PDA

View Full Version : Volquez gets opening day start...

RedsfaninMT
04-01-2012, 04:09 PM
for Padres. Will the end results be the same as this last year? Perhaps pitching in San Diego also makes him turn into a control pitcher.

xavr1
04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Only way he can go is up...unless he gives up back to back to back HRs in the first

adampad
04-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Good for him. I loved Volquez. He was the only reason to watch the Reds the year after they traded Hamilton for him (2008). He was absolutely dominant when he was on.

2009 he was injured and needed TJ surgery. 2010 he was still recovering from TJ and got a 50 game suspension for PED's. When he returned the Reds screwed with his head by sending him to Dayton.

2011 started off incredibly bad on opening day. I'll admit I lost interest in the Reds early last year and didn't watch much. Seemed to me he quit throwing his change up as much, and his control has never been a strong point. His ERA sucked, but strangely his other numbers were not much different than they had been the years before. I believe it rumored that he was tipping his pitches. Reds shipped him to AAA and he seemed to turn things around.

IMHO they Reds handled him badly and he will a very good pitcher for San Diego. His control will get better as he gets older as most do. He will miss bats again if he continues to throw the best changeup in MLB history.

I'm sure Latos will be a fine pitcher as well, but I would rather have Volkie.

bounty37h
04-03-2012, 10:20 AM
I hope he does well. I didnt like the trade at all when we got him, but cant control that or hold it against him. I saw him in Durham when he was rehabbing and he was fun and cool with me-I had seats by the dugout and he talked to me most of the game, gave me a ball, signed a jersey, posed for some neat pictures, was pretty cool overall.

DGullett35
04-03-2012, 12:13 PM
he had 11 walks this spring so his control still is an issue. I see him as a 3rd or 4th starter. The guy can be good but he also can be bad. Kinda reminds me of Fausto Carmona or whatever his name is. Could have been great but turned out to be average, but teams still are holding out hope they are the next Vida Blue.

texasdave
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
No feelings one way or the other. Once a player is gone from the Reds, he is gone. I guess I am rooting for him when he plays St. Louis or Milwaukee. By the way, did he and his wife ever have that kid that were taking all those steroids for? Not so subtle dig.