PDA

View Full Version : Peyton

Sea Ray
03-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Since he's no longer an Indianapolis Colt I think we ought to start a new thread on the travails of one, Peyton Manning.

I was thinking that Arizona would be the favorite landing spot for him but I also think Seattle will make a big play for him and apparently I'm not the only one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/07/report-seahawks-willing-to-spend-big-for-peyton-manning/

sonny
03-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I'd retire if I was him. Go out on top, sort of and not have a Emmitt Smith in a cardinals jersey situation.

NJReds
03-07-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd hate to see him go to the Redskins, who are reportedly going to make a big play for him.

I think it would make great sense for the 49ers to sign Peyton and Reggie Wayne, but they say they're sticking with Smith.

KoryMac5
03-07-2012, 02:32 PM
It's my guess it comes down to the Dolphins or Cards. Washington may be out due to him not wanting to play against his brother twice a yr, and the Jets are a mess. Should be several teams parked in his driveway come this weekend. My guess is the Dolphins.

HotCorner
03-07-2012, 04:04 PM
My guess is between the Chiefs and Dolphins with the Texans as a darkhorse. AFC teams to prevent the Mannings from meeting in the playoffs rather than the Super Bowl.

Ohayou
03-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I have to admit, I got a little choked up watching the press conference.

Hoosier Red
03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
It's my guess it comes down to the Dolphins or Cards. Washington may be out due to him not wanting to play against his brother twice a yr, and the Jets are a mess. Should be several teams parked in his driveway come this weekend. My guess is the Dolphins.

Where's this idea that he doesn't want to play Eli twice a year? I saw elsewhere that he wouldn't want to go to the NFC because he'd have to face Eli before the Super Bowl.

Knowing as much about Peyton as I think I do, I'd think he's absolutely thrilled for his brother and is ecstatic about Eli's success. He's also probably ready to show Eli who's still the big brother.

jmac
03-07-2012, 09:19 PM
As a Bronco fan, I would love to see Denver sign him. It would give Elway his type of QB and give Elway an "out" as far as saying Tebow could set under one of the greatest.
Course I doubt PM would want to play in the cold and snow so much of the time.

Tuff Nut
03-07-2012, 09:33 PM
If he can play, I'd like to see my Chiefs give him a test drive. Casell is kaka, and Pioli is too self obsorbed to make a move for RG3.

kaldaniels
03-08-2012, 02:13 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86631

I took more heat on this thread than I may ever have during my time on Redszone. I stated going into 2011, I'd take 7 or 8 other guys at QB rather than Manning. Alot of it was personal and questioned my intelligence. I never thought it was this bad, but the risk element had to be considered. The guy is 36 for crying out loud. I don't kid myself, I hit the sell button on Manning at the perfect time, but I never could understand on such a "logic-based" board why my opinion was poo-pooed so much.

11/30/2010 - by kaldaniels

"I am wondering if an injury or bothersome ailment that hasn't been disclosed is lurking around as well, FYI."

And some rebuttals to me on my opinion...

Lets just say I am glad you are not the GM of my favorite football team

It's obvious you are just a Manning hater

You sound like Colin Cowherd or Skip Bayless

saying things for attention, or you are just plum crazy. Which is it?

I mean that with no personal disrespect. I just doubt that person knows anything about this subject.

redsfanmia
03-08-2012, 08:56 AM
nm

bucksfan2
03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Not a big Manning fan. He was a great player I just really never cared for him going back to his days at UT. Finally both Manning Irsay handled the situation with class. It was a bad soap opera for the better half of two monts when both sides were going back and forth. I didn't really know a whole lot about Irsay before the whole Manning saga but I think as a fan I would really like him as my owner. He seems to connect with his fans better than most owners in all of professional sports.

As for Manning I almost hope he never plays another down of football again. He was fantastic in his prime, the way he dictated games a the line of scrimage. The way he took complete control of the offense. The way he revolutionized the no huddle offense will be hard to replicate. Now you have a guy who will be 36, coming off 3 neck surgeries, and who missed an entire season. I don't think Manning will be bad, just don't think he will be anywhere near where he wants to be.

I am pretty confident that Manning is set for his life. I am also pretty confident that if he were to retire he could make upwards of $1-2M doing TV, adds, public speaking, etc. Why risk a neck injury at 36 when you have accomplished everything for your resume.

Roy Tucker
03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I think that modern day and highly skilled college QBs like Cam Newton or Andy Dalton seem to be able to come into the NFL and immediately produce sealed Manning's fate with the Colts.

Do you use a rehabbing and iffy Manning to ease in Luck or do you just go with Luck? I think the Colts think that Luck can come in and immediately star.

I also think Manning ought to retire. The whole Colts offense was built around Peyton. It is finely tuned to his skills and he and his receivers worked long and hard to get it tuned. Even if he is totally healthy, I just don't think he can go to another team and immediately replicate what he did in Indy. It will take a year or two and I don't think he has that much gas in his tank. But he will play another year just to prove it to himself that he still can play and I agree that he'll be mediocre at best with a totally new offense and receivers.

Finally, I thought Manning handled yesterday with total class. That was an enormously difficult day and he had only good things to say about the team, the owners, the front office and the Indy fans. Peyton really is a good guy.

redsfanmia
03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Not a big Manning fan. He was a great player I just really never cared for him going back to his days at UT. Finally both Manning Irsay handled the situation with class. It was a bad soap opera for the better half of two monts when both sides were going back and forth. I didn't really know a whole lot about Irsay before the whole Manning saga but I think as a fan I would really like him as my owner. He seems to connect with his fans better than most owners in all of professional sports.

As for Manning I almost hope he never plays another down of football again. He was fantastic in his prime, the way he dictated games a the line of scrimage. The way he took complete control of the offense. The way he revolutionized the no huddle offense will be hard to replicate. Now you have a guy who will be 36, coming off 3 neck surgeries, and who missed an entire season. I don't think Manning will be bad, just don't think he will be anywhere near where he wants to be.

