PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 3/15

chicoruiz
03-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Reds:

Jim Kern (63) -"The Emu"; He pitched well in his one year as a Red after coming over in the George Foster deal. He tells the story of his conversation with the manager who came out to get him after a tough outing; "I said, 'I'm not tired', and he said, 'No, but the outfielders sure are'".

Wayne Granger (68) -In the Reds Hall of Fame despite a short career; he was dominant in '70 and '71. Surrendered a famous World Series grand slam to opposing pitcher Dave McNally.

Arlie Latham -AKA "The Freshest Man On Earth". Made 822 errors at third base, more than 200 more errors than the runner-up. The first full-time coach in major league history.

Others:

Kevin Youkilis (33) -"The Greek God Of Walks" is not actually Greek; he's of Romanian-Jewish extraction. At age 14 he had a brief, uncredited role in the film "Milk Money".

Mickey Hatcher (57) -Colorful 3B for the Dodgers and Twins. Among baseball card afficionados, he's known for posing with his giant glove, like so:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/images/uploads/Hatcher.jpg

Bobby Bonds -Only two players have been in the 30-30 club five times: Bobby Bonds and Barry Bonds. Four players have been teammates of both Bondses: Rick Reuschel, Ken Oberkfell, Mel Hall and Danny Darwin.

_Sir_Charles_
03-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Good stuff today Chico. :O)

UKFlounder
03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Youkilis is 33? Wow - I did not realize that. I thought he was a bit younger.

George Anderson
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Kevin Youkilis (33) -"The Greek God Of Walks" is not actually Greek; he's of Romanian-Jewish extraction. At age 14 he had a brief, uncredited role in the film "Milk Money".

[.

Chico...Youkilis has a cousin who is an ear, nose, throat doctor here in Indy. I was a patient of his and I always hesitated to ask if he was related to Kevin. As I was being reeled into surgery I started to ask him " Doctor, I was wondering, I am a huge baseball fan" ...at that point he cut me off, smiled and said "yep, Kevin is my cousin". I felt better going under the knife of a surgeon with baseball greatness in his blood.

RedFanAlways1966
03-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Jim Kern (63) -"The Emu"; He pitched well in his one year as a Red after coming over in the George Foster deal. He tells the story of his conversation with the manager who came out to get him after a tough outing; "I said, 'I'm not tired', and he said, 'No, but the outfielders sure are'".

Not sure if I am remembering this right and during the era of "no facial hair allowed in Cincy"... wasn't Kern the one who got a bad attitude about his role with the REDS and started growing a beard (that he sported before joining the REDS) to get traded/released? And got his wish. If so, I remember thinking what a horse's hind end he was at the time.

George Anderson
03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Not sure if I am remembering this right and during the era of "no facial hair allowed in Cincy"... wasn't Kern the one who got a bad attitude about his role with the REDS and started growing a beard (that he sported before joining the REDS) to get traded/released? And got his wish. If so, I remember thinking what a horse's hind end he was at the time.

yep

cumberlandreds
03-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Bobby Bonds had every bit the talent his son had. He just drank it all away.

Jim Kern was a real flake and the story 1966 had was right on the nose. He was traded pretty quickly after that.

Bob Borkowski
03-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Good stuff today Chico. :O)

:thumbup: