PDA

View Full Version : Who else is excited?

MikeThierry
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm super pumped that the new season starts this week. It seems that spring training has lasted to forever and I'm glad we are finally getting this thing underway. Does anyone have any opening day traditions?

mattfeet
04-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't yet, but the wife and I are going to have a cookout for us and some friends and then watch the game. Should be a lot of fun. Im tempted to go to the parade, but don't want to fight the crowds downtown.

-Matt

MikeThierry
04-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Actually, let me aim the question more towards the opening day menu. Is there anything, besides the usual burgers and brats, that you fix specifically for opening day or special baseball games?

cincyinco
04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Actually, let me aim the question more towards the opening day menu. Is there anything, besides the usual burgers and brats, that you fix specifically for opening day or special baseball games?

Beer.
:beerme:

cincyinco
04-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Seriously, its hard work opening a beer and pouring it to perfection in a frosty cold glass. :)

In all seriousness though, this is my son's 1st ever opening day. He was born just after Midway point last year. Took him to some games when he was 6 weeks which was fun, got pics of him being held by Yonder Alonso and Bill Bray. Pics of him having his Reds onesie signed by Chapman, Frazier, Alonso and Bray.

This year, will be watching opening day from home in the living room, on my brand new couch. Beer will be plentiful and so will couch space. Nothing fancy, just relaxation and Reds baseball with my 8 month old. Looking forward to it.

hebroncougar
04-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm excited for baseball to start, for sure. Not so much, I turn 40 on opening day.

MikeThierry
04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I'm excited for baseball to start, for sure. Not so much, I turn 40 on opening day.

Happy Birthday! :beerme:

RichRed
04-03-2012, 03:11 PM

43 for me!

I'm taking the day off work. I plan to take the maiden voyage on my standup paddleboard on the bay in the morning (don't care how cold it is either, I'm doing it), have breakfast with my wife, maybe a bike ride and/or a nap, then settle in on the couch or the deck with a barley soda to watch the game with my brother. Really looking forward to it. I love when Opening Day falls on my birthday...or is it the other way around?

SunDeck
04-03-2012, 03:27 PM
The premature warming in our region has had me making the mental switch to baseball for nigh on a month. I'm in May form, but the season has yet to start- get on with it, already!

And 47 for me in two weeks- but opening day always makes me 12.

WildcatFan
04-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I normally develop a bad cough around 2 p.m. and have to leave work. I don't know why--it seems to happen every year.

Caveman Techie
04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I always take the day off from work, mainly so I can watch the game but somewhat because I work downtown and traffic is a nightmare on Opening Day.

Anyway, I'll be firing the grill up and will be fixing my household famous sirloin burgers for me and the boy and a grilled salmon steak for the wife. Veggie tray, and my grill-roasted new potatoes (also household famous) will be the side dishes. My mouth is watering already.

RedLegsToday
04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Always take the day off from work to go to the game. Get downtown a little before 9, head to the Sports Page for a goetta and cheese omelete. Then either go tailgating or bar hopping until it's time to watch the parade, or, just keep bar hopping until it is time to get to the stadium.

Caveman Techie
04-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Always take the day off from work to go to the game. Get downtown a little before 9, head to the Sports Page for a goetta and cheese omelete. Then either go tailgating or bar hopping until it's time to watch the parade, or, just keep bar hopping until it is time to get to the stadium.

Go to FirstWatch on 7th street instead of The Sports Page. The omelet's are better and you won't feel like you need a tetanus shot after you leave. ;)

mattfeet
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
^agreed. I LOVE First Watch.

MikeThierry
04-03-2012, 05:48 PM
The opening day for the Cards isn't until next week so I'll probably try to get off work early, get some steaks, some toasted ravioli, some beer, and enjoy the enjoyment.

hebroncougar
04-03-2012, 06:10 PM
The opening day for the Cards isn't until next week so I'll probably try to get off work early, get some steaks, some toasted ravioli, some beer, and enjoy the enjoyment.

