PDA

View Full Version : Trade for a reliever?

Kc61
03-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Not necessarily a closer, but another late inning bullpenner could help in light of Madson's injury.

Reds could trade Bailey, Francisco, Frazier, Janish, Francis, Heisey, or prospects. No need to deal from the core.

Relievers aren't popular around here, unclear to me anyone would want to do this.

Also, Reds do have some bullpen depth so a trade isn't essential.

But one more late innings veteran might help and the Reds certainly have the trading chips.

Views?

AtomicDumpling
03-24-2012, 09:33 PM
The Rangers have been trying to trade Koji Uehara. He would likely be expensive and has pitched poorly this spring, but he has been fantastic the last few years.

Ghosts of 1990
03-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Just move Bailey to the pen. We're deeper than most pens out there as is.

mth123
03-24-2012, 10:05 PM
If Marshall is going to be the closer, I wouldn't mind another lefty. Mike Gonzlaez is still a free agent I think.

brad1176
03-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I think our free agent money is gone, we would have to do a trade if we do anything at all. I don't get the feeling that Walt will go after anyone. It will be interesting to see what happens, Homer or Francis to the pen as a long reliever? I think it will be hard to keep Chapman out of the rotation with the spring he's had.

RedlegJake
03-24-2012, 10:56 PM
No way. We don't need a reliever. At least not at the expense of anyone worthwhile - maybe if you can pry a decent arm away for Juan Francisco and settle on Frazier as Rolen's heir at third base for the time being. The Reds have Francis, Judy, Brackman and Chapman as alternative possibilities and if Arredondo isn't the closer on opening day Baker is nuts.

marcshoe
03-25-2012, 12:39 AM
If Marshall is going to be the closer, I wouldn't mind another lefty. Mike Gonzlaez is still a free agent I think.

I saw recently that Boston's looking at him. I think he'd be an asset as a middle innings guy.

As far as a trade is concerned, I'd be okay with shopping Francisco, who I like. Opening up a spot for Frazier could be important.

If they stand pat, I can see Francis in the pen.

mth123
03-25-2012, 12:44 AM
I saw recently that Boston's looking at him. I think he'd be an asset as a middle innings guy.

As far as a trade is concerned, I'd be okay with shopping Francisco, who I like. Opening up a spot for Frazier could be important.

If they stand pat, I can see Francis in the pen.

Francisco is the only realistic option as a lefty bat on the bench. I don't see him going anywhere.

marcshoe
03-25-2012, 08:21 AM
That's true, and something I keep forgetting about this team.

Johnny Footstool
03-25-2012, 08:31 AM
The Royals would probably be interested in hearing offers for Jonathan Broxton.

membengal
03-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Even with Soria done for the year too?

Johnny Footstool
03-25-2012, 02:42 PM
The Royals are still rebuilding, and Greg Holland is a cheaper (and arguably more effective) option as their closer. They probably want to wait and deal Broxton to a contender later this season, but he's an obvious target for the Reds right now.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Just move Bailey to the pen. We're deeper than most pens out there as is.

Losing Madson mean more innings for Ondrusek and Masset. Not good.

Also, has Bill Bray even thrown a pitch yet?

Kc61
03-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Reds cut Fisher, Zavada, Mahay, Brackman today.

They now have six of the expected relievers on the team. Masset, Bray, Marshall, Ondrusek, Lecure, Arredondo.

Seventh relief spot is available for Chapman, Bailey, Francis.

Reds probably want Chapman as a starter. Bailey and Francis are starters.

Trade for the seventh reliever? Would not be shocked at all.

mth123
03-25-2012, 03:26 PM
If Marshall becomes the closer, they really need a late inning lefty. Chapman would solve that problem, but I'd hate to see him moved out there when he's finally gotten to 5 innings. I was all for keeping Chapman in the pen and passing on spending resources on a reliever, but now that the resources are spent and Chapman is just about stretched out, I wouldn't change now. I'd see how it plays out with Bray and Francis as the 2 lefties unless they can get another for a spare part. I wouldn't trade anything that has a future with the team.

If the Reds let some one else close and keep Marshall in the late inning lefty role, they really don't need to acquire anyone. I'd close with Arredondo, Marshall and Masset Set-up. Ondrusek and Bray in the middle. Lecure and Francis as the long men. That pen would be as deep, balanced and talented as any team in the NL with the possible exception of San Francisco.

Vottomatic
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Reds cut Fisher, Zavada, Mahay, Brackman today.

They now have six of the expected relievers on the team. Masset, Bray, Marshall, Ondrusek, Lecure, Arredondo.

Seventh relief spot is available for Chapman, Bailey, Francis.

Reds probably want Chapman as a starter. Bailey and Francis are starters.

Trade for the seventh reliever? Would not be shocked at all.

Trade.

That would be a panic move, IMHO.

Kc61
03-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Trade.

That would be a panic move, IMHO.

A hasty bad trade would be a panic move.

A well thought out, fair trade, to fill a gap in the bullpen would be a reasonable move.

