PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 3/25

chicoruiz
03-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Reds:

Dan Wilson (43) -Reds first-round pick in 1990. Dan holds the AL record for career fielding percentage by a catcher. He also holds a record he'd rather not hold: 42 consecutive hitless ABs in the postseason. He's also one of the few players to hit an inside-the-park grand slam.

Others:

Tom Glavine (46) -One of only six lefties to win 300; he should coast into the HOF as soon as he's eligible.

Lee Mazzilli (57) -It must be winter sports day; while Glavine was a hockey star, Lee won eight age-group national titles as a speed skater. He also appeared in a Broadway production of the musical "Tony & Tina's Wedding".

Woodie Held -The only player to play at least 100 games at 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF and RF. Woodie had 20-home-run power, but playing him at short was probably a bit of a stretch.

Dutch Leonard -Not the one who accused Cobb and Speaker of cheating; this was the knuckleball pitcher of a decade or so later. The 1945 Senators featured a starting rotation of four knuckleball pitchers; the catcher, Rick Farrell, probably deserves some sort of trophy for not going completely barking mad.

Clyde Milan -"Deerfoot"; he stole 495 bases in his career. The Senators sent injured backup catcher Cliff Blankenship to Wichita to sign Milan; he complained to Milan that "After this I have to ride all the way to Idaho on a wild goose chase to look at some bush kid". The kid in Idaho was Walter Johnson; not a bad scouting trip...

Bob Borkowski
03-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Tom Glavine (46) -One of only six lefties to win 300; he should coast into the HOF as soon as he's eligible.

I just checked out a biography of Glavine and I was impressed with his many philanthropic activities over the years. A big thumbs up. :thumbup: