PDA

View Full Version : Best moment as Reds fan

RedsfaninMT
03-05-2012, 03:59 PM
As was pointed out, last thread was a downer. So outside of World Series victories, what are your favorite memories as a Reds fan? And to make it more challenging, you had to be there to see it for yourself.

1. Johnny Bench's game tying home run against the Pirates in game 5 of the 1972 playoffs.

2. Pete Rose record breaking hit. Incidentally, I was at that game and the night's before having bought tickets months in advance. Came in from Montana, was bummed he didn't get in first game, thrilled when he came through in the second game. Drove home the next day.

izzy's dad
03-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Jay Bruce's division clinching solo shot in 2010. I was at Johnny Cueto's debut when he struck out 10 with no walks, that was pretty cool. But nothing compares to the Jay Bruce homer, at least in my lifetime.

RedsfaninMT
03-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Jay Bruce's division clinching solo shot in 2010. I was at Johnny Cueto's debut when he struck out 10 with no walks, that was pretty cool. But nothing compares to the Jay Bruce homer, at least in my lifetime.

Saw that on TV (mlbtv) but not in attendance. Right off the bat - dead centerfield. And Jay rising his fist in sheer, pure joy! That was pretty awesome, would have loved to have been at that game.

Jefferson24
03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Homer's debut. I only go a few games a year at best and I had got the tickets several months in advance and it just worked out that it was Homer's first game.

justincredible
03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Jay Bruce division clincher.
Ramon's Opening Day walk-off.
Chapman's debut.

These are the three most recent that I can remember.

izzy's dad
03-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Saw that on TV (mlbtv) but not in attendance. Right off the bat - dead centerfield. And Jay rising his fist in sheer, pure joy! That was pretty awesome, would have loved to have been at that game.

I remember jumping up and down in my living room, screaming "PLAYOFFS, PLAYOFFS!" Was an amazing moment.

brad1176
03-05-2012, 04:48 PM
In person, it has to be June 2nd, 1989, Eric Davis hits for the cycle against San Diego. I was 12 years old and it forever cemented the 44 Magnum as my favorite player.

oldredbird
03-05-2012, 04:51 PM
The last game ever at Crosly Field. Still have my ticket.

Spazzrico
03-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Yeah for me that was pretty amazing. It only tops 1990 for me and my first Reds game that year (E.Davis Grand slam), because I was up listening with my two week old daughter in my arms when Bruce hit it. Her first Reds moment.

HalMorrisRules
03-05-2012, 05:18 PM
It was this game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN199005110.shtml

Scott Scudder had to come in as an emergency starter and got shelled early by the Cubs. I wasnt there but my buddy and I were watching it and then left to go bowling. They had the game on there and we kept an eye on it as we bowled. In the 8th inning the Reds were down 5-4 with he bases loaded and Sabo was up against Mitch Williams. By this time a crowd had gathered around the TV set at the alley. Sabo laced a ball into the left field gap and three runs scored. Everybody was high fiving and jumping up and down and cheering. It didnt matter that we werent at the game, we screamed as if we were. Once the inning was over we all went back to our games. That moment only lasted for a second but I will never forget that spontaneous reaction by a bunch of strangers in the corner of a bowling alley but that season was so magical everyone could sense it and wanted to be a part of it.

bounty37h
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Well, I only have a few in person Reds games-outside of Spring Training, HOF game, or minor league games. So, I would go with Aug 17, 1983 (I think, a day either way) in Pittsburgh. My first MLB game in person-my parents drove me up from NC for my 9'th birthday to see the team and Bench as he was my favorite player and retiring that year. Hit a homer, think it was his last road homer of his career-haven't checked to confirm, but pretty certain.

nux fan
03-05-2012, 06:25 PM
when the reds signed pat corrales!

Cant Touch This
03-05-2012, 08:02 PM
1. Sitting 20 rows back from first base while Pete Rose soaked it all in after hit #4192.
2. The Jay Bruce playoff-clinching HR was amazing. Not only immediately, but the swarm of people that gravitated from GABP to Fountain Square was an awesome spectacle for Cincinnati. Incredible night.
3. Sitting in the same seats for the Pete Rose hit, I saw Johnny Bench hit a home run on September 17, 1983: The original "Johnny Bench Day."
4. Random moment, but one I'll never forget: 1999 was full of incredibly exciting moments, many of which happened on the road, which is why the team was dubbed "The Big Road Machine." Early in the season, the Reds had just returned to Cinergy Field after a 7-0 road trip to Arizona and Houston. They were facing the Diamondbacks in the home opener of the series and trailed 5-2 going into the bottom of the 9th. Buck Showalter sent rookie Vicente Padilla to the mound to close out the game - his MLB debut! The Reds never even recorded an out. Single by Greg Vaughn, double by Larkin, blooper by Taubensee that was misplayed by Womack into a triple to tie the game at 4, punctuated by an Aaron Boone single to left over a drawn-in infield to win it. 26,000+ in the yard that night and I was several cold ones deep, so we were partying like it was 1999! Well, it was...

That 1999 team was one of my favorites of all time. Hard to beat 1990, but the '99 season was the most dramatic that I can remember as a Reds fan.

code
03-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Watching Johnny Cuto's kick Jason LaRue. :) not because of Jason LaRue but because it was a Cardinals player.

Tuff Nut
03-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Well, since I've been to a total of 6 games, 4 in '73, and 2 in 2002, my most memorable moment was Jeff Bagwell's 400 HR.

Josh
03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
2010 season my wife and I got to go to our first Reds game and Sam LeCure's debut against the Astros was in like the second inning and I noticed a sign on the cup holders that said something about a lucky row and then all the sudden people all dressed up and waving ballons and blowing wistles was at our row and said your row is todays lucky row and said if any of the Reds hit a home run that inning we won a free slice of Larosa's and BP stepped to the plate and smoked a homer lol. Of corse the best part was we won fifteen to six but my first game was an awesome experience!!

goreds2
03-06-2012, 12:20 AM
As was pointed out, last thread was a downer. So outside of World Series victories, what are your favorite memories as a Reds fan? And to make it more challenging, you had to be there to see it for yourself.
See line one of my signature.

nux fan
03-06-2012, 02:23 AM
acquiring Andy Kosko

BRM13
03-06-2012, 02:33 AM
I've been going to games whenever I lived in Cincinnati (or within a couple hour drive) since 1971. So, I've got a number of 'best' moments that I witnessed in person. Some that leap to mind, roughly in order:

1. As a small kid I saw Johnny Bench beat the Mets (and Tom Seaver was still in the game I think) with a walk off homerun in the first game of the 1973 playoffs.

2. Took my son to the Jay Bruce clinching homerun game. Growing up I thought big time excitement happened at Reds games all the time. As an adult I figured I better get him down to see something, before his entire childhood slipped by without him seeing anything like that in person. It was absolutely electric down there.

3. I saw George Foster hit a red seat homerun (in 1978?). I also saw Foster hit 3 homeruns in a doubleheader around that time.

4. Ray Knight/Eric Davis brawl at 3rd base (in 1986?). I took a bunch of basically non-baseball fans from college to that game. They wanted to see Cincinnati and why I liked baseball so much. I don't think they really liked the baseball too much, but they came away very entertained despite that. It turned out to be a classic game. Lefty reliever Jesse Orosco wound playing right field for a bit between stints on the mound in extra innings if I remember it right.

5. I saw Adam Dunn hit a ball pretty much into the Ohio river one night (about 2006?).

6. Saw Aroldis Chapman in 2010 throw sliders in the low 90s that were fully 12-13 mph below his fastball. Major league hitters looked like bad little leaguers. Ridiculously entertaining.

7. A thrilling come from behind win in September 1999 featuring an Eddie Taubensee homerun. The stadium was only a third full or so, but it was shaking. Tremendous atmosphere, tremendous year. I had just moved back to Cincinnati after many, many years away and managed to get down to half a dozen games in the last two months of that fantastic season.

8. In retrospect, I saw a lot of amazing things in the 1970s that I completely took for granted...Reds/Dodgers games in front 50,000+, Tom Seaver near his peak, Rose stretching singles into doubles and going first to third with a head first slide, Concepcion deep in the hole bouncing one to first. I saw all those things multiple times, so they didn't register at the time as great moments. With 40 years of games under my belt, I see how remarkable they were. In later years Eric Davis near the fence (or dominating on the base paths!) is the thing that comes closest to the pretty much daily excitement/dominance of the Big Red Machine.

9. Oh, yeah. In 1999 I was overall champion of a fantasy league where the major prize was that I got to throw out the first pitch at a Reds/Cubs game. That actually goes way up the list, in no small part because no one ever believes me...Btw, I threw a strike. I have witnesses.:D

will5979
03-06-2012, 08:41 AM
1. Game 6 of the 90 NLCS, seeing the Reds win the pennant was very special.
2. Game 3 of the 95 NLDS.
3. Opening Day 2002 watching Larkin score the winning run on a headfirst slide in the bottom of the 9th.
4. The last time I saw Larkin play in May 2004, he hits a HR, the Reds win 5-3.
5. The only time I saw Pete Rose play. I was maybe 6 or 7 years old, but when he came to bat I knew he was a legend.

Ohioballplayer
03-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Had to be Pete's 4192, that was frekkin awesome.

If you are talking about personally (at the game)

September 16th 1988 - Tom Browning pitches a perfect game, 72 out of a 100 were strikes, this was a birthday present (i was born on the 15th)
Best personal moment at a reds game.

