PDA

View Full Version : 2012 College Coaching Carousel

WVRed
03-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Two openings so far, as Darrin Horn was just fired by South Carolina, and Bruce Weber was fired by Illinois earlier this week.

The prospective head coaches for each team are facing each other in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The rumor is Gregg Marshall (Wichita State) to South Carolina while Shaka Smart (VCU) to Illinois.

Boston Red
03-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Two?

Brown, Canisius, Eastern Illinois, Idaho State, Illinois, Miami(OH), Mt. St. Mary's, Northern Arizona, Rhode Island, SMU, South Carolina, Southern Illinois, and Winthrop all have openings.

Boston Red
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
BTW, there's no way Gregg Marshall is leaving Shocker State for South Carolina.

dabvu2498
03-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Isn't Nebraska open as well???

medford
03-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Didn't nebraska open up?

Would Mic Cronin's former AD hire him at Illinois, would Mic leave his hometown school for Illinois

Reds4Life
03-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Didn't nebraska open up?

Would Mic Cronin's former AD hire him at Illinois, would Mic leave his hometown school for Illinois

I don't see Cronin leaving UC unless he is fired.

Sea Ray
03-13-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't see Cronin leaving UC unless he is fired.

That's the nice thing about Cronin. Since he's got ties here, you don't have to worry very much about him leveraging another school to get out of UC. He admitted it's his dream job. I'd be very surprised if he left anytime soon

VottoFan54
03-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Two openings so far, as Darrin Horn was just fired by South Carolina, and Bruce Weber was fired by Illinois earlier this week.

The prospective head coaches for each team are facing each other in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The rumor is Gregg Marshall (Wichita State) to South Carolina while Shaka Smart (VCU) to Illinois.

IMO, Shaka Smart would be a heck of a hire for Illinois.

bucksfan2
03-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Soon we will enter the time of year where a coach who has it made at his mid major decides to leave for a rebuilding program at a major, yet unflattering major, only to get fired years later.

It works for some people but seems like it doesn't work in other places. Look at Gonzaga for example. With the exception of John Stocton no one had ever heard about the school until their Elite 8 run a number of years ago. Dan Munson left for greener pastures at Minnesota, only to see Mark Few turn the program into a top 25 college basektball destination.

Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Gregg Marshall, Chris Mack, etc. all have it made at their school. The schools are dedicated to basektball, have nice facilities, and they are the talk of the town. Shaka only needs to look at Jason Chappel to see what happens when you spurn a good job for a Missouri. Often times it just doesn't work out.

cumberlandreds
03-14-2012, 08:34 AM
Isn't Nebraska open as well???

Yep. Doc Sadler got the ax Saturday. Nebraska and South Carolina are nearly unwinnable places. Does anyone in Nebraska care at all about basketball? I read this morning South Carolina hadn't won an NCAA tournament game since 1973. Whoever takes these two jobs needs to think long and hard about it. They could be career killers.

bucksfan2
03-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Yep. Doc Sadler got the ax Saturday. Nebraska and South Carolina are nearly unwinnable places. Does anyone in Nebraska care at all about basketball? I read this morning South Carolina hadn't won an NCAA tournament game since 1973. Whoever takes these two jobs needs to think long and hard about it. They could be career killers.

Dan Dakich during broadcasts said Nebraska had one of the best practice facilities he has ever been in. It wasn't too long ago that places like Baylor and KSU were thought of as unwinnable places while St. Johns and Depaul were thought of as great places to coach.

dabvu2498
03-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Dan Dakich during broadcasts said Nebraska had one of the best practice facilities he has ever been in. It wasn't too long ago that places like Baylor and KSU were thought of as unwinnable places while St. Johns and Depaul were thought of as great places to coach.

South Carolina has a beautiful facility as well.

RichRed
03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Shaka Smart has family in Chicago and his wife got her Master's from Northwestern. You'd have to think he'll at least consider an offer from Illinois. Smart is also a filthy Cubs fan, which only proves that nobody's perfect.

Sea Ray
03-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Soon we will enter the time of year where a coach who has it made at his mid major decides to leave for a rebuilding program at a major, yet unflattering major, only to get fired years later.

That's true but they also get such a boatload of money in bonuses, buyouts etc that they're set for life financially. It's not a bad consolation prize.

If you were offered what you knew would be a very stressful and challenging job for a four yr commitment but you knew no matter what happened you'd be set financially for life, would you bite? I think most of us would

dabvu2498
03-14-2012, 02:53 PM
That's true but they also get such a boatload of money in bonuses, buyouts etc that they're set for life financially. It's not a bad consolation prize.

If you were offered what you knew would be a very stressful and challenging job for a four yr commitment but you knew no matter what happened you'd be set financially for life, would you bite? I think most of us would

True, plus there's something in the way a lot of these coaches are wired that makes them always look for the next challenge. It's why so many have made the leap to the pros. It's why a guy like Horn thinks "what I do worked at WKU; it will work at USC also."

Slyder
03-14-2012, 03:15 PM
True, plus there's something in the way a lot of these coaches are wired that makes them always look for the next challenge. It's why so many have made the leap to the pros. It's why a guy like Horn thinks "what I do worked at WKU; it will work at USC also."

Example Beilein, John been successful every stop he's made. Never been anywhere more than 4-5 years.

WVRed
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
BTW, there's no way Gregg Marshall is leaving Shocker State for South Carolina.

Marshall is from South Carolina, so that may pull a few strings. From reading other teams message boards, Marshall is choice A, B, C, and D for the Gamecocks.

Shaka to Illinois has been mentioned given the ties of Illinois AD to Smart when both worked together at Akron I believe.

dabvu2498
03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Example Beilein, John been successful every stop he's made. Never been anywhere more than 4-5 years.

Calipari is Exhibit A, B and C.

It's amazing how many guys who had mid-major success have flopped when they hit the "big time." Someone before mentioned Monson. Add Horn, Todd Lickliter, Jerry Wainright, on and on.

Would certainly give you pause if you had a really good thing going at a mid-major and got a job offer at a place like South Carolina or Nebraska.

That said, I think Illinois can be a big time program again. It has some advantages (tradition and a recruiting base) those other two places don't. And Shaka is as good a guy as any to give a shot there.

Hoosier Red
03-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Calipari is Exhibit A, B and C.

It's amazing how many guys who had mid-major success have flopped when they hit the "big time." Someone before mentioned Monson. Add Horn, Todd Lickliter, Jerry Wainright, on and on.

Would certainly give you pause if you had a really good thing going at a mid-major and got a job offer at a place like South Carolina or Nebraska.

That said, I think Illinois can be a big time program again. It has some advantages (tradition and a recruiting base) those other two places don't. And Shaka is as good a guy as any to give a shot there.

