-season form. :(

REDREAD
02-29-2012, 05:11 PM

Yea, that sounds like typical Marty.
He is hoping the Phillips contract stirs up drama. He is hoping Phillips says something that he can pile on. Honestly, I think Marty enjoys seeing the Reds fail at this stage of his life, because he enjoys complaining so much.

Exactly like Marty to zoom in on the strikeouts of Bruce and Stubbs.
It got so tiring to hear the strikeout count update on Stubbs every time Stubbs came to bat. I actually broke down and got cable this year, because I expect the Reds to be good, and I don't want Marty ruining my enjoyment.

lollipopcurve
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Exactly like Marty to zoom in on the strikeouts of Bruce and Stubbs.
It got so tiring to hear the strikeout count update on Stubbs every time Stubbs came to bat. I actually broke down and got cable this year, because I expect the Reds to be good, and I don't want Marty ruining my enjoyment.

Redread 1, Franchester 0.

Vottomatic
02-29-2012, 09:29 PM
In other news, the Reds players enjoyed watching the Bearcats trounce Marquette tonight.

Badda bing badda boom.

11larkin11
03-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Lineup for the Spring Opener. Possilby OD Lineup:

Phillips 4

Cozart 6

Votto 3

Ludwick 7

Bruce 9

Rolen 5

Stubbs 8

Mesoraco 2

Navarro DH

Leake 1

membengal
03-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Yaknow, I like that lineup.

Edd Roush
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Yaknow, I like that lineup.

You won't see me raise major objections, but I would prefer Rolen in the 2 hole and drop Cozart to the bottom of the line-up. I guess I have lower expectations for Cozart than others on this board, though.

mace
03-02-2012, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=11larkin11;2541389]Lineup for the Spring Opener. Possilby OD Lineup:

Phillips 4

Cozart 6

Votto 3

Ludwick 7

/QUOTE]

Votto's walks have increased every year (59, 70, 91, 110). In that lineup, I see the trend continuing.