PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Madson still experiencing elbow discomfort.

Redlegs_87
03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/ryan-madson-still-experiencing-right-elbow-discomfort/

Please don't be anything serious. :scared:

NCCardfan
03-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Youch! Hate that for the Reds. I hope he can get it back on track soon.

I was suprised that he hasn't made 1 appearance in a game yet. Sure looks like a bad deal.

Redlegs_87
03-22-2012, 11:27 PM
If it is anything serious then oh well. Sure Marshall or someone could step up into the closer role. I'd be more worried it if was a starting pitcher.

NCCardfan
03-22-2012, 11:32 PM
If it is anything serious then oh well. Sure Marshall or someone could step up into the closer role. I'd be more worried it if was a starting pitcher.

Yeah, at least it's not your Opening Day starting pitcher with a bulging disc;). The Reds can cover for him but Madson is a stud when healthy.

JayBruceFan
03-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Of course he is hurt. But it could be worse, it's not like he has radiation poisoning or long sideburns :D

The DARK
03-23-2012, 01:06 AM
I had a hunch that it would happen to one of our new pitching acquisitions... ah well, if it's bad, at least it's at a position of depth.

jredmo2
03-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Sounds like an MRI and pray for the best... hopefully we don't have to eat the one year deal

will5979
03-23-2012, 08:50 AM
The jerk needs to work through the pain. Good thing I ain't the Reds GM, I would FORCE him to pitch, no way would I let 8.5 million go to waste. If he gets lit up oh well, this is the very reason I hated Ken Griffey, Jr. I hate me a bunch of wussified gimps.

jhu1321
03-23-2012, 09:30 AM
The jerk needs to work through the pain. Good thing I ain't the Reds GM, I would FORCE him to pitch, no way would I let 8.5 million go to waste. If he gets lit up oh well, this is the very reason I hated Ken Griffey, Jr. I hate me a bunch of wussified gimps.

Easy killer, nobody is saying anything about letting the 8.5 mil go to waste and odds are, if he pitches hurt, he's not going to be effective.

Alpha Zero
03-23-2012, 11:00 AM

I'm guessing the Reds will recoup at least some of that $8.5MM via insurance if it's actually a season ending injury, so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape. There's no sense in forcing a guy to pitch hurt and ruin his arm just because he signed a decent sized one year contract.

will5979
03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm guessing the Reds will recoup at least some of that $8.5MM via insurance if it's actually a season ending injury, so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape. There's no sense in forcing a guy to pitch hurt and ruin his arm just because he signed a decent sized one year contract.

Don't get me wrong I hope everything is ok, for the Team's sake and Ryan's.

What I get tired of though are injury reports, seems like today's players will sit out if they break a nail.

Now I'm a nobody, never-was/has-been but I can at least look at myself in the mirror and say I played through broken bones where I had hardly any grip, being down in my back where I couldn't hardly swing or play defense, strained calves (both at the same time), where I literally couldn't run the bases, and a messed up knee where I could hardly do anything, but Bye Gawd I showed up and played through every single injury, I always hid my injuries because I NEVER wanted to be on a bench or a DL. Oh yeah I also played through strep throats, flus, and stomach viruses.

I also once walked 5 miles to the park, uphill both ways, in 12 feet of snow, fighting off Wolly Mammouths with a pocket knife just to play baseball! :lol:

stevekun
03-23-2012, 11:45 AM
I thought I just read the other day that he was feeling great. Seems like its going back and forth. Hope it gets worked out, we need him

Red Raindog
03-23-2012, 12:17 PM

What I get tired of though are injury reports, seems like today's players will sit out if they break a nail.

Now I'm a nobody, never-was/has-been but I can at least look at myself in the mirror and say I played through broken bones where I had hardly any grip, being down in my back where I couldn't hardly swing or play defense, strained calves (both at the same time), where I literally couldn't run the bases, and a messed up knee where I could hardly do anything, but Bye Gawd I showed up and played through every single injury, I always hid my injuries because I NEVER wanted to be on a bench or a DL. Oh yeah I also played through strep throats, flus, and stomach viruses.

I also once walked 5 miles to the park, uphill both ways, in 12 feet of snow, fighting off Wolly Mammouths with a pocket knife just to play baseball! :lol:

You resemble me!
(see sig below)

texasdave
03-23-2012, 12:31 PM
I also once walked 5 miles to the park, uphill both ways, in 12 feet of snow, fighting off Wolly Mammouths with a pocket knife just to play baseball!