The more I listen to coaches, the more I think one major difference between them and the vast majority of schlubs isn't in basketball knowledge but in an overwhelming confidence and optimistic outlook. The down side to this is they are never satisfied if there is a bigger challenge to conquer.

Part of the reason Shaka Smart has been successful is that not only did he not look at VCU going to the Final Four as impossible, but he was so confident in his own ability and in his team that he was able to inspire them to believe it as well.

This leads to the peter principle of coaching, but I simply don't think high level performers are hard wired to seriously contemplate what will make them fail.

Scrap Irony
03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
While that may indeed be part of it, basketball is perhaps the most difficult game to coach properly. In baseball, there's not much you can do as a manager to change the game. Same thing in football, largely. In soccer, either your guys can play or they can't.

But in basketball, the right coach makes his team much better, IMO. The mismatches and alternating styles of play a coach can employ make it so, I think. You could theoretically go (or go against) 2-3 zone, 3-2 zone, 1-3-1 zone, 3-2 zone trap, 2-3 zone trap, man-to-man full court, full press, deny press, deny man-to-man, goal line man-to-man, deny the post, not to mention all the trick or garbage defenses like box and one or triangle and two.

You have to prepare your guys for all of it and have a system in place for all of it. You also have to recognize when to substitute, when and how much to needle the refs, when to call time-outs, et al.

I've coached football, baseball, and basketball, and the latter is definitely the most challenging.

Hoosier Red
03-15-2012, 12:34 PM
While that may indeed be part of it, basketball is perhaps the most difficult game to coach properly. In baseball, there's not much you can do as a manager to change the game. Same thing in football, largely. In soccer, either your guys can play or they can't.

But in basketball, the right coach makes his team much better, IMO. The mismatches and alternating styles of play a coach can employ make it so, I think. You could theoretically go (or go against) 2-3 zone, 3-2 zone, 1-3-1 zone, 3-2 zone trap, 2-3 zone trap, man-to-man full court, full press, deny press, deny man-to-man, goal line man-to-man, deny the post, not to mention all the trick or garbage defenses like box and one or triangle and two.

You have to prepare your guys for all of it and have a system in place for all of it. You also have to recognize when to substitute, when and how much to needle the refs, when to call time-outs, et al.

I've coached football, baseball, and basketball, and the latter is definitely the most challenging.

Oh sure, I don't mean to make it sound as if it's not challenging. But there's no specific knowledge coaches have which can't be learned. It's not as if a coach has devised a system that can't be defeated, or else everyone would be mimicking the system.
What makes coaches successful(in all walks) is their ability to clearly communicate whatever strategy they are using and to get their players to perform that strategy.

My larger point was that it's next to impossible to ask a "hot commodity" coach to consider the chances of success, because if they had spent much time contemplating their relatively low chances of success, they'd never have gotten to the point where they were a hot commodity.

dabvu2498
03-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Everyone's favorite, Rick Stansbury, is allegedly out at Mississippi State.

George Foster
03-17-2012, 12:33 AM
Everyone's favorite, Rick Stansbury, is allegedly out at Mississippi State.

Now HE will have a front row ticket if he wants to watch UK games...yes sir!

...(Quote at presser before UK game this year) Mississippi State Coach Rick Stansbury took a couple of shots at his former player Twany Beckham today. As reported by the Courier Journal, Stansbury said:

“I saw his stats the other day in SEC play. Did he make one or attempt one shot?”

This was then followed by:

“He’s seeing some pretty good basketball. He’s getting a front-row ticket every night. Yes, sir.”

Karma.....sucks!:laugh::laugh:

dabvu2498
03-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Shaka Smart turned down Illinois. So did Anthony Grant, allegedly. Where do the Illini turn from here?

RichRed
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Shaka Smart turned down Illinois. So did Anthony Grant, allegedly. Where do the Illini turn from here?

Lorenzo Romar or Leonard Hamilton, perhaps. Well, Hamilton really wants it but he's 63 and Illinois may want to go younger than that.

Revering4Blue
03-21-2012, 03:01 PM
I've heard Reggie Theus's name mentioned for the Illini job. The next coach needs to recruit the Chicago area more successfully than Weber, or it will not matter who the next hire is.

medford
03-21-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm surprised Shaka turned down Illinois, I would have thought they'd have everything he'd want. good for VCU.

Would Brad Stevens take the gig, knowing that IU isn't going to open up anytime soon now that they've turned the corner.

Wichita State's head coach?

I've seen rumbling of Brian Gregory, but that doesn't make much sense

Chris Mooney? Scott Drew? Steve Alford?

dabvu2498
03-21-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm surprised Shaka turned down Illinois, I would have thought they'd have everything he'd want. good for VCU.

Would Brad Stevens take the gig, knowing that IU isn't going to open up anytime soon now that they've turned the corner.

I've seen rumbling of Brian Gregory, but that doesn't make much sense

Chris Mooney? Scott Drew? Steve Alford?

The article I read said they are really after a minority coach. They've never had a minority as men's basketball or football head coach.

Chip R
03-21-2012, 04:02 PM

I heard he is staying put.

dabvu2498
03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Turns out Cuonzo Martin might want the Illinois job. That would be a good hire for them.

And it would please me greatly to have him gone from the SEC. He knows what he's doing.

Assembly Hall
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Turns out Cuonzo Martin might want the Illinois job. That would be a good hire for them.

And it would please me greatly to have him gone from the SEC. He knows what he's doing.

Where did you read that at? I would find that hard to believe, but hey ya never know. BTW, those former Purdue players can be pains in butts, cant they?

I think the Illinois is a great job. But this the wrong time to be getting your feet wet in the B1G. Depending on early entries........Ohio ST, Indiana, and Michigan are stacked and that doesnt include their recruiting classes coming in next year. MSU has a great class coming in. Wisconsin will be Wisconsin. Purdue has a solid class coming in. Iowa is on the rise and Minnesota will be in the mix somewhere.

Tubby and Carmondy are on hot seats. I dont know if the Illini fans will be patient enough to give a coach 3-4 years to get it together.

dabvu2498
03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Where did you read that at? I would find that hard to believe, but hey ya never know. BTW, those former Purdue players can be pains in butts, cant they?

I think the Illinois is a great job. But this the wrong time to be getting your feet wet in the B1G. Depending on early entries........Ohio ST, Indiana, and Michigan are stacked and that doesnt include their recruiting classes coming in next year. MSU has a great class coming in. Wisconsin will be Wisconsin. Purdue has a solid class coming in. Iowa is on the rise and Minnesota will be in the mix somewhere.

Tubby and Carmondy are on hot seats. I dont know if the Illini fans will be patient enough to give a coach 3-4 years to get it together.

http://www.csnchicago.com/ncaa/news/Source-Cuonzo-Martin-interested-in-Illin?blockID=673826&feedID=661

Sounds like, in retrospect, it was just a bit of over zealous "journalism."

Assembly Hall
03-21-2012, 08:39 PM
http://www.csnchicago.com/ncaa/news/Source-Cuonzo-Martin-interested-in-Illin?blockID=673826&feedID=661

Sounds like, in retrospect, it was just a bit of over zealous "journalism."

LOL.....I see what you are saying. But there are some truths in there. And there is some stuff that has been left out.

I think Illinois is a great job. But I think the fan base there expects too much. Martin would be great there, if he is willing to walk into a pressure cooker.

WVRed
03-21-2012, 10:24 PM
LOL.....I see what you are saying. But there are some truths in there. And there is some stuff that has been left out.

I think Illinois is a great job. But I think the fan base there expects too much. Martin would be great there, if he is willing to walk into a pressure cooker.

Someone I'll throw in as a wildcard for the Illinois job is UK assistant Kenny Payne, although he may be a more likely candidate for Mississippi State.

Payne is a great recruiter and IIRC has ties to the Chicago area, which is how he brought in Anthony Davis. Assembly Hall is right in that the fans in Illinois expect too much, especially when Calipari has picked off the two top prospects to come out of the state in Davis and Derrick Rose.

Whoever gets that job will have Chicago in their backyard as a recruiting ground. Craig Robinson would be an interesting name to throw out just on politics alone (his sister, Michelle, is married to some guy named Barack who's pretty popular in Illinois).

dabvu2498
03-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Someone I'll throw in as a wildcard for the Illinois job is UK assistant Kenny Payne, although he may be a more likely candidate for Mississippi State.

Payne is a great recruiter and IIRC has ties to the Chicago area, which is how he brought in Anthony Davis. Assembly Hall is right in that the fans in Illinois expect too much, especially when Calipari has picked off the two top prospects to come out of the state in Davis and Derrick Rose.

Whoever gets that job will have Chicago in their backyard as a recruiting ground. Craig Robinson would be an interesting name to throw out just on politics alone (his sister, Michelle, is married to some guy named Barack who's pretty popular in Illinois).

Payne has not been a head coach before. He'd be a tough sell as a head coach at either of those two places, imo.

Assembly Hall
03-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Good stuff WVRed..........but honestly that has been the Illini's problem in my lifetime. They cant get the Chicagoland boys. DePaul used to do it. But not Illinois.

Shaka is great coach at the mid-major level, as is Stevens and several others.
But if I was on the "hiring" committe I would be looking at proven coaches that have big time basketball environment experience with the pressures that comes with it. And familiar with the landscape of the Big 10.

Rick Majerus?????? Tommy Ammaker?????? Buzz Williams?????? Steve Lavin???? Lon Kruger????????

Just throwing some names out there. Guys with proven track records that are at maybe lesser programs than Illinois.

WVRed
03-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Payne has not been a head coach before. He'd be a tough sell as a head coach at either of those two places, imo.

Mississippi State more likely than Illinois.

Payne is from Mississippi and is a leading candidate. Payne and Sean Woods are the top two candidates from what I've been reading.

WVRed
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Looks like K-State has an opening to fill. I have a feeling there is fire following the smoke in Manhattan.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7739256/frank-martin-leaves-kansas-state-wildcats-become-south-carolina-gamecocks-coach

This should be a red flag:

Martin had made headlines Monday for another reason. Speaking during Sunday's broadcast of the NCAA tournament on CBS, he said that he regularly paid collegiate players who had played for him in high school when they had nowhere else to turn.

Working as an analyst on the telecast Sunday, Martin seemed to be making a case for better compensating collegiate players in need as he defended Kansas State senior Jamar Samuels, who was held out of the Wildcats' final game because of an eligibility concern.

"I coached 16 years in the same inner city in Miami that I grew up in. Do you know how much money I sent to kids that played for me in high school when they were in college because I knew where they came from?" Martin said, according to a transcript of the broadcast published by the Kansas City Star. "I knew they didn't have a father figure."

Assembly Hall
03-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Martin wouldnt even be at K-State if it wouldnt have been for Huggins. Dont know what possible violations might be awaiting. I am surprised more coaches dont go to the SEC. Used to be Kentucky period. Billy has FLA built up. Kevin as well at Vandy. UT looks good at the present. Soon to expand to 14, and it is a football conference minus UK. Heck, I am going to apply for the Miss St job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Todd Gack
03-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Looks like K-State has an opening to fill. I have a feeling there is fire following the smoke in Manhattan.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7739256/frank-martin-leaves-kansas-state-wildcats-become-south-carolina-gamecocks-coach

This should be a red flag:

Martin was trying to get out last year. Apparently he and the AD don't get along too well. It should tell you something considering USCeast might be the worst job in the SEC.

Donder
03-27-2012, 08:13 AM
I heard yesterday that Illinois is looking at Ohio's Groce.

Assembly Hall
03-27-2012, 09:36 AM
I heard yesterday that Illinois is looking at Ohio's Groce.

Yes, that is what has been going around. He very well might be a good fit. He has B1G experience, is familiar with the area, and from what I have seen has a good personality.

bucksfan2
03-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Yes, that is what has been going around. He very well might be a good fit. He has B1G experience, is familiar with the area, and from what I have seen has a good personality.

If I am Groce I may stick around for one more year. Illinois is a nice job, but a mess right now. Groce has his entire starting lineup back next season. He has a top tier PG returning along with a bunch of nice other players. Its really the type of season that you dream about. Coming off a Sweet 16 run where you played against the best and having all those guys back.

That said $$$$$ often speak louder than common sense.

Assembly Hall
03-27-2012, 10:16 AM
If I am Groce I may stick around for one more year. Illinois is a nice job, but a mess right now. Groce has his entire starting lineup back next season. He has a top tier PG returning along with a bunch of nice other players. Its really the type of season that you dream about. Coming off a Sweet 16 run where you played against the best and having all those guys back.

That said $$$$$ often speak louder than common sense.

Right on!:thumbup: Illinois is a nice job, but the fan base there thinks it is better than what it is. I hope Groce stays at Ohio, he will be on a short leash if he takes the Illini job.

medford
03-27-2012, 10:23 AM
He's got to look at more than just money. Say he's offered the Illinois job this year, but turns it down. Even if he has an equally successful season next year, there is no garuntee he's offered a similar job next year, sometimes you have to jump when the iron's hot, if that is you goal.