I am pretty confident that Manning is set for his life. I am also pretty confident that if he were to retire he could make upwards of $1-2M doing TV, adds, public speaking, etc. Why risk a neck injury at 36 when you have accomplished everything for your resume.

I think he has a chip on his shoulder and will probably be very motivated to be very good, I don't think he would play if he could not be good. I am a fan so this statement could just be wishful thinking.

Sea Ray
03-08-2012, 10:35 AM

I took more heat on this thread than I may ever have during my time on Redszone. I stated going into 2011, I'd take 7 or 8 other guys at QB rather than Manning. Alot of it was personal and questioned my intelligence. I never thought it was this bad, but the risk element had to be considered. The guy is 36 for crying out loud. I don't kid myself, I hit the sell button on Manning at the perfect time, but I never could understand on such a "logic-based" board why my opinion was poo-pooed so much.

"I am wondering if an injury or bothersome ailment that hasn't been disclosed is lurking around as well, FYI."

And some rebuttals to me on my opinion...

Lets just say I am glad you are not the GM of my favorite football team

It's obvious you are just a Manning hater

You sound like Colin Cowherd or Skip Bayless

saying things for attention, or you are just plum crazy. Which is it?

I mean that with no personal disrespect. I just doubt that person knows anything about this subject.

Par for the course on RZ but it's to early to say if your opinion has been vindicated or not. I can't wait to see how he fares this yr

izzy's dad
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I have to admit, I got a little choked up watching the press conference.

I was right there with you. I am not a Colts or Manning fan, but I found myself reflecting on his career. It will be so strange to see him in another jersey.

Mario-Rijo
03-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't think the guy is done, I think he has 2-3 good solid years left in him yet. If he were to go to a team like the Texans or maybe the 49ers he could potentially win another Super Bowl. But anywhere he goes should at least make the playoffs once or twice during his presence.

I have always thought the Phins make some sense but my darkhorse is Cleveland, just appears to me a better fit than many might think. They'd need to supplement the offense early in the draft and sign Reggie Wayne but I think it's doable. Plus their defense played pretty well last year.

FA:
Manning
Wayne

Draft:
1A - RB - Richardson
1B - RT - Adams
2nd - WR - Stephen Hill

RedsBaron
03-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I think that modern day and highly skilled college QBs like Cam Newton or Andy Dalton seem to be able to come into the NFL and immediately produce sealed Manning's fate with the Colts.

Do you use a rehabbing and iffy Manning to ease in Luck or do you just go with Luck? I think the Colts think that Luck can come in and immediately star.

I also think Manning ought to retire. The whole Colts offense was built around Peyton. It is finely tuned to his skills and he and his receivers worked long and hard to get it tuned. Even if he is totally healthy, I just don't think he can go to another team and immediately replicate what he did in Indy. It will take a year or two and I don't think he has that much gas in his tank. But he will play another year just to prove it to himself that he still can play and I agree that he'll be mediocre at best with a totally new offense and receivers.

Finally, I thought Manning handled yesterday with total class. That was an enormously difficult day and he had only good things to say about the team, the owners, the front office and the Indy fans. Peyton really is a good guy.

I wish Manning well but I will be surprised if he does that well wherever he winds up. 36 is old for almost any QB, especially one with health issues trying to re-start his career with another team.

Chip R
03-08-2012, 05:43 PM
He doesn't appear that he's going to drag this out.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7659947/peyton-manning-aims-pick-team-week-sources-say

jmac
03-08-2012, 11:56 PM
As a Bronco fan, I would love to see Denver sign him. It would give Elway his type of QB and give Elway an "out" as far as saying Tebow could set under one of the greatest.Course I doubt PM would want to play in the cold and snow so much of the time.
Here is an article stating the same thing as my thinking. Not saying it will happen but fun to think about.
Let me say I like and respect Tebow. However it's not Kyle Orton etc we are talking about as far as bringing in and starting, but one of the best QB's ever.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/broncos-interested-peyton-manning-makes-perfect-sense-165445194.html;_ylt=AmegEyj8grDAUFDSrsMwofZDubYF

Dom Heffner
03-09-2012, 12:30 AM

"I am wondering if an injury or bothersome ailment that hasn't been disclosed is lurking around as well, FYI.

I stopped reading after you said Matt Cassell was better than Manning.

Nostradamus is safe.

redsfanmia
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
I stopped reading after you said Matt Cassell was better than Manning.

Nostradamus is safe.

Thank you for making me laugh out loud this morn. I was one in the arguement with him and think that he is just a Manning hater.

Slyder
03-09-2012, 11:56 AM

You can't pass on Andrew Luck if you are Indy. Manning has been the franchise since he was drafted, Luck is believed to be the best college qb to come out since Manning. It's not fair to Manning for all he's done to ask him to come back and be a glorified coach and serve as a distraction by fans should Luck have a Manning type rookie season. If there was no other interest in Peyton I could see him coming back and accepting that role but Peyton even at 75% is still better than 85% of the quarterbacks in the NFL.

Already its been reported that he's visited Miami and Arizona. Other reports have the Jets, Seattle, among others contacting his agent.

HotCorner
03-09-2012, 11:58 AM
This is awesome. :D

http://daveartlocker.blogspot.com/2012/02/manning-face.html

Stray
03-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Live chopper footage following an SUV carrying Peyton Manning around Denver is a bit much.

jmac
03-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Listened to ESPN radio this morning and they said there was a poll taken in Denver on go get Manning or stick with Tebow and Manning was ahead with around 66% of the vote.

Ohayou
03-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Jets extend Mark Sanchez. Now everyone can shut up about them.

Razor Shines
03-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Really good chance Peyton said thanks but no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redhawkfish
03-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Live chopper footage following an SUV carrying Peyton Manning around Denver is a bit much.

No doubt! Very creepy!

Dom Heffner
03-10-2012, 11:14 PM

God that franchise is weird. Have they ever had a decent offense? They are just weird, year after year.