I bet you used that pocket knife to carve your bat out of a Wooly Mammoth tusk as well. :)

texasdave
03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Does it strike anyone else as odd that not one of the media covering the Reds has gotten a scoop? Is this normal for a ML team? It seems as if Reds' media is sometimes the last to know.

R_Webb18
03-23-2012, 12:48 PM

wtf?

Mutaman
03-23-2012, 01:43 PM
All I know is that when you handed Ko Ko the ball, he took it and headed out to the mound.

dubc47834
03-23-2012, 01:50 PM

No sh!# there i was, knee deep in a rice patty in Nam. All I had was my pocket knife and a MRE. Was I scared...damn right I was!!!!!! Oh my days in the Army...LOL

will5979
03-23-2012, 01:59 PM
No sh!# there i was, knee deep in a rice patty in Nam. All I had was my pocket knife and a MRE. Was I scared...damn right I was!!!!!! Oh my days in the Army...LOL

If you are serious, thank you for your service and welcome home, I have great admiration and respect for Vietnam vets, something the Pinko Commie Hippie protesters didn't!

Mutaman
03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
If you are serious, thank you for your service and welcome home, I have great admiration and respect for Vietnam vets, something the Pinko Commie Hippie protesters didn't!

Hey I was a Pinko Commie Hippie protester, still am.

texasdave
03-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Is it unusual for a pitcher to be 31 and need TJ surgery? Wouldn't some sort of structural or mechanical pitching flaw show up before that age? Anyone have any idea?

texasdave
03-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey I was a Pinko Commie Hippie protester, still am.

Yes. But do you own a pocket knife? I believe that is the common denominator. :)

texasdave
03-23-2012, 02:11 PM
When I was younger, I found out that TJ surgery was necessary during the second inning, went into the clubhouse and performed the surgery on myself with a pocket knife, and then proceeded to close out both games of a doubleheader to clinch the division. =)

will5979
03-23-2012, 02:19 PM
When I was younger, I found out that TJ surgery was necessary during the second inning, went into the clubhouse and performed the surgery on myself with a pocket knife, and then proceeded to close out both games of a doubleheader to clinch the division. =)

:laugh::lol::beerme::thumbup::D

Mutaman
03-23-2012, 02:21 PM

The Reds can use a guy like texasdave.

will5979
03-23-2012, 02:27 PM
The Reds can use a guy like texasdave.

I was once passing through the town of Hope, Washington when some people didn't take a liking to my presence. So I fled to hills, hid in an abandoned coal mine, swam through a river of 1,000 rats, and later when I was hungry I took my pocket knife and tied it to a long stick, proceeded to kill a wild boar, cut off his hind leg, and ate it for dinner. Some would say I ate things that would make a Billy Goat puke!

texasdave
03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I once read a book about the West Virginia Liar's Contest. Folks up that way have some keen imaginations.

texasdave
03-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Just read online that a prominent major league closer needs Tommy John surgery and will miss the entire 2012 season.
Joakim Soria.

RedsfaninMT
03-23-2012, 03:22 PM
We clearly need the season to start. This thread went bizarre to say the least. I think the Reds can survive if Madson is lost, but it won't be easy.

Who gets the 7th bullpen slot?

Mutaman
03-23-2012, 03:31 PM
We clearly need the season to start. This thread went bizarre to say the least. I think the Reds can survive if Madson is lost, but it won't be easy.

Who gets the 7th bullpen slot?

I think if that happens:

1. Kiss 8.5 million good by.

2. Reds fans will find out that you can't just plug anyone in to be the closer.

3. Chapman will have to go to the bullpen. This team is built to win now. You can't go blowing leads while Chapman stretches out down in Louisville.

4. You better hope this guy Marshall is the real deal.

5. You ask yourself how you can pay millions to Madson w/o giving him a decent physical.

texasdave
03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
I am holding out hope that it is not the worst-case scenario - TJ and no 2012.
Rest, rehab and missing the first two weeks of the season is what I am thinking.

Assembly Hall
03-23-2012, 04:09 PM
They were just talking about him on ESPN. Schilling thought it might be bone chips or a bone spur.

RedsfaninMT
03-23-2012, 05:21 PM
They were just talking about him on ESPN. Schilling thought it might be bone chips or a bone spur.

They say anything about what that would mean?

Assembly Hall
03-23-2012, 05:50 PM
They say anything about what that would mean?

He didnt get into the bone chips aspect. But as far as the spur, he said it was fairly simple procedure that would sideline him 4 weeks, but he would have to get back into pitching shape once he was cleared to throw.

