PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Luke Scott!

MikeThierry
03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
In a recent interview, he said this about Red Sox fans:

Just their arrogance. The fans come in and they take over the city. They're ruthless. They're vulgar. They cause trouble. They talk about your family. Swear at you. Who likes that? When people do that, it just gives you more incentive to beat them. Then when things like [the last game of last season] happen, you celebrate even more. You go to St. Louis -- classiest fans in the game. You do well, there's no vulgarity. You know what? You don't wish them bad."

Luke Scott has become my favorite non-Cardinal for saying this. The Red Sox fans are by far the most annoying fan base in the entire MLB. When I lived in NY for a couple of years, I experienced this stuff first hand. They pushed me into rooting for the Yankees. I would even go so far to say that Sox fans are even worse than Cubs fans.

RedFanAlways1966
03-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Marty thinks it is the Cubs fans, lol (cue youtube!). Says a lot about someone who swears at you b/c you like another team (whether in your own city or theirs). Drug problem, drinking problem, low self-esteem, all of the above? Goes for all sports. I guess it verifies why there are words like idiot and stupid in the dictionary.

MikeThierry
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Marty thinks it is the Cubs fans, lol (cue youtube!). Says a lot about someone who swears at you b/c you like another team (whether in your own city or theirs). Drug problem, drinking problem, low self-esteem, all of the above? Goes for all sports. I guess it verifies why there are words like idiot and stupid in the dictionary.

I've told said this in here before a long time ago so forgive me for repeating myself. I used to think it was Cubs fans. Then the company I worked for at the time moved me to NY. Experiencing the Red Sox fan base was shocking. I thought to myself "these are Cubs fans x2". It's amazing how similar both fan bases are in their annoyance, the insufferableness (if that's a word), etc. I think what separates them is that Cubs fans tend to be more drunk and Red Sox fans tend to be more in your face about stuff with that horrible accent of theirs. That is why Red Sox fans are on another level for me.

Vottomatic
03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Cardinal fans are jerks too. I can't stand them.

lollipopcurve
03-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I live in Massachusetts and when my sons were young we would go to Fenway at least once every year, usually more. I'll say this about Red Sox fans: they care. A lot. I've also heard some razzing (of Dave Parker when he coached 1st for the Angels and of Jim Leyritz) that was fall-off-the-seat entertaining. Not vulgar, just funny and relentless. You wouldn't hear it in Cincinnati, nor, I would guess, in STL. I think people get the wrong impression of New England sports fans, based on this last decade, when the teams up here have had so much success. The core fanbase up here is a dyed-in-the-wool, thick-or-thin tribe that athletes like to play for.

Dan
03-02-2012, 03:47 PM
The thing I remember most about Cardinals fans is 2004, when the Red Sox won the WS in St. Louis, the fans gave them a standing ovation. Pretty cool, that.

03-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Red Sox fans = Yankee fans. Elitist, obnoxious, but harmless.

Cub fans = Worst Fans Of All Sports And All Time.

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Cubs fans are still the worst. At least Red Sox fans - frontrunners that they are - can back it up by pointing to their success.

Cubs fans, on the other hand, turn out in droves, take over your stadium, high-five when their LF catches a routine fly out, get drunk and obnoxious, make fools of themselves during the 7th inning stretch - and all of this when they're losing 8-2 in the game and are 23 games out of first.

I don't have problems with real Yankee fans. The fake ones who've never been to NYC in their lives are a little annoying, but nothing like Cubs and Sox fans.

pedro
03-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm not a big fan of Luke Scott. He seems kind of stupid to me.

Edskin
03-02-2012, 04:08 PM
What's really ironic... Been to many ballparks and games over the years... And only did I have any sort of issue with an unruly fan(s).... Busch Stadium :)

Cardinals fans are great in that they love their team and always support them, but constantly calling themselves "the best fans in baseball" an never booing, or cussing, or thinking bad thoughts, or looking at pretty girls a few rows down, or fining fellow fans for not smiling, etc gets a big old....

MikeThierry
03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah Cubs fans are horrible. To me, Red Sox fans are 1A and Cubs fans are 1B.

Now Red Wings fans... ugg... don't get me started on their "ilk" :)

I admit we can be annoying with the whole "Best Fans in Baseball" stuff but I was proud of our fanbase when we gave the Red Sox a standing ovation when they swept us in 2004, as someone pointed out.

VR
03-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Cards fans have always been classy overall.

I did think, however, that he was talking about the Cards players and coaches when I first read this quote. Seriously.

"They're ruthless. They're vulgar. They cause trouble. They talk about your family. Swear at you. Who likes that? When people do that, it just gives you more incentive to beat them. "

SunDeck
03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Worst fans I have ever encountered were Cincinnati fans.
It was a Bengals game.
I mean I get the frustration thing, but I'd never take my kids to PBS to witness the levels of drunkeness and profanity that I saw there. Just ugly.

My all time favorite fans are these two guys:
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/07/a3828i0_cflbrawl.jpg
"Hey son, what say let's go to a ballgame together, strip to the waist, run on to the field and tackle that coach with the funny name?"
Little jr. is still proud of his moment (http://deadspin.com/5317107/william-ligues-son-still-proud-he-beat-up-that-first-base-coach), by the way.

fearofpopvol1
03-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Red Sox fans = Yankee fans. Elitist, obnoxious, but harmless.

Cub fans = Worst Fans Of All Sports And All Time.

As someone who has lived in New York for a long time and has gone to plenty of Yankees and Red Sox games, I disagree with you partially. Yankees fans are elitist, obnoxious, but harmless. Red Sox fans are elitist, obnoxious and dangerous. If you're rooting for the Yankees at Fenway, be prepared to have items launched at you and be prepared for pushing and other forms of physical violence. I've even seen this happen with fans of other teams outside of the Yankees at Fenway as well. Yankees fans are typically much more respectful. I'm sure there have been some isolated incidents of violence or other misconduct, but I've never seen anything at Yankees games other than some (mostly playful) taunting and that's usually been in the bleachers.

blumj
03-02-2012, 05:29 PM
The whole sports fan culture in NE is weird, it's like you're not a "true fan" unless you're angry all the time.

MikeThierry
03-02-2012, 05:51 PM
As someone who has lived in New York for a long time and has gone to plenty of Yankees and Red Sox games, I disagree with you partially. Yankees fans are elitist, obnoxious, but harmless. Red Sox fans are elitist, obnoxious and dangerous. If you're rooting for the Yankees at Fenway, be prepared to have items launched at you and be prepared for pushing and other forms of physical violence. I've even seen this happen with fans of other teams outside of the Yankees at Fenway as well. Yankees fans are typically much more respectful. I'm sure there have been some isolated incidents of violence or other misconduct, but I've never seen anything at Yankees games other than some (mostly playful) taunting and that's usually been in the bleachers.

Absolutely right. When I was living in NY in 2004, I almost had to hide the fact that I was a Cardinal fan when I was in the presence of Red Sox fans. They get up in your face about your fandom and you feel as if something physically dangerous is going to happen. I found Yankees fans, for the time living up there, elitist but very smart about the game and are generally respectful towards fans of other teams, outside of Red Sox fans of course. I really didn't mind their elitism either because I don't really blame them for being proud of their team. Sure it can be overberring at times, but 27 championships will do that to a fan base.

Maybe I shouldn't generalize all Red Sox fans but the many I meet really left a bad taste in my mouth. Oddly enough, I had no real problems with the team itself.

wolfboy
03-02-2012, 05:55 PM

This is absolutely dead on the money. I'd even argue that you're not safe at Yankee Stadium. I've seen Red Sox fans pull this crap on the subway after games. Red Sox fans are terrible. Period, end of story.

kbrake
03-02-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm not a big fan of Luke Scott. He seems kind of stupid to me.

This.

lollipopcurve
03-02-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm not going to go to the wall to defend Red Sox fans. I know folks up here can be hard-bitten. East coast is different.

But, just to turn the tables for a second, I've always felt frustrated by Reds fans, to a degree. Pretty passive bunch, kinda like they're watching TV at the ballpark a lot of the time. Little buzz, little energy.

lollipopcurve
03-02-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm not going to go to the wall to defend Red Sox fans. I know folks up here can be hard-bitten. East coast is different.

But, just to turn the tables for a second, I've always felt frustrated by Reds fans, to a degree. Pretty passive bunch, kinda like they're watching TV at the ballpark a lot of the time. Little buzz, little energy.

camisadelgolf
03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
This hasn't been my experience at all. I love going to St. Louis to see games because even as much of a jerk as I can be irl (hard to believe, right?), they have always been polite. That's also not to mention how knowledgeable of the game they are. I'd say the same thing about Cincinnati fans, too.

PuffyPig
03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
I beleive the cards fans are pretty good.

Too bad the team has to be full of jerks.

Hopefully now that Larussa is gone, that might change. Matheny seems to be a genuinely nice person.

And once Carpenter's arm falls off (surely it will, won't it?), that should improve the team 100%.

blumj
03-02-2012, 06:50 PM
This hasn't been my experience at all. I love going to St. Louis to see games because even as much of a jerk as I can be irl (hard to believe, right?), they have always been polite. That's also not to mention how knowledgeable of the game they are. I'd say the same thing about Cincinnati fans, too.
I think he was joking. I laughed at it, anyway.

camisadelgolf
03-02-2012, 07:57 PM
I think he was joking. I laughed at it, anyway.
It makes sense now that I see the OP came from a Cards fan.