Eat some St. Louis style pizza for me. I love Cusanelli's. I've been known to call ahead, get about 40 of them frozen, and make a 10 hour round trip drive. :) My parents were from St. Louis, and most of my family lives there. I was 9 months old when the moved here, thank god........I could be a cards fan!

MikeThierry
04-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Eat some St. Louis style pizza for me. I love Cusanelli's. I've been known to call ahead, get about 40 of them frozen, and make a 10 hour round trip drive. :) My parents were from St. Louis, and most of my family lives there. I was 9 months old when the moved here, thank god........I could be a cards fan!

Imo's is St. Louis style pizza and is always good for delivery pizza. That said, if I want some epic Italian food, I'm going to the Hill. That's almost like old school Brooklyn right there.

_Sir_Charles_
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Seriously, its hard work opening a beer and pouring it to perfection in a frosty cold glass. :)

In all seriousness though, this is my son's 1st ever opening day. He was born just after Midway point last year. Took him to some games when he was 6 weeks which was fun, got pics of him being held by Yonder Alonso and Bill Bray. Pics of him having his Reds onesie signed by Chapman, Frazier, Alonso and Bray.

This year, will be watching opening day from home in the living room, on my brand new couch. Beer will be plentiful and so will couch space. Nothing fancy, just relaxation and Reds baseball with my 8 month old. Looking forward to it.

Try to limit it to ONE beer for your son. Gotta pace him...it's a long season. :beerme:

hebroncougar
04-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Imo's is St. Louis style pizza and is always good for delivery pizza. That said, if I want some epic Italian food, I'm going to the Hill. That's almost like old school Brooklyn right there.

Cusanelli's is too! I've never had Imo's, though I've been told it was similar. Cusanelli's only has one restaurant, on the West side of town off of Lemay Ferry Road.

Vottomatic
04-03-2012, 06:35 PM
I'M EXCITED!

MikeThierry
04-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Try to limit it to ONE beer for your son. Gotta pace him...it's a long season. :beerme:

pace one's self on beer... what does that mean? :lol:

Tom Servo
04-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Jessie Spano Caffeine Pill Freakout! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bflYjF90t7c)

gilpdawg
04-04-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm actually going to the game for the first time....so I'm mega excited.

_Sir_Charles_
04-04-2012, 09:24 AM
pace one's self on beer... what does that mean? :lol:

Not for us. Just his 8 month old son. :O)

OldRightHander
04-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Only tradition I have is attending the game, 21 in a row now.

redsmetz
04-04-2012, 09:36 AM
My wife & I have bought Power Pack tickets the last two years. Since our oldest daughter decided to come in from DC for Opening Day and Easter, I had to scramble for another ticket & one of the attorneys at my wife's office had an extra, so we're all heading down. I've lost track of which number this is - but it's been sometime since the early 80's, maybe late 70's that I've gone with only a couple of Openers missed.

Mike, you really need to be in Cincinnati to understand what a day this is, like nowhere else really. As for us, my daughter & I will meet my wife at our church in Clifton where she'll park her car. We'll head downtown for the parade and then grab some lunch somewhere downtown (possibly Skyline Chili) then head over to the game.

We'll have to scoot quickly after the game to make it to Holy Thursday mass, but our pastor is a Reds fan, so when I mentioned that Opening Day was that day, he said he'd push mass back until 7:30. I am not kidding you. Great guy!

I am very pumped for the season to start.

elfmanvt07
04-04-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm unbelievably pumped. I'm thinking about buying MLB.tv this year.

Knowing how big of a deal Opening Day is in Cincinnati, my friend received an e-mail from the Mets, practically begging him to buy more OD tickets. I chuckled.

redsfan30
04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Tom,

If the "rep point" system were still in place here, I would dish out 1,000 of them for the Jessie Spano clip! Lololol

As for tradition, this will be my 9th Opening Day in a row in attendance and 10th overall. My wife and I got married last July so this will be our first Opening Day married. We are a two hour drive from town so we will head out around 9:30 or 10:00 to make it to town at noon or a few before. From there we will grab some Skyline and head down to the new block party by the Banks for an hour or so and bar hop. From there it's off to the stadium to watch Bill Cunningham and the guys do part of thier show then it's off to the seats! Depending on how hungry we are afterwards, we may hit up Montgomery Inn.

I was slightly concerned that going to the Showcase game last night would de-value Opening Day slightly....not at all. If anything, it just made the itch even stronger for real baseball!

WildcatFan
04-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm unbelievably pumped. I'm thinking about buying MLB.tv this year.

Knowing how big of a deal Opening Day is in Cincinnati, my friend received an e-mail from the Mets, practically begging him to buy more OD tickets. I chuckled.

Get MLB.tv. I wish stupid blackout restrictions would let me watch it. I had to shell out $65/month for cable for the next six months until I can cancel it in November.

MikeThierry
04-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Mike, you really need to be in Cincinnati to understand what a day this is, like nowhere else really. As for us, my daughter & I will meet my wife at our church in Clifton where she'll park her car. We'll head downtown for the parade and then grab some lunch somewhere downtown (possibly Skyline Chili) then head over to the game.

I have always heard that Cincy's opening day is pretty cool. The Cards have a very cool opening day too. You have the Clydesdales lead all the players in. Generall all of the HOFers show up. After that, Stan Musial is introduced. Seeing Stan on the field gives me chills everytime.

_Sir_Charles_
04-04-2012, 02:02 PM

<-- Jealous as hell. Have fun ORH.

Roy Tucker
04-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Jeez, I want to be you guys.

I'll be working like I do every other daggone day. Do the GameCast thing and watch the game thread on RZ between meetings.

I need to get out more.

Ghosts of 1990
04-04-2012, 03:11 PM
This will be my 8th straight opener in Cincinnati. Plan on getting to 20 God willing. Yes, I am excited. The Votto contract has me giddy.

cincrazy
04-04-2012, 03:20 PM

Since we're Facebook friends, you're taking me to the game right?

HeatherC1212
04-04-2012, 03:28 PM
My work has a tradition where we have a company wide picnic with hot dogs, brats, hamburgers, and this year we've added coneys to the mix, along with popcorn, chips, non alchoholic drinks (we do still have to work, LOL), and other random items to celebrate Opening Day. We're all allowed to wear Reds gear (with dress pants though, no jeans *pouts*) and it's a pretty festive atmosphere all day at work. I love having an owner who is a die hard Reds fan! He always tries to make this day fun for everyone (most folks here are huge Reds fans). The game will be on just about everyone's radio when the pregame stuff starts and this year, most people will probably be rushing home as soon as possible to try to catch the rest of it on TV (yay for the later start time!). One of these days I'll actually get to attend Opening Day although we are attending Opening Night again this year which was a really fun night last year. And hey, this year I get to see Mat Latos' first official start as a Red! :)

Reds Fanatic
04-04-2012, 03:43 PM

I'll be working like I do every other daggone day. Do the GameCast thing and watch the game thread on RZ between meetings.

I need to get out more.

You are not the only one stuck at work. I have to work as well but as Heather mentioned the good news of the later start time is hopefully I can get home in time to catch at least the last few innings on TV.

redsmetz
04-05-2012, 11:03 AM
My son took off today up in DC to watch the game. He just wrote on his Facebook wall about the time we took him out of school for Opening Day and called it in saying he had "scarlet fever." :)

That reminded me of my oldest daughter getting McAuley High School off for Opening Day - they had a free day they earned for raffle ticket sales (or something like that) and she suggested to one of the teachers that they ought to do Opening Day and the administration agreed!

It doesn't get any better than that, right?

My clients always know I'll be off on Opening Day. I actually did work for the Reds many years ago and they've never cancelled my contract with them. I never cancelled it either because if I go to a day game, my secretary can honestly say to people calling in, "he's at a client's today."

wolfboy
04-05-2012, 11:10 AM

I need to get out more.

Got into the office this morning, looked out the window and saw a giant picture of Cueto with "Play Ball" next to him on the GABP video board. While I'm bummed that I can't be down at the game, how could I not be excited?

M2
04-05-2012, 11:22 AM
What's got me excited is I really think this is going to be the start of a good rest of the decade.

crazybob60
04-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I think excited is an understatement right now. I will be rooting the Reds on this afternoon from my cube.

Hoosier Red
04-05-2012, 12:24 PM
What's got me excited is I really think this is going to be the start of a good rest of the decade.

What has me excited is seeing a post from M2. :)

Heading to Skyline for good luck at 1, then waiting for my boss to leave so I can be in my car at least by 4.

bucksfan2
04-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Leaving around noon to head down. It will be my 8th straight Opening Day.

MikeThierry
04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
What has me excited is seeing a post from M2. :)

Heading to Skyline for good luck at 1, then waiting for my boss to leave so I can be in my car at least by 4.

What does Skyline taste like? I know it's chilli but all chilli's are different.

Hoosier Red
04-05-2012, 12:57 PM
What does Skyline taste like? I know it's chilli but all chilli's are different.

Hmmm, that actually stumped me oddly enough. For someone who's point of reference is chili, I'm not sure what to explain as it is different then most chili.

I'd say it's sweeter then most other chili. It's also thinner than traditional chili which is why it's generally seen on top of spaghetti or a coney.

wolfboy
04-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Gah! There's an outsider amongst us!

HeatherC1212
04-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm excited! GO REDS!! :jump:

dabvu2498
04-05-2012, 01:17 PM

It tastes like heaven.

CySeymour
04-05-2012, 01:34 PM
No other day of the year compares to Opening Day!!! I hope to hear a whole bunch of "And this one belongs to the Reds" this season!

MikeThierry
04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I would like to wish the Reds good luck this season and look forward to the epic battle between the Reds, Cards, and Brew Crew this season. Should be a ton of fun.

wolfboy
04-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I would like to wish the Reds good luck this season and look forward to the epic battle between the Reds, Cards, and Brew Crew this season. Should be a ton of fun.

Right back at 'ya Mike. :beerme:

CySeymour
04-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Same to you! Play Ball!

:beerme:

blumj
04-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I tried a mock Skyline chili recipe once, which was kind of silly because I have no way of knowing if it came out anything like it's supposed to, but if it did, I don't really get the appeal.

Hoosier Red
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Oh yeah, well eat worms! We'll have none of your classless Cardinal fans on this board! ;)

Enjoy the season, should be fun.

MikeThierry
04-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh yeah, well eat worms! We'll have none of your classless Cardinal fans on this board! ;)

Enjoy the season, should be fun.

We aren't that bad. We aren't Cubs fans, lol.

RBA
04-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Listening to WLW on I Heart Radio app, didn't know until today that Katie Morgan does weather on WLW. :eek:

Roy Tucker
04-05-2012, 05:08 PM
We aren't that bad. We aren't Cubs fans, lol.

That got an audible laugh out of Roy.

Cubs fans are lower than whale poop.

wolfboy
04-05-2012, 05:11 PM
That got an audible laugh out of Roy.

Cubs fans are lower than whale poop.

Placing Cubs fans in the same sentence as whale poop is just unfair

to whale poop.

MikeThierry
04-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Cubs fans bashing: Something both Reds and Cards fans can agree on :D

cincyinco
04-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Got the couch, got the game kn.. Had me a Haystack Sandwich (steak and hashbrowns).. And a fuller's ESB..

And no Sir Charles, no beer for the kid.. :)

_Sir_Charles_
04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
LOL. That's just not fair...hoggin' all the brewski's for yourself. :O)

MattyHo4Life
04-05-2012, 09:33 PM

it doesn't taste like most chili. too bad they don't have any around here. then i wouldn't have to make it myself. lol

MikeThierry
04-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Matty, how are you doing man? I haven't seen you here in a while.