PDA

View Full Version : Birthdays: 3/29

chicoruiz
03-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Reds:

Alex Ochoa (40) -A Red in 2000-01. Later won a World Series ring with the Angels and played six seasons in Japan.

Tom Hume (59) -Despite having some good seasons, I never felt like Cincinnati fans really ever warmed up to Hume. I'm not sure why. He was, however, highly regarded as a bullpen coach, which is unusual- many bullpen coaches are just baby sitters and phone answerers, but he apparently took the job to the next level.

Others:

Billy Beane (50) -I guess having Brad Pitt play you in a movie probably doesn't suck...

Denny McLain (68) -The 30-win season and the legal issues are all well-known, so I'll just mention that he was Lou Boudreau's son-in-law for a while, and that he recorded two albums of organ music, which are probably worth something to collectors today.

Tommy Holmes -A great player mostly forgotten because he played for the Boston Braves. In 1945 he hit 28 homers and only struck out 9 times. Held the modern NL hitting streak record pre-Charlie Hustle.

Cy Young -Ever wonder why Cy wasn't one of the original HOF members? I guess there was one ballot for pre-1900 players and one for post-1900 players, and since Cy's career kind of straddled the centuries he didn't get enough votes on either ballot. Nap Lajoie was kind of in the same boat. Anyway, he got in the next year. BTW, Cy holds the career record for losses as well as wins, and neither is likely to be broken.

gilpdawg
03-30-2012, 06:19 AM
I was at a game, probably 10 or 15 years ago, and two guys behind me were giving Hume the business. Calling him Tommy "Boom-Boom" Hume, because that's what the batters did to him. That's not even that clever. Normally I would turn around and engage them in conversation, because I do that at games a lot, but I was alone, and they were morons, so I didn't want to inadvertently set them off and get beat down or something. :D

Bob Borkowski
03-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Billy Beane (50) -I guess having Brad Pitt play you in a movie probably doesn't suck...

While playing in the minors, Beane once roomed with Lenny Dykstra. There must be some kind of a punchline to that statement.