PDA

View Full Version : Key stretches in the 2012 schedule

cincrazy
02-28-2012, 02:39 PM
For the first time today, I sat down and took some time to go through the schedule. And here are the key stretches that I see, as of the end of February:

Six of the first thirteen games are against St. Louis. Taking both of those series, and even sweeping one of them, could be a great way to get a leg up on them early in the season.

Also in April, the Reds have a 10 game road trip. They open with series at home against Miami and St. Louis, then hit the road against the Nationals, Cards and Cubs. Not too brutal of a trip, but for so early in the season, it could be a big one. Hopefully we're clicking early this year.

May offers a 7 game road trip against 3 teams: the Braves, Mets, and Yanks.

The end of June all the way to the All Star break, the Reds have an 11 game West coast trip in 11 days against the Giants, Dodgers, and Padres. Ouch, babe.

The Reds come out of the All Star break and immediately have a 10 game stretch against the Cards, Dbacks, and Brewers. Luckily, all of them are at home. Still, a tough stretch.

August 20-29 brings this nice 10 game stretch: 4 @ Philly, 3 @ home vs Cards, 3 @ Arizona. Again.... ouch.

September includes 3 against the Phillies at home, and three late in the month against Milwaukee at home. But none against the Cards, and some games against the Pirates, Cubs and Astros. Dare I say it's the "easiest" month, as of right now, the Reds face?

Any other thoughts or comments on this schedule? What's the toughest stretch in your opinion? Easiest stretch? Most important month?

Captain Hook
02-28-2012, 03:17 PM
For the first time today, I sat down and took some time to go through the schedule. And here are the key stretches that I see, as of the end of February:

Six of the first thirteen games are against St. Louis. Taking both of those series, and even sweeping one of them, could be a great way to get a leg up on them early in the season.

Also in April, the Reds have a 10 game road trip. They open with series at home against Miami and St. Louis, then hit the road against the Nationals, Cards and Cubs. Not too brutal of a trip, but for so early in the season, it could be a big one. Hopefully we're clicking early this year.

May offers a 7 game road trip against 3 teams: the Braves, Mets, and Yanks.

The end of June all the way to the All Star break, the Reds have an 11 game West coast trip in 11 days against the Giants, Dodgers, and Padres. Ouch, babe.

The Reds come out of the All Star break and immediately have a 10 game stretch against the Cards, Dbacks, and Brewers. Luckily, all of them are at home. Still, a tough stretch.

August 20-29 brings this nice 10 game stretch: 4 @ Philly, 3 @ home vs Cards, 3 @ Arizona. Again.... ouch.

September includes 3 against the Phillies at home, and three late in the month against Milwaukee at home. But none against the Cards, and some games against the Pirates, Cubs and Astros. Dare I say it's the "easiest" month, as of right now, the Reds face?

Any other thoughts or comments on this schedule? What's the toughest stretch in your opinion? Easiest stretch? Most important month?

That's by far the most difficult part of the schedule imo.11 game west coast trip followed by 7 games against division winers from a year ago will be very difficult.

RANDY IN INDY
02-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Interesting that the 7 game stretch against the Braves, Mets, and Yankees has the Reds in New York for 5 straight days. Wonder if they stay in the same hotel in NY for both those series? Eliminates a little travel for a road trip which is great.

Only 1 trip to the west coast, I believe, which is a good thing.

defender
02-28-2012, 04:06 PM
The 4 game series in Philly has been a nightmare the last 2 years.

11larkin11
02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
The 4 game series in Philly has been a nightmare the last 2 years.

Didn't we split it two years ago? I remember Game 4 was Bruce's GW HR off Halladay.

camisadelgolf
02-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Didn't we split it two years ago? I remember Game 4 was Bruce's GW HR off Halladay.
They haven't split a series with the Phillies since 2008.
2011 = 1-3
2010 = 0-4
2009 = 1-3
2008 = 2-2 & 1-3

The Operator
02-28-2012, 09:59 PM
They haven't split a series with the Phillies since 2008.
2011 = 1-3
2010 = 0-4
2009 = 1-3
2008 = 2-2 & 1-3It wasn't in Philly, but The Reds actually won the June 28-30 series in 2010, the final game being won by Bruce's game winner as 11larkin11 noted.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN201006280.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN201006290.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN201006300.shtml