PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NCAA Tournament

Pages : [1] 2

bucksfan2
03-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Talk about the tournament here instead of in IU, UC, UK, and OSU's threads.

dabvu2498
03-12-2012, 11:53 AM
I think there may only be 3-4 schools with a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing. Everyone else is untalented or inconsistent.

Having said that, now watch somebody like Colorado go win the whole thing.

It's why it's the best sporting event of the year.

traderumor
03-12-2012, 12:11 PM
The first weekend of March Madness is the best sports drama there is all year. Its all anticlimactic from there as things start to get more predictable. Even that there will be at least one dark horse entry to the Elite Eight is almost predictable. The fun part of it is you just never know who that might be.

dougdirt
03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I think there may only be 3-4 schools with a legitimate shot at winning the whole thing. Everyone else is untalented or inconsistent.

Having said that, now watch somebody like Colorado go win the whole thing.

It's why it's the best sporting event of the year.

Yeah, I mean lets be honest.... who saw UCONN and Butler playing in the finals last year? While I don't think there were the "elite" and then a big gap like there is perceived to be this year, I doubt many had either of those teams in the finals, much less both.

Captain13
03-12-2012, 12:17 PM
I love the tourney, and all it's little sub-plots. As a follower of both, and a fan of neither, I really hope UC plays Ohio State in the Sweet 16. Wow! What a game that could be. Not to mention UK v. IU and UK v. Duke as possibilities. X v. ND in the first round, What!? Jesuits v. Catholics. Possible Sweet 16 rematch of Louisville v. Michigan St. There are more, I'm sure. I just love this stuff. :D:eek::shocked::beerme::scared::thumbup:

bucksfan2
03-12-2012, 12:29 PM
The WSJ has a blind bracket where you get a breakdown 5 or 6 key components and then you make your choice based upon that. My Final 4 was Witcha St, MSU, SU, and KU with Kansas winning it all.

I think the baksetball world would be shocked if Witcha St beat UK.

Stray
03-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I like Cincinnati's draw. Sure we can go out and lose our 1st round game, but I think the matchup is still nice for us. We're so inconsistent that I have no faith in our ability to string some good games in a row, but I would love to get to the Sweet 16 for what would more than likely be a pretty cool matchup against the Buckeyes.

I'm not sure why people are saying Kentucky got a tough draw. Sure UCONN is a scary 8/9 seed, but they still aren't that good this year, and Kentucky is playing their first two games in Lville. Duke is easily the worst 2 seed, and Baylor at the 3 has struggled with most of the good teams they've played this year. Oh and Indiana at the 4 isn't bad at all, they're mainly just dangerous at home. I predict Kentucky to win the region with ease.

I think Long Beach State upsets Louisville, but I have Missouri winning that region. If the South and West play out that way, that's a scary matchup for UK in the FF imo.

I have no faith in Syracuse whatsoever, and if they get Vandy in the Sweet 16 it's a terrible matchup for them. If Florida State plays like they care I think them and OSU are the teams to beat there.

Not even sure how I feel about the Midwest. UNC or Kansas, but I wouldn't be shocked if it were someone else.

And I have Kentucky winning it all in my bracket...too much talent. Played pretty crappy in the SEC Tourn, but maybe they just got it out of their system.

ervinsm84
03-12-2012, 01:04 PM
GT as a 3 seed, is a whopping 3.5 point favorite vs Belmont.

Belmont, if they pull off the 1st rd upset, would also be favored in the next rd vs either NC State or SD ST, which btw, the 11 seed NC State is favored in that game.

This has to be the best 14 seed in the history of the tournament and has a legit chance of getting to the S16. 25.9% by kpom Log5, which is higher than Cincy, Murray St, SD ST, Temple, or ND.

Roy Tucker
03-12-2012, 01:43 PM
The more I watch the NCAAs, the more I realize I don't know a darn thing.

I used to pride myself on knowing a lot about college hoops. But then my bracket always went down the toilet and the person that won made their picks based on which color uniform they liked more. So any more, I just watch the games and enjoy the stories.

A XU fan/co-worker was talking about how bad the Muskies were and how they had no shot and I told him that there is always one (or more) teams a year that look deader than a bloated possum on the side of the road and then something happens and they spring to life. Just when you think the tourney is predictable, that's when it bites you in the butt.

Scrap Irony
03-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Kentucky's bracket is the toughest, but its path to the Final Four is the easiest of the top seeds (if that makes any sense). UNC is the one who should feel jobbed. Kansas in St. Louis? In an elite eight matchup? Unfair. (Though, to be fair, either they or Duke almost always get this same advantage in most other tourneys.)

I'm drinking the Big Ten kool-aid, as both Ohio State and Michigan State play good enough defense to get to New Orleans. They need to shoot well, though, to get there. Florida State is a Big Ten team that happens to play in the ACC, so I don't expect there to be a real problem in facing them, and I believe Syracuse's road in the bracket--Kansas State (who rebounds like madmen), Vandy (who can shoot from d-e-e-p and play athletically enough to drive around them), and either The Seminoles (if defense wins championships, they should at least be in the discussion) or the Buckeyes (exceptional defense, a penchant for tough play, and the rebounding of Sullinger and company)-- is a matchup nightmare for Boeheim.

bucksfan2
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Kentucky's bracket is the toughest, but its path to the Final Four is the easiest of the top seeds (if that makes any sense). UNC is the one who should feel jobbed. Kansas in St. Louis? In an elite eight matchup? Unfair. (Though, to be fair, either they or Duke almost always get this same advantage in most other tourneys.)

I'm drinking the Big Ten kool-aid, as both Ohio State and Michigan State play good enough defense to get to New Orleans. They need to shoot well, though, to get there. Florida State is a Big Ten team that happens to play in the ACC, so I don't expect there to be a real problem in facing them, and I believe Syracuse's road in the bracket--Kansas State (who rebounds like madmen), Vandy (who can shoot from d-e-e-p and play athletically enough to drive around them), and either The Seminoles (if defense wins championships, they should at least be in the discussion) or the Buckeyes (exceptional defense, a penchant for tough play, and the rebounding of Sullinger and company)-- is a matchup nightmare for Boeheim.

Drinking the Big Ten kool-aid, I like it!

I mentioned in the UK thread, I think they got the easiest draw of the top teams. Before the draw I thought there were a handful of teams who could play with and beat UK. The likes of Syrcuse, FSU, OSU, UNC, KU, and Georgetown. All those teams are on the complete other side of the bracket. They always could be upset, but I think the above teams would be very good basektball games if matched up against UK. I think you also have teams who play a difficult style and could jump up and bite you, and they really aren't in UK's bracket. Speaking of the South Bracket, I always feel kinda jobed when a mid major has to play a mid major in a 5-12 game.

As an OSU fan I am ok with the bracket. FSU is a tough matchup, but they play a familiar style of basektball. They seem to be everyone's darkhorse choice. Oftentimes those darkhorses falter. I don't know what to think of Syracuse. Their zone is troublesome and OSU doesn't have a great outside shooter, but I wonder how much a Thomas can be a zone buster, can hit the 3, is an offensive rebounding machine, and can score at will at times. I don't want to see UC just for the fact I don't want there to be a potential loss to UC. Don't want to hear the UC fans talking about OSU ducking them for all those years.

I have a feeling the National Champion will come from the UNC or Kansas winner. Could you imagine what would happen to the state if Indiana if they beat UK two times in one season? I highly doubt that will happen but it would be something to see. I also see a tough potential matchup with MSU. MSU will hit UK in the face and play a tough, physical type of game. Exactly the type of game UK could struggle with and hasn't seen much this season.

Stray
03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
I'm not sold on the Spartans getting to New Orleans, I know that's crazy to say about an Izzo coached team. Memphis on the weekend is a rough matchup for a 1 seed, Memphis should be a 6. And Missouri is so impressive when you watch them...I think MSU would pound them on the boards, but I don't think they'd be able to keep up with the Missouri guards.

dougdirt
03-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Three #1's and a #8 wound up being my Final Four. Chew on that one!

