PDA

View Full Version : Pirates extend McCutchen 6yr/$51.5MM

mattfeet
03-05-2012, 10:49 AM
The Pirates and Andrew McCutchen have agreed to a six-year extension worth $51.5MM with a club option for a seventh year at $14.75MM, according to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Pirates are doing some good things lately. It's a shame about Burnett being out for 2-3 months but this deal has to be sending good vibes in the Pirate clubhouse.

-Matt

redsmetz
03-05-2012, 11:44 AM
The Pirates and Andrew McCutchen have agreed to a six-year extension worth $51.5MM with a club option for a seventh year at $14.75MM, according to Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Pirates are doing some good things lately. It's a shame about Burnett being out for 2-3 months but this deal has to be sending good vibes in the Pirate clubhouse.

-Matt

Especially with Houston exiting for the AL, there's really no reason that the NL Central shouldn't be the best division in baseball.

Chip R
03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Don't get too comfy there, Andrew.

Vottomatic
03-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Holy smokes, Batman. That's a reasonable contract for one of the more talented players in the league.

Every chance I had, I'd be pitching a trade of prospects to get that guy.

Roy Tucker
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Many parallels to Jay Bruce.

kaldaniels
03-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Many parallels to Jay Bruce.

Dave Cameron on fangraphs states as fact Mccutcheon is far superior to Bruce. Do you guys see that the case, especially going forward?

Benihana
03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Upton, Gordon, Zimmerman, Braun, Romero, Tulowitzki, Maybin, McCutchen, Bruce, Ellsbury, Garza, Rasmus.

The first round of a Fantasy Baseball draft? No, the first round of the 2005 MLB draft. Perhaps the best round in MLB draft history?

The Mariners pick of Jeff Clement #3 overall makes the Reds' selection of Chad Mottola look great.

dougdirt
03-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Dave Cameron on fangraphs states as fact Mccutcheon is far superior to Bruce. Do you guys see that the case, especially going forward?

Going forward, not so much. He has been to this point though, particularly when considering one plays center and one plays right. I think Jay has more potential in his bat, so how much he grows in that regard is what will matter most when it comes to who is better.

Roy Tucker
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM

I thought it more from the years/dollars standpoint (isn't Bruce's contract almost exactly McCutcheon's) and, roughly speaking, a young player who has potential, experienced a decent amount of current production, and is forcasted to a rosey future.

Caveat Emperor
03-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I wonder if he finally got that vacant expression off his face when he signed the contract.

RedsManRick
03-05-2012, 07:14 PM

McCutchen's CF defense and contact rate will probably give him more consistency over the course of his career than Bruce. But his lack of power limits his upside.

Bruce is going to be prone to bigger slumps and has less defensive upside, but he could add 100 points of slugging and put up an MVP type season.

McCutchen isn't going to put up a .270/.360/.600. Bruce probably won't either, but he could.

Ghosts of 1990
03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Framework of the deal very similar to those of Justin Upton and Bruce, as others have pointed out.

This is as uber long-term as it gets in Pirate land. LTC's to the Pirates are usually 3 years.

Chip R
03-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Framework of the deal very similar to those of Justin Upton and Bruce, as others have pointed out.

This is as uber long-term as it gets in Pirate land. LTC's to the Pirates are usually 3 years.

I'll be surprised if he's there after 3 years.

Blitz Dorsey
03-06-2012, 02:34 AM
Especially with Houston exiting for the AL, there's really no reason that the NL Central shouldn't be the best division in baseball.

Easy there big boy. The AL East says hello.

vaticanplum
03-06-2012, 11:16 AM
I wonder if he finally got that vacant expression off his face when he signed the contract.

My favorite graphic in the history of ballpark graphics:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4078/4954186326_ba7d6762a7_z.jpg

Just Andrew McCutchen. Hanging with his hot dog.

CarolinaRedleg
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I'll be surprised if he's there after 3 years.

I see this contract ending in Pinstripes.

Caveat Emperor
03-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Just Andrew McCutchen. Hanging with his hot dog.

Old RZ would have already had Jim Edmonds photoshopped into that picture.

mattfeet
03-06-2012, 10:12 PM

Most competitive, maybe. Best, that goes to AL:East, and Id potentially say the NL:East is better overall than the NL:C, too.

-Mat

REDREAD
03-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Yes, I agree that Mccutcheon has been more valuable thus far. It's hard to argue otherwise.
Bruce is going to really have to become more consistent to become a better player. Bruce probably has more potential going forward, but will he reach it? Hard to say.

This is not a post bashing Bruce. It's just that Mccutcheon is extremely valuable.