PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Harry Wendelstedt

OldRightHander
03-09-2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/story/2012-03-09/Umpire-Harry-Wendelstedt-dies/53444008/1

RANDY IN INDY
03-09-2012, 05:45 PM
A name from my childhood. RIP

Joseph
03-09-2012, 06:50 PM
May be the first UMP I ever heard about when I was a kid.

_Sir_Charles_
03-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Awww. How sad. RIP Harry.

Dom Heffner
03-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Getting older it's always sad to hear about names from our past passing away.

As a little kid I remember hearing Marty and Joe telling us who the umpires were for the day. Wendelstedt is one that always stood out.

Rest in peace.

gilpdawg
03-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Reading the article, it talked about how he Drysdale hit a batter with a pitch and Wendelstedt ruled that the batter didn't attempt to avoid the pitch.

That's a rule that I wish was called on a regular basis.

Phhhl
03-10-2012, 02:24 AM
I know he was a crew chief, because Marty commented on it many times. I can see his face from some black and white stills in Reds publications sold at Riverfront. No doubt, he po'd me off more than once with a call that went against the Reds, but nothing less than a signifigant name from my youth associated with the game I love. Hearing that he died today reminded me of how young he must have been when those passing memories of him were created, and how short life is. Seventy three is an interruption in this day and age.

RedFanAlways1966
03-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I always remembered his name by seeing ads for the Harry Wendelstedt Umpiring School. This would have been during my youth/teen years when reading my grandfather's monthly issue of Baseball Digest. During those youthful years I thought, "Who in the world would want to go to school to be a stnking umpire?" lol

RIP Harry.

Unassisted
03-11-2012, 09:47 PM
I always remembered his name by seeing ads for the Harry Wendelstedt Umpiring School.
Me too. I actually took Umpiring for college gym credit around the time I was seeing those ads.

cumberlandreds
03-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. He was an excellent umpire who served his position well for many years. Umpires today could use a lesson on his skills and professionalism.

Sea Ray
03-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Reading the article, it talked about how he Drysdale hit a batter with a pitch and Wendelstedt ruled that the batter didn't attempt to avoid the pitch.

That's a rule that I wish was called on a regular basis.

Me too. Craig Biggio will likely be voted into the Hall someday and he regularly stuck his heavily armored elbow out in order to get a free pass to 1st base. That used to drive me nuts

_Sir_Charles_
03-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Me too. Craig Biggio will likely be voted into the Hall someday and he regularly stuck his heavily armored elbow out in order to get a free pass to 1st base. That used to drive me nuts

True, but I'm pretty sure Biggio would get in regardless of that. HBP's aside, he was still on heck of a player.