Its obviously impossible to know which jobs will open up next season, but many knew Webber was on the hot seat at the end of last season, so there are some places you know where the seat is hot enough that 1 false step and it opens up.

P12 obviously has several canditates, but only 2 that would be on par or above Illinois. Would Groce even take a job out west is the first question. The biggest possibility is UCLA, but I have my doubts they'd take a mid west guy. The other possibility is Arizona as I've heard rumblings that Sean Miller isn't all enamored with living in Tucson, but that would take a sizable opening back in the East, I'd put the odds of that job opening up at less than 5%.

B12, Missouri, depending on Haith's ties to the Miami scandal and what breaks from that is a possibility. Of course they'll be SEC next year, which creates a different dynamic, but I'd put that job on par with illinois, or at least in the ball park with out doing much research. Don't see much else from the current B12 that I'd put on par w/ Illinois.

B10, there's several jobs in the B10 that I'd consider on par, or better than Illinois, just none that I see opening up. OSU, Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Purdue and Wisconsin all seem firlmy entrechened with their current staff, baring a scandal breaking out. If the scandal's big enough to fire the entrenched coach, there's going to be some struggles out of the gate that Illinois doesn't have today.

SEC, neither UK nor Florida are opening up anytime soon, I'm not sure there's anothe program in the SEC on par with Illinois.

ACC, Massive headwinds created by UNC & Duke, neither of which is opening up next year, not that they'd hire Groce anyways. The Marylands, NC States GTechs of the ACC that might be on a similar level all have new coaches, wouldn't expect an opening anywhere in the ACC that is more attractive than Illinois next year.

Big East, Syracuse & Uconn could both open up due to retirement/scandal. Would be tough to replace a legend in either spot, not sure what coaching ties either school has to current coaches that they may turn to first. You wouldn't think Pitt would get rid of Dixon, but my gut tells me he's on shakier ground he should be, that would be a good fit as they prepare for the ACC.

At the end of the day, Illinois may well be the only opening in the next 2 seasons that Groce has a shot at, what lies beyond next year for OU, he may have little choice but to grab the cheese today, knowing that OU is in good shape for the next guy.

Assembly Hall
03-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Good stuff medford, I really enjoyed reading that.

You are absolutely right about timing.

I really dont know how many mid-major head coaches have made the jump to big time programs and had success. Bill Self, Steve Alford, Matt Painter, Kevin Stallings, etc.... But I would presume more have failed....Todd Licklighter, Barry Collier, John Pelfrey, Dan Munson...etc.... Just throwing names out there off the top of my head that I am familiar with.

I really like what Matta did. He inheritated a good program at Butler. Continued with their success. Jumped to Xavier, once again taking over a good program. Excelled with their success. Jumped to OSU, a program that was reeling and built them to their former days.

Matta sort of "climbed the ladder". I really think that there are stepping stones for Groce available this year. If the guy can coach, he will succeed. And then become even a bigger comodity.

I dont know of all the schools that have vacancies right now, but I know there are a few out there that would be a step above Ohio and a step below Illinois.

But at the end of the day sometimes it becomes about timing and money.

Hoosier Red
03-27-2012, 01:27 PM
That's tough metric though AH. Most coaching hires fail. I don't think coaches who come from mid major schools are more prone to failure than any other type of hire.

Any coach who makes it as a head coach at even the worst mid major school has beaten the odds to get that far. So if you're at a mid major school and being offered a top level job, there's no reason to think you'll be Todd Lickliter.

I do think it makes sense for a mid level coach to gauge how serious the top level program is in terms of resources anadministration support is going to be. John Groce can compete in the MAC with a mid level budget, but I don't think he can compete in the B1G with a mid level budget. In fact, if they aren't going to commit to a 1st level committment, it doesn't matter who is coaching. (See Minnesota)

Assembly Hall
03-30-2012, 08:03 AM
That's tough metric though AH. Most coaching hires fail. I don't think coaches who come from mid major schools are more prone to failure than any other type of hire.

Any coach who makes it as a head coach at even the worst mid major school has beaten the odds to get that far. So if you're at a mid major school and being offered a top level job, there's no reason to think you'll be Todd Lickliter.

I do think it makes sense for a mid level coach to gauge how serious the top level program is in terms of resources anadministration support is going to be. John Groce can compete in the MAC with a mid level budget, but I don't think he can compete in the B1G with a mid level budget. In fact, if they aren't going to commit to a 1st level committment, it doesn't matter who is coaching. (See Minnesota)

It seems as though I am going back to the "expectation" card! LOL

Lickliter didnt do his homework very well. He replaced Alford at Iowa. I thought Steve did a great job with the Hawks. But the fans wanted more and basically ran him out of Iowa City. But that's nothing new there....ask Lute Olsen, George Raveling, and Dr. Tom Davis. Lickliter was doomed to fail in an atmosphere where the fan base thinks they should be winning 20 games every year and competing for a national championship all the time.

Minnesota has tasted success in the past but it was always with a black cloud hanging over it. Munson, came in there and had mild success. But the fans started wanting more. Tubby comes in with a heckuva resume, has them being competitive but they still want more.

To me Illinois, is no different than the two above. Seems as though the fans think they are some sort of perenniel power, which is not the case. I just hope that this is not kiss of death for Groce.

bucksfan2
03-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Lickliter didnt do his homework very well. He replaced Alford at Iowa. I thought Steve did a great job with the Hawks. But the fans wanted more and basically ran him out of Iowa City. But that's nothing new there....ask Lute Olsen, George Raveling, and Dr. Tom Davis. Lickliter was doomed to fail in an atmosphere where the fan base thinks they should be winning 20 games every year and competing for a national championship all the time.

Minnesota has tasted success in the past but it was always with a black cloud hanging over it. Munson, came in there and had mild success. But the fans started wanting more. Tubby comes in with a heckuva resume, has them being competitive but they still want more.

To me Illinois, is no different than the two above. Seems as though the fans think they are some sort of perenniel power, which is not the case. I just hope that this is not kiss of death for Groce.

I think Illinois is a decent job. In the BIG I would rank it behind MSU, OSU, and Illinois. I think the Job itself could be comparable to Wisconsin and maybe a little behind Michigan. I think the fatal lure of Illinois is Chicago, an area that no one has a stranglehold on, but everyone thinks Illinois should. Its why DePaul has always had a lure, but Chicago really is up for grabs. Heck Thad Matta has recruited that area hard and pretty well recently.

