PDA

View Full Version : Greatest moments in Reds history

RedlegJake
03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
This is my compilation of the 25 greatest moments or achievements in Reds history. By no means inclusive, I invite additions, corrections or criticisms of the ones I've included. I've tried to keep it to individual accomplishments as they apply to the team - in other words when the Reds won the 7th and deciding game of a Series who got the winning hit or pitched the game, not just the fact they won, or who had a notable achievement during the series. I started at the beginning literally, with the 1869 Reds and went from there. The list is NOT in any particular order.

1 - Hod Eller pitches a 10-5 1919 Series clinching victory, later clouded by the revelation of the Black Sox scandal.
2 - Pete Rose gets his 4192nd base hit
3 - Tom Browning pitches a perfect game against the LA Dodgers Sep 16 1988
4 - Johnny VanderMeer pitches back-to-back no hitters June 11 and Jun 15 1938
5 - Frank Robinson hits his 38th homer as a Reds rookie in 1956
6 - Joe Morgan singles up the middle knocking in the winning run in the Reds Series clinching victory against the Red Sox in what many call the greatest Series ever played 1975
7 - Johnny Bench homers in game 1 of the 73 NLCS off Tom Seaver to win it for the Reds
8 - Jay Bruce walkoff homer clinches 2010 division championship
9 - Joey Jay 4 hit the Yankees to gain the Reds sole win in the 1961 Series
10 - Jose Rijo pitches an incredible 2-1 game to beat the Oakland A's and gain the 1990 WS sweep and Series MVP award, allowing just 1 run in 15 innings total
11 - Billy Hatcher gets a WS record 7 straight hits and bats .750 in the 1990 World Series
12 - Junior Griffey hits home run #600
13 - Bucky Walters wins 27 games in 1939
14 - Player Coach Jimmy Wilson hits .353 and leads the Reds to victory in the 1940 WS
15 - Paul Derringer won game 7 of the 1940 WS 2-1 against Detroit's Bobo Newsome
16 - Jim Maloney throws 2 no hitters in 1965 on August 19th (187 pitches) and August 30th. Under the new (and stupid, imo) rules about no hitters Maloney is no longer credited with the first no-hitter because he gave up a hit in the 11th inning.
17 - Jim Maloney strikes out 18 batters in a 10 inning game, 16 in the regulation 9 innings June 14 1965
18 - The Reds Fred Toney and Cubs Hippo Vaughn pitch 9 innings of no hit ball in Wrigley Field on May 2 1917, history's only double no-hitter. The Reds win in the tenth with a pair of hits.
19 - Dolf Luque wins 27 games in 1923
20 - Gary Nolan pitches the Reds to a 7-2 victory over the NY Yankees to sweep the 1976 World Series
21 - Johnny Bench hits .533 with 3 homers in the 1976 World Series and wins the Series MVP
22 - 1869 Reds the first professional team in history win 130 straight through 1870
23 - Will White wins 40 and leads the 1882 Reds to their only American Association pennant
24 - Cy Seymour hits .377 in 1905 still a team record for single season batting average
25 - George Foster hits 52 home runs in the 1977 season, a team record and wins the MVP award

mth123
03-01-2012, 08:47 PM
The 2 biggest hits of my lifetime:

Johnny Bench Homers in the bottom of the 9th in game 5 of the 72 NLCS to tie the Pirates prior to going on to win.

Tony Perez HR off of Bill Lee's Eephus pitch in Game 7 of the 75 series (Biggest hit in Reds' history IMO - see my avatar).

A couple more might be:

Hal King's 1973 HR to win the furst game of a DH and start the reds back from a huge deficit to win the Division.

And Probably not as important in the scheme of things but Adam Dunn's Walk Off GS HR in to win a game where the Red's trailed by 3.

RedsBaron
03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Johnny Bench Homers in the bottom of the 9th in game 5 of the 72 NLCS to tie the Pirates prior to going on to win.

Tony Perez HR off of Bill Lee's Eephus pitch in Game 7 of the 75 series.

Those two get my vote, with the Perez HR topping the list.
Without Bench's HR the Reds probably do not rally to win the 1972 NLCS.
Without Perez's HR the Reds probably lose the 1975 World Series.

Bob Borkowski
03-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Ewell Blackwell (The Whip), during the 1947 season, wins 16 consecutive decisions.

AtomicDumpling
03-01-2012, 10:13 PM
This was one of my favorite plays ever:

June 24, 1990
Relief Pitcher Norm Charlton gets a rare at-bat and gets drilled by a pitch and he is NOT happy about it. After getting to second base there is a single hit to left field and Charlton runs through the stop sign and burns for home plate but the throw gets to stud catcher Mike Scioscia in plenty of time...

Charlton Scioscia Collision - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLTmd4Ni974)

The Reds won the game that day and the World Series that season.

Hap
03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Eric Davis stealing home runs from Jack Clark on back to back nights in 1987.

Eric Davis hitting a home run off Dave Stewart to open the scoring in the 1990 World Series.

Eric Davis hitting three grand slams in one month in 1987.

Eric Davis gunning down Bobby Bonilla in the 1990 NLCS.

dfs
03-01-2012, 10:35 PM

yup.

That 75 team would have found a way to win without Doggie's hit, but this one.....it game them life.

westofyou
03-01-2012, 11:00 PM
IMO the Biggest moment in Reds history has to be the first night game, it's a watershed moment in the games history, it's attached directly to the franchise's historic cache in MLB. Just as the biggest moment in White Sox history is throwing the series and the Dodgers it would have to be Robinsons first game

George Anderson
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
I am not a real big Pete fan but his first game but back in 84' when he doubled in his first at bat and slid headfirst into second was spine chilling.

Yachtzee
03-02-2012, 12:21 AM
IMO the Biggest moment in Reds history has to be the first night game, it's a watershed moment in the games history, it's attached directly to the franchise's historic cache in MLB. Just as the biggest moment in White Sox history is throwing the series and the Dodgers it would have to be Robinsons first game

I would say this would be up there with the 1869 Red Stockings. I understand the argument that the Reds of today have no direct chain of ownership to that team, but my personal feeling is that franchise history belongs to the city and its fans. I'm sure there are Cincinnatians that can look back in their family tree and find great- or great-great grandparents who followed the exploits of the Red Stockings, and today's Reds draw their name and colors from that same franchise. The fact that they didn't play for a few years during the National Association era and one year in the switch from the NL to the AA. The
Cleveland Browns didn't play for the second half of the 1990s and are recognized as the successors to Browns history rather than the Baltimore Ravens, who have the chain of ownership. Really, other than chain of ownership, what do the Atlanta Braves have to do with the Boston/Milwaukee Red Stockings/Bees/Braves? Nobody in Atlanta cared about the Braves before 1966. Does LA have any connection with Jackie Robinson? I say when a team moves cities, it should be treated as an expansion franchise. All records, championships, and historical achievements stay with the city and the fans who shared those moments.

Bob Borkowski
03-02-2012, 01:58 AM
I am not a real big Pete fan but his first game but back in 84' when he doubled in his first at bat and slid headfirst into second was spine chilling.

It was an electrifying moment.

From Redleg Journal for August 17, 1984:

Playing first base and batting second in the lineup, Pete Rose makes his debut as the Reds 'manager-player'. Facing Dick Ruthven and the Cubs at Riverfront Stadium, Rose lined an RBI single in his first at-bat in the first inning, and with the help of a two-base error, continued on to third base with his trademark head-first slide that evoked a raucous ovation. Rose later added an RBI double in the 6-4 Reds win.

03-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Opening Day, April 4th, 1974. Reds win 7-6 and this happened...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197404040CN5

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2006-05-21-aaron.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5264/5599651168_39e6463204_o.png

cumberlandreds
03-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Here are few off the top of my head for my 40+ years of Reds baseball.

1. Last out of the 75 Word Series. This popped into my head when I saw the title of the thread. I'll always remember Geronimo jumping into the air after the last out. This cemented the BRM in baseball history and the way that world series was going I fully expected Yaz to hit a HR to tie that game. Also a ton of other moments in that World Series that are very important that you could list as 1A;Perez's game 7 HR;Morgan's go ahead RBI in game 7; Bench's hit in the 9th inning of game two was huge too.

