PDA

View Full Version : Finding a Gym for Youth Basketball Training

Razor Shines
04-03-2012, 11:33 PM
I need a little help. I am trying to start giving some you basketball lessons and actually have a good deal of interest already.

My problem is gym usage. I'm very green at this and not sure how to pursue it. I thought I had a gym through someone I know at a school but it fell through at the last minute when they found out I was doing it for profit. Even though I thought that was obvious from the beginning.

I've called a couple schools and the hourly rates I was quoted are ridiculous. It looks like I need to get creative. If anyone has any experience with this or any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Assembly Hall
04-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Doing it for profit will present alot of obstacles as far as finding a "free" place.

But anyway, back quite a few years ago a guy I worked with coached a youth team. The league they played in was at the local YMCA. His problem was that he wanted to have practices and couldnt find any gym space availabe. The Y had non-stop stuff going on. And since it was the heart of the b-ball season, the local schools could not help him out. Other coaches had the same problem. They ended up approaching a local wealthy businessman with their problem. They got him to build a gym. It was basically a pole barn with a full court gym inside it. But it was complete with a few bleachers, score boards, and two restrooms that doubled as locker rooms. To off-set the cost, and to make profit, the businessman started running men's leagues, women's leagues, senior citizens leagues, etc. But for the kids, there was no charge.

I know what you are doing is a tad different. But maybe you could find someone that is willing to finance and build a private facility.

redhawkfish
04-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Have you tried any churches that have gyms/multi-purpose centers?

dabvu2498
04-04-2012, 09:09 AM
What about the schools the kids themselves actually attend? Maybe try and coordinate it with their school coaches?

Roy Tucker
04-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Find an outdoor court somewhere.

Razor Shines
04-05-2012, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Got some good ideas to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slyder
04-05-2012, 04:32 PM
What about the schools the kids themselves actually attend? Maybe try and coordinate it with their school coaches?

You have to becareful with coordinating with coaches. I don't know the age with which you'll be training but many of the supervisory boards (such as WVSSAC) have very stringent rules against coaches having ANY contact or ANY role in off-season activities (outside of what is allowed by the supervising board) and could cost players eligibility at the secondary level.