2nd - Dunners game winning homerun on opening day (cant remember the year)

Old NDN
03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I've posted parts of this in various threads in past years, but here's my favorite: When I was 14, my dad took me to Crosley Field to watch a Reds-Dodgers game. An IF for the Dodgers was a guy named Marv Breeding, a former American Legion teammate of my uncle's, in Alabama. I had met him a few years earlier when I tagged along to their Legion games. He had just been traded to the Dodgers from the Orioles, so I sneaked down by their dugout to say hi. He was shocked to see me, and actually remembered me! He was kinda embarrassed when I asked him to autograph my glove. He also introduced me to Moose Skowron (sp). A great day, for sure!

We had settled into our seats behind 1B and I was really basking in all that had transpired, to the point of not really following the game closely. Joe Nuxhall was pitching, Maury Wills batting. Wills sliced a line drive foul that headed our direction. I stood up instinctively, to see where it was headed.....right at me!! I threw my glove up defensively, catching it, as it knocked me down into my seat. Dang it stung!! Everybody started pounding on me, congratulating me. When I took the ball out of my glove, it had a big gob of spit/tobacco juice on it! Ushers came, took my name etc. and a few days later received an "Honorary Contract" (which I still have) in the mail. When the spit dried, it left an obvious "dark" spot on the ball. What a great day at the Ballpark!!

Years later, I had the opportunity to share this story with Nuxie, over a couple of beers. He readily admitted to throwing the spitter, and said the last one he threw was to Richie Allen, in Philly, and it still hadn't landed!

Sorry to be so long, but this thread has brought back some great memories!

nux fan
03-06-2012, 11:21 AM
executing a sacrifice bunt by julian javier

Helms1
03-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Tommy Helms helping my Little League team because he knew my dad. Hence the name and a young man that became a life long Reds Fanatic.

gedred69
03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Some great ones posted, many I was there for. Bench's HR in the bottom of the 9th in '72 playoffs. Sat through hrs. of rain. Foster Red-seater that I swear was still on the upward arch when it hit the seats. My brother and me there remembering Dad when Bruce hit the '10 division clincher. But the best was 2nd game '76 World Series, with my Dad when Catfish walked---- I believe it was Foster, to get to Perez. As the Dog walked up to the plate the stare-down between them gave me chills. 1st pitch, game over.

DaytonFlyer
03-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I was at the game when Pete Rose shoved the umpire. We were in the green seats in the outfield... still remember my dad just finding whatever trash he could and throwing it onto the field.

No, I'm not proud... but it was memorable.

RedsfaninMT
03-06-2012, 02:35 PM
The mention of red-seat home runs brings up one of my favorites. Davey Concepcion hitting one into the red seats in left field. As I recall, he had two that game. I always used to carry a little transistor radio to listen to the call as I watched the game, with tiny earpiece inserted in my ear. I remember Marty (at least I don't think it was Joe), saying "I do not believe it, I do not believe it. Folks, Davey Concepcion has just taken ???? into the upper deck of red seats in left field.

The specifics might be off, but he did hit a red seater.

jhu1321
03-06-2012, 02:58 PM
No doubt Jay Bruce's division clinching home run in 2010. Was in a log cabin in Tennessee watching on vacation. A coupe of beers during the game helped add to my enthusiasm! :beerme:

nux fan
03-06-2012, 03:32 PM
when bob lee relieved bill kelso!!

OGB
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
The only Opening Day I've ever been to was 2005. The weather was absolutely serene that day. Pedro Martinez started and was pretty dominant for 7 or 8 innings. The Reds went into the ninth down by two. Adam Dunn hit a rocket shot to center with one on to tie the game. The next batter was Joe Randa who smokked one into the left field seats for the win.

I can't remember many details about the game, but I was there the night Jose Rijo made his first appearance as a reliever after sitting out several years with injuries. I can't recall ever seeing someone get a longer, more emotional standing ovation just for walking onto the field. I'm fairly certain he went six up, six down in that appearance, too.

buckeyeboy
03-06-2012, 03:41 PM
1976. Playoffs.Trailing, 6-4, in the bottom of the ninth, the Reds took Game 3 by putting together a three-run rally highlighted by back-to-back homers from Foster and Bench to advance to the World Series, where they swept the Yankees in four.

My Dad and I were there. Riverfront stadium. Tickets were in the last couple of rows in centerfield, BEHIND the scoreboard. But it didn't matter. Wonderful memories!

drowg14
03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Best moment from a game I went to was probably Bailey's major league debut against the Indians. It was my last summer before college, went with like 10 of my friends from high school. He only pitched 5 innings, but he got the win.

nux fan
03-07-2012, 02:45 AM
the debut of chris bushing

jwmann2
03-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Favorite: My first Reds game. 1995; 8 years old vs. the Astros. Ron Gant hit a grand slam and Barry Larkin hit a home run. Still have the game program from that game too. Man, I miss Cinergy.

Biggest Regret: Skipping the Jay Bruce clincher in 2010. Was convinced I was going but then looked at the forecast.

Copenhagenkid91
03-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Last year i came home for leave in july while the tribe was in town. Watching Chapman throw a 102 mph fastball from behind home plate was pretty amazing