Ohayou
03-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Looks like it's down between Denver and Arizona now. Seattle couldn't even get an interview with him. :laugh:

kaldaniels
03-11-2012, 06:35 PM
I haven't paid too much attention to the details the last few days, but from what I've seen, my gut says he's going to Denver.

jmac
03-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Though I figure the weather would be a bigtime sticking point in the process, I have thought if anyone could sell the mile high city to Peyton , it would be Elway.
I felt with Eli in same conference, it would come down to Denver and Miami.
Probably know in the next several days.

The Operator
03-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Jets extend Mark Sanchez. Now everyone can shut up about them.Now there is how you build a winner. Give a mediocre quarterback who already has two remaining years on his deal a 3-year extension for big money.

The Jets and Sanchez remind me a lot of how The Reds handled Edinson Volquez. They traded Josh Hamilton to get him so by god, he was going to be an ace caliber pitcher come hell or high water - game 1 in the playoffs, opening day the next year.

It's as if The Jets have just decided "Well, we spent a 1st-round pick on him so he's gotta be top tier, right?" To have spent three years in the NFL and not yet had a season QB rating of 80 is pathetic in my book. Especially for a first round draft pick who gets as much hype as he does.

redsfanmia
03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
I hope he goes to the Broncos, it eliminates Tebowmania and I always like the Dan Reeves/Elway Broncos of the late 80's.

Dom Heffner
03-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I have an old Denver throwback hoodie...couldn't wear it with Tebow...not down here anyway...

jmac
03-12-2012, 01:16 AM
I have an old Denver throwback hoodie...couldn't wear it with Tebow...not down here anyway...
I used to have Craig Morton jersey years ago. Dont have it now and it for sure wouldnt fit if I did. :lol:

blumj
03-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Now there is how you build a winner. Give a mediocre quarterback who already has two remaining years on his deal a 3-year extension for big money.

The Jets and Sanchez remind me a lot of how The Reds handled Edinson Volquez. They traded Josh Hamilton to get him so by god, he was going to be an ace caliber pitcher come hell or high water - game 1 in the playoffs, opening day the next year.

It's as if The Jets have just decided "Well, we spent a 1st-round pick on him so he's gotta be top tier, right?" To have spent three years in the NFL and not yet had a season QB rating of 80 is pathetic in my book. Especially for a first round draft pick who gets as much hype as he does.
Tying themselves to Sanchez longer buys them a little cap space now.

Ohayou
03-12-2012, 02:18 AM
Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports that the Broncos are now "95 percent sure" they will sign free agent Peyton Manning after he reached out to the team late Sunday night.

RiverRat13
03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
If the Broncos trade Tebow to Jacksonville then everyone wins.

JaxRed
03-12-2012, 10:49 AM
As a Jax guy, let me say "4th round or below" please....

RiverRat13
03-12-2012, 12:02 PM
As a Jax guy, let me say "4th round or below" please....

:) I'm guessing the Broncos don't have a whole lot of leverage.

Chip R
03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
:) I'm guessing the Broncos don't have a whole lot of leverage.

Yeah but Jacksonville wants him bad. If DEN can find another team that could serve as a stalking horse, they could leverage the Jags for a little more.

Sea Ray
03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
So much for promises that Tebow would go into training camp as the starter...

Tebowmania isn’t going to end anytime soon. Broncos executive John Elway confirmed the obvious on Monday, saying that Tim Tebow has “earned” the right to be the starting quarterback heading into training camp next year.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/16/elway-tebow-has-earned-the-right-to-be-starter-in-training-camp/

Things change in business. No one's guaranteed anything. It was pointless for the Press to try to nail down Elway on Tebow's future

Sea Ray
03-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah but Jacksonville wants him bad. If DEN can find another team that could serve as a stalking horse, they could leverage the Jags for a little more.

I don't know. They invested a #1 pick in Gabbert. I don't know if they're ready to pull the plug on that and bringing Tebowmania to town is doing exactly that

The Operator
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Tying themselves to Sanchez longer buys them a little cap space now.That's about the only positive I can imagine in that deal for them. Not that I care since I hate Rex Ryan and The Jets, but it's still a head scratcher.

jmac
03-12-2012, 06:43 PM
As a Bronco fan I would like to see it but ESPN was reporting he will meet with Dolphins and maybe Titans so I'm not as hopeful as before.

dabvu2498
03-13-2012, 12:45 AM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120312/SPORTS01/120312008/Titans-coach-meet-Peyton-Manning

He's going to meet with the Titans also.

Chip R
03-13-2012, 01:01 AM
I don't know. They invested a #1 pick in Gabbert. I don't know if they're ready to pull the plug on that and bringing Tebowmania to town is doing exactly that

It depends on how much the owner wants him. Last I heard the Jags are having problems drawing people to their games. Don't you think if they got Tebow that they would sell out every game? They more than likely will have more games on national TV.

Slyder
03-13-2012, 02:23 AM
It depends on how much the owner wants him. Last I heard the Jags are having problems drawing people to their games. Don't you think if they got Tebow that they would sell out every game? They more than likely will have more games on national TV.

Is the purpose to try and sale out or win? I don't think you can win in the NFL with Tebow, no amount of goodwill is going to keep Jacksonville coming if its to see an 8-8 team every year. Tebow and the Donks got lucky with the schedule. It seemed like EVERY team they played had lost a key player the week before, was in Summer football mode because the new qb was still learnning the system, or the team just freaking sucked. I think most of the FO in Denver knows that and trying desperately to land Manning to stop the revolt when they get rid of Tebow.

bucksfan2
03-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Is the purpose to try and sale out or win? I don't think you can win in the NFL with Tebow, no amount of goodwill is going to keep Jacksonville coming if its to see an 8-8 team every year. Tebow and the Donks got lucky with the schedule. It seemed like EVERY team they played had lost a key player the week before, was in Summer football mode because the new qb was still learnning the system, or the team just freaking sucked. I think most of the FO in Denver knows that and trying desperately to land Manning to stop the revolt when they get rid of Tebow.

