PDA

View Full Version : Joe Posnanski: baseball really is a wonderful game to argue about"

redsmetz
02-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Great piece from Joe Posnanski. It would go a long way towards explaining the dynamics around RZ at times:

http://joeposnanski.si.com/2012/02/22/the-first-argument-of-spring/?sct=mlb_bf2_a3

Ghosts of 1990
02-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Get that man a user name

CySeymour
02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
So who would you guys take?

Cameron or Rice?

bucksfan2
02-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Cameron = roids. He wasn't mentioned in the Mitchell report, rather busted after the MLB testing policy went into effect. Give me Rice.

Roy Tucker
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
That title made me laugh.

MikeThierry
02-29-2012, 06:15 PM
“Wait, you think the Atlantic is a greater ocean than the Pacific?”

“No. Have it your way. The Pacific is greater.”

lol classic

blumj
02-29-2012, 07:02 PM
So who would you guys take?

Cameron or Rice?
Cameron has to be better than Rice, he's really one of the worst analysts on tv in any sport.

WildcatFan
03-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Joe is just the best. He's the one writer I can genuinely say has enhanced my appreciation for baseball from reading his blog/stories. I've used his quote in my sig a hundred times when people tell me why they don't like baseball.

redsmetz
03-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Joe is just the best. He's the one writer I can genuinely say has enhanced my appreciation for baseball from reading his blog/stories. I've used his quote in my sig a hundred times when people tell me why they don't like baseball.

Sorry, I never noticed your tag before this.

I'm going to quote it here before making my comment:

"I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I organized a Reds-Indians game for our church one summer and a couple we know, notorious for not liking baseball (it's boring, it's not a real sport...) came with their kids. Comes around to the 8th inning, their kids are bored, they're bored, they take their leave.

Top of the 9th, two out, Reds up by one run (in, I think, a low scoring game) with an Indian runner on 2nd base. Ball is hit into left center field. I think the outfielder may have had to go a ways to get to it. The runner rounds third, the outfielder hits Larkin (I think) at cut off. He turns & fires to the plate and the catcher tags the running out. Everyone's cheering just for a great bang, bang play when we all realize, not only is it a great play, but the game just ended. It's probably the most dramatic defensive end to a game I've ever been two.

Of course, it was difficult to explain to our friends that had they stayed, the would have witness this great exhilarating finish to what they perceived as a boring game. Posnanski's quote is a great one.

MikeThierry
03-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Cameron has to be better than Rice, he's really one of the worst analysts on tv in any sport.

Are you serious?

WildcatFan
03-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Sorry, I never noticed your tag before this.

I just joined the ORG board this week, so I guess you can be forgiven.

That's a great story, and if I remember correctly, Joe used the quote in a column about the last day of last season.

That's one of those I'll never forget--I was watching the games at a pool hall with a friend who has no idea why I care as much as I do. That day, though, he was entranced, constantly asking me to pull up score updates and asking about every player as he came up to bat. At the end of the day he looked like he had watched the best movie he'd ever seen, and he said "NOW I get it!" I have a feeling he's going to be much more willing to watch games with me this year.

blumj
03-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Are you serious?

Not very often. But I'm very serious about how awful Jim Rice is at his current job.

MikeThierry
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Not very often. But I'm very serious about how awful Jim Rice is at his current job.

ahh... I see. I was kind of confused at what you were saying, lol

Forgive me.

RedlegJake
03-01-2012, 02:33 PM
The thing about baseball, though, is even people who aren't really fans DO seem to understand the mystical quality of the game that sets it apart from football or hockey or basketball. I truly love football, too, but it doesn't have that soul gripping something that baseball does. Do we say "As American as football Thanksgiving and apple pie? Football has replaced baseball as the most popular sport in America but I'll argue all day long that baseball remains the true national past time. And there you go - another argument...

Hoosier Red
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM

That was my signature quote for a long time before I moved to one that fits me a bit better.