PDA

View Full Version : MLB.com At-bat app

Redsfan320
03-02-2012, 10:28 AM
I just grabbed the '12 version for $15 for the Kindle Fire. Anyone else have any experiences with this app?

IslandRed
03-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I've had it the last few years for the iPhone. Well worth the money.

Reds Fanatic
03-02-2012, 11:30 AM
A couple of changes with the app this year.

One nice change is you used to have to buy it for both the iPhone and iPad seperately. Now you just purchase it once and can use it on both.

Also this year if you subscribe to mlb.tv you don't have to pay for the app it is included with that subscription. You can login with your mlb.tv login and get all the features. If you don't subscribe then it is $14.99 for the app for year.

It is a very good app. I agree it is well worth the money.

11larkin11
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Pretty upset. Its not compatible with my iPhone 3G and my upgrade isn't available until May.

kbrake
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Had it last year and loved it. Going to go get it now.

HeatherC1212
03-02-2012, 12:26 PM
I got it last year for the first time and it was well worth the money. I just bought this year's version yesterday afternoon and can't wait to use it again. :)

RBA
03-02-2012, 01:32 PM
I am going to get MLB.tv premium which includes the app. I am always looking for a bargain and hopefully there will be a coupon code I can use this year before the season starts. If not, I'll pay full price.

WildcatFan
03-02-2012, 03:26 PM
This is my third year, and it's the best app out there. Even for all its blackout business, MLB is far, far ahead of the curve on mobile technology.

kbrake
03-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Ok apparently it is not out for Blackberry this year. That really sucks, not up for a new phone til September and now I'm not sure what I'll do when I'm at work during day games.

dougdirt
03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Does anyone care to expand on what all you can do with the app without having any other subscriptions.

MikeThierry
03-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Does anyone care to expand on what all you can do with the app without having any other subscriptions.

Furthermore, can someone explain to those who don't know what it is, well... what it is? I'm clueless on what this app does... though some say I'm just clueless regardless.

:)

kbrake
03-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Furthermore, can someone explain to those who don't know what it is, well... what it is? I'm clueless on what this app does... though some say I'm just clueless regardless.

:)

I just used it last year to listen to games on my phone while I was working. You can get either teams feed and it was really nice during Spring Training since 700 only does weekend games for the first few weeks. Might be more to it but that is all I did with it.

MikeThierry
03-02-2012, 06:33 PM
I just used it last year to listen to games on my phone while I was working. You can get either teams feed and it was really nice during Spring Training since 700 only does weekend games for the first few weeks. Might be more to it but that is all I did with it.

ohh... that sounds sexy

IslandRed
03-02-2012, 08:30 PM

That was the main deal for me, too. It does a lot of things well and has the interactive game tracker and all that, but the clincher was the game audio from both teams. For $15 per year, it sure beat paying nearly that much per month to SiriusXM (and they only carried the home-team feed), which is what I did before this app came out.

MikeS21
03-02-2012, 08:57 PM
What I liked was the ability to watch a condensed 10-12 minute video version of the games. If I missed a game, you could view all the highlights and a few "lo-lights" as well.

I had the At Bat app for 2010 and 2011 for the iPod Touch. This year I plan to check out the 2012 app for the Kindle Fire.

I do wonder if the Kindle version has the same condensed game feature or should I opt again for the iPod version?

dougdirt
03-02-2012, 09:00 PM
What I liked was the ability to watch a condensed 10-12 minute video version of the games. If I missed a game, you could view all the highlights and a few "lo-lights" as well.

I had the At Bat app for 2010 and 2011 for the iPod Touch. This year I plan to check out the 2012 app for the Kindle Fire.

I do wonder if the Kindle version has the same condensed game feature or should I opt again for the iPod version?

How did the condensed game feature work?

I too would be buying this for my Fire if I wind up going down that route, but this is the first feature someone has mentioned that would make it worth it for me. So, can you expand on how it worked? Was it nearly every play, just going back to back with all of the "in-between time" cut out, or was it just the more vital plays, essentially a long "highlight" of the game?

Ghosts of 1990
03-02-2012, 09:02 PM
It's sweet. Just mad I have to update my iPhone software to get it. I don't know how to update to version 4.02 or whatever

dougdirt
03-02-2012, 09:03 PM
It's sweet. Just mad I have to update my iPhone software to get it. I don't know how to update to version 4.02 or whatever

I don't have an iPhone, but I imagine that Google would be a good place to start with help on this one. I imagine there is probably a good step-by-step article out there to help you along so you don't mess anything up/lose any data.

JaxRed
03-02-2012, 09:04 PM
We skipped our Az Spring Training trip this year to save some $$, and bought the MLB-TV package which give you At-Bat for free, and went ahead and sprung for the Minor League package which is only $20 for the season when added to the MLB_TV at signup.

dougdirt
03-02-2012, 09:05 PM
sprung for the Minor League package which is only $20 for the season when added to the MLB_TV at signup.

Absolutely the best deal on the internet. I buy it each season and its just an incredible price. I would pay plenty more if they could find a way to get more AA/A+/A level games on there.

Tommyjohn25
03-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Best $15 you'll ever spend. Seriously.

MikeS21
03-02-2012, 09:24 PM
How did the condensed game feature work?

I too would be buying this for my Fire if I wind up going down that route, but this is the first feature someone has mentioned that would make it worth it for me. So, can you expand on how it worked? Was it nearly every play, just going back to back with all of the "in-between time" cut out, or was it just the more vital plays, essentially a long "highlight" of the game?
It really varies from game to game. Starting with the first inning, I would say normally, the condensed game shows all the scoring plays (both teams), also about 80%-90% of all the hits (both teams), and the final pitch of the AB for about 60%-70% of all the hitters (both teams). You don't see every pitch, but you get a flavor of how the game went.

Plus, they had all the normal high light clips. For example, if Homer Bailey has 7 K's, they might show the out pitch on all 7 K's. You see home runs, nice defensive plays, and those strange plays that usually get argued by the managers.

I enjoyed watching a quick review every morning in case I missed the game the night before. Condensed games take about 8 hours before they are available, whereas most highlights are immediately available - although highlights are added throughout the night.

I like the app, but I can see where some folks may not like it.

Redsfan320
03-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Forget at-bat, my parents gave me today the early b-day present of MLB.tv premium. Yeah!
And yes, I know the app comes with it.

03-03-2012, 09:33 AM
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.o.. It is Samsung's version of an Ipod Touch. It isn't listed as compatible. If it is later on, I'll probably get it.

Not sure how much I need it as I also get the EI package on DirectV and Gameday Audio.

RBA
03-03-2012, 09:41 AM
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.o.. It is Samsung's version of an Ipod Touch. It isn't listed as compatible. If it is later on, I'll probably get it.

Not sure how much I need it as I also get the EI package on DirectV and Gameday Audio.

That's an Android device. It may not be listed, but it should work. That's my opinion.

03-03-2012, 10:12 AM
That's an Android device. It may not be listed, but it should work. That's my opinion.

I just got it. It was compatible. Just need some games!:thumbup:

smith288
03-03-2012, 10:23 PM

Plug it into iTunes. Voi la

jmcclain19
03-05-2012, 04:20 AM
I love the app. Not having to buy it for my Ipad & Iphone separately this year is awesome.

The Condensed game feature allowed me to cancel my Extra Innings package.

Previously I would just wait till my kids went down for the night, and replay the game on my DVR. Now I use my ipad to watch the condensed version, usually before I go to bed for the night.

The live radio feature is useful via 3G on my phone. Listen to lots of Marty on my nightly commute.

Would whole heartedly recommend it for any baseball fan. If you take the time to poke around a Reds chat board in your spare time you're already a bit of a hard core fan. It's like baseball cotton candy. On demand all season.

gilpdawg
03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
A tip: I know that last year, on Android, if a device wasn't listed as supported, you could not get live video. If your device was rooted, there was a way to edit your build.prop to spoof the app into thinking you had one of their devices and it would work just fine. Basically MLB is too lazy to support a bunch of devices if there are problems and that's their way of working around it. As we get closer to the season, and if that problem still exists on the new app, I'll post the fix for everybody, so watch this space.

Also, there was a way to get around blackouts last year, but I can't make any promises on that one. :)

dougdirt
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
One of my friends now lives in North Carolina. He wants me to check with someone who has the app (or has had it in the past), how it works during the regular season when it comes to listening to games. He wants to be able to listen to the Reds during the season, but the app details right now only mention things about spring training.

Reds Fanatic
03-05-2012, 04:47 PM
One of my friends now lives in North Carolina. He wants me to check with someone who has the app (or has had it in the past), how it works during the regular season when it comes to listening to games. He wants to be able to listen to the Reds during the season, but the app details right now only mention things about spring training.

Yes he can definitely listen to all Reds games on the app during the regular season if he pays for the app. The free lite version won't include that but if he pays the $14.99 for the year he will get audio of all the games (Both home and away feeds)

dougdirt
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Yes he can definitely listen to all Reds games on the app during the regular season if he pays for the app. The free lite version won't include that but if he pays the $14.99 for the year he will get audio of all the games (Both home and away feeds)

That is what I thought, but I wanted to make sure before I told him to plop down $15 and then he had to buy an additional thing to activate that. Thanks :thumbup:

wolfboy
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I've had the app for a couple of years now. I absolutely love it.

jmcclain19
03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
In addition to what Reds Fanatic mentioned, paying for it also gets you all the video highlights, condensed games and last year at least each night they offered a free video feed to one single game. All of that accessible without paying any additional subscription feeds.

defender
03-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Last year the tv feed was free in April and then one free game per day the rest of the season. Video highlights were usually available withing minuets.

Captain Hook
03-06-2012, 02:54 PM
It case there's not enough people saying how sweet this app is I'll add to that number.It's sweet.Normally I'd always complain about paying $15 for an app but not this one.I don't miss dealing with wlw's spotty reception in Columbus one bit.One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the game day feature.If your at work without access to a computer and can't listen or don't want to listen it's a great way to follow a game.