2. Johnny Bench Game 5 HR in the 72 NLCS

3. Pete Rose breaking the hit record.

4. Johnny Bench 2 HR's in game 4 of the 76 World Series

5. Hal King's HR to win a game against the Dodger on 7/1/1973. This ignited a huge comeback for the Reds to win the division.

6. Foster and Bench's back to back HR's to tie game 3 of the 76 NLCS

7. Eric Davis HR in game 1 on the 1990 World Series. I think this ignited that team in the series.

8. Rose returning in 1984. A dead franchise came back to life.

9. Tom Brownings perfect game

10. Tom Seavers no hitter

11. Jay Bruces HR that clinched the 2010 Central Division
I don't doubt I have left out a lot of things but those are ones that stand out to me.

WildcatFan
03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
In hindsight, it wouldn't make the list, but one of the most exciting moments for me as a fan was hearing the news that Griffey Jr. was coming to town.

Degenerate39
03-03-2012, 09:12 AM
8 - Jay Bruce walkoff homer clinches 2010 division championship

Marty Brennaman Calls Jay Bruce's Walk-Off HR to Clinch NL Central - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUqF9pocXhc)

One of the greatest moments I've experienced as a Reds fan.

Redsfan320
03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
One of the greatest moments I've experienced as a Reds fan.

Easily my favorite, considering I've only been watching since '08.

gilpdawg
03-05-2012, 10:11 AM
The plays that stand out for me:

Davis throwing out Bonilla in the NLCS.
Braggs catch at the wall in game 6 of that same series.
The Oliver hit to score Bates in the World Series, I knew it was over then.

I was 12 then, and all of those are still etched in my brain. I may be senile in 40 years, but I will still remember those.

As far as things I saw in person:

Votto's walkoff against Pittsburgh on Pete Rose 4192 Night. 9-11-10. I knew we were going to wind up winning the division after that game. I was pretty confident before, but that's when I knew.
https://secure.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=11977613

RedlegJake
03-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Thank you everyone - now that I am retired and have all this free time I am back to my first love - oil painting, and I'm using this as a first research point into emotional moments for Reds fans to research photo images and such for Reds painting series. Hopefully some of those old skills come back quickly! I can't imagine anything more enjoyable to paint other than family memories and hey! Lots of those have the Reds in them too!

MrCinatit
03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
McRae scores the winning run of the NLCS on a Bob Moose wild pitch.

Bob Borkowski
03-05-2012, 02:20 PM
McRae scores the winning run of the NLCS on a Bob Moose wild pitch.

I'm pretty sure that it was George Foster on third base who scored the winning run. McRae was at the plate batting.

RedsBaron
03-05-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that it was George Foster on third base who scored the winning run. McRae was at the plate batting.

You are correct (as usual). ;)

powersackers
02-04-2014, 06:03 PM
I would like to expand this to 50 and call it the most memorable/remarkable/greatest events in Reds History:

So I'll add
Roy Halladay No Hitter in 2010 NLDS
Carlton Fisk HR in game 6 of the 1975 WS
Tony Perez 1967 All Star Game 15th Inning HR off Catfish Hunter to give the NL the lead
Pete Rose banned from baseball
The Trade of Frank Robinson
The Trade for Joe Morgan
Being the unknowing benfactor of the 1919 Black Sox scandal
Being the first "pro" baseball team 1882
Barry Larkin the first 30/30 SS in the history of MLB
Joey Votto 2010 MVP
Reds win 6 MVPs in the 70's (including 3 in a row and Joe Morgan b2b)
Reds win 3 MVPs in a row (38-40)
Barry Larkin MVP 1995
Frank Robinson MVP 1961

Just killing some time before Spring Training. You guys got any more?

bob jones
02-04-2014, 06:22 PM
reds end game against cardinals with triple play to win 1-0 (1967)

RedsBaron
02-04-2014, 06:29 PM
Being the first "pro" baseball team 1882

1869, not 1882. :)

RichRed
02-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Thank you everyone - now that I am retired and have all this free time I am back to my first love - oil painting, and I'm using this as a first research point into emotional moments for Reds fans to research photo images and such for Reds painting series. Hopefully some of those old skills come back quickly! I can't imagine anything more enjoyable to paint other than family memories and hey! Lots of those have the Reds in them too!

Please share photos of your Reds paintings with your virtual pals here at the ORG when you're finished. Would love to see them.

Old school 1983
02-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Eric Davis' home run off of Dave Stewart in game one of the 1990 World Series.

The home run by Tony Perez off of Bill Lee in game 7 of the 75 World Series.

UPRedsFan
02-04-2014, 08:48 PM
I'll add a few...

No-hitters two years in a row for Homer

Wire to wire in '90

Every time he says, "If you're ready now, the starting lineups..."

Every time he said, "Rounding third and heading for home"

Reuniting the great 8 for the first time on the field

Todd Frazier hitting a homerun on request from Teddy

I have to highlight again the Davis home run off Dave Stewart. Made everyone believe (including me) that the Reds could actually knock off the powerful A's in that series. Also makes me believe this Reds team can win it too with pitching, defense and timely hitting.

Always Red
02-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Reds fans of a certain age remember Hal King fondly, and others are like who?....

On July 1, 1973, playing for the Cincinnati Reds, King hit one of the most famous home runs in Reds’ history. Entering the first game of a doubleheader at Riverfront Stadium, the Reds trailed their National League West rivals the Los Angeles Dodgers by a whopping 11 games. King, who just two weeks earlier had been called up from the minors, came to the plate as a pinch-hitter for fellow catcher Bill Plummer with the Dodgers and pitcher Don Sutton one out away from a win. With Tony Perez and Darrel Chaney (pinch-running for Johnny Bench) on base, King slugged a three-run homer for a 4-3 Reds' win. The Reds followed that up with a 3-2 win in the second game on a 10th-inning single by Perez that scored Joe Morgan, and the next night the Reds won yet another thriller over the Dodgers, 4-2, on a Perez walk-off homer.
Starting with the win on King's homer, the Reds went on to a 60–26 record the rest of the way to win the division championship.

Hal's lifetime numbers: .214 24 HR 82 RBI

Hal King had a total of 60 AB as a Cincinnati Red.

Sparky apparently deployed 3 catchers in 1973. Dusty was just following a trend?

PS- as a wee lad of 12, I was with my parents and siblings at a drive in movie (!) that night, and me and dad listened to both the games (on a transistor radio) and the movies (on the speaker hooked to the window). Early 70's technology at its finest! I clearly remember the King HR, soon after we arrived, while it was still light out

Spitball
02-04-2014, 10:28 PM
On November 29, 1971, Bob Howsam traded for Joe Morgan, César Gerónimo, Ed Armbrister and Jack Billingham from the Houston Astros in exchange for Tommy Helms, Lee May and Jimmy Stewart. At the time I heard about the trade, I was totally bummed. It turned out to be the birth of the Big Red Machine.

Along with his other moves, this trade should put Bob Howsam into the HOF.

texasdave
02-05-2014, 01:49 AM
I am not sure how 'great' this play was but it was certainly one of the most memorable: Pete Rose slamming into Ray Fosse during the ASG in, I believe, 1970.

HokieRed
02-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Two nominations.
1. Maloney tying the ML record by striking out 8 in a row, May 21, 1963.

2. The ending of the 1964 season with the Reds fighting for the pennant till the last day as their manager. Fred Hutchinson, is obviously dying of cancer.

Joseph
02-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Best thread of 2014 so far. There are no wrong responses.

5TimeWSChamps
02-05-2014, 09:19 PM

This is in the Top 10, easily

RedsBaron
02-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I would say this would be up there with the 1869 Red Stockings. I understand the argument that the Reds of today have no direct chain of ownership to that team, but my personal feeling is that franchise history belongs to the city and its fans. I'm sure there are Cincinnatians that can look back in their family tree and find great- or great-great grandparents who followed the exploits of the Red Stockings, and today's Reds draw their name and colors from that same franchise. The fact that they didn't play for a few years during the National Association era and one year in the switch from the NL to the AA. The
Cleveland Browns didn't play for the second half of the 1990s and are recognized as the successors to Browns history rather than the Baltimore Ravens, who have the chain of ownership. Really, other than chain of ownership, what do the Atlanta Braves have to do with the Boston/Milwaukee Red Stockings/Bees/Braves? Nobody in Atlanta cared about the Braves before 1966. Does LA have any connection with Jackie Robinson? I say when a team moves cities, it should be treated as an expansion franchise. All records, championships, and historical achievements stay with the city and the fans who shared those moments.