Tebow would give them a season or two of sellouts. As long as there is hope, and 8-8 Tebow season will keep fans coming to see the Jags play. It buys them time and allows them to develop a better team. If any place fits for Tebow, its Jacksonville.

Razor Shines
03-13-2012, 05:10 PM
I'd say the Dolphins are probably out since they just traded Brandon Marshall to Chicago. Maybe they're going to sign Vincent Jackson though.

blumj
03-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Or, maybe they're still in, and Manning doesn't like Marshall and they needed to clear some cap space?

Slyder
03-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Or, maybe they're still in, and Manning doesn't like Marshall and they needed to clear some cap space?

Trade Marshall, sign Wayne and Manning?

blumj
03-13-2012, 11:01 PM
And the Colts re-sign Wayne. Can't decide between :confused: and :shocked:.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/179745303354814465

Razor Shines
03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
And the Colts re-sign Wayne. Can't decide between :confused: and :shocked:.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/179745303354814465

i dont really understand this move. i wouldnt think wayne would want to come back. probably will help luck's development a little.

improbus
03-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Do you think John Elway gave Peyton a really strong pat on the back to see how he would react to some neck trauma? Or, do you think when they are having dinner, that Elway has to tell himself not to stare at Peyton's neck, like a man trying not to stare awkwardly at a woman during conversation.
"John, keep your eyes up here" -Peyton
"Sorry, I just can't help myself" -Elway

jmac
03-14-2012, 09:05 PM
I am feeling more and more like the Titans may do it.

bucksfan2
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM

Its a very interesting debate the Titans are having. There is no doubt that Manning would be a big upgrade in the near future. But with Locker as their QB of the future, how high are they on him, and what is his timetable? For as good as Manning has been over the course of his career, no one really knows the full extent of his condition and he isn't going to let teams put him through a workout. I think Tennessee makes the least amount of sense had he not gone to UT.

If I were Manning I would narrow it down to Denver and Arizona and really not budge off of that. I know Miami is in the running but I don't see it. Playing the Pats twice and the Jets defense twcie. I think Denver plays in a weaker conference but plays in cold weather as the season goes along. Arizona is a retirement haven with 2 potentially tough division games a year against San Francisco.

HotCorner
03-15-2012, 11:43 AM

So do I. Same division so he's very familiar with the other teams (Texans, Jaguars and Colts). They've got some weapons on offense with Chris Johnson and Kenny Britt to go along with some nice young players like Damian Williams and Jared Cook.

Plus the Titans wear white helmets - the only color helmet Peyton has ever worn! :D

Stray
03-19-2012, 01:00 PM
He's asked his agent to begin contract negotiations with the Denver Broncos.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2012, 01:40 PM
"Hi....um, Alex...? This is Jim....Oh, nothing much. Say...um, that whole Peyton thing... I hope you aren't holding that against... hello? Hello?"

RedsBaron
03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
I am somewhat surprised Manning has reportedly opted for Denver. The 49ers definitely have the best supporting cast for Manning and are the most likely team to reach a Super Bowl in the next couple of years among those teams who have pursued Peyton. I'm not sure the Broncos have as much talent as the Titans.

TeamSelig
03-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Their offensive line isn't the greatest and their receiving corps isn't exactly outstanding. They could use a #1 receiver and a good pass catching TE.

Razor Shines
03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Their offensive line isn't the greatest and their receiving corps isn't exactly outstanding.

Reportedly Manning disagrees with you on those two things. There are several analysts who have said that O line is actually a strength for Denver but Tebow made them look bad because he got sacked a lot.

Sea Ray
03-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Reportedly Manning disagrees with you on those two things. There are several analysts who have said that O line is actually a strength for Denver but Tebow made them look bad because he got sacked a lot.

I don't know. There are reports that Peyton will push for at least one change to their O-line: possibly sign Jeff Saturday at C

wolfboy
03-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I am somewhat surprised Manning has reportedly opted for Denver. The 49ers definitely have the best supporting cast for Manning and are the most likely team to reach a Super Bowl in the next couple of years among those teams who have pursued Peyton. I'm not sure the Broncos have as much talent as the Titans.

As I understand it, Manning has an uncanny ability to make bad teams look good. I submit for your consideration Exhibit A: the 2011-2012 Indianapolis Colts. :D

IslandRed
03-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Free agency is still ongoing and the draft is next month. Don't assume what the Broncos have today is what they'll have when the season starts.

Also, the Broncos were probably the most willing to give Peyton the kind of control he had with the Colts. Over the years he'd become the de facto OC and on-demand playcaller for Indy; everything about the offense was either his idea or tailored to his liking. The Broncos were going to have to start over anyway when or if they abandoned the Tebow experiment, so why not?

improbus
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Is it possible that Peyton went to the team with the most money to pay him? It's weird that hasn't been discussed. We all assume that he is signing for purely football reasons, but if that were the case, wouldn't the team that needed just two or three 3rd down conversions to make the super bowl (San Francisco) make more sense?

Ohayou
03-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I assume he just wanted to stay in the AFC. Honestly, his chances are better there.

JaxRed
03-19-2012, 09:13 PM
I think Titans were probably offering the most money. I bet Denver has a better record than SF next year.

jmac
03-19-2012, 09:16 PM
As a Bronco fan, I am totally excited. I respected Tebow and was happy for the excitement he added last season. However I also realized without a very good defense , Tebow Time would not have been anyway, as the defense allowed them to make the 4th qtr comebacks plus things like the bears guy running out of bounds etc.
I aways felt Elway wasnt sold on Tim and a chance to get PM was the "out" he needed.
With the exception of the win vs Pitt, anytime the Broncs faced a high powered offense, you knew there wasnt much of a chance. (actually I didnt feel they had a chance then)
For example, when playing NE, I didnt feel there was much of a realistic chance. With PM, I feel with the broncos defense of Miller-Dumerville and co are an instant contender for one of the top AFC teams.
Great job John for making it happen ! Without him, I doubt it would have.

