PDA

View Full Version : Interesting quote from Baker

mattfeet
03-31-2012, 10:52 PM
"Baker said the club had "pretty much" decided on a closer without naming him. As for the rotation?

"We have [Johnny] Cueto and [Mat] Latos and Bronson [Arroyo]," Baker said.

Someone asked about Mike Leake.

"I didn't say Leake," Baker replied. Aroldis Chapman and Homer Bailey are also vying for the fifth spot."

Marshall = closer
Leake = Option to AAA until 5th starter is needed. Gives Masset time to recover, and then drop Bailey into the bullpen once Leake comes back, hopefully at the same time that Masset is healthy.

Thoughts?

mattfeet
03-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Scratch that idea about Leake:

"The Reds can’t option Mike Leake to the minors and bring him back to start on April 11 as the fifth starter. A player must be in the minors for 10 days before being brought back.

When asked about the rotation Saturday, Reds manager Dusty Baker didn’t include Leake as a definite."

dougdirt
03-31-2012, 11:00 PM
"Baker said the club had "pretty much" decided on a closer without naming him. As for the rotation?

"We have [Johnny] Cueto and [Mat] Latos and Bronson [Arroyo]," Baker said.

Someone asked about Mike Leake.

"I didn't say Leake," Baker replied. Aroldis Chapman and Homer Bailey are also vying for the fifth spot."

Marshall = closer
Leake = Option to AAA until 5th starter is needed. Gives Masset time to recover, and then drop Bailey into the bullpen once Leake comes back, hopefully at the same time that Masset is healthy.

Thoughts?

Kind of touched on the Leake quote in another thread, but Leake won't be optioned until the 5th starter is needed because you can't bring him up by the time you need the 5th starter.

Superdude
03-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Plot thickens I guess. I don't have a clue what they're going to do, and I don't envy their position much. Leake to AAA would sure be a shock.

Kc61
03-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Leake to bullpen?

fearofpopvol1
03-31-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't buy any of it. Baker knows who the starting rotation will be. He's likely pretending he doesn't know so he doesn't hurt the feelings of others and wants to give off the illusion that things are undecided.

reds44
04-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Scratch that idea about Leake:

"The Reds canít option Mike Leake to the minors and bring him back to start on April 11 as the fifth starter. A player must be in the minors for 10 days before being brought back.

When asked about the rotation Saturday, Reds manager Dusty Baker didnít include Leake as a definite."
But you could sneak him on the DL with a phantom injury retroactive to his last start.

The Voice of IH
04-01-2012, 09:29 AM
I don't understand why Leake is so disrespected by this franchise. He deserves to be the number three starter after his first two years, but instead we are talking about sending him to the minors.

WVRedsFan
04-01-2012, 09:52 AM
I don't understand why Leake is so disrespected by this franchise. He deserves to be the number three starter after his first two years, but instead we are talking about sending him to the minors.Exactly. Dusty works in mysterious ways.

Raisor
04-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm 100 percent sure that if he is sent down it is because he has options left. In a year where the Reds are "going for it" it upsets me that it looks like they won't be going with the best 25 to start the year. Bronson needs to be in the pen.

MartyFan
04-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I am so tired of Dusty being the Manager of the Reds...

FREE REDS FANS!
FREE Pete Mackanin!!!

PuffyPig
04-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't understand why Leake is so disrespected by this franchise. He deserves to be the number three starter after his first two years, but instead we are talking about sending him to the minors.

It's becuase he's the only one with options.

CySeymour
04-01-2012, 11:00 AM

This. And not saying it's right, because I think Leake should be a lock for the rotation.

But this is coming from Dusty, so not sure what Walt's take on the whole thing is.

Tommyjohn25
04-01-2012, 11:20 AM
This has become a spectacle, and it's not neccessary IMO. Dusty knows what the decision is, and the only reason to give a short, cryptic quote like that is to mess with the media and fans. I have backed Dusty for a long time here, but his act is tired and stupid now. He's certainly not endearing himself to alot of people in his contract year.

Vottomatic
04-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I'd love a slow start to the season, Dusty getting fired, a new manager hired, and this team take off to the World Series.

I'm tired of Krusty too.

edabbs44
04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
This has become a spectacle, and it's not neccessary IMO. Dusty knows what the decision is, and the only reason to give a short, cryptic quote like that is to mess with the media and fans. I have backed Dusty for a long time here, but his act is tired and stupid now. He's certainly not endearing himself to alot of people in his contract year.

Or maybe they are talking trade and don't want to show their hand?

Tommyjohn25
04-01-2012, 02:01 PM

It could be. If that's the case then I stand corrected in this instance.

redsmetz
04-01-2012, 02:54 PM

That is my thought.

The Voice of IH
04-01-2012, 05:34 PM

The reason he has options is because he has been so dynamic in his time in the big leagues that they don't send him down. Arroyo is a dam in a river of youth. He needs to be sent out if anyone.

04-01-2012, 06:36 PM
The Reds could be thinking of putting Leake in long relief to start the season, and keep Bailey and Chapman in the rotation. He has done it before, and they did have him relieve on Friday. And he always could move into the rotation at any time, if needed. Of those three, he makes the most sense to move to the pen at this point.

Just a thought.

corkedbat
04-01-2012, 07:40 PM
The Reds could be thinking of putting Leake in long relief to start the season, and keep Bailey and Chapman in the rotation. He has done it before, and they did have him relieve on Friday. And he always could move into the rotation at any time, if needed. Of those three, he makes the most sense to move to the pen at this point.

Just a thought.

Arart the season with Cueto, Latos, Arroyo and Chapman. Send Leake down to start in L'Ville and keep an extra guy in the pen. Give Bailey the April 11 start and then bring Leake up the next time through the rotation.

_Sir_Charles_
04-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Okay. And THEN what? 6 man rotation?

Simplest solution is to start Aroldis in AAA. It has the fewest problems and causes the smallest amount of stress to the starters routines and arms.

corkedbat
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Okay. And THEN what? 6 man rotation?

Simplest solution is to start Aroldis in AAA. It has the fewest problems and causes the smallest amount of stress to the starters routines and arms.

A reliever down and Homer to the pen or deal him.