PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the Ballpark??

redsfan30
03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
First off, I will start by saying I am surprised and a tad disappointed at the lack of conversation going on here considering we are two weeks away from Opening Day.

On Reds Live a couple nights ago, Phil Castellini was on and he was talking about changes to the ballpark for this coming season. One that he discussed was all the concession stands now have digital menu boards. He also talked about some other changes that would be surprises that people would have to see when they come to the park. Any ideas or early word on what these changes may be?

Also, (seems like I start a thread on this every year) hopefully in the next few days they announce who is throwing out the first pitch and singing the National Anthem on Opening Day.

Hopefully this will spur some Opening Day/start of the season chatter!

Roy Tucker
03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Simon Leis to throw first pitch...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46753038/ns/local_news-cincinnati_oh/t/sheriff-throw-out-first-pitch-opening-day/

redsfan30
03-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Huge letdown. I am very respectful of his career of service to the Cincinnati area but I always hope for a splash on Opening Day.

This is not a splash.

Roy Tucker
03-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Huge letdown. I am very respectful of his career of service to the Cincinnati area but I always hope for a splash on Opening Day.

This is not a splash.

Ehhhh.... Opening Day is a very Cincinnati thing and is a very local thing and usually not a huge splash.

Brief opening day first pitch research yielded:

2011 - Tom Streicher, outgoing police chief
2010 - George Grande
2009 - Nick Lachey
2007 - Mark Mallory, mayor (who can forget this?)
2006 - George W Bush
2003 - George HW Bush

Johnny Footstool
03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
I know Nick is a local boy and a huge Reds fan, but man...

*BaseClogger*
03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Shoulda gotten Clooney after putting the city on display in Ides of March (or is he locked away?)...

bucksfan2
03-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Shoulda gotten Clooney after putting the city on display in Ides of March (or is he locked away?)...

I think Clooney may be too much political dynamite right now......

savafan
03-21-2012, 01:02 PM

And George W. wasn't???

Roy Tucker
03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Good stuff here... http://findlaymarketparade.com/Opening%20Day%20History

Longest streak... http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110329/NEWS01/103300314/Couple-shares-longest-Opening-Day-streak

Sparky in '96...

http://findlaymarketparade.com/sites/default/files/images/1996ODSparky.jpg

top6
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Yes, best bring to in a centrist, non-divisive figure like Si Leis, lol.

bucksfan2
03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
And George W. wasn't???

He was the sitting President so no. If any President would throw out the OD first pitch I would think that was pretty cool.

Clooney is just coming off a staged arrest protesting at the Sudan embassy. OD should be pure, not political. But that is just my opinion.

Benihana
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Clooney would be good. So would Barry Larkin. Or Barry O for that matter :p

TheNext44
03-21-2012, 02:03 PM

Don't want to offend that pro Sudanese Dictatorship block of Reds fans ;)

I think there are more Batman fans that would be offended by Clooney, to be honest. That movie almost killed the franchise.

wolfboy
03-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Should be Charlie Sheen. Just because.

Roy Tucker
03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Aaron Boone will be grand marshal for the Findlay Market parade.

AtomicDumpling
03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I think Aroldis Chapman should throw out the first pitch and Bill Maher should catch it. :eek:

Chip R
03-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Aaron Boone will be grand marshal for the Findlay Market parade.

They are really bringing in the heavyweights. Who's next, Dan Driessen?

UKFlounder
03-21-2012, 03:21 PM
The Red Sox fan in my downtown Cincy office certainly reacted to the choice of Boone :lol:

They are really bringing in the heavyweights. Who's next, Dan Driessen?

Caveman Techie
03-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I take the parking shuttle from the riverfront to downtown every once in a while when I don't feel like walking. This morning as the bus went by GABP I noticed the big stone block retaining wall along Mehring Way, was just dyed to a reddish tint. At least I'm pretty sure that used to be tan.

*BaseClogger*
03-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Should be Charlie Sheen. Just because.

Favorited!

Tony Cloninger
03-24-2012, 08:46 AM
When i saw the thread....I thought at least the LCF/CF and RCF had been moved back a bit or something to that affect.

RANDY IN INDY
03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I think Aroldis Chapman should throw out the first pitch and Bill Maher should catch it. :eek:

:beerme:

RBA
03-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Why do you say that? I don't think an active pitcher on the roster has ever had the honor of throwing the first pitch. And I don't think Bill Maher has the dexterity to leap up and catch one of Chapman's errant throws.

RBA
03-24-2012, 01:03 PM
One that he discussed was all the concession stands now have digital menu boards.

Wow! Digital menus. Note to self: Must book flight to Cincinnati, they have digital menus at the ballpark.

WebScorpion
03-25-2012, 02:59 AM
I don't think they're changing much in the Ballpark itself, but I really don't think they needed to. The changes are all coming in the players who take the field every day and that's where we needed it. I like this little video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fmuu9x65waI).

GO REDS!! :thumbup:

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2012, 11:23 PM
Yes, best bring to in a centrist, non-divisive figure like Si Leis, lol.

There's a really fringe element out there who vocally dislikes Si Leis -- but to the average citizen of Cincinnati, he's a well-respected and well-liked political / law-enforcement figure.

I'd say he's fairly non-divisive to the average Joe.

wolfboy
03-25-2012, 11:46 PM
There's a really fringe element out there who vocally dislikes Si Leis -- but to the average citizen of Cincinnati, he's a well-respected and well-liked political / law-enforcement figure.

Personally, I find nothing centrist about a guy that hands down indictments to museums.

Caveat Emperor
03-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Personally, I find nothing centrist about a guy that hands down indictments to museums.

Never said he was centrist, just that he was generally well-liked and well thought-of. There's a difference.

I'd hate life if being a "centrist" was required to have any awards or accolades bestowed upon you.

Johnny Footstool
03-26-2012, 02:20 AM
Let's keep this nice.

cincinnati chili
03-26-2012, 08:41 AM

I agree with Johnny that we should keep this nice, but there are plenty of non-"fringe" people who don't like this guy. I am woefully uninformed on his last 20 years of service, but prior to that he brought a lot of negative attention to the region (IMO) and blew a lot of taxpayer money with some heavy handed prosecutions of cyber bulletin board operators, art gallery owners, etc.

I would have thought twice before picking this guy to throw out the first pitch, just as I would equivalently divisive people on the left.

wolfboy
03-26-2012, 09:45 AM
The fact that we're having this back and forth about whether Leis is divisive is at least some evidence that he's divisive. I'm not going to boycott the Reds over the guy, but his record has been controversial.