PDA

View Full Version : Chapman to pen

Krawhitham
04-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Chapman is in the bullpen. Baker: "He's a starter, a very good starter. But Billy Bray isn't ready to be late-inning lefty right now."

https://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/status/186857322159681537

The DARK
04-02-2012, 01:04 PM
I can't say I'm surprised. Bray's struggled with injury and got hit hard this spring training. Marshall is going to be given some closing duties. And we don't have any other good lefty options. Other than sending Arroyo to the pen (for which management isn't ready), optioning Leake (foolish), or getting rid of Bailey (wasteful), there wasn't any room.

It's still good to hear him called a starter by Baker, however hollow that comfort may be. Hopefully he'll get stretched out and used more in long relief, and take up a starting role when somebody falters.

Grouse
04-02-2012, 01:12 PM
What a waste.

[deleted]
04-02-2012, 01:14 PM
And I was riding so high from the Votto news.

osuredleg24
04-02-2012, 01:17 PM
I think they had to keep him in the pen once Madson went out

LeDoux
04-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I would not be suprised if Chapman is starting games before the close of April. There are always injuries and bouts of ineffectiveness. This being said- Dusty does like to pigeon-hole his players.

brm7675
04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
I have to wonder if the Reds are not the dumbess MLB mag't wise...

xavr1
04-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Genuine question: how often (if at all) does a pitcher start the season in the bullpen and eventually make his way to the rotation?

brm7675
04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Well it's clear WHOM is running this franchise...and it's NOT our GM...

Billy Hamilton's Legs
04-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Genuine question: how often (if at all) does a pitcher start the season in the bullpen and eventually make his way to the rotation?

This is my biggest worry. i honestly understand the idea given masset and madson injury. but i just dont see them moving him back to the rotation. this org takes a really long time to make necessary moves (see cozart-janish)

LeDoux
04-02-2012, 02:00 PM

I think it is rare- but happens. The Cards converted Lynn to a starter when Wainright went down last year. However, this process began during ST. But keeping an arm like Chapman's out of the rotation is also rare. It is a unique situation.

brm7675
04-02-2012, 02:09 PM
I am willing to bet there is ZERO chance we see Chapman in the starting rotation this year or ever...Dusty doesn't see him as a starter..

BEETTLEBUG
04-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I am willing to bet there is ZERO chance we see Chapman in the starting rotation this year or ever...Dusty doesn't see him as a starter..

True I agree .

Chris Sabowned
04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
My question is, when one of our starters goes on the DL, who is the next man in?

I hope Chapman is still the next guy in line. I would hate to see Chapman in the bullpen while Jeff Francis or JJ Hoover are getting big league starts.

texasdave
04-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Interesting Baker quote.

"This early in the year, the bullpen does a third to half the work," Baker said. "It only takes one dude to have one bad inning. One dude can have a bad inning and ruin hours of work."

So if the bullpen is doing so much work early in the year why would you go with one less pitcher and one more position player? Dusty burnt out the bullpen last year. Let's hope he learned his lesson. I suppose if it only temporary it could be no harm, no foul. Color me skeptical.

http://www.cnnsi.com/2012/baseball/mlb/04/02/reds.chapman.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a6&eref=sihp

texasdave
04-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Dusty Baker's favorite movie of all-time has to be Baseketball.

Baseketball - Dude - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7sf2O90eu4)

Mutaman
04-02-2012, 05:25 PM
If you want to win this year, this move had to be made. The alternative was wasting Leake down in Louisville while we saw if Bronson , Bailey, and Chappie could get it done.

The botom line is that despite the Madsen debacle, we have now got two terrific pitchers in the bullpen.

Todd Gack
04-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Chapman's more valuable in the pen IMO. I'm happy.

[deleted]
04-02-2012, 05:41 PM
If you want to win this year, this move had to be made. The alternative was wasting Leake down in Louisville while we saw if Bronson , Bailey, and Chappie could get it done.

The botom line is that despite the Madsen debacle, we have now got two terrific pitchers in the bullpen.

No, if we really wanted to win this year, this move did not have to be made. If the FO was truly serious about winning, they'd be letting our five best pitchers make up the rotation. We'd see Latos, Cueto, Leake, Chapman, and Bailey/Francis in as the starting five. "Oh, yeah, but they're paying Arroyo too much to not use him in the rotation, and Bailey is a former first round draft pick who takes too long to warm up to use in the bullpen anyway..."

These are excuses. Excuses used by the fans to let poor management decisions slide. I'm not happy about relegating Chapman to mop-up bullpen duty when he has shown such promise this spring as a difference maker in the rotation, where his value is exponentially higher.

Todd Gack
04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
;2552894']No, if we really wanted to win this year, this move did not have to be made. If the FO was truly serious about winning, they'd be letting our five best pitchers make up the rotation. We'd see Latos, Cueto, Leake, Chapman, and Bailey/Francis in as the starting five. "Oh, yeah, but they're paying Arroyo too much to not use him in the rotation, and Bailey is a former first round draft pick who takes too long to warm up to use in the bullpen anyway..."

These are excuses. Excuses used by the fans to let poor management decisions slide. I'm not happy about relegating Chapman to mop-up bullpen duty when he has shown such promise this spring as a difference maker in the rotation, where his value is exponentially higher.

Isn't Chapman on a innings limit?

brm7675
04-02-2012, 05:44 PM

If "winning" is the desire, having someone of the quality of Chapman in the PEN is NOT how you do that. You either put Homer in the pen as your waste guy, or trade him and go with Chapman in the rotation...

brm7675
04-02-2012, 05:45 PM
;2552894']No, if we really wanted to win this year, this move did not have to be made. If the FO was truly serious about winning, they'd be letting our five best pitchers make up the rotation. We'd see Latos, Cueto, Leake, Chapman, and Bailey/Francis in as the starting five. "Oh, yeah, but they're paying Arroyo too much to not use him in the rotation, and Bailey is a former first round draft pick who takes too long to warm up to use in the bullpen anyway..."

If the choice is Francis, Bailey or Bronson you go with Bronson, put Francis in teh pen and trade Bailey.

drowg14
04-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Chapman should either be starting (maybe in AAA to start the year to stretch him out), or be traded for a LF bat IMO. Having him waste away in the bullpen isn't worth it.

Todd Gack
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Isn't Chapman on a innings limit?

brm7675
04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Who the hell knows...Dusty has no clue, our pitching coach doesn't seem to matter and our GM...well I guess he is letting dusty run the team...

Billy Hamilton's Legs
04-02-2012, 06:24 PM
i didn't think about this before and i'm not sure how it would impact the situation, but if he starts the year in the pen, is it conceivable that if he transitions to the rotation at some point 1/4-1/3 of the way into the season (AAA or ML) he'll be able to finish the year/be in the postseason as a starter?

IMO that shouldnt be a reason to do it, but it might be a way to get the best of both worlds (holding while masset/bray recover and still starting at some point)

jwmann2
04-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I like Chapman as an intimidating reliever in late innings. He will be unable to throw 96+ for five straight innings as a starter.

OGB
04-03-2012, 12:43 AM
I like Chapman as an intimidating reliever in late innings. He will be unable to throw 96+ for five straight innings as a starter.

Why not? He tops out at 105 and it isn't uncommon for SPs to have their fastball consistently hit the 96-98 range.

I don't like him trying to hit 101 plus because he loses control more easily and it could put wear and tear on his arm, but as a starter he should be hitting 95-100 with all of his fastballs.

Girevik
04-03-2012, 12:34 PM
It was such a downer to read this right after reading about Votto's deal. Sure takes some of the excitement out of it. I'm really thinking this may end Chapman as a starter here.

I was looking at this year as "on the job training", and hoping he'd be dominate the next two. Now even if they move him next year he'll just have one year after his ramp up year. I really wish they would have started streching him out when he was sent down last year.....

brm7675
04-03-2012, 01:17 PM

Why not? Justin Verlander seems to do okay..

dubc47834
04-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I have to wonder if the Reds are not the dumbess MLB mag't wise...

This coming from a guy who can't spell dumbest right!!!!