I agree. Bobby Thompson's "The Giants Win The Pennant! The Giants Win The Pennant!" home run to win the NL title in 1951 belongs to New York, not San Francisco. Connie Mack's A's belong to Philadelphia, not Kansas City or Oakland. Warren Spahn belongs to Braves fans in Boston and Milwaukee, not Atlanta.

RedsBaron
02-05-2014, 10:15 PM
1. Last out of the 75 Word Series. This popped into my head when I saw the title of the thread. I'll always remember Geronimo jumping into the air after the last out. This cemented the BRM in baseball history and the way that world series was going I fully expected Yaz to hit a HR to tie that game. Also a ton of other moments in that World Series that are very important that you could list as 1A;Perez's game 7 HR;Morgan's go ahead RBI in game 7; Bench's hit in the 9th inning of game two was huge too.

IIRC Carlton Fisk was on deck when Yaz flew out to Geronimo to end the 1975 Series. I was afraid Yaz would get on base and Fisk would then hit a HR to win the Series for Boston.
When Joe Morgan got the bloop hit to knock in what turned out to be the winning run, I can recall Fred Lynn vainly trying to get to the ball before it fell in front of him, and Pete Rose going from first to third on the hit with one of his all time biggest head first slides into third base-it seemed like Rose flew forty feet through the air into the base. At that point I wanted the Reds to score a dozen more runs.

powersackers
02-06-2014, 02:30 AM
This is in the Top 10, easily

I was there in the front row green seats behind home plate. Age 13.

5TimeWSChamps
02-06-2014, 02:35 AM
I was there in the front row green seats behind home plate. Age 13.

You can argue it's the top Riverfront Stadium moment ever.

Considering they clinched in 75, 76, and 90 on the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Ds1eF0dyE

corkedbat
02-06-2014, 02:43 AM
One (actually two) of my favorites growing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx3i-LewMT4

Dwarftree
02-06-2014, 06:25 AM
For me the greatest moment has to be Benzinger catching Lansfords Popup to first in game 4 of the 1990 World Series. It made our beloved Reds World Champions and turned me into a Reds lifer. :)

bob jones
02-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Lee may homerun off Eddie Watt

tomnuetten
02-06-2014, 09:02 AM
sadly I wasn´t alive to see those great moments "live"... born in 1989

So I would nominate bailey´s two no-hitters and bruce division clinching homerun :thumbup:

bob jones
02-06-2014, 09:55 AM
art shamsky's four consecutive home runs

CySeymour
02-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Johnny Bench hitting a home run on Johnny Bench night in 1983.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWCQIBWjnoM

klw
02-06-2014, 10:12 AM

For me the pivotal moment was Davis' homer in Game 1. It was not at the key moment like Gibson in 88 but had the same effect of ending things for the A's.

If we were to do an oddball moments, I would have to include:

1. Glenn Bragg breaks his bat on back in Game 4 of the 90 Series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dqigU0f8p0

2. Paul O'Neill muffs picking the ball up in the OF, thinks game is over, kicks the ball back to the infield, and prevents the winning run from scoring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqLMrSKLsak
Better quality
http://m.mlb.com/video/v20228249/cinphi-oneill-uses-his-foot-for-an-improbable-play
http://www.redlegsreview.com/2012/03/remember-this-video.html

July 5th, 1989 - The memorable play occurred during extra innings in a game versus the Philadelphia Phillies at Veterans Stadium. It is still heralded as one of baseball's all-time greatest bloopers. What happened exactly? I'll refresh your memory.

Tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 10th, Reds right fielder Paul O'Neill can be seen here attempting to field a base hit, but failing to find the handle on it. He then proceeds to kick the cowhide, left-footed, back toward the infield to prevent the game-winning run from scoring. His efforts would be in vain however, as the runner scored on a passed ball just five pitches later anyway, thus giving the Phils a walkoff victory. But the unorthodox relay throw punt by O'Neill will live in infamy

Note: To embed youtube videos, just put [y t] then [/y t] at the start and then end of the URL. Remove the spaces between the y and t, I had to add them or else they don't show up in this direction.