I will add, once Tenn entered the picture, I thought they were the frontrunner.

improbus
03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
I think Titans were probably offering the most money. I bet Denver has a better record than SF next year.

The only team with more Cap Space than the Broncos this offseason? The Bengals.

Sea Ray
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
As a Bronco fan, I am totally excited. I respected Tebow and was happy for the excitement he added last season. However I also realized without a very good defense , Tebow Time would not have been anyway, as the defense allowed them to make the 4th qtr comebacks plus things like the bears guy running out of bounds etc.
I aways felt Elway wasnt sold on Tim and a chance to get PM was the "out" he needed.
With the exception of the win vs Pitt, anytime the Broncs faced a high powered offense, you knew there wasnt much of a chance. (actually I didnt feel they had a chance then)
For example, when playing NE, I didnt feel there was much of a realistic chance. With PM, I feel with the broncos defense of Miller-Dumerville and co are an instant contender for one of the top AFC teams.
Great job John for making it happen ! Without him, I doubt it would have.

I will add, once Tenn entered the picture, I thought they were the frontrunner.

What's really amazing when you think of it is how far the Broncos have come in less than one yr. Before Tebow took over, the Broncos were a bottom feeder in the NFL and looking at a top 5 or 10 draft pick. Now they're considered Super Bowl contenders and about the only thing that's changed is the QB. :shocked:

Ohayou
03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
The only team with more Cap Space than the Broncos this offseason? The Bengals.

Didn't the Bucs have the most cap space?

JaxRed
03-19-2012, 09:43 PM
It wasn't about cap space for this year. Most money was a "long term" deal. They were talking "Life time contract".

Ohayou
03-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Slightly OT: Dolphins sign David Garrard

George Anderson
03-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Is it possible that Peyton went to the team with the most money to pay him? It's weird that hasn't been discussed. We all assume that he is signing for purely football reasons, but if that were the case, wouldn't the team that needed just two or three 3rd down conversions to make the super bowl (San Francisco) make more sense?

Manning was going to the team that gives him the best chance at winning another SB. It is debatable if Denver is that team but money played little part in where he went. He already is rich beyond belief, he badly desires to add another SB to his legacy.

jmac
03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Manning was going to the team that gives him the best chance at winning another SB. It is debatable if Denver is that team but money played little part in where he went. He already is rich beyond belief, he badly desires to add another SB to his legacy.
As some on ESPN were discussing today, PM's chances are probably better getting to the SB in the AFC than NFC.
The NFC will feature NYG-GB-Chicago (Cutler back) and SF. Throw in teams like NO,Detroit and Dallas and maybe an improved Philly team and you can see where his path will probably be much better in the AFC, not saying it is a pushover though.

Assembly Hall
03-19-2012, 11:44 PM
As some on ESPN were discussing today, PM's chances are probably better getting to the SB in the AFC than NFC.
The NFC will feature NYG-GB-Chicago (Cutler back) and SF. Throw in teams like NO,Detroit and Dallas and maybe an improved Philly team and you can see where his path will probably be much better in the AFC, not saying it is a pushover though.

Definitely an easier path in the AFC.

Caveat Emperor
03-20-2012, 02:15 AM
Didn't the Bucs have the most cap space?

Yes

Sea Ray
03-20-2012, 10:04 AM

I agree. I can't imagine that anyone would believe Peyton would merely go where he'll get the most money.

blumj
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
I think SF's defense would have been a huge help, but Denver still gives him a pretty good chance and Elway and Fox in charge there probably just makes it a better fit. I can't imagine that any team seriously interested wouldn't have been offering comparable money.

RedFanAlways1966
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Being reported as 5-yr/$96-million. After being denied the $23 million from Indy this year... Latrell Spreewell hopes Peyton can feed his kids.

kaldaniels
03-21-2012, 01:12 AM
I've said some things about Peyton that have been somewhat unpopular in these parts. But I wish him the best. However, I have to think you can count on one hand the number of quarterbacks who have truly been elite at the age of 36+. That said, who do you suppose the last such QB was, and where did he play? As a football fan, I can't wait to see this play out.

bucksfan2
03-21-2012, 09:32 AM
I think this is a massive gamble for the Broncos. Its something that I think makes sense, but there have been too many people during the Manning sweepstakes who just assume that he will regain his form from a number of years ago. The two guys in recent memory who have had success into their late 30's were Elway and Favre, both of who I would consider better all around athletes than Manning. I am very interested to see how the Peyton experiment goes.

I think that this upcoming season and next season are his best shots. After that I think its a crap shoot as to whether or not he can play at a top tier level.

RedFanAlways1966
03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Ibut there have been too many people during the Manning sweepstakes who just assume that he will regain his form from a number of years ago.

How many years ago was good enough to lead a good team far into the playoffs? He seemed well above-average just two years ago IMO. You say "a number of years ago"... just need clarification on when it is that Manning became just a normal QB.

bucksfan2
03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
How many years ago was good enough to lead a good team far into the playoffs? He seemed well above-average just two years ago IMO. You say "a number of years ago"... just need clarification on when it is that Manning became just a normal QB.

Peyton's passer rating for his 2010 season was the lowest since his 2002 season. I don't know if it was age, a flawed stat, a mixture of both, or a bad season that led to that. Prior to the Manning injury there was some concern that the Colts were heading in the wrong direction and most pundits had predicted them to finish 2nd behind the Texans last year.

I don't know what Manning to expect and no one really does. I don't know if were going to see the great Manning ever again. I don't know how he will come back after after a year off and 3 pretty major neck surgeries. I found it mildly annoying when anyone would suggest there is a lot of risk with Manning that the replies were always, its Peyton he is great. You heard all summer, if Peyton Manning is available you have to go get him. Really? Of the teams involved all had massive QB issues. You didn't see any teams with a firm QB situation even attempt to acquirer Peyton.

wolfboy
03-21-2012, 03:06 PM
However, I have to think you can count on one hand the number of quarterbacks who have truly been elite at the age of 36+.

I don't even know if "elite" is an apt description. A quick search turned up the following quarterbacks that had good years at over 36: Steve Young, John Elway, Warren Moon, Brett Favre, Rich Gannon, Kurt Warner. I'm sure there are a few others, but there can't be many.

jmac
03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
It isnt like Manning's last good year was 2007. Also people talk of QB'S like Elway (who was my favorite growing up) and Favre etc. Many of these guys are or were known for things such as arm strength or feet etc which would fade with age.
PM isnt known for either. His passes in fact rarely look very pretty as far as a tight spiral. What he does have is accuracy and an incredible intelligence of running the offense.
I think and hope he will be able to continue these things in the Mile High City.

Tuff Nut
03-21-2012, 07:49 PM
IMO. Peyton's daze are numbered. The Donkeys have NO OLine, and Tebow ran for his life behind them. Yeah, TT made yards, but Peyton ain't gonna run NOWHERE. I hope KC has them first game, and Hali officially introduces himself to Peyton. He and horseface make the perfect pair.

Razor Shines
03-21-2012, 08:37 PM
IMO. Peyton's daze are numbered. The Donkeys have NO OLine, and Tebow ran for his life behind them. Yeah, TT made yards, but Peyton ain't gonna run NOWHERE. I hope KC has them first game, and Hali officially introduces himself to Peyton. He and horseface make the perfect pair.

Well Peyton is an idiot. Damn, how in the world did he overlook all that stuff?

George Anderson
03-21-2012, 08:45 PM

I think he liked the orange uniforms the Broncos wear.

Tuff Nut
03-22-2012, 07:53 PM

I'll eat crow if you own up to it after he doesn't make it 3 weeks. ESSA :devil:

Ohayou
03-22-2012, 09:07 PM
James H. "Jim" Driver, 78, of Eagle, Colo., formerly of Columbia, passed away Monday, March 19, 2012, at South Hampton Place in Columbia after a brief illness. An avid Broncos fan, he abhorred Manning and evidently wanted out before a deal was done.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/man-obituary-says-wanted-die-broncos-acquired-peyton-230608456.html

Razor Shines
03-22-2012, 09:17 PM
I'll eat crow if you own up to it after he doesn't make it 3 weeks. ESSA :devil:

Well why are you saying he won't make it 3 weeks? Injury or ineffectiveness?

IslandRed
03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
For what it's worth, when people besides Manning were playing behind the Colts' line this past season and Kyle Orton, bless his mediocrity, was playing behind the Broncos' line, Indy and Denver gave up sacks at roughly the same rate -- a rate that is roughly twice as much as Manning was accustomed to being sacked, and half as much as Tebow was sacked. The quarterback has a lot to do with it. An old pro that knows how to set the right protections, doesn't get caught unaware by blitzes, knows pre-snap who's likely to be open and gets the ball out of his hand on time isn't going to take as many hits. A quarterback who prefers to pull the ball down and scramble if his primary receiver isn't open will take plenty. Of course, Tebow made a lot of plays happen while running around. It's just part of the deal.

Having said that, Denver's line had issues, Tebow or no Tebow. But there's free agency and a draft between now and the season, I'm assuming they'll try to do something about it.

jmac
03-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Just seen this :

Jacob Tamme just joined his buddy Wesley Woodyard when he signed a three-year deal with the Broncos today. Tamme said he’s “looking forward to getting to work” in Denver.

Maybe not big big news but as a UK fan as well, glad to see JT joining Wesley Woodyard. I would say he will get some quality minutes at TE as well ! :)

Tuff Nut
03-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Well why are you saying he won't make it 3 weeks? Injury or ineffectiveness?

Evidently you didn't watch the Donkey's play last year. They have no OL, and Tebow was running for his life. I don't see PM doing any running.

redsfanmia
03-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Evidently you didn't watch the Donkey's play last year. They have no OL, and Tebow was running for his life. I don't see PM doing any running.

Did you watch any Colt's games when Peyton was there? The Colt's O-Line has been a disaster since 2006 and wasn't very good before that, Peyton gets rid of the ball quickly.

blumj
03-23-2012, 10:00 PM
And Tebow takes forever to release it. Maybe Denver's OL does stink, I have no idea, but no line holds long enough to keep him from running for his life.

Scrap Irony
03-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Jacob Tamme just joined his buddy Wesley Woodyard when he signed a three-year deal with the Broncos today. Tamme said he’s “looking forward to getting to work” in Denver.[/I]

Fearless prediction: Jacob Tamme will pull a Dallas Clark in Denver and catch 70+ balls with 8 or more TDs next season.

(This assumes Manning runs an offense similar to the one he left in Indianapolis.

indyscott
10-10-2013, 10:09 AM

crow?

OldRightHander
10-10-2013, 11:03 AM
http://erikanapoletano.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/iStock_000014734522XSmall-300x199.jpg

bucksfan2
10-10-2013, 11:49 AM
I will admit I was wrong about Peyton. The one thing that worries me about Peyton is wear and tear of a season coupled by playing in the cold weather. I don't think they are going to lose any time soon.

Razor Shines
10-10-2013, 02:54 PM

Lol. Forgot about this thread.

Razor Shines
10-10-2013, 02:55 PM
I will admit I was wrong about Peyton. The one thing that worries me about Peyton is wear and tear of a season coupled by playing in the cold weather. I don't think they are going to lose any time soon.

Nobody. Not even Archie thought he would do what he's currently doing, so really everyone was wrong.

Hoosier Red
10-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Were Peyton Manning a baseball player, Rick Reilly would be offended that he didn't agree to pee in a cup.

Sea Ray
10-14-2013, 11:20 AM

Where's that crow?