Kentucky and Syracuse in the finals.

jmac
03-12-2012, 06:02 PM
If you forget the names on the jersey's and look at team play, I dont think UK's draw is the toughest. Duke for example is the weakest of the 2 seeds.
Also....watchout for Memphis as a sleeper pick. Vandy could surprise as well.

zacharync
03-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Florida State is a Big Ten team that happens to play in the ACC.

What is that supposed to mean? FSU can score points.

zacharync
03-12-2012, 11:58 PM
If you forget the names on the jersey's and look at team play, I dont think UK's draw is the toughest. Duke for example is the weakest of the 2 seeds.

In your opinion they're the weakest 2, but not according to the committee who actually makes the decisions.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rapid-reports/post/17734843

ervinsm84
03-13-2012, 01:42 AM
In your opinion they're the weakest 2, but not according to the committee who actually makes the decisions.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rapid-reports/post/17734843

2's
OHio ST Kpom 2, LRMC 2, Sagarin 2, Sagarin Predictor 1

Kansas kpom 4, LRMC 3, Sagarin 4, Sag Predictor 4

Mizz kpom 8, LRMC 7, Sagarin 7, Sag Predictor 7

duke Kpom 17, LRMC 12, Sagarin 11, Sag Predictor 12

Oh and ryan Kelly is still coming off an injury. Duke, by all objective measures is definitely the weakest 2 seed in terms of "how good they are." The committee doesnt rank teams based off of "how good they are" but rather pure results "resumes" where they consider 1 point wins the same as 25 point wins, which hopefully everyone understands is silly if were trying to project how teams will finish.

Luckily for Duke, they get a really soft 10 or 7 seed according to Kpom, so they effectively should walk into the sw16 despite being the smallest favored 2 seed to get out of rd 1 (only a 12-13 point favorite).

SunDeck
03-13-2012, 08:00 AM
My wife picks her teams by the design of their uniforms.
And routinely does better than I do in our pool.

Boston Red
03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
When Duke is not a 1 seed, they are generally not very good and go out early.

Roy Tucker
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
My wife picks her teams by the design of their uniforms.
And routinely does better than I do in our pool.

I'm going to pick a bracket based on which mascot can beat up the other teams' mascot.

http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

bucksfan2
03-13-2012, 09:47 AM

The thing with Duke ever since Battier and Williams left is Coach K hasn't really recruited the top tier of high school players. It hasn't been until the last few years that he had anything close to a one and done type player. He has built his team around good solid players who are going to stay 2+ years. The problem with that is they don't have the athleticism that other teams have. A few years ago when they won the national title their road to the title was paved by good solid teams, but not teams that had the athletes who could overpower Duke. When they match up with an OSU, UNC, FSU, this year or in years past like Arizona their lack of athletes really shows. They play good team basektball, probably the best in the NCAA, but don't have the horses to match up against the top teams.

dabvu2498
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm amazed that so many people seem to be sleeping on Syracuse. They're 31-2 against a rugged schedule. They're deep. They play tough defense. I guess they don't have that "star" type player, but man, I look at them and I see a Final 4 team.

cumberlandreds
03-13-2012, 10:39 AM
My chalk Final Four is Kentucky, Syracuse, North Carolina and Missouri.

I could see a team like Vandy making a big run in the NCAA's. They are a veteran team that has good talent. If they can get over that first round hurdle they could do some real damage.

Hoosier Red
03-13-2012, 10:53 AM
I like Cincinnati's draw. Sure we can go out and lose our 1st round game, but I think the matchup is still nice for us. We're so inconsistent that I have no faith in our ability to string some good games in a row, but I would love to get to the Sweet 16 for what would more than likely be a pretty cool matchup against the Buckeyes.

I'm not sure why people are saying Kentucky got a tough draw. Sure UCONN is a scary 8/9 seed, but they still aren't that good this year, and Kentucky is playing their first two games in Lville. Duke is easily the worst 2 seed, and Baylor at the 3 has struggled with most of the good teams they've played this year. Oh and Indiana at the 4 isn't bad at all, they're mainly just dangerous at home. I predict Kentucky to win the region with ease.

I agree with this. Kentucky's draw is tough if they have to play the best team from each school's history. But this isn't the 1999 UCONN Huskies, 1976 Indiana Hoosiers, or 1992 Duke Blue Devils.

For a top seeded team, having troublemakers just one sub bracket over can do a lot of good as the lower seeds can do some dirty work. I seriously doubt Duke makes the elite 8.

I believe Kentucky's the most talented team in the region anyway, but the road could potentially be paved to make it all the more certain.

TeamSelig
03-13-2012, 11:15 AM
What do you guys think about Virginia? My initial gut reaction was to have them lose to Florida in the opening game. Then I started looking at stats.....

Opponent Shooting %

FL 43.3%
VA 39.6%

Shooting %

FL 46.1%
VA 46.0%

ervinsm84
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
What do you guys think about Virginia? My initial gut reaction was to have them lose to Florida in the opening game. Then I started looking at stats.....

Opponent Shooting %

FL 43.3%
VA 39.6%

Shooting %

FL 46.1%
VA 46.0%

Should be a fun battle of contrasting styles. Virginia has an extremely underrated coach, is one of the best defenses in the country on a points per possession basis, and then when we throw in they play one of the slowest paces, this game is probably gonna be a low scoring game that comes down to half court execution. Virginia imo, will make this an ugly, ugly game.

Its a lot easier to slow a game down, than to speed one up.

Florida, imo has more talent at probably every position but one, but they may not even have the best player on the floor. Mike Scott for Va, was arguably the best player in the ACC this year, but he didnt win POY bc his team's level of success wasnt the same as Zeller.

Virginia though, is really shorthanded with injuries right now. I think they only have 7 scholarship guys left able to play, and of those really only 5 are guys they want on the floor bc there is a pretty massive dropoff. However, with the longer TV timeouts, I dont think depth is as big of a deal in the tournament and it may even benefit them to have their best players on the floor 37-40 minutes a piece.

Fla is still the favorite, but its pretty close to a coinflip.

dabvu2498
03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Agreed on the UF-UVa matchup. It's a tough one.

If Florida can dictate tempo, they win by 15. But I think UVa will impose their will to slow it down. They kept it close with almost every good team on their schedule.

If I were picking an official bracket, I'd think long and hard about UVa.

Stray
03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm amazed that so many people seem to be sleeping on Syracuse. They're 31-2 against a rugged schedule. They're deep. They play tough defense. I guess they don't have that "star" type player, but man, I look at them and I see a Final 4 team.

I know Boeheim won it all with Carmelo Anthony not too long ago, but other than that they fizzle out in the tournament more often than not.

They don't score particularly well in a halfcourt set, they don't rebound out of their zone very well at all, and if you have shooters you can get some good looks against them. I guess for me it's just the eyeball test...every game that I've watched of them was far from impressive.

ervinsm84
03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
In general, I think if the public breakdown is heavily in support of one team ( idk many people picking VA and the breakdown on yahoo was 76/24 in favor of Fla), but you feel the game is relatively close, I think it's better to go with the team not as many people will be picking to win but still has a really good chance for the W.

So yea, i did pick Va in my for $ brackets, but I still think Fla is slightly better.

RichRed
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
I'd like to see UVA win but one thing to consider is that they're only 4-6 in their last 10 games. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything come tourney time but they're definitely not playing as well as they were earlier in the season, which is partly attributable to injuries.

Stray
03-13-2012, 02:34 PM
Fab Melo will miss the NCAA Tournament. Wasn't liking their chances before, really don't like them now.

WVRed
03-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Agreed on the UF-UVa matchup. It's a tough one.

If Florida can dictate tempo, they win by 15. But I think UVa will impose their will to slow it down. They kept it close with almost every good team on their schedule.

If I were picking an official bracket, I'd think long and hard about UVa.

I'm looking forward to a Florida-Missouri matchup if Florida escapes. Both teams play up-tempo live and die by the three basketball. If both teams are scoring I could see the final score in the 90's-100's.

OTOH, if Virginia gets by Florida, they could cause problems for Missouri in that both teams are similar.

I know Boeheim won it all with Carmelo Anthony not too long ago, but other than that they fizzle out in the tournament more often than not.

They don't score particularly well in a halfcourt set, they don't rebound out of their zone very well at all, and if you have shooters you can get some good looks against them. I guess for me it's just the eyeball test...every game that I've watched of them was far from impressive.

Since 2003:

2004: Sweet 16 (Loss to Alabama)
2005: First round (Upset by Vermont as a 4/13)
2006: First round (Upset by Texas A&M as a 5/12)
2007: NIT
2008: NIT
2009: Sweet 16 (Loss to Oklahoma)
2010: Sweet 16 (Upset by Butler)
2011: Third Round (Upset by Marquette, was a 3 seed)

Syracuse is deep, but I'll go with past indicators on this one. If they play Vanderbilt in the Sweet 16, I could see them going home early.

WMR
03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Syracuse isn't winning it all without Melo.

BuckeyeRed27
03-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Fab Melo will miss the NCAA Tournament. Wasn't liking their chances before, really don't like them now.

Wow that is big news. The Ohio State Buckeyes say thank you.

bucksfan2
03-13-2012, 03:20 PM
I have a feeling that Boehiem will shortly go the way of Jim Tressel. Lack of control over his program and will be forced out. I wonder if in a year or so the season will be vacated because of Melo being ineligable for longer than once thought.

dougdirt
03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Three #1's and a #8 wound up being my Final Four. Chew on that one!

Kentucky and Syracuse in the finals.

I take it back. Two #1's and a Kentucky/UNC final.

ervinsm84
03-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Since 2003:

2004: Sweet 16 (Loss to Alabama)
2005: First round (Upset by Vermont as a 4/13)
2006: First round (Upset by Texas A&M as a 5/12)
2007: NIT
2008: NIT
2009: Sweet 16 (Loss to Oklahoma)
2010: Sweet 16 (Upset by Butler)
2011: Third Round (Upset by Marquette, was a 3 seed)

Syracuse is deep, but I'll go with past indicators on this one. If they play Vanderbilt in the Sweet 16, I could see them going home early.

Isn't Vandy's tourney history just as bad, if not worse, seeing as the last 3 times they've been in they lost their first game to a 12, 13 and 13 seed?

Kevin Stallings @ Vandy
00 NIT
01 no post season
02 NIT
03 no post season
04 Lost in Sw16 as 6 seed to 2 seed
05 NIT
06 NIT
07 Lost in Sw 16 as 6 seed to 2 seed
08 Lost in rd of 64 as 4 seed to 13 seed
09 No post season
10 lost in rd of 64 as 4 seed to 13 seed
11 Lost in Rd of 64 as 5 seed to 12 seed

paintmered
03-13-2012, 05:01 PM

I don't know how someone can be declared ineligible halfway through a semester. :confused:

Perhaps the 'Cuse will be giving some games back to the NCAA gods in a few months?

Sea Ray
03-13-2012, 06:14 PM
What are all the channels that these games starting Thursday will be on? I know CBS but what are the other channels? Thanks

Ohayou
03-13-2012, 06:18 PM
What are all the channels that these games starting Thursday will be on? I know CBS but what are the other channels? Thanks

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule?date=20120315

Sea Ray
03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule?date=20120315

CBS, TNT, truTV and TNT

dabvu2498
03-13-2012, 06:42 PM

Kansas State could very well get Syracuse without Melo.

SunDeck
03-13-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm going to pick a bracket based on which mascot can beat up the other teams' mascot.

http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

She did that too.
I think this year she has all bi-directionals making it to the sweet sixteen.
Far more creative than my picking.

dougdirt
03-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Western Kentucky has out rebounded Mississippi Valley State by 30..... and wins by 1.

VottoFan54
03-13-2012, 09:10 PM
That was a heck of a game, not really well played, but fun to watch.

texasdave
03-13-2012, 09:13 PM
They call it March Madness for a reason. WKU trails by 16, 53-37, with less than five minutes to play and come back to win it 59-58.

dougdirt
03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
That was a heck of a game, not really well played, but fun to watch.

Yeah, I turned it off earlier and got a phone call "*$#%@*#$@ ARE YOU WATCHING THIS?!" and turned it back on at 54-54. Outstanding comeback. But it was an ugly game, though fun to watch.

Scrap Irony
03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Among. the. greatest. games. ever.

;)

Go Toppers!

texasdave
03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
They asked Clark Kellogg when it was 49-34 with about 8 minutes to go if Western Kentucky had another comeback in them and Clark said no. Oops. MVSU was outplaying them up until that point so it really was hard to envision such a turnaround.

Congrats, WKU. You get to play Kentucky now. I wouldn't advise the Hilltoppers letting Kentucky get by 16 with five minutes to play. =)

WVRed
03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Among. the. greatest. games. ever.

;)

Go Toppers!

Glad to see you're alive. :)

jmac
03-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Nice game by Toppers ! They almost blew it by missing 5 free throws late but at least they came out on top. :)
Now...go big blue ! :D

Spazzrico
03-13-2012, 09:53 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you will be able to watch them live online for free as well. Past couple years that has been the case. NCAA.com I think.

redhawkfish
03-13-2012, 09:57 PM
BYU/Iona game is being played at a Bo Kimble led Loyola Marymount pace! Fun stuff so far today!

Ohayou
03-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Not to take anything away from WK's win, but that was just awful. I don't think I've ever seen a more disorganized game than that.

dougdirt
03-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Not to take anything away from WK's win, but that was just awful. I don't think I've ever seen a more disorganized game than that.

At least at this level.... I have played in some really bad games at some local parks.

dougdirt
03-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Iona is going to outscore the teams from the other match up tonight..... in the first half.

jmac
03-13-2012, 10:32 PM

So true ! I actually meant in my earlier post...nice "win" as it wasnt a pretty game at all as you said.

WVRed
03-13-2012, 10:43 PM

CBS, TBS, TNT, TruTV

dabvu2498
03-13-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm an Iona fan now. Love the way they play.

Razor Shines
03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm an Iona fan now. Love the way they play.

yeah, me too. they are fun

dougdirt
03-13-2012, 11:29 PM
What is this.... the night of not holding huge leads?! BYU was down 25 and is now down 1.

dougdirt
03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
What is in the water in Dayton?

Reds Fanatic
03-13-2012, 11:49 PM
What a night. After Western Kentucky sets the all time NCAA tournament record for the biggest comeback in the last 5 minutes now BYU has come back from 25 down to take a lead with just over 2 minutes left.

texasdave
03-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Iona 55 points in the first half. 15 so far in the second half with two minutes to play. Does not seem possible, but there it is.

texasdave
03-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Iona scored 55 points in the game's first 16 minutes and then just 17 more points in the final 24. Incomprehensible. And therein lies the greatness and intrigue of sports. Anything can happen.

WVRed
03-14-2012, 10:40 AM
NM

Sea Ray
03-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I hate play in games but those two were something else

dabvu2498
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
No repeat of the excitement from night one.

Yawn.

Boston Red
03-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Nice of Cal to reinforce just how awful the Pac-12 was this year.

dabvu2498
03-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Nice of Cal to reinforce just how awful the Pac-12 was this year.

Arizona is doing their part, losing tonight in the NIT. At home. Against Bucknell.

texasdave
03-14-2012, 11:24 PM
South Florida Bulls get their first NCAA tourney win ever. Nice.

dougdirt
03-15-2012, 08:42 AM
South Florida Bulls get their first NCAA tourney win ever. Nice.

Doesn't count. Until you win on a Thursday or Friday, it doesn't count.

Razor Shines
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Doesn't count. Until you win on a Thursday or Friday, it doesn't count.

Oh you didn't hear? Those games were the first round, that's right there were 60 first round byes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texasdave
03-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Early Major Upset Alert. UNC-Asheville up 29-24 on number one seed Syracuse late in the first half.

