PDA

View Full Version : 'Hunger Games' star Josh Hutcherson to toss out first pitch at April 7 Reds game

savafan
03-28-2012, 05:12 PM
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/28/hutcherson-of-hunger-games-to-toss-pitch-at-redsmarlins-game/

CINCINNATI (CBSMiami/AP) — Actor Josh Hutcherson, who stars in the box-office hit “The Hunger Games,” will throw out the ceremonial first pitch for the Miami Marlins-Cincinnati Reds game April 7.

Hutcherson is a native of nearby Union, Ky., featured in the new movie about teens fighting each other to death in a bleak future. It opened last weekend with a $152.5 million box office, third-biggest ever.

03-28-2012, 05:50 PM
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/28/hutcherson-of-hunger-games-to-toss-pitch-at-redsmarlins-game/

So the Marlins and Reds are fighting to the death that night? That should help the TV ratings ;)

Crumbley
03-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Better him than 98 Degrees guy.

Always Red
03-28-2012, 07:14 PM
My 17 year old daughter informed me of this, and told me that we just HAVE to go to this game. So, this kid must be the latest something...

Degenerate39
03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
...Who?

savafan
03-28-2012, 07:41 PM
...Who?

The latest big thing: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1242688/

dougdirt
03-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, at least the Reds are doing something to keep me out of the ballpark for the first "night" game of the year. Something about being at a park with 15000 little girls who are only there to see some movie star just doesn't make me want to attend. Kind of like opening day, but with people who are just there to say they were there.

Roy Tucker
03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
I think its a good idea. They need to market to people outside of us nutjobs that will go to ballgames through thick or thin. They know they can always get us.

The people they need to get to the games are the ones that can name maybe Joey Votto as a Red but that's about it. People that don't go unless its fireworks night or some pre/post game concert or something like a teen movie star. When you get the mom's and kids and the tweens and the teens and families and young adults at the ballpark, *that's* how you make big attendence numbers.

dougdirt
03-28-2012, 09:44 PM
I think its a good idea. They need to market to people outside of us nutjobs that will go to ballgames through thick or thin. They know they can always get us.

The people they need to get to the games are the ones that can name maybe Joey Votto as a Red but that's about it. People that don't go unless its fireworks night or some pre/post game concert or something like a teen movie star. When you get the mom's and kids and the tweens and the teens and families and young adults at the ballpark, *that's* how you make big attendence numbers.

While I agree with you, "Opening Night" isn't the night you need to do something to bring in teenage girls. That game is likely to do well on its own. Bring the teenage girls and their moms the next night.

BCubb2003
03-28-2012, 10:53 PM
The Reds can't live off the star power of Nick Lachey and Charlie Sheen forever.

Hoosier Red
03-28-2012, 11:01 PM
While I agree with you, "Opening Night" isn't the night you need to do something to bring in teenage girls. That game is likely to do well on its own. Bring the teenage girls and their moms the next night.

I think bringing in the local movie star plays right into the opening night theme.
I like it. And if you won't go, I'll just have to scream like a little girl for both of us.

camisadelgolf
03-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Fwiw, Hunger Games is a very good movie (and book). It's going to make a lot of people stars. Here's an article about how the movie has a 'strong local flavor': http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120318/ENT02/303180024/-Hunger-Games-will-strong-local-flavor

membengal
03-29-2012, 06:18 AM
I think you all who are moaning over "teenage girls" only liking this book are way off the mark. It has nothing in common with the Twilight series frankly, and I would recommend it to anyone. I am 41, a dude, and my 10-year-old son loves the books, as does my 16-year-old daughter.

The Voice of IH
03-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Well, at least the Reds are doing something to keep me out of the ballpark for the first "night" game of the year. Something about being at a park with 15000 little girls who are only there to see some movie star just doesn't make me want to attend. Kind of like opening day, but with people who are just there to say they were there.

Trust me, Hunger Games is not like Twlight. It's very gender mixed. Something about teenagers fighting to the death that makes everyone like it,

EDIT: I just said exactly what Membengal said, before I saw it.

Caveat Emperor
03-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Good books.

This guy was kinda miscast in the movie, though.

dougdirt
03-29-2012, 08:27 AM
I think you all who are moaning over "teenage girls" only liking this book are way off the mark. It has nothing in common with the Twilight series frankly, and I would recommend it to anyone. I am 41, a dude, and my 10-year-old son loves the books, as does my 16-year-old daughter.