Sea Ray
03-30-2012, 09:03 AM

Appreciate the compliment. I hope he stays at UT awhile

Assembly Hall
03-30-2012, 09:49 AM
I think Illinois is a decent job. In the BIG I would rank it behind MSU, OSU, and Illinois. I think the Job itself could be comparable to Wisconsin and maybe a little behind Michigan. I think the fatal lure of Illinois is Chicago, an area that no one has a stranglehold on, but everyone thinks Illinois should. Its why DePaul has always had a lure, but Chicago really is up for grabs. Heck Thad Matta has recruited that area hard and pretty well recently.

I think you have a typo in there. I think you meant to say MSU, OSU, and Indiana?

I look at it from my viewpoint and in my lifetime. Every school in the B1G has been in the Final Four minus Nortwestern(never been in the NCAA), Penn State and Nebraska(the two newest members). To me that means there are 9 decent jobs within the conference.

If I were to rank them I would put Indiana 1st due to the fact they won championships with two different coaches and reached another championship with a third. Michigan St. 2nd for winning 2 titles with different coaches. Ohio St. 3rd. Michigan 4th. Purdue 5th. Wisconsin 6th......they won a title in the early days and went to a FF under Dick Bennett but quite frankly Bo is the one that has them as an annual Top 25 team. Illinois would be 7th.....ahead of Iowa and Minnesota. Just my thoughts.

Illinois just cant get Chicago kids. They never have. Chicago kids seem to have no bond with the Illini. Now if they developed some sort of pipeline to that region, then they would be a power. But then again if St. John's got all the NYC kids they would be a power.

bucksfan2
03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I think you have a typo in there. I think you meant to say MSU, OSU, and Indiana?

I look at it from my viewpoint and in my lifetime. Every school in the B1G has been in the Final Four minus Nortwestern(never been in the NCAA), Penn State and Nebraska(the two newest members). To me that means there are 9 decent jobs within the conference.

If I were to rank them I would put Indiana 1st due to the fact they won championships with two different coaches and reached another championship with a third. Michigan St. 2nd for winning 2 titles with different coaches. Ohio St. 3rd. Michigan 4th. Purdue 5th. Wisconsin 6th......they won a title in the early days and went to a FF under Dick Bennett but quite frankly Bo is the one that has them as an annual Top 25 team. Illinois would be 7th.....ahead of Iowa and Minnesota. Just my thoughts.

Illinois just cant get Chicago kids. They never have. Chicago kids seem to have no bond with the Illini. Now if they developed some sort of pipeline to that region, then they would be a power. But then again if St. John's got all the NYC kids they would be a power.

I meant Indiana and not Illinois, you are right.

Biased huh? I would rank OSU and MSU the top two programs in the BIG and it isn't even close. MSU is the most recent champion and they won it in 2000 (?). Incoming freshmen were 5 or 6 at the time. If you mention Bob Knight most of those kids would say old crumudgeon and may mostly remember Texas Tech. OSU and MSU place kids in the pros, who was IU's most recent pro, Jared Jeffries? I can really only speak to OSU's facilities but they are comparable with the NBA, very few teams can offer that.

Dwight K Schrute is a good coach for IU, but I would rank them behind OSU and MSU and its not really close. The one thing Illinois has going for it is they aren't on NCAA probation (like IU and OSU when Matta and Crean took over) and they have a nice big man, if he stays.

Hoosier Red
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM

Biased huh? I would rank OSU and MSU the top two programs in the BIG and it isn't even close. MSU is the most recent champion and they won it in 2000 (?). Incoming freshmen were 5 or 6 at the time. If you mention Bob Knight most of those kids would say old crumudgeon and may mostly remember Texas Tech. OSU and MSU place kids in the pros, who was IU's most recent pro, Jared Jeffries? I can really only speak to OSU's facilities but they are comparable with the NBA, very few teams can offer that.

Dwight K Schrute is a good coach for IU, but I would rank them behind OSU and MSU and its not really close. The one thing Illinois has going for it is they aren't on NCAA probation (like IU and OSU when Matta and Crean took over) and they have a nice big man, if he stays.

In terms of a natural recruiting base and resources, I'd probably put IU ahead of Michigan State for only one reason. Because Michigan puts a boat load of money into its basketball program, it's probably more of a threat to MSU's ability to lock down the state than Purdue is to Indiana. Of course that's dependent on Michign getting it's stuff together which they've alternately done and not done for the past 20 years.

I agree that because tOSU has no true rival in many of the cities in Ohio,(even UC recruits more on the East coast then the rest of Ohio) and has more money to dedicate to basketball then pretty much anyone else, it's the top job for an aspiring coach.

IU has history, and a dedicated fan base, but almost no money outside of what it can generate for itself.

Hoosier Red
03-30-2012, 10:57 AM
In terms of Illinois, I think it has all the potential to be a great great job.
That's been hampered by substandard coaches over the last 20 years. The only above average coach to man the home sidelines was Bill Self, and he was gone after 3 seasons.

dabvu2498
03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Appreciate the compliment. I hope he stays at UT awhile

We will see if he can recruit at a high level but you certainly had to be impressed with the results he got from that collection of talent there this year.

In other coaching news, Miss State is pursuing Dan Muller, assistant at Vanderbilt.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18140279/sources-vandy-assistant-muller-now-being-considered-by-mississippi-state

I like Muller as an assistant, but that's a jump into shark-infested waters as your first head coaching gig.

Assembly Hall
03-30-2012, 11:40 AM

LOL.....yes I am biased. But I also look at history. IU never was a school for having successful guys in the pros. That is another topic for a different day. You can throw Bob Knight out of the equation, they won two titles before him. IU has 5 titles......they came in 4 different decades. They were also in Final Fours in another 2 different decades. MSU wasnt nothing until Magic Johnson showed up. Ohio St was a power in the early 60's then fell off the map. But I will grant you in this day and age that MSU and OSU look to be powerhouses, but it is because of their coaches that are in place now. Certain schools, it doesnt matter who the coach is.......IU is one of them. Along with UCLA, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas.

Assembly Hall
03-30-2012, 11:42 AM
In terms of Illinois, I think it has all the potential to be a great great job.
That's been hampered by substandard coaches over the last 20 years. The only above average coach to man the home sidelines was Bill Self, and he was gone after 3 seasons.

Hmmmmmm........Lon Kruger wasnt too shabby.:eek:

cumberlandreds
03-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Certain schools, it doesnt matter who the coach is.......IU is one of them. Along with UCLA, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas.

Billy Gillispie begs to disagree. :) Also Matt Doherty and a host of coaches at UCLA.

Assembly Hall
03-30-2012, 11:43 AM
In terms of a natural recruiting base and resources, I'd probably put IU ahead of Michigan State for only one reason. Because Michigan puts a boat load of money into its basketball program, it's probably more of a threat to MSU's ability to lock down the state than Purdue is to Indiana. Of course that's dependent on Michign getting it's stuff together which they've alternately done and not done for the past 20 years.

