PDA

View Full Version : Starting pitching this spring

Jefferson24
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
So far it's been pretty ugly. Is there a need for concern?

Jdattilo
03-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Yes.

Pete4prez
03-15-2012, 03:17 PM
yup

brm7675
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Nope it's ST, pitchers are working on things and such.

The Rage
03-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Results mean zilch in spring training. Leake has been horrible in spring training 2 years running now. Bailey finally is not over prepared and doesn't look good. Latos and Cueto this spring training bleh.

But when the regular season comes..............

Jamz
03-15-2012, 11:52 PM
If they carry it into the regular season (we'll know early on) it's not good, but if we're going by spring training Drew Stubbs might score 150 runs this year by nearly doubling his OBP.

NeilHamburger
03-16-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm beginning to get pretty worried over it. It's one thing to be bad, it's another to be far and away the worst in baseball. Somethings up:

Reds pitchers entered Thursday with the worst earned run average (6.17) in the majors this spring.
Reds hitters entered with the most strike outs in MLB.

And don't give me the it's Arizona defense for pitchers as it damn sure isn't effecting the pitchers who the Reds are facing.

I realize it's just spring and it doesn't matter, but I just find it hard to believe you can have (by a decent margin) the worst ERA in all of baseball during spring, and then all of a sudden have one of the best pitching staff's during the season.

dubc47834
03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I won't get TOOOOO worried about it until the end of the 1st month of the season. If they are still doing bad, then I will get REALLY worried. Until then I'm good. I was listening to MLB Network and they was saying pitchers are still working on certain pitches, command, and arm strength. That everyone should start getting an idea of what their rotations will look like in the next week or so. I understand the people that are worried tho, this is suppose to be "THE" year.

brm7675
03-16-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm beginning to get pretty worried over it. It's one thing to be bad, it's another to be far and away the worst in baseball. Somethings up:

Reds pitchers entered Thursday with the worst earned run average (6.17) in the majors this spring.
Reds hitters entered with the most strike outs in MLB.

And don't give me the it's Arizona defense for pitchers as it damn sure isn't effecting the pitchers who the Reds are facing.

I realize it's just spring and it doesn't matter, but I just find it hard to believe you can have (by a decent margin) the worst ERA in all of baseball during spring, and then all of a sudden have one of the best pitching staff's during the season.

It's ST, you have to understand what happen there stays there...sorta like Vegas...

Krawhitham
03-16-2012, 12:58 PM
It's ST, you have to understand what happen there stays there...sorta like Vegas...

maybe but Arroyo only hitting 88 MPH every once in a while means he will get crushed in the regular season too

Jdattilo
03-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Fay with a comparison of 2011 (I think) spring ERAs versus actual. Adds good perspective.

https://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/180767008227471360

UPRedsFan
03-16-2012, 07:05 PM
If they stay healthy, not worried

brm7675
03-16-2012, 07:43 PM
maybe but Arroyo only hitting 88 MPH every once in a while means he will get crushed in the regular season too

How many pitches has he thrown in a game so far? It's ST, pitchers work on things, build up arm strength....

CRedsLarkin11
03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
One of the announcers this spring put it in perspective for me. The reason you see young guys put up big numbers in spring training (usually) is b/c pitchers are not looking at the data on those guys to get them out. That's not the focus, the focus is working on pitches or improving arm strength. This is probably common sense to most folks but something I had never really thought about.

Having said that, the starting pitching is a legitimate concern. It's more of a concern because of the injuries and poor performance last season than it is b/c of this spring but as a fan, it is really easy to get nervous about it. This team also strikes out at a ridiculously high level. This team would make the believers and readers of Moneyball die inside.

HitByPitch
03-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Just got back from the game today...I gotta say that Arroyo looked real good...4 strong innings. Couple balls hit hard, but mostly not. Does anyone know what he was hitting on the gun? Don't know if he reached 90 or not but he definitely had some of the hitters off balance.

DGullett35
03-18-2012, 02:50 PM
The rotation has looked good the last 3 games. I agree that the next 2 weeks will be key. The rotation needs to start gaining some momentum heading into the regular season

Jdattilo
03-18-2012, 11:34 PM
After the last three games, I'm no longer worried.

brm7675
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
I am unsure why anyone gets worried over ST numbers.....

texasdave
03-19-2012, 06:56 PM
x

RedsfaninMT
03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
I am unsure why anyone gets worried over ST numbers.....

But, but, but...

Couldn't agree more!