PDA

View Full Version : How is it possible?

membengal
03-28-2012, 09:08 AM
How is it possible that the first mlb game of the year is not available on live TV anywhere? Not espn, not tbs, not on the mlb package for satellite/cable, and not even on the sports own network.

Just stunning. And no, I dont consider mlbtv.com on the internet an acceptable alternative. Way to continue to NOT grow the sport mlb. Getting ready for work and my kid for school this morning would have been a nice chance to watch a few innings with him.

Or not.

redsfan30
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
I thought it was on MLB Network??

bucksfan2
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
How is it possible that the first mlb game of the year is not available on live TV anywhere? Not espn, not tbs, not on the mlb package for satellite/cable, and not even on the sports own network.

Just stunning. And no, I dont consider mlbtv.com on the internet an acceptable alternative. Way to continue to NOT grow the sport mlb. Getting ready for work and my kid for school this morning would have been a nice chance to watch a few innings with him.

Or not.

If Coco Crisp and Seth Smith are your 3 and 4 hitters does it count as a major league game?

RANDY IN INDY
03-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Just another nail in the coffin for Selig. Bad enough to open in Japan. Terrible.

blumj
03-28-2012, 09:15 AM
It is now, and Ichiro gets the first hit of the 2012 season, but in real time about 3 hours ago.

membengal
03-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Not live it wasnt.

Because in the age of immediate information, what people yearn for is a tape delayed game in the middle of the work and school week. Lunacy.

membengal
03-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Just another nail in the coffin for Selig. Bad enough to open in Japan. Terrible.

Must they always seemingly be so awkward and short-sighted?

blumj
03-28-2012, 10:06 AM
And Dustin Ackley hits the first HR of the 2012 season. This would be more fun if I didn't already know how it ends. Not that I definitely would have woken up in time to catch Ichiro's hit, but at least give me the chance.

westofyou
03-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Game is on now on MLB and blacked out here

Crud

blumj
03-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Really? Does a local station have their own competing version to be aired even later?

Roy Tucker
03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Tom Verducci of SI seems to think it's a good idea. From an overall global view, I can't say I disagree...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/03/27/japan.opener/index.html?sct=mlb_t11_a0

membengal
03-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Verducci thinks it was a good idea not to offer the game live?

And woy, thats even worse.

pedro
03-28-2012, 10:44 AM
I can't stand this staggered start of the season. I hate it when there are real games and exhibitions on the same day. Just destroys the whole feeling of Opening Day.

Roy Tucker
03-28-2012, 10:49 AM
Verducci thinks it was a good idea not to offer the game live?

No, that having a regular season game in Japan is overall good thing for MLB. That I agree with.

I can understand some A's-Mariners fans being upset about not seeing it. But I guess I'm getting old, but I personally wouldn't get up at 3 AM PDT to watch opening day and I would imagine only the die-hard fans would.

membengal
03-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Shouldnt they be, at least, catering to the die-hard fans? Or even nuturing getting more die-hard fans someday? They literally missed giving me a chance to keep nurturing a nascent interest in baseball with my 10-year-old this morning by not having it live as he got ready for school. I dont care about it being in japan, I do care that it pretty much couldnt be watched live. Ridicluous.

mlb network was showing a replay of a spring training game for petessake. I dont get it.

RedsManRick
03-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I believe it was available on MLB.tv

bucksfan2
03-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Shouldnt they be, at least, catering to the die-hard fans? Or even nuturing getting more die-hard fans someday? They literally missed giving me a chance to keep nurturing a nascent interest in baseball with my 10-year-old this morning by not having it live as he got ready for school. I dont care about it being in japan, I do care that it pretty much couldnt be watched live. Ridicluous.

mlb network was showing a replay of a spring training game for petessake. I dont get it.

No. I think you have it wrong here. The die hards are going to be there regardless. They are the types of fans who are hard to shake, came back after the strike, and will always be there.

You want to cater to the casual fan. You want to bring the casual fan into the ballpark, to the TV, generate their interest. The thing with this game is that MLB didn't advertise it and unless you were a die hard fan you didn't know about it. Heck I didn't even know about it until I saw some of the outrage against it. I think it makes sense, a lot of sense. I don't think anyone would argue that playing real games in Japan is bad idea. The problem is the the travel time, it would be unfair to the teams to play a two game series and have them fly back to the US and play right the next day or day after. You need to give the players a break and let them readjust.

I think the bigger question should be, why are you sending the A's if you want to promote baseball in Japan?

Roy Tucker
03-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I think the bigger question should be, why are you sending the A's if you want to promote baseball in Japan?

Because the Mariners with Ichiro (who is a huge draw and a big hero over there) had to play somebody? And a west coast team made the most sense? So it was either them or the Angels.