R_Webb18
03-23-2012, 06:16 PM
John Fay ‏ @johnfayman
Madson went to Cincinnati to get evaluated by Dr. Tim Kremchek. Won't be seen till tomorrow. #reds

RedsfaninMT
03-23-2012, 06:21 PM
John Fay ‏ @johnfayman
Madson went to Cincinnati to get evaluated by Dr. Tim Kremchek. Won't be seen till tomorrow. #reds

Not what I wanted to read. Hoping for bone spurs, not TJ.

The Rage
03-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Best case he is out 2 months. Worst case he is gone forever. A blow either way.

will5979
03-23-2012, 07:01 PM
John Fay ‏ @johnfayman

There is NEVER any good news when a player goes to see Kremcheck, i.e. GRiffey, Jr. circa 2001-2008.

texasdave
03-24-2012, 12:25 AM
There is NEVER any good news when a player goes to see Kremcheck, i.e. GRiffey, Jr. circa 2001-2008.

The Tim Reaper. :D

Old NDN
03-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Never had a lot of faith in Kremcheck's ability/inability to deal with baseball injuries. His nickname (Doc Hollywood) sums it up pretty well. Sometimes I think it's more about him than it should be. Although I've never seen anything about any of his surgeries being unsuccessful, Madson should seek out a few other professional opinions.

ol'Sparky
03-24-2012, 11:16 AM
masset, chapman or janish ? .... who will be the closer now ?

BEETTLEBUG
03-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Sean Marshall Closer!!!

[deleted]
03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
TJ. Out for the year.

bigredmechanism
03-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Ugh.

Stray
03-24-2012, 02:34 PM
That sucks...

R_Webb18
03-24-2012, 02:36 PM
such a bummer

Who Dey Time
03-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Just brutal for Ryan and the team. Best of luck to him for a full recovery.

Now the big elephant in the room....Marshall or Chapman as closer?

[deleted]
03-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Just brutal for Ryan and the team. Best of luck to him for a full recovery.

Now the big elephant in the room....Marshall or Chapman as closer?

This shouldn't be an elephant. This shouldn't be anything. It's Marshall, there's absolutely no question.

Pete4prez
03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Devastating......just terrible.

UPRedsFan
03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Boy do we need Masset now!

Need a shut down right hander to help Marshall. Masset or Arredondo. One of them has to step up!

Billy Hamilton's Legs
03-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Does the club stick to their guns and keep chapman on the track to start? I hope so. Perhaps a trade for another reliever may be in order? The worst part of this (outside of the obvious of losing madson for the season) is that this pushes marshall into the closer's spot, which means fewer innings pitched as well as less flexibility when it comes to which innings he pitches (can't put marshall in the 7th to get out of a jam). I think you have to trade for someone unless one of zavada, brackman, or judy steps up big in camp.

Big Red Hoss
03-24-2012, 03:16 PM
Masset, Marshall and ondreseck have all thrown well this spring. My guess is Marshall the closer and Masset the 8th with Bray. I am afraid this will put chapman back in the pen. I hope they find away not to though. Any chance Francis will go to the pen? He has thrown good this spring.

wojo1025
03-24-2012, 03:17 PM
According to the Cincinnati Enquirer's John Fay, the Reds do not have insurance on Madson's $8.5 million contract

RedsfaninMT
03-24-2012, 03:25 PM
I was VERY happy when the team signed Madson. This is a real blow to the team, IMO. As others have stated, it changes the makeup of the pen considerably. Marshall will close, and now seems a bargain as a closer. It's the 7, 8 guys who are much thinner now. We better hope Bray is okay, or we're in real trouble.

redsfanmia
03-24-2012, 03:31 PM
According to the Cincinnati Enquirer's John Fay, the Reds do not have insurance on Madson's $8.5 million contract

REally? I thought it was standard.

redsfanmia
03-24-2012, 03:33 PM
I really question the Reds medical staff, it seems like the Reds have many injury issues and I wonder if this was missed in a pre-contract physical.

RedsfaninMT
03-24-2012, 03:42 PM
I really question the Reds medical staff, it seems like the Reds have many injury issues and I wonder if this was missed in a pre-contract physical.

I'm not into conspiracy theories...at all. No way the Reds didn't give Madson a thorough physical.

And then there's this quote "Dr. Kremchek said with the bleeding it looks like a recent tear, Jocketty said."

Like Kremcheck or not, many teams have sent their pitchers to him for surgery. He does have an excellent national reputation. He wasn't rated top 5 in the country for being incompetent.

redsfanmia
03-24-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm not into conspiracy theories...at all. No way the Reds didn't give Madson a thorough physical.

And then there's this quote "Dr. Kremchek said with the bleeding it looks like a recent tear, Jocketty said."

Like Kremcheck or not, many teams have sent their pitchers to him for surgery. He does have an excellent national reputation. He wasn't rated top 5 in the country for being incompetent.

After having had a social interaction with him once I would not let him tape my ankle.

RedsfaninMT
03-24-2012, 04:03 PM
After having had a social interaction with him once I would not let him tape my ankle.

I have met him as well, and did not like him. But my sister has gone through 5 knee operations - none of which were successful, until she saw Kremcheck.

wojo1025
03-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm still partial to moving Homer into the closer role and I'm ok with making Jeff Francis the #5 guy for now.

brm7675
03-24-2012, 04:23 PM
I'm still partial to moving Homer into the closer role and I'm ok with making Jeff Francis the #5 guy for now.

Homer can't close or pitch out of bullpen unable to warm up quickly...

DGullett35
03-24-2012, 04:23 PM
I say give it to Marshall. I agree that masset and/or Arrendondo have to step up.

Id still put Chapman in AAA for right now. I still think he can be our David Price circa2008

brm7675
03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
U can take this to the bank Chapman will come north in the bullpen and be the set up man for Marshall

Redlegs_87
03-24-2012, 06:03 PM
If Chapman isn't in AAA at the beginning of the year I will officially be done with Dusty and just perplexed at Walt for allowing it to happen.

Chapman has shown he can't do the bullpen if he has to pitch on back to back days.

redsfanmia
03-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Maybe Kremcheck is great at surgery but not great at diagnosis, there really are no perfect doctors and they all have strengths and weakness's.

redsfanmia
03-24-2012, 07:51 PM
I think Bronson is the answer as a closer, he could reinvent himself like Eckersley.

OGB
03-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Of course he is hurt. But it could be worse, it's not like he has radiation poisoning or long sideburns :D

I heard Jay Bruce is expected to miss opening day because he's helping some lady get a player piano out of her burning house.

wojo1025
03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Ok, Ok. Roy Oswalt for closer :eek:

will5979
03-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Couldn't they have just given him a bunch of cortisone shots all year? Shutting down your 8.5 million dollar closer when this is supposed to be a year to go for it all wasn't in the best interest of the team.

NCCardfan
03-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Ok, Ok. Roy Oswalt for closer :eek:

Good plan except for one thing,

Oswalt wants to be a starter, he's said that a few times. That's the biggest reason he didn't sign with the Cards as their rotation is pretty much set. Are there any decent bullpen guys available? I hope it works out internally for the Reds and as long as the Brewers don't run away with the division (I have my favorite but y'all probably already knew that;)) it will be fine. I surely do want the division to go down to the wire TBH.

Big Red Hoss
03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Since Philly cut The D-train I would go after him and see if he would be our closer. I think he would be great. Plus he could pinch hit too.

Girevik
03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Couldn't they have just given him a bunch of cortisone shots all year? Shutting down your 8.5 million dollar closer when this is supposed to be a year to go for it all wasn't in the best interest of the team.

I'm sure the player's union wouldn't have had anything to say about that either.

However they fill the hole, it can't be with Chapman. He's only got 3 years left on his contract in Cincy, so if you switch him back now I think you've pretty much blown your shot at making him a starter unless you can resign him.

Moosie52
03-26-2012, 02:36 PM
masset, chapman or janish ? .... who will be the closer now ?

What about Cairo?

Ohayou
03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4454315&c_id=mlb

texasdave
03-26-2012, 05:39 PM

I am not into conspiracy theories either. Okay, maybe a little bit. But, if the Reds did indeed give Madson a thorough physical, including an MRI; then doesn't that make the following statement from Dr. Kremchek redundant?

And then there's this quote "Dr. Kremchek said with the bleeding it looks like a recent tear,” Jocketty said.

Is this logical? If they gave him a thorough physical, including an MRI, before they signed him they must have found nothing. Or else they would not have signed him. Agreed?

So why would you state the obvious and say it looks like a recent tear? It HAS to be. Correct? Kremchek was either being redundant or someone is in serious CYA mode. Because maybe, just maybe, that physical wasn't all that thorough.

Or. I am bored and my mind has wandered a long way from home.

goreds2
03-28-2012, 12:17 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120327&content_id=27662136&notebook_id=27669918&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

redsfanmia
03-28-2012, 06:54 PM
The worst part of Madson getting hurt is that he was a valuable chip for us to deal once we fall out of the race.

DirtyBaker
03-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Gentlemen, I have found our new closer.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0l1meyEed1qzqmzeo1_250.jpg

texasdave
03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Gentlemen, I have found our new closer.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0l1meyEed1qzqmzeo1_250.jpg

Is that Throw-bot? :)