Stray
03-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Go Asheville!

RichRed
03-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I lived in Asheville for five years. I'd love to see them make history against the Orange.

texasdave
03-15-2012, 04:50 PM
39-33 UNC-Asheville leads with 17:16 remaining. 16 seed beating a 1 seed.

Update: 46-45 Syracuse trails with 11:15 remaining.

Syracuse finally edges in front 54-52 with 7+ minutes to go.

Reds Fanatic
03-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Asheville is tied with just over 6 minutes left.

Also another good game going between Long Beach State and New Mexico

texasdave
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
The dream is slowly dying. The Orange up 8 with 2 something to go.

Nailbiter. Syracuse up four with a minute twenty to go.

dabvu2498
03-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Good to see that Amaker is teaching the Duke flop well.

Reds Fanatic
03-15-2012, 05:33 PM
There have been some awful calls against Asheville. A missed goal tending earlier now a bad lane viloation

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mdhkcz

texasdave
03-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Asheville down three with 54 seconds remaining.

Reds Fanatic
03-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Another missed call. The refs are giving the game to Syracuse

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yxra2q

jredmo2
03-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow. These refs won't live this one down for a while.

texasdave
03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Big East now 4-0. Syracuse, Marquette, Louisville and South Florida all with wins.

BuckeyeRed27
03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Not able to watch right now. What exactly happened down the stretch there in the UNCA game?

RiverRat13
03-15-2012, 05:48 PM
The lane violation was the correct call. Reggie Miller evidently doesn't know the college rules. A player outside of the arc cannot come in on a free throw until the attempt hits the rim in college. Had it been the NBA he would have been right.

KronoRed
03-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Not able to watch right now. What exactly happened down the stretch there in the UNCA game?

Out of bounds blown call, benefiting the oranges.

dabvu2498
03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
The lane violation was the correct call. Reggie Miller evidently doesn't know the college rules. A player outside of the arc cannot come in on a free throw until the attempt hits the rim in college. Had it been the NBA he would have been right.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but I hadn't looked it up yet.

Stray
03-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Those refs shouldn't call another game in this tournament. They handed that game to Syracuse, absolutely terrible. Sometimes it's subtle, other times not so much.

dabvu2498
03-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Marquette vs. Murray is going to be a serious game.

jredmo2
03-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Video here. (http://deadspin.com/5893730/syracuse-avoided-being-the-first-1-seed-to-lose-to-a-16-thanks-in-part-to-the-referees)

Clear goaltend not called. Syracuse gets fouled and heads to the line, misses the front end of the one-and-one, but a lane violation is called on the guard coming from the top of the key to rebound. Not sure what the rule is on that, but he hadn't crossed the 3-point line by the time the ball was released (looked like there might have been another violation on the block, FWIW). [Okay, apparently the guys on the outside can't pass the 3 pt. line until the ball hits the rim. So, good call there.]

Up 3 on an inbound, Syracuse throws it away off the reciever's hands. Clearly off Syracuse, ball nonetheless awarded to Syracuse. That one was just blatantly blown, really unfortunate.

paintmered
03-15-2012, 05:58 PM
The refs can't have a little 'ole 16 beat Syracuse now, can they?

jredmo2
03-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Postgame, the head of men's officiating talks about the game. Says the lane violation is correct.

He says the inbound call was blown, clearly should have been UNCA's ball. Asked if a foul could have been called on UNCA on the collision, he says fairly categorically that there was no foul due to incidental contact.

Danny Serafini
03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
How is hip checking someone incidental contact? That was a pretty blatant foul.

jmac
03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Oh well.....I picked WVU as an early upset over Gonzaga. :eek:

Mutaman
03-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I have a feeling that Boehiem will shortly go the way of Jim Tressel. Lack of control over his program and will be forced out. I wonder if in a year or so the season will be vacated because of Melo being ineligable for longer than once thought.

Would that mean that Marquette gets the Big East Trophy?

RANDY IN INDY
03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Gonzaga all over the Mounties! :)

WVRed
03-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Gonzaga all over the Mounties! :)

As much as I hate that I picked WVU to go to the Sweet 16, its still nice to see WVU lose. :)

Just means Ohio State is likely going to have a cakewalk to the Final Four unless Florida State gives them a game in the Sweet 16. I don't see Syracuse getting by K-State.

Ohayou
03-15-2012, 10:06 PM
My first brackets are always such massive failures. I go in thinking THIS is the one, but then I just end up tearing it apart. :laugh:

Luckily for me, my other two are doing well.

WVRed
03-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Iowa State is looking pretty good so far. UK fans were freaking out over UConn but the Cyclones could be a bigger problem.

I still think Kentucky wins. UConn isn't playing defense at all.

dougdirt
03-15-2012, 10:32 PM
My first brackets are always such massive failures. I go in thinking THIS is the one, but then I just end up tearing it apart. :laugh:

Luckily for me, my other two are doing well.

Cheater.

Ohayou
03-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Is not.

jmac
03-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Iowa State is looking pretty good so far. UK fans were freaking out over UConn but the Cyclones could be a bigger problem.

I still think Kentucky wins. UConn isn't playing defense at all.
Alot of the National media were talking up UConn as well. Not all were saying they would beat UK but most all had them in the rematch.

bucksfan2
03-16-2012, 09:13 AM
As much as I hate that I picked WVU to go to the Sweet 16, its still nice to see WVU lose. :)

Just means Ohio State is likely going to have a cakewalk to the Final Four unless Florida State gives them a game in the Sweet 16. I don't see Syracuse getting by K-State.

That game reminded me of the last time a Huggins coached team played Gonzaga in the tournament. But this time he didn't get kicked out and the teams radio color guy didn't get kicked out either.

When the brackets came out I would have much rather faced Gonzaga than WVU. That said they put on one of the most impressive performances I saw yesterday. Just completely dominated WVU from the opening tip. I think Sacre can give Sullinger fits and they shoot the ball very good. I just hope when OSU's defensive intensity is turned up they force Gonzaga to struggle.

After watching Syracuse they will be lucky to make it past KSU and then will either face a tougher task with Vandy or Wisconsin. As an OSU another potential matchup with Wisconsin isn't something I want to see.

traderumor
03-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Ohio State played about as bad as you can play to win by 20 points. I'm sure they either got to or approached 20 turnovers against a 15 seed? Come on. They shot poorly and the defense played lazy. The bench players all played terrible, which is what I think kept the game close. They were throwing the ball away almost every time they touched it, Ravenal couldn't stop fouling. Hopefully they'll pull out their A game and Gonzaga already played theirs. If its similar play to what both teams played in their openers, Ohio State probably gets upset.

Sea Ray
03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
That game reminded me of the last time a Huggins coached team played Gonzaga in the tournament. But this time he didn't get kicked out and the teams radio color guy didn't get kicked out either.

When the brackets came out I would have much rather faced Gonzaga than WVU. That said they put on one of the most impressive performances I saw yesterday. Just completely dominated WVU from the opening tip. I think Sacre can give Sullinger fits and they shoot the ball very good. I just hope when OSU's defensive intensity is turned up they force Gonzaga to struggle.

After watching Syracuse they will be lucky to make it past KSU and then will either face a tougher task with Vandy or Wisconsin. As an OSU another potential matchup with Wisconsin isn't something I want to see.

Forget the ESPN chatter. The talk on the bracketology shows centered around Gonzaga having to travel so far and the advantage W Va had in taking a short bus ride. I didn't put much stock into that and picked Gonzaga because I thought they were the better team.

However I must add that I got burned with the Wichita St hype.:(

Stray
03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah I bought into the Wichita State hype as well, forgot that VCU still has Shaka Smart and it's hard to count them out. On top of that I had Davidson winning, Long Beach State in the Sweet 16, BYU winning, and UCONN winning. Needless to say my bracket is dead...I'm the worst at making them. I pick the wrong upsets every year.

Sea Ray
03-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah I bought into the Wichita State hype as well, forgot that VCU still has Shaka Smart and it's hard to count them out. On top of that I had Davidson winning, Long Beach State in the Sweet 16, BYU winning, and UCONN winning. Needless to say my bracket is dead...I'm the worst at making them. I pick the wrong upsets every year.

My goal is to hit 13 out of 16 on the first day. Yesterday wasn't so hot. I only got 11 but I've only lost two that I had going beyond this round so I'm not throwing in the towel yet...but I'm not bragging either.;)

bucksfan2
03-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Ohio State played about as bad as you can play to win by 20 points. I'm sure they either got to or approached 20 turnovers against a 15 seed? Come on. They shot poorly and the defense played lazy. The bench players all played terrible, which is what I think kept the game close. They were throwing the ball away almost every time they touched it, Ravenal couldn't stop fouling. Hopefully they'll pull out their A game and Gonzaga already played theirs. If its similar play to what both teams played in their openers, Ohio State probably gets upset.

It was the worst officiated game of the tournament that I saw. The Syracuse refs blew a major call or two, but the officials in the OSU game didn't let either team play. I felt bad for Loyola because 10 mintues into the game OSU was in the double bonus and they were saddled with foul trouble. I think the officials dictated the game and didn't allow either team to play. It was almost as if a whistle was being blown on every possession. Its unfortunate how a quick whistle can really screw up a game, and push it well beyond my bedtime.

dabvu2498
03-16-2012, 12:10 PM
USF-Temple... will either team break 50? 45?

cumberlandreds
03-16-2012, 12:14 PM
USF-Temple... will either team break 50? 45?

I would set the over/under at 100. Seriously.

dabvu2498
03-16-2012, 12:20 PM
I would set the over/under at 100. Seriously.

Vegas has it at 122. Easy money.

dougdirt
03-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Forget the ESPN chatter. The talk on the bracketology shows centered around Gonzaga having to travel so far and the advantage W Va had in taking a short bus ride. I didn't put much stock into that and picked Gonzaga because I thought they were the better team.

However I must add that I got burned with the Wichita St hype.:(

Maybe Wichita State is actually a really good team. VCU came into the tournament having won 17 of 18 and that one loss in there was a 1 point loss on a last second shot to a 24 win George Mason team.

texasdave
03-16-2012, 01:13 PM
20 more minutes of intensity please. Don't get complacent.
Bearcats up 36-17 early in the second half.
Texas creeping back. 44-30. I worry too much.

SI scoreboard has it spelled C-I-N-C-I-N-A-T-T-I. Is it really that hard to spell?

Under double-digits now 46-37. Eek.

49-46 with 6 minutes to go. 19 point second-half lead just about gone. =(

51-50 with just over 4 minutes left. No margin for error left.

52-52 3:44. FIRE MICK!!! <---Just kidding. But you know it is coming.

dabvu2498
03-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Maybe Wichita State is actually a really good team. VCU came into the tournament having won 17 of 18 and that one loss in there was a 1 point loss on a last second shot to a 24 win George Mason team.

Absolutely. VCU was underseeded by 2 maybe 3 spots.

cumberlandreds
03-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Absolutely. VCU was underseeded by 2 maybe 3 spots.

Totally agree. They should have been in that 8/9 slot. Very good team in a very underrated league.

dabvu2498
03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Holy shot selection, Longhorns!

Stray
03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Nice win for the Cats!

texasdave
03-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Cats execute down the stretch and move on. 65-59.

jredmo2
03-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Foul trouble really hampered UC's defense in the second half, forcing them to dial down the pressure.

Yancy was huge in the clutch, although he really does struggle to defend the pick and roll.

Cashmere Wright has quietly become a terrific player. UC is a lot better when he's on the floor.

bucksfan2
03-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Cashmere Wright has quietly become a terrific player. UC is a lot better when he's on the floor.

I think Cronin's adjustment to an up tempo game has really helped out Wright. He isn't a protypical PG in that he isn't very good when forced to play a half court offense. When he is in a run and gun, open floor offense he really thrives. Also having Parker or Dixon or both on the court at the same time has really been beneficial in that getting the offense started isn't forced solely on Wright.

RichRed
03-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Totally agree. They should have been in that 8/9 slot. Very good team in a very underrated league.

The CAA was down a bit this year, mainly due to the bottom half of the league being unusually weak. (Trust me, I know, I graduated from one of those schools.) But I think the committee allowed the overall strength of the league to influence them too much, because VCU is an excellent team no matter how you slice it. And they're doing it having lost four starters from last year's Final Four team.

Sea Ray
03-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Big East looking awful good so far. Have any of them lost yet? I'm kinda surprised the SEC has done as well as it has

Stray
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Bearcats get Florida State on Sunday. Gonna be a tough game, I think we'll win.

dougdirt
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Big East looking awful good so far. Have any of them lost yet?

West Virginia and UCONN both got beat around pretty good.

VottoFan54
03-16-2012, 05:48 PM
That FSU game was fun to watch, the St. Bonaventure played pretty well. Looks like Norfolk St. could give Mizzou a run for their money.

MikeThierry
03-16-2012, 06:15 PM
What the hell Mizzou? haha

Stray
03-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Feels like I'm watching the UNC Asheville game all over again...

Stray
03-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Anyone not already watching might wanna put on TNT, this Missouri Norfolk State game is crazy.

VottoFan54
03-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Missouri is in trouble, they are down 4 with 3 minutes left.

Stray
03-16-2012, 06:38 PM
What a game, this is great stuff.

Ohayou
03-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Norfolk's HC has got one hell of a poker face.

dougdirt
03-16-2012, 06:41 PM
This game is NUTS!

Playadlc
03-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I can't believe Pressey just hit that to cut it to 1.

VottoFan54
03-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Wasn't that a violation on McCauley?

Playadlc
03-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Wasn't that a violation on McCauley?

It was really close. I can't believe we didn't get to see a better angle. It looked to me like he got his 2nd foot down just in time.

jredmo2
03-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Will they inbound from the sideline here?

Boston Red
03-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Norfolk finally acting like a 15 seed.

Reds Fanatic
03-16-2012, 06:48 PM
What a game. Norfolk misses 2 fouls shots. Missouri ball with just under 3 seconds left and Norfolk State up by 2.

dougdirt
03-16-2012, 06:49 PM
What a game. Norfolk misses 2 fouls shots. Missouri ball with just under 3 seconds left and Norfolk State up by 2.

Isn't that three of their last 4?

Playadlc
03-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Where do they get 2.9 at? What the heck is going on here?

Stray
03-16-2012, 06:52 PM
They did it!

Reds Fanatic
03-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Wow. Norfolk State pulls off one of the alltime upsets.

jredmo2
03-16-2012, 06:53 PM
Classic

VottoFan54
03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Best game of the tourney so far.

jmac
03-16-2012, 07:23 PM
My first Final Four team to go down.

Eric in IL
03-16-2012, 07:44 PM
I couldn't believe Norfolk St. hung on and won this game. I thought they were a complete cupcake when Illinois State (my alma mater) destroyed them 68-36 in a game last December.

It's what makes March Madness great- you know the upsets are coming, but they come from unexpected sources.

Reds Fanatic
03-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Several good games tonight. Duke only up 2 on Lehigh at the half. Ohio up 5 on Michigan at the half and St. Louis and Memphis are in a close game early in the 2nd half.

Mutaman
03-16-2012, 08:53 PM
I couldn't believe Norfolk St. hung on and won this game. I thought they were a complete cupcake when Illinois State (my alma mater) destroyed them 68-36 in a game last December.

It's what makes March Madness great- you know the upsets are coming, but they come from unexpected sources.

A very interesting team- they lost to Marquette by 30 in Milwaukee in November, and a week later were an open shot away from upsetting them in the finals of the Paradise Jam. I remember thinking at that time that they would be heard from again in March. Alma Mater of the great Bobby Dandridge

dougdirt
03-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I am about 45 seconds away from losing a final four team in Memphis.... not good.

Reds Fanatic
03-16-2012, 09:21 PM
2 great games going on now. Ohio up 3 on Michigan with a minute and a half left and Lehigh up 3 on Duke

Reds Fanatic
03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Michigan keeps possession with 40 seconds left on a bad out of bounds call.

Reds Fanatic
03-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Wow. Lehigh now up 7 with under 2 minutes left. What a day for the 15 seeds

dougdirt
03-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Down goes Michigan!

Reds Fanatic
03-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Ohio beats Michigan 65-60

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?b2njfi

Boston Red
03-16-2012, 09:40 PM

Whoever said this is really smart. ;)

dougdirt
03-16-2012, 09:42 PM
This has been an incredible tournament so far, even with the play in games being nuts.

Reds Fanatic
03-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Wow Lehigh beats Duke. Before today a 15 seed had not won in the tournament in 11 years now 2 have won in the last 3 hours.

Purdue and St. Mary's are also going to the wire with 30 seconds left.

Stray
03-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Today is making up for yesterday's lack of madness.

15fan
03-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Coach K shows that it's really hard to win a game when you only have 4 McDonald's All-Americans on your roster and you are matched up with an elite team from the Patriot League.

And Michigan losing to Ohio?

Coach Hoke, I'd like to introduce you and your school to my friend karma.

Ohayou
03-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Michigan is easy to stop when Hardaway is not doing his thing.

Slyder
03-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Wow Lehigh beats Duke. Before today a 15 seed had not won in the tournament in 11 years now 2 have won in the last 3 hours.

Purdue and St. Mary's are also going to the wire with 30 seconds left.

Get your duke flops jokes out now, while you can!

AtomicDumpling
03-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Someone please kick me in the 'nads right now. That would feel better than losing my champion in the first round. I despise Duke. I have hated Duke since I was old enough to hate someone. This year I decided to pick someone other than Kentucky to win the tourney, since everyone was picking the obvious favorite. I figured I would choose Duke to win the tourney, then if I lost I would still be happy. So Coach K (Satan) decided to ruin my bracket in the very first round. I am now the fool who lost his championship pick in the very first freaking round. I hate Coach K now more than ever. I loathe Duke with every ounce of my soul. I didn't know it was possible to hate a team more than I hated Duke yesterday. Well guess what --- it is and I do. I HATE DUKE! I hate them so much I was rooting for them to lose even though it meant I would suffer the humiliation of losing my champion in their first game. I will gladly take last place in the bracket contest just so I can enjoy seeing Duke lose to the #15 seed that had never won an NCAA tourney game before. Duke my hatred burns for you with the fire of a thousand suns. Forever.

RiverRat13
03-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Obviously, Coach K is a great coach. One of the greatest of all time. But at this point, why would any decent big man go to Duke? Lehigh had no chance of stopping Mason Plumlee yet he only gets nine FGA (he made all nine) while Duke chucks 26 threes. I don't get it.

Todd Gack
03-17-2012, 12:26 AM
.500 since the Immaculate Conception and X wins a tourney game. Must've been praying a lot lately.

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Wow the refs ruined the end of that Xavier / Notre Dame game. I was rooting for X but that was some brutal officiating. I would rather they left the game in the players' hands.

texasdave
03-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Wow the refs ruined the end of that Xavier / Notre Dame game. I was rooting for X but that was some brutal officiating. I would rather they left the game in the players' hands.

What exactly is the rule on that? There were plenty of people in the lane already in front of him. Maybe that is the right call. I have no idea.

Boston Red
03-17-2012, 12:44 AM
Great win for X. Amazing that a 15 seed stands between X and the Sweet Sixteen!

reds1869
03-17-2012, 12:44 AM

I've never understood that sentiment. The game was in the players' hands, and they decided it when they broke the rules. The NCAA seems to be making a point about that particular kind of lane violation and I'm glad they are.

Edit for texasdave: the player outside the 3 point arc can not break to the lane prior to the shot.

Todd Gack
03-17-2012, 12:45 AM
I've never understood that sentiment. The game was in the players' hands, and they decided it when they broke the rules. The NCAA seems to be making a point about that particular kind of lane violation and I'm glad they are.

Except everyone was doing it.

Stray
03-17-2012, 12:55 AM
After seeing it called yesterday you would think most players/coaches would have made a mental note of it. Part of me hates having it called at the end of a game, but honestly if he missed the front end of that 1 and 1 and that guy commits an uncalled violation and grabs the offensive board it's pretty unfair.

Good win for Xavier...that was a wild day of basketball.

reds1869
03-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Good win for Xavier...that was a wild day of basketball.

Perhaps the best I've ever experienced.

Caveat Emperor
03-17-2012, 01:05 AM

I look at it less as "brutal officiating" and more karma finally catching up to that awful university.

BTW, I think the US could solve more than a few energy-independence issues by drilling Mike Brey's hair.

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2012, 01:27 AM

Edit for texasdave: the player outside the 3 point arc can not break to the lane prior to the shot.

I don't think they broke the rules. The guy didn't cross the line until after the ball was released.

reds1869
03-17-2012, 01:31 AM
I don't think they broke the rules. The guy didn't cross the line until after the ball was released.

Rule 9, Section 1, Article 2, Part G

Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the freethrow
line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until
the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw
ends.

http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/2010-11WBBPlayRulesHandbook.pdf (http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/2010-11WBBPlayRulesHandbook.pdf)

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2012, 01:34 AM

ends.

http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/2010-11WBBPlayRulesHandbook.pdf (http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/2010-11WBBPlayRulesHandbook.pdf)

LOL they could call that on every single free throw every game. Why wait until a crucial free throw at the end of the game to call it? Ridiculous.

jredmo2
03-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Call was correct, exact same call from yesterday in the Syracuse game. That being said, as a UC fan, it hurts to see XU with what looks like a fantastic path going forward.

reds1869
03-17-2012, 01:36 AM
LOL they could call that on every single free throw every game. Why wait until a crucial free throw at the end of the game to call it? Ridiculous.

True enough.

jredmo2
03-17-2012, 01:40 AM
True enough.

I'm not so sure. Granted, it's something I NEVER pay attention to. But I probably will tomorrow. It's a specific, fairly easy to identify thing, the guy coming from the top before it hits the rim. Much easier call than a lane violation on the block.

EDIT: What I think is more interesting, considering the spirit of the argument, is the intentional foul called. Now that is foul that could potentially get called many times at the end of all of these games, but almost never is.

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2012, 01:45 AM
Charles Barkley was pretty hot about the calls at the end of the game on the postgame show. He even cussed he was so mad.

I thought the calls ruined what could have been an awesome finish to a great day of basketball. I was rooting for Xavier obviously, but I still thought it was bogus. A good official wouldn't have called the lane violation that had no effect on the play. Seems like he really wanted the spotlight on himself at the end. I am sure he will get a stern call from the head official, just like the officials in the Syracuse game. The NCAA wants the March Madness attention to be on the players and the teams, not the officials.

jredmo2
03-17-2012, 01:55 AM
Charles Barkley was pretty hot about the calls at the end of the game on the postgame show. He even cussed he was so mad.

I thought the calls ruined what could have been an awesome finish to a great day of basketball. I was rooting for Xavier obviously, but I still thought it was bogus. A good official wouldn't have called the lane violation that had no effect on the play. Seems like he really wanted the spotlight on himself at the end. I am sure he will get a stern call from the head official, just like the officials in the Syracuse game. The NCAA wants the March Madness attention to be on the players and the teams, not the officials.

But the rule is the rule. It wasn't a blown call. It's not like the head official can criticize a ref for making a correct call. That's more on the head official, if anything, for having such a rule.

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2012, 02:05 AM
But the rule is the rule. It wasn't a blown call. It's not like the head official can criticize a ref for making a correct call. That's more on the head official, if anything, for having such a rule.