I didn't know the game was today either. It's good for the overall global MLB "product", but I personally agree with pedro and don't like Opening Day to be all chopped up like it is now. But given the constraints of just how exactly do you stage a regular season game 12 time zones away, this was probably as good as they can get it.

membengal
03-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Rmr...i mentioned in the thread starter that I dont count that as available live. Talk about limiting eyeballs...only those with means for ipads etc. and that app or comp w/wireless for on the go could watch it? Like I said above, short-sighted. And not a good way to grow your sport...

membengal
03-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Bucks...how does NOT offering it live cater to the casual fan? Again, I dont care that they opened in japan. Fine by me. what was off from my perspective was not celebrating that and putting it on their own network live.

RANDY IN INDY
03-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Why does Japan need our first game of the season? They play their own baseball there. Terrible idea.

gonelong
03-28-2012, 01:21 PM
I think its a bad idea not to televise it, but I think it's a great idea to play MLB in Japan. They play baseball and they understand it. Sounds like a good place to advertise MLB to me.

GL

bucksfan2
03-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Bucks...how does NOT offering it live cater to the casual fan? Again, I dont care that they opened in japan. Fine by me. what was off from my perspective was not celebrating that and putting it on their own network live.

It seemed like MLB really wanted to make a non event out of it. I agree they probably should have shown in on MLB network but what time did the game start 6AM? It really wasn't meant to cater to anyone but the Japaneese.

Ghosts of 1990
03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Still wish we were starting our season on Friday not Thursday...

RedsManRick
03-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Rmr...i mentioned in the thread starter that I dont count that as available live. Talk about limiting eyeballs...only those with means for ipads etc. and that app or comp w/wireless for on the go could watch it? Like I said above, short-sighted. And not a good way to grow your sport...

If the issue is about making it easy for fans to watch the game, I'd say step one is to not play the game at 5 am eastern. Sure, it would be better if it was on national television. But even if was on CBS, how many people would be getting up at 5:00 in the morning to watch it? How many would go in to work late? Go to school late?

Your bottom line point is right -- they wasted a perfectly good opportunity to market the game in the US. But for me, the TV issue was secondary to the timing.

membengal
03-28-2012, 05:45 PM
If they are going to insist on japan, fine, but at least show it live. Thats all. Seems a basic proposition, especially when they have their own network. The time it was on is a self-inflicted wound, but why compound it?

Reds Fanatic
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
The strange thing is MLB network for some reason showed the opener on a 3 hour delay rather than live but tomorrow's game which starts even earlier at 5 AM ET they are showing live.

membengal
03-29-2012, 06:33 AM
Indeed it is!

0-0 in the 7th and I am getting to watch it with my child. Belatedly, well done baseball.

ETA: Actually, now 1-0 thanks to a HR from Smoak. Fun.

membengal
03-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Oof, Cespedes just put a charge into one. 2-1 A's. Good game.

Sea Ray
03-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Is there any explanation for why the 2nd game is being televised live and not the first one? Surely there were no time conflicts at that hour. You'd think with all the cable channels out there, someone would put it on live. Was it live in the Seattle/Oakland markets or on the Extra Innings package? I'm assuming no

cumberlandreds
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Is there any explanation for why the 2nd game is being televised live and not the first one? Surely there were no time conflicts at that hour. You'd think with all the cable channels out there, someone would put it on live. Was it live in the Seattle/Oakland markets or on the Extra Innings package? I'm assuming no

It was on the MLB Network. Root Sports for Seattle was televising the game using a Japan feed. The announcers were in studio in Seattle doing the game. EI did not have the game for whatever reason.

Sea Ray
03-29-2012, 03:23 PM
It was on the MLB Network. Root Sports for Seattle was televising the game using a Japan feed. The announcers were in studio in Seattle doing the game. EI did not have the game for whatever reason.

Did Root Sports show the first game live in Seattle?

gilpdawg
03-29-2012, 05:37 PM

I assume so, I watched part of it on Mlb.TV.

membengal
03-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Yesterday's was NOT on mlb network live, it was tape delayed.

Today's WAS on mlb network live.

It was not on EI either of the days, despite being on Root live for Game 1.

And, no, there is no good reason I have been able to figure out for why not yet.

cumberlandreds
03-30-2012, 08:53 AM

Yes it was live in Seattle and blacked out to everyone else. MLB keeping in tune to make sure its fans have as hard a time as possible to watch their product. :rolleyes:

dougdirt
03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Yes it was live in Seattle and blacked out to everyone else. MLB keeping in tune to make sure its fans have as hard a time as possible to watch their product. :rolleyes:

I don't know about that.... the NFL blacks out non sell outs. MLB doesn't do that. They offer packages for both audio and video to any device you can possibly think of (phone, tablet, computer, gaming system, satellite radio). MLB is probably the most advanced sports organization in the world when it comes to offering technology to its fan base.

REDREAD
03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
If they are going to insist on japan, fine, but at least show it live. Thats all. Seems a basic proposition, especially when they have their own network. The time it was on is a self-inflicted wound, but why compound it?

Yes, I agree.
If the Reds were opening their season in Japan, it would be nice to show the game live. Even if it were just for personal taping reasons, or being able to catch the last innings when waking up. What else could possibly be showing at 5 am on the channels that normally show baseball?

_Sir_Charles_
03-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, I agree.
If the Reds were opening their season in Japan, it would be nice to show the game live. Even if it were just for personal taping reasons, or being able to catch the last innings when waking up. What else could possibly be showing at 5 am on the channels that normally show baseball?

How DARE you!?!

This copyrighted telecast is presented by authority of the Office of the Commissioner of Baseball. It may not be reproduced or retransmitted in any form, and the accounts and descriptions of this game may not be disseminated without express written consent.

Did you get express written consent? :O)

cumberlandreds
03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
I don't know about that.... the NFL blacks out non sell outs. MLB doesn't do that. They offer packages for both audio and video to any device you can possibly think of (phone, tablet, computer, gaming system, satellite radio). MLB is probably the most advanced sports organization in the world when it comes to offering technology to its fan base.

The black out territories are what I'm thinking about. They are crazy. The Reds claim places in Tennessee, North Carolina and I believe Mississippi. If you live in Las Vegas there are eight different teams that claim that as their own. The state of Iowa is something like that too. That's just sheer stupidity. They need to revamp those but Bud keeps saying they are working on it but nothing ever happens. Yes they offer all of those other things but I believe the NFL and NBA do much the same.

IslandRed
03-30-2012, 11:47 AM
I didn't know the game was today either. It's good for the overall global MLB "product", but I personally agree with pedro and don't like Opening Day to be all chopped up like it is now. But given the constraints of just how exactly do you stage a regular season game 12 time zones away, this was probably as good as they can get it.

Right. I think it was a matter of, if they were going to play a series in Japan, they had to do it early so the teams could re-acclimate once they get home; but they didn't want to promote it as Opening Day and detract from the goings-on stateside. So they promoted it like crazy in Japan and low-keyed it here.

Still would have been nice to see it on TV even if it wasn't really promoted, though.

Phhhl
04-01-2012, 03:07 AM
The NFL would never let something like this happen. I love the MLB more than any other sports league, but we aren't adding many friends by doing stuff like this.

RANDY IN INDY
04-01-2012, 09:01 AM
I'll say it again. It's a stupid idea. I could care less about Japan getting to see Major League Baseball, particularly on the first game of the season. An MLB team in Japan will never make any sense. It's our National Pastime. Mess all over the fans in the United States. Great idea.:rolleyes:

The Voice of IH
04-01-2012, 09:25 AM
If you guys really wanted to catch it, you should have spent the money and went ahead and brought MLB.tv.

It's only $120.

mbgrayson
04-01-2012, 11:09 AM

I have the mlb.com premium package, and when I tried to watch live on there first, it told me the games were 'blacked out'. The blackout rules are just crazy: I'm in Montana, and I can't see a game live over the internet because I am in the 'Seattle viewing area', about 600 miles away, and they are playing in Japan.... Really?? Is this supposed to get me to drive to the ballpark on the other side of the earth and buy tickets for the Mariners (I think games were sold out anyway)? These games should have been unblocked for everyone. It seems to me like they just lose lots of ad revenue....senseless.

Luckily though, I do have DirecTv Root sports NW package too. Both of the first two games were live in the Seattle area on the Root Sports network. I was able to watch them live here in Montana on that, because we are considered to be in the 'Root Sports NW' area.

reds1869
04-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Really?? Is this supposed to get me to drive to the ballpark on the other side of the earth and buy tickets for the Mariners (I think games were sold out anyway)?

The blackout rules are all about protecting broadcast rights value. Quite frankly MLB doesn't much care if you get in the car and head to Safeco Field or Japan. As the Angels have shown broadcast rights are the most lucrative source of revenue for MLB teams. I hate the blackout rules, too, but I understand why they exist.

RANDY IN INDY
04-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Its working just great for the Reds.

wlf WV
04-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Yea, and I buy MLB TV package and the only Reds games I can watch are the ones shown on Fox Sports Ohio that I get already.I do not live within local broadcasting range. MLB may do some things right,but blackouts are not one of them.

Dom Heffner
04-01-2012, 10:09 PM

And then have everybody wait a week for everybody else... then a scattered schedule...some teams don't even play on Friday...just a train wreck.

RANDY IN INDY
04-02-2012, 02:48 AM
And then have everybody wait a week for everybody else... then a scattered schedule...some teams don't even play on Friday...just a train wreck.

It surely is. :beerme: