PDA

View Full Version : Reds trade Juan Francisco to Braves for RHP J.J. Hoover

Krawhitham
04-01-2012, 01:40 PM
From the Reds twitter:

#Reds acquire from Braves RHP J.J. Hoover in exchange for IF Juan Francisco. Hoover assigned to Louisville.

https://twitter.com/#!/Reds

Incredibly stupid move by the Reds

Counting on Rolen to stay healthy is beyond crazy

Frasier as a backup is crazy too

Krawhitham
04-01-2012, 01:43 PM
The Brave will use Francisco to replace Chipper next season

Who the hell are the Reds going to replace Rolen with come this May when he is hurt again

Would have been much better to avoid the options/roster issue by trading Homer

wvreds
04-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Something tells me Walt is not done for the day....... Thats just my opinion .... Maybe we will see Bailey gone today as well??

The DARK
04-01-2012, 01:52 PM
The Brave will use Francisco to replace Chipper next season

Who the hell are the Reds going to replace Rolen with come this May when he is hurt again

Would have been much better to avoid the options/roster issue by trading Homer

Cairo and Frazier. Cairo's done his part these last few seasons (could be a regular starter if we asked him to), and Frazier is ready to be our utility guy with power.

Coopdaddy67
04-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Why's it stupid? Francisco has a long way to go. If Rolen gets hurt, there's nobody on the Reds' roster that can replace him offensively and defensively. All of the alternatives have flaws.

Francisco's having a poor spring after coming into camp out of shape. Maybe the Reds were just tired of waiting for it to click with him? In return, the Reds get a pretty decent pitching prospect who hopefully can contribute in the bullpen later this year.

nux fan
04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
He had four homers, how many does Rolen have

R_Webb18
04-01-2012, 02:08 PM
He had four homers, how many does Rolen have

we have to many strike outs as is

Mutaman
04-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, now we're down to 2 left handed hitters.

nux fan
04-01-2012, 02:12 PM
but strikeouts are ok when they come from stubbs right??

Coopdaddy67
04-01-2012, 02:42 PM
but strikeouts are ok when they come from stubbs right??

Stubbs adds significant value defensively and in terms of speed.

R_Webb18
04-01-2012, 02:47 PM
i never said that

Red Raindog
04-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Why's it stupid? Francisco has a long way to go. If Rolen gets hurt, there's nobody on the Reds' roster that can replace him offensively and defensively. All of the alternatives have flaws.

Francisco's having a poor spring after coming into camp out of shape. Maybe the Reds were just tired of waiting for it to click with him? In return, the Reds get a pretty decent pitching prospect who hopefully can contribute in the bullpen later this year.

his record suggests he'll strike out a ton of guys -- 24 years old -- could be worth a shot

Juan is an all or nothing prospect - IMHO -- more likely not the long term answer

nux fan
04-01-2012, 04:10 PM
stubbs add zero except for fanning the crowd with whiffs

OGB
04-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Exactly, I'll take Frazier and his superior defense, versatility, and overall readiness to hit big league pitching. The last thing the Reds need is a power bat that can't hit breaking pitches and will strike out 150-200 times in a full season.

I don't understand why anybody would be high on Francisco and have given up on Frazier.

OGB
04-01-2012, 05:54 PM
stubbs add zero except for fanning the crowd with whiffs

Much like how you contribute nothing to the conversation here other than amusing me with your foolish remarks?

texasdave
04-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Void that trade immediately. The Reds cannot trade anyone with the nickname, "El Nino Destructor".

nux fan
04-01-2012, 08:21 PM
go away with your love for the 200 plus strikeout artist, wasted first round pick, in fact you contribute as much to the discussion as arturo de Frietas

Grouse
04-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Best trade of the year for the reds. Francisco was doing nothing but slowing down a fast rising reds team. Way over rated because of the homeruns, which is the most over rated stat in baseball by far. I'm Happy. Imagine going from Chipper Jones to Juan Francisco, ouch.

bounty37h
04-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Think its prob a good trade, I never really thought Juan would have much of a successful role on our MLB squad.

nux fan
04-02-2012, 02:43 PM
fast rising reds team, what a optical illusion , who is rising arroyo? stubbs?

jwmann2
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Is it just me or did Juan Francisco look like he had a little bit of a weight problem himself? He wasn't a serious contender for regular playing time. Every year, here comes a brand new guy you've never heard of.

nux fan
04-02-2012, 11:17 PM
we will see how many games the human injury rolen plays I predict 80 at most

texasdave
04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
we will see how many games the human injury rolen plays I predict 80 at most

"the human injury" :laugh: I like it.

nux fan
04-02-2012, 11:22 PM
trading juan a grave mistake

Grouse
04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I would have traded him for J Edgar Hoover. ;)

texasdave
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM

You could be right. He strikes me as a better ballplayer than a number of people on this board are giving him credit to be.

nux fan
04-03-2012, 03:42 PM
way better, the people on this board make all kinds of ad hominum judgments, the guy has never had a chance to play continuously, I wish he had one third the chance of stubbs the human K machine, or Gomes

brm7675
04-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Why is that...he will never be much more then a mid level player who shows no interest in coming to camp ready to go, instead we add another arm...

brm7675
04-03-2012, 04:56 PM
way better, the people on this board make all kinds of ad hominum judgments, the guy has never had a chance to play continuously, I wish he had one third the chance of stubbs the human K machine, or Gomes

So you are okay with him coming to camp out of shape and not fully rehabbed from his previous injury. How is it someone so young has so many issues with the DL? I mean Rolen is old, Juan isn't and look at the amount of time ole "chubby" Juan has spent on the DL in his limited major league career. Stubbs may strike out alot, but he comes to camp prepared and brings multiple postivies to his game while Juan....welll not so much...

nux fan
04-03-2012, 05:18 PM
leave me alone, I dont care a whit or an iota what you think

brm7675
04-03-2012, 06:15 PM
leave me alone, I dont care a whit or an iota what you think

Problem what I think is on target, you know it and it bugs the heck out of you...:)

nux fan
04-03-2012, 06:18 PM
who had more homers this spring an out of shape francuisco or your wate of a garbage strikeout machine

brm7675
04-03-2012, 06:22 PM
who had more homers this spring an out of shape francuisco or your wate of a garbage strikeout machine

I am not looking for Stubbs to be a Home run guy, that is part of the problem why he strikes out so much. How are okay with a guy coming into camp so out of shape and not ready to play? You can improve on strike out ratio, you can't improve laziness...

nux fan
04-03-2012, 06:24 PM
you cannot improve stubbs he is a stubbornprima donna, you will see how productive is when francisco gets a chance, that is the last time I am responding to your useless inanities, stubbs failure to improve last year is mental laziness

brm7675
04-03-2012, 06:39 PM
you cannot improve stubbs he is a stubbornprima donna, you will see how productive is when francisco gets a chance, that is the last time I am responding to your useless inanities, stubbs failure to improve last year is mental laziness

So he gets one year and that's it? How many chances has Juan been given and he shows up fat and out of shape? So instead of letting him continue to be a Red and just put Fraizer in AAA they traded him...hmm tells me that those in the know...knew what they had...

texasdave
04-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Would that make him a 'Stubbs'born prima donna? :laugh:

Ohayou
04-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Francisco strikes out just the same, with an even more frightening walk rate and already mediocre defense. He's no more than a bench player.

nux fan
04-03-2012, 07:59 PM
if he is a bench player then subbs belongs in high school

joshua
04-04-2012, 03:30 AM
Hoover's numbers last year:

2.64 ERA, 10.0 K/9, 3.4 K/BB,

Hoover's numbers from the Futures game:

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.

And here's some quotes from a Braves board about Hoover, concerning the trade:

"He would have likely been in the bullpen as early as late this season. He is a very, very solid right handed reliever."

"Juan Francisco provides depth for the Braves while Chippity is out -- or if he even returns. But giving up JJ Hoover? That was a lot to give up. I would have given up Todd Redmond instead. JJ Hoover is going to be a pretty good middle of the rotation starter and/or middle reliever "

"Everytime I walked into my local minor league stadium (Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs) last season JJ Hoover was on the board showing the International League stat leaders. And now we trade him for some guy that evidently showed up to Spring Training overweight and without having properly rehabilitated his leg issue in the offseason. "

"117 strikeouts in 107 innings. 2.64 ERA. Hoover is a good pitcher. Francisco is one of the worst players that the Braves could get. They already have a power hitter who strikes out a lot."

"Hoover was a top ten prospect for the Braves."

DGullett35
04-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Seems like the kid has a good upside. hopefully he can contribute to the bullpen sometime this year. i like the idea of fresh arms that can throw hard and strike people out come August/September.