I agree that because tOSU has no true rival in many of the cities in Ohio,(even UC recruits more on the East coast then the rest of Ohio) and has more money to dedicate to basketball then pretty much anyone else, it's the top job for an aspiring coach.

IU has history, and a dedicated fan base, but almost no money outside of what it can generate for itself.

Very valid thoughts.

Assembly Hall
03-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Billy Gillispie begs to disagree. :) Also Matt Doherty and a host of coaches at UCLA.

Well let me see......UK Hmmmmmmmm Adolph Rupp, Joe B. Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, and now Cal. UNC Hmmmmmmmmmm Frank McGuire, Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge(sp?), Roy Williams. UCLA......John Wooden, Larry Brown, Steve Lavin, Bill Howland(sp?), I know I am missing a few on that one. All of these coaches had good runs. Doherty had one good year with Carolina. Billy was just the wrong choice at UK.

bucksfan2
03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
LOL.....yes I am biased. But I also look at history. IU never was a school for having successful guys in the pros. That is another topic for a different day. You can throw Bob Knight out of the equation, they won two titles before him. IU has 5 titles......they came in 4 different decades. They were also in Final Fours in another 2 different decades. MSU wasnt nothing until Magic Johnson showed up. Ohio St was a power in the early 60's then fell off the map. But I will grant you in this day and age that MSU and OSU look to be powerhouses, but it is because of their coaches that are in place now. Certain schools, it doesnt matter who the coach is.......IU is one of them. Along with UCLA, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas.

Your valuing history too much. When your going to recruit today they really don't care what happened decades ago. The thing that IU has going for them is they have a loyal fan base and they are dedicated to basketball. In the recruiting circles its more what have you done for me lately? Who have you placed in the pros? Quite frankly a kid today isn't going to care about Steve Alford or Damon Bailey. Heck if you ask them the probably won't even know who they are, unless Alford is recruiting them.

Powerhouses of yesteryear are just that, powerhouses of yesteryear.

dabvu2498
03-30-2012, 12:01 PM

OSU's primary rival in recruiting Ohio has been... Michigan State.

Adreian Payne, Travis Trice, Delvon Roe, Travis Walton, Raymar Morgan, and a few others come to mind just in recent years.

Hoosier Red
03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
That's a good point dab. It shows that the model isn't quite as simplistic as we tend to think. But I think it shows why Michigan State is more of a case of great coach, rather than top program by itself. Even with a great coach, they don't really have a monopoly on talent in Michigan.
Izzo is good enough and has established enough connections that he can dip into Ohio or Indiana or surrounding states, but a new coach may not have that notoriety or relationship and would be starting off on a negative.

I think if you took out the current coaches, all else being equal, a coach would look and see if the natural recruiting base was in state or out of state. Now that doesn't mean you would only get players from in state, but the further you have to stretch the net out in order to bring in quality players, the harder you have to work at it. Because if you're in Michigan and have to look to Ohio for players, that's a longer distance driving back and forth. More space between the coaches who you can build relationships with, etc... It also means you have to compete with the top program in that state which puts you at even more of a disadvantage.

I also think the B1G in basketball, with the current crop of coaches and top programs is going to make it really hard for a coach to come in and actually see results.
It's something that's plagued Indiana football for decades. Without a truly transformative figure, teams at the bottom of the B1G tend to stay there, because even if they improve, they're still barely getting to 5 steps below the elite programs.

Scrap Irony
03-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Meh. I'd say three of the Big 10's coaches are among the top 10-15 in the nation, in Crean, Izzo, and Matta.

After that?

Maybe Wisconsin's Bo Ryan cracks the top 20-25. Maybe.

Who's separated himself (or his team) enough after that? Painter? John B. at Michigan?

The Big Ten's like most of the big conferences. Some great coaches, some in great spots, and some would be great to replace.

bucksfan2
03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Meh. I'd say three of the Big 10's coaches are among the top 10-15 in the nation, in Crean, Izzo, and Matta.

After that?

Maybe Wisconsin's Bo Ryan cracks the top 20-25. Maybe.

Who's separated himself (or his team) enough after that? Painter? John B. at Michigan?

The Big Ten's like most of the big conferences. Some great coaches, some in great spots, and some would be great to replace.

If your ranking current B1G coaches I would put both Painter and Ryan ahead of Crean.

redsfanmia
03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
If your ranking current B1G coaches I would put both Painter and Ryan ahead of Crean.

Ryan for sure, maybe on Painter. Crean has done a great job but I am not sold on his ability to outcoach anyone.

redsfanmia
03-30-2012, 06:50 PM

IU has had a few pro's since Jefferies, DJ White, Bracey Wright and Eric Gordon is a borderline all star.

WVRed
03-30-2012, 10:41 PM
OSU's primary rival in recruiting Ohio has been... Michigan State.

Adreian Payne, Travis Trice, Delvon Roe, Travis Walton, Raymar Morgan, and a few others come to mind just in recent years.

That has a lot to do with tOSU being on probation during the early part of the decade and the perception that they are a "football school". Ohio State is becoming like Florida in that both can co-exist, although football does drive the bus, unless you're Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, or a North Carolina school.

At that time, Izzo was hitting his peak. I don't think he really started dipping into Ohio until after he won the national championship, and that was mostly with hometown kids.

WVRed
03-30-2012, 10:49 PM

I see Minnesota coming open pretty soon, likely next year. Tubby hasn't changed from his time at Kentucky and he has had some pretty tumultuous teams in Minneapolis. I look for Minnesota to make a run at Flip Saunders to get somebody with a NBA pedigree into the college game.

We will see if he can recruit at a high level but you certainly had to be impressed with the results he got from that collection of talent there this year.

In other coaching news, Miss State is pursuing Dan Muller, assistant at Vanderbilt.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18140279/sources-vandy-assistant-muller-now-being-considered-by-mississippi-state

I like Muller as an assistant, but that's a jump into shark-infested waters as your first head coaching gig.

I've read Kenny Payne from Kentucky is up for the Mississippi State job as well. Also read Sean Woods is a possibility. Hoping one of those two get it.

Orlando Antigua is up for Duquesne, which is in Pittsburgh where Antigua is from.

Assembly Hall
03-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Your valuing history too much. When your going to recruit today they really don't care what happened decades ago. The thing that IU has going for them is they have a loyal fan base and they are dedicated to basketball. In the recruiting circles its more what have you done for me lately? Who have you placed in the pros? Quite frankly a kid today isn't going to care about Steve Alford or Damon Bailey. Heck if you ask them the probably won't even know who they are, unless Alford is recruiting them.

Powerhouses of yesteryear are just that, powerhouses of yesteryear.

Kinda funny how the powerhouses of yesteryear are still the powerhouses of today?

They have had a few hiccups along the way.....but they are still there.

dabvu2498
03-31-2012, 01:38 AM
At that time, Izzo was hitting his peak. I don't think he really started dipping into Ohio until after he won the national championship, and that was mostly with hometown kids.

Actually, two of the starters on the national championship team were from good old Ohio.

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/hutson_andre00.html

Also, this guy:

http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/granger_a.j.00.html

bucksfan2
03-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Kinda funny how the powerhouses of yesteryear are still the powerhouses of today?

They have had a few hiccups along the way.....but they are still there.

I typed in winnest college programs of the 80's and got a sporacle game. The likely suspects were there, but a bunch of other forgetable teams were there. UNLV, UTEP, Temple, and Oklahoma all were in the top 10. The bluebloods of UNC and UK were in the top 10, and IU was 11, but the vast majority of the list was teams that are a shadow of their former self.

I don't think a kid being recruited today is going to care that UNLV was a great program. I think he is going to look at the facilities, his chance to play, his chance to win, and the chance to go to the next level. We won a title before you were born holds little water anymore.

Assembly Hall
03-31-2012, 08:39 AM
I see Minnesota coming open pretty soon, likely next year. Tubby hasn't changed from his time at Kentucky and he has had some pretty tumultuous teams in Minneapolis. I look for Minnesota to make a run at Flip Saunders to get somebody with a NBA pedigree into the college game.

I hope they dont run Tubby out up there. I just dont see that program getting another high profile guy.

Assembly Hall
03-31-2012, 09:04 AM
I typed in winnest college programs of the 80's and got a sporacle game. The likely suspects were there, but a bunch of other forgetable teams were there. UNLV, UTEP, Temple, and Oklahoma all were in the top 10. The bluebloods of UNC and UK were in the top 10, and IU was 11, but the vast majority of the list was teams that are a shadow of their former self.

I don't think a kid being recruited today is going to care that UNLV was a great program. I think he is going to look at the facilities, his chance to play, his chance to win, and the chance to go to the next level. We won a title before you were born holds little water anymore.

I cant disagree with ya on a majority of the kids today, and what they look for in making a choice.

My point was that there are certain schools out there that historically have been good and continue to do so no matter who the coach is.

I kind of chuckled when I saw UNLV, UTEP, Oklahoma, and Temple there for the '80's. All those programs were built by one coach, once the coach was gone the programs came back down to earth.

I know the college basketball landscape has changed over the years. Programs rise and fall. Even the time tested programs experience some years of mediocrity or total chaos. Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, and North Carolina are schools that I see as the cream of the crop. I see Louisville and Duke being mentioned on the list 20 years from now.

Revering4Blue
03-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Interesting.

Kansas State has hired Bruce Weber to be its next men's basketball coach, Weber told ESPN.com's Andy Katz Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7758565/kansas-state-wildcats-hiring-bruce-weber-men-basketball-coach

dabvu2498
03-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Interesting.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7758565/kansas-state-wildcats-hiring-bruce-weber-men-basketball-coach

Actually, I find Bruce Weber anything but interesting. ;)

Assembly Hall
04-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Actually, I find Bruce Weber anything but interesting. ;)

LOL:thumbup:

Gonna be quite an atmosphere change in Manhattan.

dabvu2498
04-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Manning to Tulsa and Hinson to Southern Illinois. Self loses his top 2 assistants on the eve of the Final 4.

dabvu2498
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Trent Johnson to TCU.

I know they don't care about basketball much at LSU, but still. That's ridiculous.

WVRed
04-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Trent Johnson to TCU.

I know they don't care about basketball much at LSU, but still. That's ridiculous.

They care even less at Fort Worth.

I've read it had to do with a contract squabble and the potential to recruit in Texas. He'll have more to choose from but he will also be going up against Rick Barnes, Billy Gillispie, Billy Kennedy, and possibly even SEC schools now that Texas A&M is in the conference.

Assembly Hall
04-07-2012, 06:51 AM
They care even less at Fort Worth.

I've read it had to do with a contract squabble and the potential to recruit in Texas. He'll have more to choose from but he will also be going up against Rick Barnes, Billy Gillispie, Billy Kennedy, and possibly even SEC schools now that Texas A&M is in the conference.

Ya left out Scott Drew!;) The move makes absolutely no sense.

dabvu2498
04-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Ya left out Scott Drew!;) The move makes absolutely no sense.

The part that I really like is that Jim Christian left TCU for Ohio U (a pretty serious downward move), which opened the job for Johnson.

Also, John Cooper, formerly of Tennessee State, has been hired at Miami University. Excellent hire for the Thunderhawks, but somewhat a surprise. I assumed Frank Smith would step into his mentor's shoes.

Assembly Hall
04-07-2012, 07:30 AM
The part that I really like is that Jim Christian left TCU for Ohio U (a pretty serious downward move), which opened the job for Johnson.

Also, John Cooper, formerly of Tennessee State, has been hired at Miami University. Excellent hire for the Thunderhawks, but somewhat a surprise. I assumed Frank Smith would step into his mentor's shoes.

OU looks to have the pieces in place to be pretty successful from a coaching standpoint. But that did surprise me.

WVRed
04-07-2012, 10:23 AM
OU looks to have the pieces in place to be pretty successful from a coaching standpoint. But that did surprise me.

Anyone who is successful there will move on to another major opening in a major conference. And usually at that level, unless you're an established power within that conference, its a crapshoot.

I did forget about Scott Drew though. :( I've never been impressed with Trent Johnson. He is a great X's and O's coach, but he's never been able to recruit.

Assembly Hall
04-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Anyone who is successful there will move on to another major opening in a major conference. And usually at that level, unless you're an established power within that conference, its a crapshoot.

I did forget about Scott Drew though. :( I've never been impressed with Trent Johnson. He is a great X's and O's coach, but he's never been able to recruit.

LOL.......I had to throw Drew out there because he is an Indiana(Valparaiso) boy!!!!!!!!!!!!:beerme:

I agree with ya on the OU job. I think the oppurtunity is there for success and a coach can parlez that into a big time gig just as this year.

I dont know if I agree with ya on Johnson's recruiting. He had some dang good teams at Nevada, but I admit I havent followed his carreer. Just seemed to me like he was an odd fit at LSU, go from coaching Stanford to coaching LSU. Just kind of weird.

WVRed
04-08-2012, 12:24 AM
LOL.......I had to throw Drew out there because he is an Indiana(Valparaiso) boy!!!!!!!!!!!!:beerme:

I agree with ya on the OU job. I think the oppurtunity is there for success and a coach can parlez that into a big time gig just as this year.

