PDA

View Full Version : Votto's agent a sleazeball?

powersackers
04-03-2012, 03:17 AM
I don't want to post a link, and maybe its old news for the ORG. But Votto and Pujols' agent Dan Lozano was subject to an expose last November. Just Google his name and click the first link if you want to read the allegations/truths and see the not work friendly pictures.

I wonder if Votto partakes in some of his services beyond contract negotiation?

mattfeet
04-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Yea, this was posted up prior and it's pretty widely known that Dan Lozano is not someone to model your kids after. I *highly* doubt Votto, or Pujols for that matter, is the type of person to partake in Lozano's extracurriculars.

-Matt

RedEye
04-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I wonder if Votto partakes in some of his services beyond contract negotiation?

Seriously? This doesn't really seem like the type of speculation we're interested in here... at least not in this forum.

Ghosts of 1990
04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Always in the back of my mind..... why would two people as pure as Pujols and Votto associate with a guy like Lozano? For anything.

On the other hand, I know Bruce's agent (Matt Sosnick). As class act as it gets, period.

wolfboy
04-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Always in the back of my mind..... why would two people as pure as Pujols and Votto associate with a guy like Lozano? For anything.

On the other hand, I know Bruce's agent (Matt Sosnick). As class act as it gets, period.

I'd imagine it has something to do with the following: 10 years, 240 million and 10 years 225 million.

MikeThierry
04-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Shocking... a sports agent that's a sleazeball? :D

I thought one of the requirements for a sports agent was to be part sleazeball.

MartyFan
04-03-2012, 12:30 PM
One thing I love about this agent...his entire career is a house of cards. One playing off of and needing another. I think Walt understands this and he may "know where the bodies are" on some things that may really damage this guy...we'll see.

Blitz Dorsey
04-03-2012, 04:40 PM
For anyone interested, here's a link from Deadspin that tells the tale of Dan Lozano:

http://deadspin.com/5861982/dan-lozano-albert-pujolss-superagent-king-of-sleaze-mountain

powersackers
04-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Seriously? This doesn't really seem like the type of speculation we're interested in here... at least not in this forum.

I meant it more rhetorical or even in jest. My team is now invested in everything about Joey V for the next 12 years. Who he associates with for his important decisions is relevant. Maybe I should be asking why would Joey V stick with this guy after the expose?

Blitz Dorsey
04-04-2012, 12:05 AM
I meant it more rhetorical or even in jest. My team is now invested in everything about Joey V for the next 12 years. Who he associates with for his important decisions is relevant. Maybe I should be asking why would Joey V stick with this guy after the expose?

It's a legitimate discussion for sure. Anyone who thinks that the story behind Votto's agent isn't interesting is burying their head in the sand. Frankly, I'm surprised Votto would have this guy representing him. I'm pretty sure any agent could have negotiated Pujols' deal and Votto's deal. I don't see anything special that Lozano did. The only thing I know is that he signed Pujols to the "most owner-friendly deal in MLB history" when Pujols re-signed with the Cardinals 8 years ago. (Not my words, the words of many others. Lozano seems like a wannabe Drew Rosenhaus, who I think actually gets more for his players than what they are worth.)

jojo
04-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Votto's agent may be a sleazeball but he did a great job for his client with this extension.

Blitz Dorsey
04-04-2012, 01:53 AM
Votto's agent may be a sleazeball but he did a great job for his client with this extension.

I submit any agent with a brain could have landed Joey Votto a 10-year, $225-million extension. Market value.

04-04-2012, 02:22 AM
I submit any agent with a brain could have landed Joey Votto a 10-year, $225-million extension. Market value.

Scott Boras couldn't get Ryan Madson market value. It's not as easy as it looks sometimes.

And what was special about what Lozano did, is that he got market value from a team that has no business paying Joey Votto market value. Pretty impressive, if you ask me.

cincinnati chili
04-04-2012, 05:00 AM
Jerry Maguire would have been a lot more interesting if based on this guy.

Blitz Dorsey
04-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Scott Boras couldn't get Ryan Madson market value. It's not as easy as it looks sometimes.

And what was special about what Lozano did, is that he got market value from a team that has no business paying Joey Votto market value. Pretty impressive, if you ask me.

Yeah, Ryan Madson and Joey Votto. Good comparison. (Or not.)

Blitz Dorsey
04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Jerry Maguire would have been a lot more interesting if based on this guy.

Especially if the girls are hotter than Renee Zellweger.

:beerme:

Unassisted
04-04-2012, 04:22 PM
The Pete Rose experience convinced me that it isn't possible for fans to do due diligence on MLB players. Although the fact that he was a Red makes me understand why we should want to do it.

I do trust that the Reds ownership group has the resources and the foresight to hire someone to do a thorough background check on a player before handing him a contract worth hundreds of millions. If there were skeletons in Votto's closet, the deal wouldn't have been done, IMO.