He can criticize him for allowing the violation all day, then calling it with 2 seconds left when it didn't affect the play. It is not like the player dashed in there and scored on an offensive rebound. :eek:

jredmo2
03-17-2012, 02:40 AM
He can criticize him for allowing the violation all day, then calling it with 2 seconds left when it didn't affect the play. It is not like the player dashed in there and scored on an offensive rebound. :eek:

Listen, I'm with you. I would have much rather seen that go uncalled and watched the rest of that game go down to the wire. But if that's the rule, that's the rule.

As to whether it goes uncalled all game until the last few minutes, you may very well be right. Like I said, I didn't pay attention (in the many, many games I watched these past two days) until it got called. So you might be right, probably are right, but I haven't personally noticed that call not get called yet.

I'll watch out for it tomorrow, but A) I bet teams have all noted not to do it, and B) it's St. Patty's day, so my powers of perception shall be diminished:beerme:

Either way, great day of games, perhaps the best day ever. Glad things worked out for me that I could log the nearly 13 couch-hours to watch it all. :laugh: Maybe not a point of pride, but what the hell, it was fun.

improbus
03-17-2012, 08:33 AM

ends.

I remember hearing Chris Paul talk about this once. He said that he noticed a player on the team he was playing was constantly breaking that rule. He pointed it out and then the ref called it. Maybe the coaches pointed it out.

Scrap Irony
03-17-2012, 09:59 AM
It's allowed in the NBA, but not college. Which is perhaps why Charles was so angry. (Reggie Miller didn't understand it earlier either when he was railing against the exact same call.)

As to the particular call, it's the right one. Kentucky beat Mississippi State a couple years ago on a John Wall violation that was ignored.

I'm guessing this is a point of emphasis at the end of games for this tournament.

RiverRat13
03-17-2012, 10:01 AM
I'd like to see the evidence that it happened the entire game. I seriously doubt it. If it did, I expect someone will make a Youtube of other instances of the violation happening throughout the game.

Sorry, but that's either a coaching fail or a player fail, not an officiating fail. It just happened the night before!

The intentional foul call was easy.

RiverRat13
03-17-2012, 10:02 AM
It's allowed in the NBA, but not college. Which is perhaps why Charles was so angry. (Reggie Miller didn't understand it earlier either when he was railing against the exact same call.)

Pure conjecture on my part, but I'm guessing had Reggie known the rule and not incorrectly go on and on about it on air that there would not have been near the "controversy" about it afterwards. If you are going to commentate the NCAA Reggie, learn the rules.

Slyder
03-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Pure conjecture on my part, but I'm guessing had Reggie known the rule and not incorrectly go on and on about it on air that there would not have been near the "controversy" about it afterwards. If you are going to commentate the NCAA Reggie, learn the rules.

You got to also think Reggie last played in college what 20-25 years ago? I am just conjecturing that he thought the rule was the same for NBA and NCAA.

Sea Ray
03-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Someone please kick me in the 'nads right now. That would feel better than losing my champion in the first round. I despise Duke. I have hated Duke since I was old enough to hate someone. This year I decided to pick someone other than Kentucky to win the tourney, since everyone was picking the obvious favorite. I figured I would choose Duke to win the tourney, then if I lost I would still be happy. So Coach K (Satan) decided to ruin my bracket in the very first round. I am now the fool who lost his championship pick in the very first freaking round. I hate Coach K now more than ever. I loathe Duke with every ounce of my soul. I didn't know it was possible to hate a team more than I hated Duke yesterday. Well guess what --- it is and I do. I HATE DUKE! I hate them so much I was rooting for them to lose even though it meant I would suffer the humiliation of losing my champion in their first game. I will gladly take last place in the bracket contest just so I can enjoy seeing Duke lose to the #15 seed that had never won an NCAA tourney game before. Duke my hatred burns for you with the fire of a thousand suns. Forever.
:laugh:

It is ironic that Duke managed to screw you to the max even though you hate them and picked 'em anyway. They could have at least won a few rds to help your bracket...

WVRed
03-17-2012, 12:59 PM
When asked who he thought was susceptible to an upset today, Bob Knight replied "The team from the SEC".

Jim Tressel must be giving him one-liners now.

jmac
03-17-2012, 02:07 PM
When asked who he thought was susceptible to an upset today, Bob Knight replied "The team from the SEC".

Jim Tressel must be giving him one-liners now.
Good grief....is that really what he said ?

Mutaman
03-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Granted, it's something I NEVER pay attention to.

Up until the other day it was something the NCAA or any referee with a modicum of common sense never paid attention too.

Mutaman
03-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Then why don't they call the rule on a Thursday night in January when Seton Hall is playing Providence? Why wait until the last second of a key NCAA tourney game? Rediculous.

jmac
03-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Then why don't they call the rule on a Thursday night in January when Seton Hall is playing Providence? Why wait until the last second of a key NCAA tourney game? Rediculous.

Agree with you on this. ;)

VottoFan54
03-17-2012, 04:53 PM
The excitement continues, Ohio State is up 2 on Gonzaga with 2:41 left in the game.

texasdave
03-17-2012, 05:16 PM
So much for K-State beating the 'Cuse. Big East now 7-3.

Brutus
03-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Ohio is one UC win away from a much-anticipated Cincinnati-Ohio State NCAA Tournament game. It's been so close several times in the past 20 years but never materialized. Let's make it happen this time, ya?

reds1869
03-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Ohio is one UC win away from a much-anticipated Cincinnati-Ohio State NCAA Tournament game. It's been so close several times in the past 20 years but never materialized. Let's make it happen this time, ya?

I would have a very hard time choosing sides in that one. :laugh: Even so it would be appointment viewing.

gilpdawg
03-17-2012, 07:00 PM
This Marquette/Murray State game is shaping up to be a classic finish.

VottoFan54
03-17-2012, 07:30 PM
This Marquette/Murray State game is shaping up to be a classic finish.

Didn't turn out to be a classic, but that game was fun to watch. IMO, Canaan took way too many low percentage shots throughout the game. Murray State seemed reliant on jumpers. They didn't drive to the basket or have much of a post game. Marquette played a pretty good game.

Joseph
03-17-2012, 07:56 PM
As a Murray State Alum [and current student technically since I'm taking a couple classes] I hated the end of that game. Murray State had a great season and I think if they played Marquette 10 times its probably 5-5 or 6-4, that how closely matched they were.

Ohayou
03-17-2012, 08:29 PM
I didn't even realize Murray State was in Kentucky. My brother went to Morehead, too. :doh:

Reds Fanatic
03-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Indiana and VCU are going down to the wire. Indiana just took a 2 point lead with 12.7 seconds left.

Mutaman
03-17-2012, 09:45 PM
As a Murray State Alum [and current student technically since I'm taking a couple classes] I hated the end of that game. Murray State had a great season and I think if they played Marquette 10 times its probably 5-5 or 6-4, that how closely matched they were.

Murray is a really nice team and congradts on a great season. But Marquette had a significant advantage-Jae Crowder.

jmac
03-17-2012, 10:16 PM
This Leslie lady that does the sideline reporting for CBS sure isnt Erin Andrews. :laugh:
Not ready when they go to her for interviews and then talks slow and holds the mic away from her while talking.....
Anywho...Cats played a great game tonight offensively ! :thumbup:

traderumor
03-18-2012, 09:42 AM
I must admit that I had lost the faith on the Buckeyes yesterday, had predicted their demise the morning before the game. Glad I was wrong, they played like a #2 seed today.