I dont know if I agree with ya on Johnson's recruiting. He had some dang good teams at Nevada, but I admit I havent followed his carreer. Just seemed to me like he was an odd fit at LSU, go from coaching Stanford to coaching LSU. Just kind of weird.

Johnson was at Nevada for five years, Stanford for four, and UCLA for four.

He's the type of coach you would hire if you had a good solid nucleus in place. He took over a pretty talented LSU team his first season in Baton Rogue and won the SEC Tournament. He also took over for Mike Montgomery and won pretty decent in Stanford before leaving for the SEC.

Rumor has it Scott Drew from Baylor is on the short list for LSU. Don't know if its wishful thinking or if it has legs.

Assembly Hall
04-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Johnson was at Nevada for five years, Stanford for four, and UCLA for four.

He's the type of coach you would hire if you had a good solid nucleus in place. He took over a pretty talented LSU team his first season in Baton Rogue and won the SEC Tournament. He also took over for Mike Montgomery and won pretty decent in Stanford before leaving for the SEC.

Rumor has it Scott Drew from Baylor is on the short list for LSU. Don't know if its wishful thinking or if it has legs.

I would imagine a lot of schools are eyeing Drew. It wouldnt have surprised me to have seen him take the Illinois job just to be closer to his folks with some of the medical issues they got. But as far as LSU, I dont know.....but crazier things have happened.

Assembly Hall
04-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Just saw where SMU is making a play for Majerus.

Revering4Blue
04-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Majerus is staying put.

Meanwhile, Larry Eustachy is leaving Southern Miss and heading to Colorado State.

Lateral move?

Assembly Hall
04-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Majerus is staying put.

Meanwhile, Larry Eustachy is leaving Southern Miss and heading to Colorado State.

Lateral move?

I dont know what I would call that one. I dont know what Colorado St has coming back.

WVRed
04-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Rumor has it Tubby Smith is a candidate for LSU. Seems like he is mentioned in almost every SEC job since leaving for Minnesota.

LSU comes to Rupp this season. I wonder how Tubby would be received.

Revering4Blue
04-13-2012, 10:58 PM
LSU names North Texas' Johnny Jones as new coach.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-04-13/LSU-names-Johnny-Jones-new-coach/54266510/1

Assembly Hall
04-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Rumor has it Tubby Smith is a candidate for LSU. Seems like he is mentioned in almost every SEC job since leaving for Minnesota.

LSU comes to Rupp this season. I wonder how Tubby would be received.

I know it dont mean much, but Tubby received an extension a few weeks back. There were some grumblings up there towards the tail end of the season but they put that to rest.

dabvu2498
04-14-2012, 09:10 AM
LSU names North Texas' Johnny Jones as new coach.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-04-13/LSU-names-Johnny-Jones-new-coach/54266510/1

Probably a decent pick. Can't believe I hadn't thought of him as a candidate.

Assembly Hall
04-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Probably a decent pick. Can't believe I hadn't thought of him as a candidate.

I had overlooked it as well. Excellent choice.

WVRed
04-14-2012, 04:37 PM
I know it dont mean much, but Tubby received an extension a few weeks back. There were some grumblings up there towards the tail end of the season but they put that to rest.

I don't see Tubby being a long term fixture in Minnesota. They did perform well in the NIT, but Tubby is going to have to take a step forward this season to keep the heat off.

I didn't even know who Johnny Jones was but after reading it makes a lot of sense. I kinda wonder if Scott Drew would have been in the mix if the sanctions hadn't came?

Assembly Hall
04-14-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't see Tubby being a long term fixture in Minnesota. They did perform well in the NIT, but Tubby is going to have to take a step forward this season to keep the heat off.

I didn't even know who Johnny Jones was but after reading it makes a lot of sense. I kinda wonder if Scott Drew would have been in the mix if the sanctions hadn't came?

I think Tubby is gonna be there awhile as long as Gopher fans dont start acting like Illini fans and think thier program is elite. I think this past season was a fine coaching job considering they lost their best player due to injury. They get him back next year.

Drew has a good team coming back and added a great recruiting class. I dont think the sanctions played into it. Scott has built Baylor into a perreniel Top 25 program. I wouldnt be surprised to see him stay at Baylor for quite awhile, waiting for a job at an upper tier school opening. And at this point in time it, barring anymore sanctions, it would have to be big time.

Assembly Hall
04-15-2012, 06:48 AM
SMU to meet with Larry Brown?

Assembly Hall
04-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Seth Greenburg out at Va. Tech.

Revering4Blue
04-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Seth Greenburg out at Va. Tech.

Unless there were some improprietes we don't know about, this is an insanely foolish move, especially given the timing and classless way Greenberg was informed of the move.

Name a tougher job in the ACC? Possibly Clemson.

Assembly Hall
04-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Unless there were some improprietes we don't know about, this is an insanely foolish move, especially given the timing and classless way Greenberg was informed of the move.

Yeah, I found it hard to believe. I did some reading on it, all of his assistant coached already had left. There appears to be something wrong there.

cumberlandreds
04-25-2012, 10:02 AM

They were just paying him back for being an arrogant SOB the whole time he was at VPI. He was not well liked at all down there. They only tolerated him for that amount of time because he won, somewhat. As long as he kept .500 or better he was OK. But they fell short this year of that mark. Just a little odd about the timing of it. Maybe it wasn't the best way to inform him. But believe me, it was justly deserved.

dabvu2498
04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Prohm to Va Tech?

RichRed
04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
They were just paying him back for being an arrogant SOB the whole time he was at VPI. He was not well liked at all down there. They only tolerated him for that amount of time because he won, somewhat. As long as he kept .500 or better he was OK. But they fell short this year of that mark. Just a little odd about the timing of it. Maybe it wasn't the best way to inform him. But believe me, it was justly deserved.

Exactly. He deliberately watered down the OOC schedule while he was there, then whined when the NCAA selection committee left his team sitting at home. Not a very likeable guy either.

The other interesting aspect is that Va. Tech's AD Weaver has Parkinson's and may be stepping down soon himself.

Revering4Blue
04-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Morehead State's Donnie Tyndall has agreed to a four-year deal to become the next coach at Southern Miss, a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations said Saturday.

Tyndall edged Mississippi Valley State's Sean Woods and former UTEP and Nebraska coach Doc Sadler for the job.

A year ago, Tyndall coached Kenneth Faried and Morehead to an NCAA tournament win over Louisville.

Tyndall replaces Larry Eustachy, who left to become the head coach at Colorado State.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7866245/source-southern-miss-golden-eagles-hire-donnie-tyndall-next-coach