ThatPitchIsDunn
02-06-2014, 10:32 AM
I'll add some more walkoff fun (apologies if they were already posted; I merely skimmed the thread)

Joey's GS against the Nats on Mother's Day
Dunn ties it up; Joker wins it on Opening Day
Dunn's walkoff GS against the Indians

A personal favorite (although I'm not sure why) was the David Ross walkoff against the Cards in '06. Place just went bonkers.

Greatest moment that I've attended is definitely Game 2 of the '90 WS. Hatcher's triple in the 8th completely woke the crowd up and we stayed loud till Billy Bates scampered home in the 10th.

wheels
02-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Pokey Reese's extra inning homer to cap off an unlikely comeback on a hot September Sunday in 1999. McGwire also hit his 60th for the second straight year that day, only to be upstaged by the diminuative middle infielder.

Not an overly important historical event, but undeniably an emotional one, much like the entire season.

I felt like they were a team of destiny that day. Little did I know that destiny was heartbreak.

RedlegJake
02-06-2014, 11:14 AM
art shamsky's four consecutive home runs

In one of those weird kid things, Art was my favorite Red as a young teen. I had Rose, Maloney, Robby, Post, Cardenas to root for - nope - it was a role playing outfielder who was my favorite. Those homers were part of the reason. I was sure Shamsky could hit 50 homers if Heffner would just play him everyday!
Broke my heart when they traded him for lowly Bob Johnson...boy do I still dislike Bob frickin' Johnson...

Dan
02-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Eric Davis stealing home runs from Jack Clark on back to back nights in 1987.

Eric Davis hitting a home run off Dave Stewart to open the scoring in the 1990 World Series.

Eric Davis hitting three grand slams in one month in 1987.

Eric Davis gunning down Bobby Bonilla in the 1990 NLCS.

My all-time favorite Reds defensive play (second favorite baseball play after Bo Jackson throwing out Harold Reynolds), and arguably the best defensive play in Reds history. So amazing because of the skill and athleticism involved, and yet so basic because he was actually backing up the play.

Dan
02-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Biggest moments I've witnessed in person:

1. Rose hit #4192
2. Johnny Bench HR on Johnny Bench day 1983
3. Joey Votto walk-off HR on the 25th anniversary of Rose breaking Cobb's record
4. Barry Larkin hits 2 HR (and then goes on to hit 3HR the next game, which I didn't see in person, and which tied a ML record for HR in 2 days)
5. Dave Parker throws out runner at the plate, then leads off the next inning with a HR (wish I could even remember the year for this one...1984 probably)
6. Jeff Reed grand slam 1991 (because I was sitting with friends and called the unlikely HR)
7. Reds rout Tom Glavine in Atlanta 16-0 (this was the same day as OJ Simpson's slow speed chase)
8. Reds rout John Smoltz in Atlanta the following day 12-4

Honorable mention:
Had the opportunity to attend Tom Browning's perfect game, but it was raining and I had to work so I passed

wheels
02-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Biggest moments I've witnessed in person:

1. Rose hit #4192
2. Johnny Bench HR on Johnny Bench day 1983
3. Joey Votto walk-off HR on the 25th anniversary of Rose breaking Cobb's record
4. Barry Larkin hits 2 HR (and then goes on to hit 3HR the next game, which I didn't see in person, and which tied a ML record for HR in 2 days)
5. Dave Parker throws out runner at the plate, then leads off the next inning with a HR (wish I could even remember the year for this one...1984 probably)
6. Jeff Reed grand slam 1991 (because I was sitting with friends and called the unlikely HR)
7. Reds rout Tom Glavine in Atlanta 16-0 (this was the same day as OJ Simpson's slow speed chase)
8. Reds rout John Smoltz in Atlanta the following day 12-4

Honorable mention:
Had the opportunity to attend Tom Browning's perfect game, but it was raining and I had to work so I passed

I was supposed to be there too, but my appendix burst on the way to Cincinnati.

5TimeWSChamps
02-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Might as well pin this. I'll be going to it a lot this year while drinking.

Roush's socks
02-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Great thread. The Reds have quite a few historical moments like the 1869 undefeated team and the first night baseball game with lights.

From my life
Pete Rose breaking the record and Eric Davis HR in game 1 of 1990 WS