PDA

View Full Version : Earl Scruggs dead at 88

OldRightHander
03-29-2012, 12:30 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/story/2012-03-28/earl-scruggs-banjo-legend-bluegrass-dies/53841194/1

RedsBaron
03-29-2012, 07:06 AM
R.I.P. to a true music legend and innovator.

Sweetstop
03-29-2012, 07:47 AM
R.I.P. to a true music legend and innovator.

indeed.

reds1869
03-29-2012, 07:57 AM
RIP.

Roy Tucker
03-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Yep, R.I.P. Earl.

He could pick it.

pedro
03-29-2012, 10:40 AM
He was a true legend.

dabvu2498
03-29-2012, 11:52 AM
RIP Earl. The best banjo picker of all time.

Enjoy this if you've never seen it.

Earl Scruggs & Steve Martin - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (Best - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw)

4 minutes of musical perfection.

pedro
03-29-2012, 12:30 PM
That was incredible. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Martin's not too bad himself..

VR
03-29-2012, 01:20 PM
The Ballad of Jed Clampett, and Pearl Pearl Pearl (also from The Beverly Hillbillies) are tunes that I will always have in my head.

"don't you marry Lester Flatt, he slicks his hair with possum fat"

The man could pick it.

cumberlandreds
03-29-2012, 02:45 PM
The Ballad of Jed Clampett, and Pearl Pearl Pearl (also from The Beverly Hillbillies) are tunes that I will always have in my head.

"don't you marry Lester Flatt, he slicks his hair with possum fat"

The man could pick it.

That's the way I remember him. He and Flatt were on the Beverly Hillbilly shows and they did the opening theme song. Both were great at what they did.

OldRightHander
03-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Steve Martin might have missed his true calling. I can't get my toes to stop tapping.

redsmetz
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Here's a nice piece Steve Martin wrote back in January for New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/01/steve-martin-earl-scruggs.html

redsmetz
03-29-2012, 04:25 PM

Earl Scruggs & Steve Martin - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (Best - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw)

Anyone able to identify the other musicians playing? I gathered some from Letterman's comments: Marty Stuart on mandolin (Googled "Marty" "Mandolin"), Vince Gill the first electric guitar solo, Albert Lee (who I recognized from the Concert for George concert - easy enough to Google). Of course, Paul Shaffer on the piano.

I saw the Earl Scruggs Revue at a show at UC in their old fieldhouse. On the same bill were Pure Prairie League and also Emilylou Harris.

Folks are always surprised by how good Steve Martin is. Clearly he admired Scruggs.

I first became aware of bluegrass music through the collaboration put together by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Earl Scruggs. It really was a chance to bring together a great number of classic bluegrass performers. The first 3 record set of The Circle Be Unbroken is just a fine, fine album (as we'd say back then).

RedsBaron
03-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Anyone able to identify the other musicians playing? I gathered some from Letterman's comments: Marty Stuart on mandolin (Googled "Marty" "Mandolin"), Vince Gill the first electric guitar solo, Albert Lee (who I recognized from the Concert for George concert - easy enough to Google). Of course, Paul Shaffer on the piano.

I saw the Earl Scruggs Revue at a show at UC in their old fieldhouse. On the same bill were Pure Prairie League and also Emilylou Harris.

Folks are always surprised by how good Steve Martin is. Clearly he admired Scruggs.

I first became aware of bluegrass music through the collaboration put together by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Earl Scruggs. It really was a chance to bring together a great number of classic bluegrass performers. The first 3 record set of The Circle Be Unbroken is just a fine, fine album (as we'd say back then).
Marty Stuart joined Lester Flatt's group, "The Nashville Grass", when he was about age 12. "The Nashville Grass" is the group Flatt formed in the early 1970s after he and Earl Scruggs broke up. Stuart, like everone else in that wonderful video, is a terrific musician...but there was only one Earl Scruggs.

dabvu2498
03-29-2012, 07:03 PM

That's Jerry Douglas on dobro. He's generally considered the "Earl Scruggs" of that instrument. He used to do a lot of stuff with Sam Bush and New Grass Revival.

I was also told that a couple of the other musicians were Earl's sons, but that I'm not sure of.

redsmetz
03-29-2012, 07:34 PM
That's Jerry Douglas on dobro. He's generally considered the "Earl Scruggs" of that instrument. He used to do a lot of stuff with Sam Bush and New Grass Revival.

I was also told that a couple of the other musicians were Earl's sons, but that I'm not sure of.

You are right about that. Both of his sons play in his band and are musicians in their own right.

SunDeck
03-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Bill Monroe, Earl Scruggs and Doc Watson. We only have one left now. If you haven't seen Doc play, you should. Soon.

I used to play on open nights at a place in Covington and many an old picker would come out and make me feel like I should just put my guitar away and listen. These guys were Appalachians; old brick layers, carpenters, ex miners, transplants from the hills of West Virginia, Western Carolina, East Tennessee and Eastern Kentucky.
Earl Scruggs and his generation are the heart and soul of Bluegrass and although there are certainly good and even great young pickers playing today, it's somehow hard to accept that they have the appropriate life experiences, the closeness to the hills, the gospel tradition and the old time music family traditions to carry on what these people started.

I'm sad to see him go.

Larkin Fan
03-30-2012, 12:41 AM

Don't forget that he's been an integral part of Allison Krauss and Union Station over the last decade. Actually going to see them on Sunday when they stop in Columbus. Looking forward to it.

RIP Earl. You're an American treasure and legend that will be missed.

cumberlandreds
03-30-2012, 01:30 PM

That was sensational! Thanks for posting it. I had to have an encore of it after the first time. If your aren't toe tapping with that then your dead.

GAC
03-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Here's a nice piece Steve Martin wrote back in January for New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/01/steve-martin-earl-scruggs.html

That was a great tribute by Martin. Growing up I remember seeing Flatts and Scruggs on shows like the Grand Ole Opry, Midwestern Hayride, and Hee Haw (pickin' with Roy Clark).

The guy was simply amazing. RIP Earl.