I'll echo the comment from lollipopcurve. I really wish there was more energy at the ballpark for Reds games. It might help if the scoreboard animations weren't so cheesy. When I'm at a game, I have an absolute blast--and I absolutely refuse to participate in "the wave". Admittedly, alcohol usually helps, but it's not required.

MartyFan
03-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I have to say that I've been to several games over the last 5 years and most of those have been when the Cardinals have been in town. While I HATE the Cardinals only because of the rivalry, I got no problem with their fans, in fact, the best conversations I've had in the stands with fans from other teams have been with cardinal fans.

I will not go to a game when the Reds play Cubs, Mets or Phillies. Of the NL teams I've seen they are the least enjoyable to share space with.

When we lived in Tampa we went to Devil Rays games and never had any problem with Red Sox fans or Yankees fans...maybe it was because they dominated the era and the area? Still, I always had a good time at The Trop!

Spitball
03-02-2012, 10:52 PM
I think it is a matter of perspective. I was at a Rangers/Yankees game in Arlington a few years ago. It was almost like a Yankee home game. The Yankee fans were complete jerks until Marlon Byrd hit a homerun to win the game for the Rangers.

I was talking to a few employees and fans who were telling me the Yankee fans were much worse than the Red Sox fans. When we were waiting on the shuttle buses, the Yankee fans felt entitled to cut in front of the rest of us. It was really unbelievable. Several us us spoke up and insisted they wait their turn like the rest of us. You would have thought we had insulted royalty.

But really, I think it depends. Many of those fans that act like jerks in opposing stadiums are probably not real lifelong fans.

Spitball
03-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Besides, I don't like Luke Scott. I don't care what he believes. I've read his views and could care less what he has to say.

Dom Heffner
03-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Besides, I don't like Luke Scott. I don't care what he believes. I've read his views and could care less what he has to say.

The comment where he says they "talk about your family" might be the biggest piece of hypocrisy ever.

If he were a Red, I'd be a Dodger's fan.

tommycash
03-04-2012, 12:35 AM
My worst experiences have always been with Chicago fans in general. When it comes to games at Riverfront and GABP, Cubs fans show up like they own the place. They are always cussing and getting upset when Reds fans cheer for their own team. Always see security throwing someone out with a Cubs hat for doing something stupid when they come to town.

White Sox fans can be just as bad. Last time I was in Chicago, didn't know I was gonna be taken to the game and I just happened to be wearing a Votto shirt. I thought it would be nice to see Adam Dunn play, so my cousin who lives in Chi-town took me to a game. They were playing the Royals, and you would of thought I should have been thrown out of town for wearing a Votto shirt. Damn, I am big guy, and I was getting treated like crap. Just rude people. I was just there to enjoy a game and root for Dunn, left with a real bad taste of White Sox fans when I left.

Roy Tucker
03-04-2012, 12:00 PM
The first thing I'll say is that every team has obnoxious fans. Some have more, some have less, but no team is immune to having idiot fans.

I think Yankee fans are fairly harmless because they've beaten the snot out of everyone for the last 100 years.

I haven't seen Red Sox fans on the road, but I've been to many games at Fenway with my Reds C cap on and usually had good and passionate discussions with Sox fans. They weren't playing the Reds so I imagine that had something to do with it.

I've got nothing good to say about Cubs fans.

The interactions with visiting fans I've had has been good (but then I'm a pretty easy-going guy and haven't been in a fistfight for 35 years and I'm not looking for trouble). Most visiting teams fans to Cinci have been pretty decent (besides Cubs fans). Cards fans are pretty good. Braves fans have a little of that Yankee attitude in them since they've won for so long. I had fun with some Blue Jay fans last year. They had a little bit of a Euro soccer kind of attitude with team cheers and all that.

Frankly, the biggest beef I've had with fans are Cincinnati people who are at the game but they aren't watching the game and are more concerned with cell phone calls, stuffing their faces every 1/2 inning, yakking about mindless drivel during the ballgame action, and paying more attention to the scoreboard video between innings than watching the dang game.

Get off my lawn.

_Sir_Charles_
03-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Frankly, the biggest beef I've had with fans are Cincinnati people who are at the game but they aren't watching the game and are more concerned with cell phone calls, stuffing their faces every 1/2 inning, yakking about mindless drivel during the ballgame action, and paying more attention to the scoreboard video between innings than watching the dang game.

Get off my lawn.

This. We've got no room to complain when we can't get our own fanbase to firstly "show up" and secondly "pay attention". Glass houses and all.