Maybe it is just me, but my 23-25 year old friends that also happen to be girls, are the ones who were all over facebook yesterday fawning about this and how they had to get tickets to the game to see him. Didn't see anything about it from any of my guy friends.

membengal
03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Maybe because guys tend not to fawn over things...except for 5-tool prospects. In all seriousness, do yourself a favor and read them. Some superlative sly and pointed criticism of our reality TV culture along with other socio and political threads worth pulling. Heckuva read.

reds1869
03-29-2012, 09:11 AM
My wife (in her mid 30s) loves the books. She read each book in one sitting. We haven't seen the movie yet but the amount of positive press combined with how much my wife enjoyed the books is enough to convince me it is worth a shot. As for having this guy throw out the first pitch, I'll take him over a politician/police chief/business leader any time.

dougdirt
03-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Maybe because guys tend not to fawn over things...except for 5-tool prospects. In all seriousness, do yourself a favor and read them. Some superlative sly and pointed criticism of our reality TV culture along with other socio and political threads worth pulling. Heckuva read.

I don't read books unless they are for educational purposes.

westofyou
03-29-2012, 09:30 AM

What color hair shirt do you prefer?

Roy Tucker
03-29-2012, 09:54 AM
I must say, if Josh Hutcherson is controversial in RZ for throwing out the first pitch, there really is no hope for us. I can see Si Leis or George Bush causing a ruckus, but jeez, people.

I read the 3 Hunger Games books, loved them, saw the movie, loved it, saw Hutcherson in "Bridge to Terabithia" and "The Kids Are All Right", loved the movies. Last time I checked with my daughter, he's not lusted over like Taylor Lautner or Robert Pattinson, he's just a good young actor.

BCubb2003
03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I think it's pretty cool. But is he a stats guy or a watch-the-games guy?

_Sir_Charles_
03-29-2012, 10:36 AM
I think it's pretty cool. But is he a stats guy or a watch-the-games guy?

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Well played. :lol:

RichRed
03-29-2012, 12:53 PM
My wife (in her mid 30s) loves the books. She read each book in one sitting. We haven't seen the movie yet but the amount of positive press combined with how much my wife enjoyed the books is enough to convince me it is worth a shot. As for having this guy throw out the first pitch, I'll take him over a politician/police chief/business leader any time.

My wife really liked them too, and she thought "Twilight" was drivel. Best I can tell, the only thing "Twilight" and "Hunger Games" have in common is that the main characters are young people.

Besides, I bet this Josh kid has a better arm than the mayor.

The Voice of IH
03-29-2012, 03:56 PM

I applaud this, and luckily for you it is about an oppressed society, ruled by a big government that decides who lives and who dies. It is a fiction book that brings in complex themes and political statements that are unseen in critiques and the sort.

WildcatFan
03-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Poor kid. He'll be on the DL within the week.

But hey, he's a Cats fan, so he's OK by my book.

dougdirt
03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I applaud this, and luckily for you it is about an oppressed society, ruled by a big government that decides who lives and who dies. It is a fiction book that brings in complex themes and political statements that are unseen in critiques and the sort.

I will see the movie eventually. But books simply take too much time for entertainment when the odds are a movie will be made and it will take me two hours to enjoy it.

dougdirt
03-29-2012, 04:50 PM
What color hair shirt do you prefer?

I prefer shirts made from tears.

camisadelgolf
03-29-2012, 05:24 PM
I prefer shirts made from tears.
nsfw?
http://www.thefashionpolice.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fashion-crime-ripped-shirt.jpg

dougdirt
03-29-2012, 05:31 PM
nsfw?
http://www.thefashionpolice.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fashion-crime-ripped-shirt.jpg

I was thinking more this:
http://chanarchive.org/content/54_co/23757905/1298520974071.jpg

Blimpie
03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
The mania is quite real.

My wife and two daughters have informed me that they will be accompanying my son and me to this game--solely because of the Hutcherson angle.

smith288
04-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Saw the movie Friday. Good flick and thought provoking. I would rather live in squaller than dress like those freaks in the capital.

Yachtzee
04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
I've read "A Hunger Artist," by Franz Kafka. Does anyone in "The Hunger Games" turn fasting into an art form?