RiverRat13
10-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Jim Irsay is an idiot:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9832784/tony-dungy-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-jim-making-personal

redsfanmia
10-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Jim Irsay is an idiot:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9832784/tony-dungy-jim-irsay-comments-peyton-manning-jim-making-personal

I think the media is wrong about who the quote was about, to me it's more of a shot at "nap"Polian instead of Manning. Dungy kinda hinted to Manning doesnt perform well in big games in that article, is he taking a shot at the great one too?

bucksfan2
10-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Jim Irsay is an idiot:

You would be lying if you said that both Manning and Polian didn't underachieve with the Colts. You had one of the greatest QB's of all time win 1 Super Bowl. Its obvious that guys like Dungy and Polian are going to take offense, but the criticism is accurate.

RedFanAlways1966
10-16-2013, 05:28 PM
You would be lying if you said that both Manning and Polian didn't underachieve with the Colts. You had one of the greatest QB's of all time win 1 Super Bowl. Its obvious that guys like Dungy and Polian are going to take offense, but the criticism is accurate.

QB with one Super Bowl win? I thought there were 11 players on the field for each side for each play. Ask Michael Jordan about the "one guy cannot win a championship" when he was 20% of the total before the Bulls got a few more studs (vs 9% for one football player). Perhaps Dan Marino would be a good one to ask relative to the same sport.

Same crap bugs me when people say so-and-so should not make the Hall of Fame b/c HE never won a championship. '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '03 Buccaneers, '13 Ravens. I'd argue these TEAMS won it all with less than stellar QBs.

bucksfan2
10-17-2013, 05:07 PM
QB with one Super Bowl win? I thought there were 11 players on the field for each side for each play. Ask Michael Jordan about the "one guy cannot win a championship" when he was 20% of the total before the Bulls got a few more studs (vs 9% for one football player). Perhaps Dan Marino would be a good one to ask relative to the same sport.

Same crap bugs me when people say so-and-so should not make the Hall of Fame b/c HE never won a championship. '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '03 Buccaneers, '13 Ravens. I'd argue these TEAMS won it all with less than stellar QBs.

If you are going to compare Peyton Manning to the QB's who have one Super Bowl the list is long and pretty ordinary. If you want to compare the Peyton to his peer's then you are going to compare him to the greats of the game.

All I said is I think Irsay has a point. It wasn't all Peyton's fault, it was the fault of the entire Colts team, but the QB gets the glory and he also gets the blame. When you compare Peyton's regular record to his playoff record it is pretty shocking. Even Dungy admitted that Peyton gets tense in playoff situations. I think Irsay's comments were accurate and those those who were offended by them need to take a closer look at this playoff performance.

RiverRat13
10-17-2013, 11:14 PM
If you are going to compare Peyton Manning to the QB's who have one Super Bowl the list is long and pretty ordinary. If you want to compare the Peyton to his peer's then you are going to compare him to the greats of the game.

All I said is I think Irsay has a point. It wasn't all Peyton's fault, it was the fault of the entire Colts team, but the QB gets the glory and he also gets the blame. When you compare Peyton's regular record to his playoff record it is pretty shocking. Even Dungy admitted that Peyton gets tense in playoff situations. I think Irsay's comments were accurate and those those who were offended by them need to take a closer look at this playoff performance.

Even if they are accurate, it seems pretty dumb to say them right before he makes his return. It is a low class move while also creating a distraction his team doesn't need.

George Anderson
10-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Jim irsay is turning into the idiot his dad was.

Chip R
10-18-2013, 11:03 AM

I think you have good points. Of course it's not just one guy who is responsible for the success or to blame for the failure. I think Irsay is probably getting a little tired of hearing Peyton, Peyton, Peyton all week long. I think he's also of the mind that he should deserve some of the credit for the Colts success during the Peyton era and their success in the last two years. It's understandable. After all his dad brought the team into town. He's (Jim Irsay) paid the salaries, hired the right coaches, hired the right personnel who drafted and signed the right players and kept the team together. He probably wants a little appreciation. Being an owner is kind of a thankless task. When the team wins, the credit goes to the players, coaches, front office and ownership in that order. Sure, the owner gets the Lombardi Trophy from the Commissioner but after that nobody gives a crap about the owner.

RedFanAlways1966
10-18-2013, 12:52 PM
He probably wants a little appreciation. Being an owner is kind of a thankless task. When the team wins, the credit goes to the players, coaches, front office and ownership in that order. Sure, the owner gets the Lombardi Trophy from the Commissioner but after that nobody gives a crap about the owner.

And then there are owners who love the attention and the limelight (twitter?) despite never gaining a yard or making a tackle. Daddy's boy fits that criteria very well.

Might make the NFL top 2 list right behind Jerry Jones. :)

redsfanmia
10-18-2013, 03:28 PM
And then there are owners who love the attention and the limelight (twitter?) despite never gaining a yard or making a tackle. Daddy's boy fits that criteria very well.

Did he inherit the team? Yes but he also worked in the organization from ball boy to general manager. Irsay is a good owner who turned a terrible franchise into a great one, think the reverse of the Browns in Cincinnati. The only thing Irsay is guilty of here is saying something that got twisted and blown out of proportion.

redsfanmia
10-18-2013, 04:11 PM

Irsay is honestly one of the better owners in football, if he loved attention and the limelight wouldn't he have moved the Colts to L.A. when given the chance? Not much limelight shined on him in Indy.

indyscott
10-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Even if they are accurate, it seems pretty dumb to say them right before he makes his return. It is a low class move while also creating a distraction his team doesn't need. The interview was done in July, not the week before. The media is way out of line on this and amazing it cannot be called out. But that doesnt make for good tv

George Anderson
10-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Irsay is honestly one of the better owners in football, if he loved attention and the limelight wouldn't he have moved the Colts to L.A. when given the chance? Not much limelight shined on him in Indy.

My gripe with Irsay has always been personal. Yes for the most part he is a good owner, I just dislike him and wish he would stop trying to bring attention to himself.

Then again we could have Mike Brown so I'd say it could be worse. ;)

RiverRat13
10-18-2013, 08:12 PM
The interview was done in July, not the week before. The media is way out of line on this and amazing it cannot be called out. But that doesnt make for good tv

Do you have a link for that? The only article I found referencing Irsay's comments in July stated that his USA Today interview "echoed" what he said in July, implying that he said them twice.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24088391/broncos-john-fox-fires-back-at-jim-irsay-over-peyton-manning-comments

gilpdawg
10-18-2013, 08:19 PM
I don't have a problem with what Irsay said. It wasn't really a dig at Manning as much as it was a dig at Polian. If Polian hadn't blown, like, 5 straight drafts in a row then the team wouldn't have been in the toilet when Manning was hurt. You can't be a one man team in football, and the last couple of years Manning was in Indy the team was horrible. They won almost exclusively on his back. That doesn't work.

redsfanmia
10-18-2013, 08:30 PM

I don't have a problem with what Irsay said. It wasn't really a dig at Manning as much as it was a dig at Polian. If Polian hadn't blown, like, 5 straight drafts in a row then the team wouldn't have been in the toilet when Manning was hurt. You can't be a one man team in football, and the last couple of years Manning was in Indy the team was horrible. They won almost exclusively on his back. That doesn't work.

We saw the true talent level of that team when Peyton was hurt. Bill's mistake was letting Jr take control of the draft, Bill assembled a good team around Peyton early but the talent level eroded when Chris started drafting.

RedFanAlways1966
10-18-2013, 11:41 PM
My gripe with Irsay has always been personal. Yes for the most part he is a good owner, I just dislike him and wish he would stop trying to bring attention to himself.

Then again we could have Mike Brown so I'd say it could be worse. ;)

This is my point. Not an attack on his work in the operation to have a winning franchise for many years or his work ethic. I might be called old-fashioned by some, but I like/appreciate an owner who does not draw attention to himself/herself. Even Mike Brown stays out of the limelight. I'd guess other owners roll their eyes when Irsay or Jerry Jones do "their thing". Owners like this seem to have "big mouth disease". We have all known someone who always dominates a conversation and likes to voice their opinions... sometimes controversial. Another (old-fashioned?) unwritten rule kind of a thing for owners... speak only with your money and your choice of employees.

Sea Ray
10-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Jim irsay is turning into the idiot his dad was.

He shouldn't have have harped on the lack of Super Bowl wins but he should have stated that they ended up with a wonderful young QB and that they're getting along fine. Yesterday's win proved that more than anyone could have expressed in words. Irsay was vindicated but his team on the field

Razor Shines
10-21-2013, 02:22 PM
He shouldn't have have harped on the lack of Super Bowl wins but he should have stated that they ended up with a wonderful young QB and that they're getting along fine. Yesterday's win proved that more than anyone could have expressed in words. Irsay was vindicated but his team on the field

Vindicated for what? Colts fans don't think he should kept Peyton and not drafted Luck. No vindication was necessary for that decision.

Last night's win did not vindicate him for being a jackass.

Revering4Blue
10-21-2013, 03:20 PM
C'mon, folks!

Irsay's comments were nothing more than a well-deserved (IMO) shot at Bill Polian and, in so many words, state that, if anything, the franchise failed Manning , not the other way around. Having said that, Irsay could -- and should have -- more plain-fully stated that Manning, Harrison, Saturday and company did everything they could and are the last to deserve blame for "only" one Super Bowl win -- as if it is some relatively easy task in a one game winner-take- all scenario.

Chip R
10-21-2013, 05:11 PM
You stay classy, Jim Irsay.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/colts-owner-jim-irsay-slams-critics-twitter-while-140951870--nfl.html

George Anderson
10-21-2013, 06:01 PM
I am making a prediction and I hope it is not true but I don't think Irsay has been sticking to his 12 step program. Between his recent actions and pictures of him that just make him look tanked, I think Irsay may need help.

Chip R
10-22-2013, 12:27 AM
I am making a prediction and I hope it is not true but I don't think Irsay has been sticking to his 12 step program. Between his recent actions and pictures of him that just make him look tanked, I think Irsay may need help.

"So if I get stoned I'm just carryin'
On an old family tradition"

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Being a Colts fan, I'm never surprised with Manning. But his win today was what makes him one of the greats. He makes some bad decisions and the Broncos go down 31-7 and they come back and win by double digits. Peyton has never been one to get rattled or worry about being down.

George Anderson
10-28-2013, 05:07 PM
. Peyton has never been one to get rattled or worry about being down.

I love Manning but this only holds true for the regular season.

redsfanmia
10-28-2013, 09:17 PM

See afc championship game v Pats in 2006

Dom Heffner
10-28-2013, 09:29 PM
John Elway was a choke artist until Terrelle Davis showed up then he was clutch.

redsfanmia
10-28-2013, 09:31 PM
John Elway was a choke artist until Terrelle Davis showed up then he was clutch.

Not so sure about that, did he choke in all those afc championship games? He had plenty of big wins.

fearofpopvol1
10-28-2013, 10:05 PM

Disagree. He may not be as successful in the postseason, but the dude doesn't get rattled.

Sea Ray
10-29-2013, 09:24 AM

Really? You must not be a Cleveland fan. They know that Elway was not a choke artist. They'd give anything if he was

George Anderson
10-29-2013, 12:55 PM
See afc championship game v Pats in 2006

Good point.

I was there btw. Paid alot of money for those tickets and it was worth every cent.

Baseball and the Reds will always be first in my heart but that was the greatest sporting event I ever attended.

wolfboy
10-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Really? You must not be a Cleveland fan. They know that Elway was not a choke artist. They'd give anything if he was

There's no denying "the drive," but Elway was 2-3 in Super Bowl games and only completed half his passes for three touchdowns against eight interceptions.