PDA

View Full Version : DH Scenario

corkedbat
03-09-2012, 01:04 AM
I was thinking about the DH the other day and was wondering what would happen in the following scenario:

It the 8th and the opposition has just blown the gme wide-open. Both teams are using a DH. The bullpen has been through a brutal stretch of games and the manager decides he doesn't want to waste another relief pitch behind 10 runs.

He goes to the mound and brings on the left fielder (who is due up 1st in the 9th inning) to finish the game and replaces him in LF with a reserve OFer. The question is, how will the batting order look? My guess is that the new LFer would take the spot in the lineup of the DH, but I'm not sure.

oneupper
03-09-2012, 06:35 AM
I don't think so. The LF who came to bat is now the pitcher and out of the lineup. Unless there is another switch, the new LF takes the place of the old LF (and will hit first).

The DH remains the same one it was before.

But I'm not an expert on AL baseball.

Roy Tucker
03-09-2012, 08:19 AM
I kinda sorta remembered this happening before so I looked it up:

From a game last season:

http://worldsworstsportsblog.com/tag/position-players-pitching/

Three days later, the Oakland As were visiting the Boston Red Sox and the game wasn’t going well for the home team. Journeyman outfielder Darnell McDonald had started the game at right field, as is his custom. In the top of the ninth, the Athletics were leading 13-4. Terry Francona had only gotten four innings out of starter Tim Wakefield, followed by three competent innings from Scott Atchison and a painful four-earned-run inning from Matt Albers. Since Albers wasn’t really a good option to stay in the game, McDonald moved from the field to the pitcher’s mound. Of course, this being the American League, that meant the team had to give up its designated hitter, so David Ortiz had a seat and Josh Reddick came in to play right. McDonald finished the game, giving up two runs, both earned, on one hit and two walks. Unsurprisingly, a game started by a knuckleballer had two wild pitches; surprisingly, one was Wakefield’s and one was Atchison’s. The position player and the guy who gave up four earned runs? No wild pitches at all.

oneupper
03-09-2012, 08:24 AM
I kinda sorta remembered this happening before so I looked it up:

From a game last season:

http://worldsworstsportsblog.com/tag/position-players-pitching/

So, i was wrong. Again. I sure hope we don't have to deal with that rule.