SunDeck
03-18-2012, 10:05 AM
My wife pronounces Lehigh, "L'high" and was the only one crazy enough to pick them in our pool, which I believe does in fact include a few people currently living in the Dorothea Dix mental institution in Raleigh. But here's the thing that drives me crazy- I used to follow college basketball pretty closely and was always in there at the end of the pool, maybe not winning but always within a couple points. Now that I only watch a handful of games a year, I don't really expect to do well, however I am suddenly way worse at this than my dear, sweet wife, who in the history of our pool has been the well deserved butt of a lot of good natured ribbing due to her unorthodox picks- her explanation of "L'high" she claims is because of her Huguenot roots and she picked Pepperdine in the 2002 Final Four because the school overlooks the beach.
I love her to death, but now that I'm among the pool dregs, I kind of can't stand having her whip me like a rented mule.

dabvu2498
03-18-2012, 10:45 AM
My wife pronounces Lehigh, "L'high" and was the only one crazy enough to pick them in our pool, which I believe does in fact include a few people currently living in the Dorothea Dix mental institution in Raleigh. But here's the thing that drives me crazy- I used to follow college basketball pretty closely and was always in there at the end of the pool, maybe not winning but always within a couple points. Now that I only watch a handful of games a year, I don't really expect to do well, however I am suddenly way worse at this than my dear, sweet wife, who in the history of our pool has been the well deserved butt of a lot of good natured ribbing due to her unorthodox picks- her explanation of "L'high" she claims is because of her Huguenot roots and she picked Pepperdine in the 2002 Final Four because the school overlooks the beach.
I love her to death, but now that I'm among the pool dregs, I kind of can't stand having her whip me like a rented mule.

My mother has beaten me in our family pool for 6 straight years. The only games she watches all year are UK games.

WMR
03-18-2012, 11:02 AM
My mother has beaten me in our family pool for 6 straight years. The only games she watches all year are UK games.

Sounds like a lovely woman. :D

SunDeck
03-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Something probably sunk in; she's gotten to watch some pretty good basketball over the years.

VottoFan54
03-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Michigan State made me way too nervous during that game.

texasdave
03-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Maybe it is just me but Michigan State seems to cruise in under the radar year after year. But you look up and there they are late in the tourney. Once again, probably just my perception of things.

VottoFan54
03-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Maybe I am biased, but didn't anyone else think they were calling that game pretty tight? They weren't letting MSU play their physical defense.

Reds Fanatic
03-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Major injury for North Carolina as Kendall Marshall broke his wrist in the game today.

improbus
03-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Maybe I am biased, but didn't anyone else think they were calling that game pretty tight? They weren't letting MSU play their physical defense.

You mean the Bad Boy Pistons, "Foul until they decide to stop calling fouls because the game will never end" defense?

Stray
03-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Really tough break for UNC. Even if he's able to play, you gotta think he won't be nearly as effective. I think the Midwest is now Kansas' for the taking.

improbus
03-18-2012, 08:44 PM
If I didn't love OU, I would have turned this game off about an hour ago. These teams are playing some of the ugliest hoops I've ever seen. I'm very tempted to turn on an NBA game.

improbus
03-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Really tough break for UNC. Even if he's able to play, you gotta think he won't be nearly as effective. I think the Midwest is now Kansas' for the taking.

You meant Ohio's for the taking. I know it was an honest oversight.

redhawkfish
03-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Congrats to the Bobcats!!:thumbup:

Reds Fanatic
03-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Ohio headed to the sweet 16 for the first time in 48 years

VottoFan54
03-18-2012, 10:00 PM
You mean the Bad Boy Pistons, "Foul until they decide to stop calling fouls because the game will never end" defense?

:laugh: Yeah, that defense. In all seriousness, I don't think that Michigan State is as physical as the people on here make them out to be. It just seemed like they were getting called for a lot of borderline fouls (many of which were off the ball). FWIW, St. Louis shot 23 free throws and Michigan State shot 17 free throws (10 of which were in the final 75 seconds).

The games going on right now are good. Robbie Hummel is going off against Kansas. Purdue is up 36-30. Hummel has 22 points. Lehigh and Xavier are also in a close game. Cincy vs FSU just got underway as well.

Boston Red
03-18-2012, 10:23 PM
A very Ohio Sweet Sixteen. Your turn UC.

reds1869
03-18-2012, 10:28 PM

It is amazing how many of the Sweet Sixteen teams are from Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.

OUReds
03-18-2012, 10:34 PM
At times, the tournament is transcendental.

Newport Red
03-18-2012, 10:39 PM
It is amazing how many of the Sweet Sixteen teams are from Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.

I read a stream that no team from the mountain or pacific time zone are left.

WMR
03-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Wow, that PG for Purdue is freaking horrible.

What an epic choke job by Purdue.

jmac
03-18-2012, 11:19 PM
It always gets me how so many teams try and run the clock down, knowing the other team will still get the ball again.
Seems they either turn it over or have a bad shot 80 % of the time.
Purdue didnt handle the final minute well imo.

Boston Red
03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I read a stream that no team from the mountain or pacific time zone are left.

I guess that's right....but Waco, TX has to be close to the Western edge of the Central time zone.

EDIT: I was actually thinking of Lubbock. Waco's not that far west.

dougdirt
03-18-2012, 11:43 PM
This Cincinnati/Florida State game is sloppy, sloppy and sloppy. The refs are not doing a good job. Florida State is getting every single call. Bearcats are playing like a bunch of freshmen from a mental standpoint.

MWM
03-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Purdue must have thought they could run the clock out with 59 seconds left. They didn't even get a good shot off in the last minute. They play brilliantly for 59 minutes and freeze in the last. Too bad.

KronoRed
03-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Purdue tried to run the clock out for the last 4 minutes, horrible coaching job.

paintmered
03-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Purdue tried to run the clock out for the last 4 minutes, horrible coaching job.

I have co-workers who went to Purdue and Kansas. They sit next to each other.

I'm probably going to avoid them both tomorrow.

dougdirt
03-18-2012, 11:56 PM
I have co-workers who went to Purdue and Kansas. They sit next to each other.

I'm probably going to avoid them both tomorrow.

They might want to avoid each other as well....

paintmered
03-18-2012, 11:57 PM
I might as well plan on getting zero sleep tonight. COME ON, CATS!

KronoRed
03-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Haha, the nolies coming unglued.

MWM
03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Did that FSU guy really stop playing to complain to the refs? That was bizarre...and pretty damn funny. Not sure I've seen that before. He just stopped dribbling, grabbed the ball and took a few steps.

KronoRed
03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Did that FSU guy really stop playing to complain to the refs? That was bizarre...and pretty damn funny. Not sure I've seen that before. He just stopped dribbling, grabbed the ball and took a few steps.

That's exactly what he did, what was he thinking? :laugh:

WMR
03-19-2012, 12:09 AM
UC has NEVER beaten a higher seed in NCAAT? That's crazy.

UC v. OSU should be interesting.

KronoRed
03-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Now UC doing some bizarre things.

paintmered
03-19-2012, 12:13 AM

Happy to oblige :)

Reds Fanatic
03-19-2012, 12:14 AM
What a game. UC advances to the sweet sixteen. Four Ohio teams in the sweet sixteen.

paintmered
03-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Oh right, Bucks and Bearcats get to tee it off now. This should lead to some awkward family moments...

Stray
03-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Holy crap

Chip R
03-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Oh right, Bucks and Bearcats get to tee it off now. This should lead to some awkward family moments...

When is the last time they played? 60? 61?

paintmered
03-19-2012, 12:22 AM
When is the last time they played? 60? 61?

There was that matchup in Indy a few years ago when UC had to have Connor Barwin start at center. That one leaves a very sour taste in the mouths of UC fans since it was the first time Ohio State agreed to play since UC beat them in the finals. OSU was at their highest, UC at their lowest.

Chip R
03-19-2012, 12:24 AM
There was that matchup in Indy a few years ago when UC had to have Connor Barwin start at center. That one leaves a very sour taste in the mouths of UC fans since it was the first time Ohio State agreed to play since UC beat them in the finals. OSU was at their highest, UC at their lowest.

Oh yeah. Thanks.

Brutus
03-19-2012, 12:49 AM

Ohio State agreed to play it, but it was also because it was organized by a third party. I don't think Ohio State would have even agreed to playing Cincinnati at home that year in a normally-scheduled game.

Ohayou
03-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Everybody would probably hate college basketball for the rest of its existence if there was a Xavier/Cincinnati championship game. :laugh:

SunDeck
03-19-2012, 07:11 AM
I think it's going to be fun to watch Sullinger and Gates in the paint.