There is a gap. Madson is, indeed, out for the season. I think any good GM would be exploring options for another reliever.

Particularly since the Reds aren't that well stocked in the AAA pen. And Bray isn't exactly the healthiest guy right now.

They should consider the possibility of a trade IMO.

Vottomatic
03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
A hasty bad trade would be a panic move.

A well thought out, fair trade, to fill a gap in the bullpen would be a reasonable move.

There is a gap. Madson is, indeed, out for the season. I think any good GM would be exploring options for another reliever.

Particularly since the Reds aren't that well stocked in the AAA pen. And Bray isn't exactly the healthiest guy right now.

They should consider the possibility of a trade IMO.

I'd inquire. But I'd wait and see how things go. Any trade partners will try and fleece the Reds right now.

RedsManRick
03-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Without paying a significant cost, I don't see us being able to acquire a guy who's a significant upgrade over the guy who will take Madson's spot in the pen.

Kc61
03-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I'd inquire. But I'd wait and see how things go. Any trade partners will try and fleece the Reds right now.

I agree that it's unlikely that a good trade could be made right now.

You never know, the Reds got Sean Casey for Dave Burba in spring training. I think they finished 9th that year.

Caveat Emperor
03-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Without paying a significant cost, I don't see us being able to acquire a guy who's a significant upgrade over the guy who will take Madson's spot in the pen.

What's the bullpen currently?

Marshall
Masset
Bray
Ondrusek
LeCure
Arredondo

Assuming the resist the temptation to put Chapman in the bullpen, the "replacement" pitcher would likely be Jordan Smith or Carlos Fisher.

I have a tough time believing the Reds can't acquire a better pitcher than either one of them via trade.

Dan
03-26-2012, 06:17 AM
Why can't Bailey be stashed in the pen until he gets straightened out? Go with Chapman in the fifth spot.

Vottomatic
03-26-2012, 07:19 AM
What's the bullpen currently?

Marshall
Masset
Bray
Ondrusek
LeCure
Arredondo

Assuming the resist the temptation to put Chapman in the bullpen, the "replacement" pitcher would likely be Jordan Smith or Carlos Fisher.

I have a tough time believing the Reds can't acquire a better pitcher than either one of them via trade.

Well, I'm guilty of not following the Reds spring training at all. So someone tell me how Josh Judy and Andrew Brackman looked? Or Zavada and Texeira? I saw they were all cut. I thought they were brought in as insurance against someone going down in the pen, and now it looks like they aren't the answer.

Guess I answered my own question. They must not have shown much in ST.

Kc61
03-26-2012, 07:44 AM
I think the Reds have a big decision to make here. The bullpen without Madson is short. Keep in mind Bray hasn't pitched in a game yet.

The easy solution is to put Chapman in the pen, start Bailey. That really bolsters the pen. Except Chapman appears headed to be a starter.

They could stick Bailey or Francis in the pen (and Chappy in the rotation), but that doesn't really help the pen. It just finds a place for a non-reliever on the roster.

I note that the backup relievers were all sent down yesterday. Every one of them. So the Reds seem not to view any of them as filling the Madson relief spot.

A trade does make sense, but only if a good reliever could be acquired at a fair price. May not be possible.

I don't know what they will do. Later this week, Bailey and Chapman will pitch again. That may sort things out.

One surprise candidate for a lot of serious relief action is Logan Ondrusek who has had a great spring. He was very good early last year, but suffered from over use.

Gallen5862
03-26-2012, 09:12 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Cubs Release Trever Miller
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [March 26 at 3:03pm CST]

Miller, who turns 39 in May, posted a 3.80 ERA with 5.1 K/9, 5.1 BB/9 and a 38% ground ball rate in 21 1/3 innings for the Cardinals, Blue Jays, and Red Sox in 2011. He started the season in St. Louis, went to Toronto in a July trade, and signed with Boston after the Blue Jays released him.

Johnny Footstool
03-27-2012, 11:45 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Cubs Release Trever Miller
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [March 26 at 3:03pm CST]

Miller, who turns 39 in May, posted a 3.80 ERA with 5.1 K/9, 5.1 BB/9 and a 38% ground ball rate in 21 1/3 innings for the Cardinals, Blue Jays, and Red Sox in 2011. He started the season in St. Louis, went to Toronto in a July trade, and signed with Boston after the Blue Jays released him.

No.

Kc61
03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Masset now out. Trade for a reliever? They should be thinking about it. Wonder how Brackman is throwing in minor league camp.

Will M
03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/rangers-relievers-drawing-interest.html

It seems that the Reds have what Texas would want in return.
Maybe Heisey & Janish for Uehara, cash & prospect(s). Just throwing it out there but it seems like there could be a trade that would help both teams.

Degenerate39
03-28-2012, 06:04 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/03/rangers-relievers-drawing-interest.html

It seems that the Reds have what Texas would want in return.
Maybe Heisey & Janish for Uehara, cash & prospect(s). Just throwing it out there but it seems like there could be a trade that would help both teams.

What do they do with the outfield if they trade Heisey?