PDA

View Full Version : Marysville, Indiana Tornado 'Completely' Destroys Town

RBA
03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/02/marysville-indiana-tornado-destroys-town_n_1317161.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Tornadoes have left widespread damage in southern Indiana and a sheriff's official says at least one town of about 1,900 people is "completely gone."

National Weather Service coordinator Bill Whitlock there's "extreme damage" in the area of Henryville, a town of about 3,000 people just north of the Kentucky border. Destruction can be seen for miles and a school district spokeswoman says heavy damage has been reported at Henryville High school.

Clark County Sheriff's Department Maj. Chuck Adams says the nearby town of Marysville is "completely gone."

Indiana Department of Homeland Security spokesman John Erickson says there are injuries but no immediate reports of fatalities.

Officials say they've had difficulty confirming reports due to downed power and telephone lines.

Anybody know anybody on the board from there?

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-02-2012, 08:33 PM
Moscow, Ohio, east of Cincinnati was also devastated by a separate twister.

Stray
03-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I live in NKY, we got hit really hard. Downed trees, roof damage, and our walls cracked. Luckily we all stayed safe and I get to crash with family till everything gets fixed.

What a horrible day for our area.

RBA
03-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I live in NKY, we got hit really hard. Downed trees, roof damage, and our walls cracked. Luckily we all stayed safe and I get to crash with family till everything gets fixed.

What a horrible day for our area.

That's terrible. But, the only thing that truly matters is you and your family is safe.

WVRed
03-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Any chance we could get the thread title changed? There's been a lot more casualties, especially in Kentucky:

West Liberty:

http://ksr.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/AnB-HgACAAA8vFs.jpg

Henryville:

http://ksr.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/800_indiana_tornado_damage1_ap_120302.jpg

OldRightHander
03-03-2012, 12:29 AM
My brother drives one of our trucks and he lives in West Liberty. I booked him a load to get him close to home for the weekend and about 4 hours ago we saw on the news that West Liberty was hit hard by tornadoes. We can't reach anyone in town by phone but we reached my brother's brother in law who lives about 25 miles away. He drove over to the town to check on my brother's wife and daughter and could only get within a couple miles of the town. He walked the rest of the way into town and found their house completely gone and no sign of anyone. The Red Cross is setting up shelters and last we heard he was going there to see if they're safe. We don't know anything yet.

RBA
03-03-2012, 01:21 AM
My brother drives one of our trucks and he lives in West Liberty. I booked him a load to get him close to home for the weekend and about 4 hours ago we saw on the news that West Liberty was hit hard by tornadoes. We can't reach anyone in town by phone but we reached my brother's brother in law who lives about 25 miles away. He drove over to the town to check on my brother's wife and daughter and could only get within a couple miles of the town. He walked the rest of the way into town and found their house completely gone and no sign of anyone. The Red Cross is setting up shelters and last we heard he was going there to see if they're safe. We don't know anything yet.

That's just terrible. I don't know what to say.

OldRightHander
03-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Everyone is ok. House and all belongings are gone, but they're unharmed. They had to be dug out of the rubble by National Guard troops.

Slyder
03-03-2012, 02:30 AM

Prayers for you and everyone at all the towns that were so brutally struck. Charleston my parents said they heard the tornado sirens and got into the basement of my sister's house. It seemed to be a false alarm I was up on the hill at the y and it was coming down in sheets for a while.

dougdirt
03-03-2012, 03:31 AM
A friend of mine had a tornado come through his neighborhood today in Kentucky. His house was only slightly damaged, but they are able to stay in it tonight. Several houses in the neighborhood are completely gone while numerous others are missing upper levels, one side, a roof and a condo complex had a building ripped through that only has the top floor left and some interior walls. My friend and his family is safe, thankfully. But looking at the pictures he uploaded on FB, it is just sad to see. Fortunately, this area knew bad storms were coming for a day now, and hopefully that was able to prevent what could have been much worse with less time.

dougdirt
03-03-2012, 03:31 AM
A friend of mine had a tornado come through his neighborhood today in Kentucky. His house was only slightly damaged, but they are able to stay in it tonight. Several houses in the neighborhood are completely gone while numerous others are missing upper levels, one side, a roof and a condo complex had a building ripped through that only has the top floor left and some interior walls. My friend and his family is safe, thankfully. But looking at the pictures he uploaded on FB, it is just sad to see. Fortunately, this area knew bad storms were coming for a day now, and hopefully that was able to prevent what could have been much worse with less time.

GAC
03-03-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm glad your relatives were found safe OdRightHander. My prayers to you, and to the entire region devastated by these storms.

reds1869
03-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Glad to hear your relatives are safe, ORH. This was one of the craziest outbreaks I've seen and it really reminded me of my time in Tornado Alley. Just very tragic and words can't express how sorry I am for the victims.

Playadlc
03-05-2012, 05:38 AM
The tornado that hit Henryville, Indiana was about 10 miles from my house. It completely decimated the town, including the high school. I went by there today to help and everything is destroyed.

My friend's wife had her kids in the basement in their three story house when the tornado hit. His wife was on top of the kids when the house collapsed on top of her. She ended up saving her kids (they didn't have a scratch on them) but had her legs crushed. One leg was amputated from the knee down, and the other was amputated from the ankle down. She is going to make it, though. It's a miracle that any of them are still alive.

The whole thing is just awful. Can't even describe it, really.

oneupper
03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
The tornado that hit Henryville, Indiana was about 10 miles from my house. It completely decimated the town, including the high school. I went by there today to help and everything is destroyed.

My friend's wife had her kids in the basement in their three story house when the tornado hit. His wife was on top of the kids when the house collapsed on top of her. She ended up saving her kids (they didn't have a scratch on them) but had her legs crushed. One leg was amputated from the knee down, and the other was amputated from the ankle down. She is going to make it, though. It's a miracle that any of them are still alive.

That's terrible.

Here in Florida we complain about the hurricanes, but they're nothing compared to those tornadoes. We always have plenty of time to plan and evacuate if necessary.

Another thing, I always associated Tornadoes with Kansas and Oklahoma. Is the tornado "hot spot" (if there is such a thing), creeping north? (global warming?). Because lately its all Missouri and Indiana.

OldRightHander
03-05-2012, 12:47 PM
We've always had them around here. 1974 was a bad year as well.

medford
03-05-2012, 01:20 PM
One of the worst tornado's ever recorded (actually I think it was the worst until the one that swept thru alabama last year) was in Xenia, oh. 1974? 77? Somewhere in that time frame. I wouldn't blame global warming on these tornados, as much as some might like to. Ohio has had tornados as long as I can remember.

Sorry to hear the devastation to people mentioned on here. I can't imagine what that mother and her family is going thru emotionally at this time. tough, tough hand.

dabvu2498
03-05-2012, 01:58 PM
One of the worst tornado's ever recorded (actually I think it was the worst until the one that swept thru alabama last year) was in Xenia, oh. 1974? 77? Somewhere in that time frame. I wouldn't blame global warming on these tornados, as much as some might like to. Ohio has had tornados as long as I can remember.

Sorry to hear the devastation to people mentioned on here. I can't imagine what that mother and her family is going thru emotionally at this time. tough, tough hand.

This one: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Outbreak

It happened before I was born, but I've heard all about it as my parents' home near Louisville was destroyed.

davidrhode
03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Hey Reds fans,

The organization I run, Pitch In For Baseball (www.pitchinforbaseball.org) provides equipment to kids and communities in need. Last year, we made a major donation to the Little League program in Joplin, MO after tornados devastated that community.

If you know of someone who needs assistance, don't hesitate to give out our name. We'll do our best to help.

Regards
David Rhode

wolfboy
03-05-2012, 04:11 PM

So sorry to hear about your friend's wife, but glad she and the children made it out alive. My folks live in Milford and found debris in their yard from Henryville, which is about 130 miles away.

Playadlc
03-05-2012, 05:15 PM
So sorry to hear about your friend's wife, but glad she and the children made it out alive. My folks live in Milford and found debris in their yard from Henryville, which is about 130 miles away.

That is truly incredible.

Screwball
03-05-2012, 09:48 PM

WOW. What debris was in their yard?

LoganBuck
03-06-2012, 08:36 AM

Just saw your friend and his wife on the CBS morning show. What a tale. I have no words beyond that. Wow.

wolfboy
03-06-2012, 01:26 PM

A paystub, among other things they couldn't pinpoint location on.

Playadlc
03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Just saw your friend and his wife on the CBS morning show. What a tale. I have no words beyond that. Wow.

Really? That's awesome!

Joe (Stephanie's wife who got hurt) is the head baseball coach at Silver Creek High School here in Sellersburg and I worked with him last season as the JV coach. He is a really good dude and a great baseball coach. I don't know Stephanie that well, but she has always been super nice to me.

I'm glad this is getting out there. It's a tragic, but also great story.

RichRed
03-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Really? That's awesome!

Joe (Stephanie's wife who got hurt) is the head baseball coach at Silver Creek High School here in Sellersburg and I worked with him last season as the JV coach. He is a really good dude and a great baseball coach. I don't know Stephanie that well, but she has always been super nice to me.

I'm glad this is getting out there. It's a tragic, but also great story.

Here's the story on The Weather Channel's site:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/woman-loses-legs_2012-03-06

Slyder
03-07-2012, 01:36 AM

People in Lincoln County were finding mail from West Liberty, KY. I might not be sitting here if the storm didn't fall apart short of Kanawha County.

Slyder
03-07-2012, 01:40 AM

http://gma.yahoo.com/hero-mom-stephanie-decker-recounts-saving-kids-tornado-043033520--abc-news.html

This her? Wow brave woman.

klw
03-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Here is an amazing up close video of the Henryville tornado. Warning: the camera guy swears alot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BPh3IRQGsAI