PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Janish to Phillies

MartyFan
04-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I was listening to one of the ESPN Podcasts last night from Friday, Mach 30 with Eric Karabell and Mark Simon. During the program somewhere around the half way point they mentioned a rumor that Paul Janish was potentially going too the Phillies.

Has anyone else heard about this at all? I haven't heard anything in this regard but I am out of the loop recently.

Benihana
04-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Janish is the missing piece that gets the Phillips-for-Hamels deal over the hump ;)

medford
04-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Does this mean the Reds get back Cole Hamels? :)

mattfeet
04-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I read this as a rumor about 3-4 days ago. Havent heard anything since. Itll be interesting to see if it develops.

-Matt

MartyFan
04-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I read this as a rumor about 3-4 days ago. Havent heard anything since. Itll be interesting to see if it develops.

-Matt

OK, I hadn't heard anything else about it and thought, if it gets the Reds a minor league a/aa position player with potential then go for it...not sure what the Phillies have in that regard that would be justified in giving for Janish.

Roy Tucker
04-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Mentioned here....

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillies_zone/Bench-auditions.html

Sea Ray
04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I would think they'd want to stash Janish in AAA in case Cozart gets hurt or something

Patrick Bateman
04-03-2012, 02:38 PM
After the Votto deal, something had to give in relation to Janish.

MikeS21
04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
True. The Reds just couldn't afford to keep Janish. :p

REDREAD
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM
As crazy as this sounds, I hope this trade doesn't happen.

Janish's trade value has got to be very low.
Why trade the depth at infield for a non-prospect.
Yes, Janish sucks, but we are really only 3 deep at middle infield.
If we get an injury, it would be nice to call up Janish as opposed to throwing some kid to the fire that is not ready.

reds44
04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Yeah I'm about as big of a Janish hater as there is, but trading him doesn't make a lot of sense.

MikeS21
04-03-2012, 03:20 PM
As crazy as this sounds, I hope this trade doesn't happen.

Janish's trade value has got to be very low.
Why trade the depth at infield for a non-prospect.
Yes, Janish sucks, but we are really only 3 deep at middle infield.
If we get an injury, it would be nice to call up Janish as opposed to throwing some kid to the fire that is not ready.
On the other hand, you might actually get better results throwing a kid into the fire, than you would get playing Janish for any length of time. Janish can play defense - no question. But his bat causes me to wonder how much worse one of the youngsters like Gregorius might be.

Tom Servo
04-03-2012, 04:00 PM
The team isn't big enough for the both of them.

Caveat Emperor
04-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Janish is the definition of a fungible asset. Glove guys with no stick are a dime a truckload.

Blitz Dorsey
04-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Maybe there will be a 2-for-1 deal. Reds deal Janish and a current member of the 25-man roster in order to free up space for Simon on the Reds' 25-man.

Don't forget that Valaika can play SS in a pinch. Not ideal of course, but I'd be fine with going with him over Janish if something happened to Cozart. Also, Valdez can play there. Perhaps the team doesn't view Janish as the best "backup" option to Cozart and therefore Janish has very little value to the team. I would appreciate the Phils taking him off our hands if we could get a decent minor league pitcher in return or something.

corkedbat
04-03-2012, 04:14 PM
If the Reds get anything close to what they got for Francisco - why not. Valaika and Negron there for emergencies in L'Ville and the future is in AA.

REDREAD
04-03-2012, 04:35 PM
On the other hand, you might actually get better results throwing a kid into the fire, than you would get playing Janish for any length of time. Janish can play defense - no question. But his bat causes me to wonder how much worse one of the youngsters like Gregorius might be.

If Gregorious is good enough to be in the Reds' future plans, why rush him and burn up option years? Let's say Cozart goes on the DL for a month.. having Gregorious ride the pine on the Reds for a month will just delay his development.

Janish is kind of like the Corky Miller at SS.. Stash him at AAA. Hope you never need to call him up.

If we could actually get something of value for Janish, I'd trade him.. but let's face it.. we would just get trash for him.. I am not 100% sure, but didn't Janish already clear waivers at one point? (Maybe I am remembering wrong).

Vottomatic
04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Janish for Hamels. Mark it down. :laugh:

traderumor
04-03-2012, 04:39 PM
That has some irony in light of the Valdez deal.

savafan
04-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Why not convert Janish to a pitcher? ;)

corkedbat
04-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Why not convert Janish to a pitcher? ;)

Because there is no DH, he doesn't hit well enough to pitch.

RED VAN HOT
04-03-2012, 04:50 PM
That has some irony in light of the Valdez deal.

Absolutely. Reds traded Horst for Valdez. Now Phillies are short an experienced middle infield backup and the Reds are short LH relievers. Perhaps the Reds could get Horst plus one (minor league second 10 Philly prospect) in return for Janish. Less than that and I would want to keep Janish. Hold out Walt. Philladelphia's need is greater than Cincinnati's.

_Sir_Charles_
04-03-2012, 05:04 PM
FWIW, I'd want to keep Janish. I actually prefer him over Valdez. Janish has a better glove than Valdez and their bats are virtually identical. I know Wilson has a 30 point edge in career OPS, but Paul's also had the higher of the two in single season OPS. And I know it's spring training and all...but Paul actually looked pretty good during ST. Regardless, I think he's more versatile, a better defender and the bats are basically a wash...so I take the better glove.

Sea Ray
04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
I think we can all agree that Janish isn't a valuable trading chip and that SS is an area where the major league club is quite thin so I'm puzzled why anyone would welcome a deal. I wish we weren't so weak at SS that we could actually use Janish but such is the state of our Reds