PDA

View Full Version : Will "The Franchise" become a clubhouse cancer again?

Krawhitham
03-14-2012, 01:58 AM
From a Ken Broo interview

I asked Phillips twice if he saw himself in a Cincinnati Reds uniform after this season. “Do I think so? No,” he told me. “I feel like if they wanted things to be done by now, I feel like it’s be done before spring training.”

“I’m happy for Sean Marshall, very happy for him,” Phillips continued. “He’s one of the best pitchers in baseball, in the bullpen. He’s a great guy. But for them (the Reds management) to sign him before signin’ me, I feel that was a slap in my face.”

http://kenbroo.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/enjoy-brandon-phillips-this-year-next-year-well/

His attitude in Cleveland basically forced them to give him away

Trade him for some young stock and use the 12 million toward Votto

His glove will be hard to replace but he is a career .272 on the backside of his career. He has already lose his power and speed.

Mutaman
03-14-2012, 02:06 AM
His attitude in Cleveland basically forced them to give him away

Why in the world would anyone care about his attitude in Cleveland, over a zillion years ago? Talk about making something out of nothing.

R_Webb18
03-14-2012, 03:13 AM
i dont think ppl understand how much we need him

joshua
03-14-2012, 04:07 AM
If we traded him now, for one season of control, we wouldn't get much in return. If we lock him up to an OK contract for 5 or 6 years and flipped him for prospects, it'd be worth it. But that's not happening this season. We're letting him play out this year, may strike a one year deal next year and then one of our youngsters will come over and take over 2B.

And I doubt he'll become a cancer. He's always been a team player and a competitor who wants to win. He has beef with the front office, not the guys on the team. He'll still go out and bust ass to win. I could see him having a big year and then signing somewhere on the West Coast for a massive amount. That glove is hard to come by and he can hit too.

goreds2
03-14-2012, 07:23 AM
How many players in baseball (if any) can play second base and bat ANYWHERE in the linsup like he does. Sign him for cryin' out loud. :confused:

texasdave
03-14-2012, 08:01 AM
How many players in baseball (if any) can play second base and bat ANYWHERE in the linsup like he does. Sign him for cryin' out loud. :confused:

Don't believe everything Dusty tells you. In six seasons with the Reds his OPS+ is a very mediocre 102. Yeah, Dusty can put him in different spots in the lineup but that doesn't mean Brandon is doing the job. That being said, I'd like to see Phillips signed for about three more years.

will5979
03-14-2012, 08:06 AM
BP is a d!ck, I experienced it first hand at the Reds caravan over the winter, good riddance to his piss-poor attitude. People need to quit acting like he is a HOFer (far from it). Let the crybaby walk and use the money to lock up Votto.

Votto > BP

Votto is 10x more valuable than Ocho-Cin...I mean BP.

KYRedLeg
03-14-2012, 08:35 AM
BP is a d!ck, I experienced it first hand at the Reds caravan over the winter, good riddance to his piss-poor attitude. People need to quit acting like he is a HOFer (far from it). Let the crybaby walk and use the money to lock up Votto.

Votto > BP

:thumbup:

brad1176
03-14-2012, 08:59 AM

Votto > BP

I'm pretty sure that's what is happening.

DGullett35
03-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Ive said before. The media is what is going to drag this out. Them bringing it up every day will make him say things he shouldnt Hopefully this team doesnt get off to a slow start because this might get ugly. Leave the guy alone for the better of the team

texasdave
03-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Ive said before. The media is what is going to drag this out. Them bringing it up every day will make him say things he shouldnt Hopefully this team doesnt get off to a slow start because this might get ugly. Leave the guy alone for the better of the team

Or he could simply say, "No comment".

DGullett35
03-14-2012, 01:19 PM
He could but cmon. Theres no way a guy with a giant ego(almost everyone in professional sports) can say no comment over 162 times. Its going to happen. Im just sayin that the media is 99% to blame on this and thats sad

Stray
03-14-2012, 01:28 PM
I like that he wants a contract and is upset that he hasn't got one yet. The alternatives would be wanting out of Cincinnati or just not caring at all.

I guess we can put a spin on anything, but the root of it is that he wants to finish his career in Cincinnati, nothing wrong with that.

Also, I highly doubt he'll be a locker room cancer or whatever. The team seems to genuinely like one another, this problem is just on the business side.

texasdave
03-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Of course it is not the media's fault. I think asking Brandon Phillips about the status of his contract negotiations is a fair question. Honestly, if a player has a problem dealing with the media in Cincinnati then they are, more than likely, going to have a problem dealing with the media anywhere. I just don't feel asking about his contract negotiations is, or should be, out of bounds. Fans want to know.
And maybe the reason why there has been no settlement is that the Reds are not going to be able to meet his demands in either dollars or length of contract or both. Phillips should be savvy enough to understand that. He should understand that budget constraints in Cincinnati are going to be a factor. I am fairly certain Reds' management would like him back.
As far as the club reaching an agreement with Sean Marshall first being a 'slap in the face'. Just ridiculous.

jwmann2
03-14-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't think Phillips will get a long term deal anywhere at 31 years old which means signing him for a four year deal just makes sense until we've got someone else in the farm system to replace him. Love the guy and he's an everyday player. Votto will command much more than 12 million. I expect in the 15-17 per year range.

AintlifeGrande
03-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I believe Philips is right to a certain extent.Ya'll cant tell me you were not scratching your head when they signed Marshall to an extension before Philips.We do not know the details of the contract talks between Philips and the Reds,so quit making assumptions about him and his character.From what I understand he is one of the most accessible Reds,and I wont judge him off of one fan who felt angry over him.
The young fans love him,the community as well,and I don't blame him if he left.And your nuts if you think letting him leave would give us enough money to keep Votto.Joey Votto will be the biggest FA the Reds have ever had,and has stated he will test the market.No way we match Yankee money,or the other big payroll clubs.So let Philips go,as well as Votto.
And have another question mark besides the left part of the infield.

R_Webb18
03-14-2012, 03:33 PM
gl to us giving votto 1/4 of payroll

texasdave
03-14-2012, 03:39 PM
I am curious as to why anyone would feel that Brandon is right to a certain extent? Especially, in light of the fact that we were admonished that we are not privileged to what has gone on in the negotiations between Phillips and the club. So how can one possibly know if the fault for no agreement lies with the player or the club? The contract issues between the club and Phillips and the club and Marshall are separate issues entirely. The club negotiated with Phillips and did not reach a deal. That happens. I find it difficult to believe that the club's goal was to disrespect Brandon by not reaching a successful conclusion to the contract negotiations. The club negotiated with Marshall and did reach an agreement. That also happens. Once again, I find it impossible to believe that the club signed Marshall as some sign of disrespect towards Phillips. And once again, they were separate issues. Should the club cease to negotiate with every other player until Phillips' contract situation is resolved one way or the way other? Ridiculous.

Jamz
03-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Ultimately I think the problem is that the club is trying to see if they can afford to keep Votto first. If they feel like they can they are going to let Phillips go. There's no way that we can afford both...so this year is probably necessary in determining that.

bounty37h
03-14-2012, 04:46 PM

Votto > BP

If your going to judge someone on one isolated incident, and your opinion of it, then we could all think your a "d" as well from many of your posts here at times. However, I have also seen many good things out of you, so give you the beneift of the doubt. Maybe you should try the same with BP? Generally, BP is the most fan friendly player we have had here in quite some time actually from most reports.

brm7675
03-14-2012, 06:06 PM
I think the Reds are hoping some of the younger talent improves considerably in the upcoming season as to not have to keep Brandon around. Brandon is a very good player but lets be honost, he is replaceable....

CRedsLarkin11
03-14-2012, 06:34 PM
I think the Reds are hoping some of the younger talent improves considerably in the upcoming season as to not have to keep Brandon around. Brandon is a very good player but lets be honost, he is replaceable....

I agree. Brandon is a fine player. He has won gold gloves and has put up amazing numbers offensively in the past. He is going to get paid by someone. I just don't believe it should be the Reds doing it. He still has a couple of years of quality baseball left but it just doesn't make sense for a small market team to take on a big contract for a guy on the downside of his career. The ONLY type of player (in my opinion) a team like the Reds can afford to throw some big time money and years at is a guy who is 28 and has a league MVP under his belt, they don't come around here too often.

Jr's Boy
03-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Philips leaves,and our infield defense turns to crap again.I guess Walt's rolling the dice for this season.We fail,then next season let our FA's leave and hang on to Votto till right before all star break,then trade him for prospects and start rebuilding again.And again,and again,and again....

will5979
03-14-2012, 10:58 PM
If your going to judge someone on one isolated incident, and your opinion of it, then we could all think your a "d" as well from many of your posts here at times. However, I have also seen many good things out of you, so give you the beneift of the doubt. Maybe you should try the same with BP? Generally, BP is the most fan friendly player we have had here in quite some time actually from most reports.

Hey man, I like what you have said here. I've enjoyed watching bp since 06 but I do believe he is replaceable. Maybe I was a little too harsh with my comments but after a while I grow tired of a player when he thinks he deserves more money than what he is worth and more than the reds can afford to spend. And I don't know the full story, but all I do know is that I'm psyched about this season and I'm going to try and enjoy every minute of it!

texasdave
03-14-2012, 11:18 PM
x

Krawhitham
03-14-2012, 11:54 PM

Anywhere?

Clean up?

.268 avg .741 ops over last 3 seasons

.341 OBP as a head off heater

Stubbs had a .329 OBP in leadoff last season and stole 26 bases while doing it

It the difference between greatness and flat out sucking now just .012 points?

His glove is great but his production is easy to replace. This team goes no where without Votto and the team can not afford both. Who would you rather have?

texasdave
03-15-2012, 12:10 AM
If Phillips will sign for three years fine. He probably wants five. Therein lies the rub. Phillips wants his payday and who can blame him?

Krawhitham
03-15-2012, 12:25 AM

OK how about the war he started with the cards just so he could get a little press.

Number_Fourteen
03-15-2012, 03:29 AM
OK how about the war he started with the cards just so he could get a little press.

:rolleyes:

bounty37h
03-15-2012, 10:07 AM

What about it-I have 0 problem with what he said, and think most fans/teams across baseball feel the same way. BP likes his attention, no doubt about it, but many pro athletes do. And he has said he isn't trying to break the bank and wants to remain a Red. I am not saying he isn't replaceable, but he isnt the bad guy that some are trying to make him out to be IMO.