PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

DGullett35
04-04-2012, 04:09 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview12/story/_/id/7769406/and-world-series-winner

Reds

What's cooking: Once Albert Pujols, Prince Fielder and Tony La Russa headed down the NL Central exit ramps, the Reds shifted into go-for-it mode, trading for Mat Latos and Sean Marshall, and signing Ryan Madson (oops!). At least they now have the next decade to watch Joey Votto work his MVP magic. Brandon Phillips has that walk-year motivation heating up in his oven. And Jay Bruce "looks like he's ready to come into his own," said one NL exec. You should get ready, though, for lots of reminders that this is the last season on Dusty Baker's contract. So this team's agenda is clear: Win or … uh-oh. Well, there's enough talent here to win. But …

Missing ingredients: Hard as I tried, I couldn't find a single scout in Arizona who liked what he saw from the Reds this spring. "A high-strikeout team with no closer," said one. Another said, "Their biggest issue isn't the loss of Madson. It will be lack of innings from their starting pitchers, and how much pressure that puts on their bullpen." But unfortunately, that isn't the only issue. Latos "isn't a No. 1 starter for me," said one scout. They'll run unknown quantities out there at short [Zack Cozart], catcher [Devin Mesoraco] and left field [Chris Heisey]. Scouts continually talked about how sloppily they played all spring. And if they get off to a raw start, Baker's lame-duck status will become a huge topic. So as talented as the Reds may be, "they've taken a step backward," said one scout.

This was from a peice from jayson stark of ESPN. I dont really care what other scouts think of our players because I think this years team is primed for a huge year, however it does seem odd that he says he couldnt find one good thing to say about the Reds this spring and one scout says they took a step back??? WHAT?? with all the talent we brought in??. I need to stop reading articles on ESPN. they just end up pissing me off half the time.

tedies
04-04-2012, 05:05 AM
well 1, ESPN always hates on cincy teams and never seems to give them any sort of air time if they don't have to... Also its spring training, what team has all their starters going deep into ballgames in spring training? none. All that matters is winning regular season games. Scouts can be stubborn and ignorant

The DARK
04-04-2012, 05:18 AM
I don't get the innings worries of starting pitchers. It's not like any of them are rookies or on pitch counts. We have 2 longmen in the bullpen anyway, and a man that we expect to take up the closer role in Sean Marshall. All of the strikeout worries are coming from the outfield, whilst Votto and Hanigan are two of the most patient hitters I've ever seen. Our unknown quantities are generally likely to be improvements upon last season (Cozart>Janish, Heisey>Gomes).

Basically, I'm seeing mountains made out of the usual spring training bumps in the road. Much of this team consists of generally slow starters. It's fine to reserve judgement about whether we're actually pennant contenders (I do myself), but I find it foolish for scouts to say we've taken a step back when we've done nothing but improve around the diamond.

RedsBrick
04-04-2012, 08:27 AM
For a scout to wonder if the Reds have what it takes is one thing, but to say "they've taken a step backwards" is completely ridiculous.

Assembly Hall
04-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Wow! Interesting to say the least.

Redsnake
04-04-2012, 08:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview12/story/_/id/7769406/and-world-series-winner

Reds

Missing ingredients: Hard as I tried, I couldn't find a single scout in Arizona who liked what he saw from the Reds this spring. "A high-strikeout team with no closer," said one. Another said, "Their biggest issue isn't the loss of Madson. It will be lack of innings from their starting pitchers, and how much pressure that puts on their bullpen." But unfortunately, that isn't the only issue. Latos "isn't a No. 1 starter for me," said one scout. They'll run unknown quantities out there at short [Zack Cozart], catcher [Devin Mesoraco] and left field [Chris Heisey]. Scouts continually talked about how sloppily they played all spring. And if they get off to a raw start, Baker's lame-duck status will become a huge topic. So as talented as the Reds may be, "they've taken a step backward," said one scout.

Sloppy play in spring training? Really? Thats got to be a first.

Latos "isn't a No. 1 starter for me," said one scout. Ask the scout if the Reds staff is better with him or without him.

They'll run unknown quantities out there at short [Zack Cozart], catcher [Devin Mesoraco] and left field [Chris Heisey].
Doesn't every team do this at the start of spring training. Young talent progress and moved up a level.

"And if they get off to a raw start, Baker's lame-duck status will become a huge topic. So as talented as the Reds may be, "they've taken a step backward," said one scout."
Taken a step backward? Sorry that happened last year. Not saying it won't happen again.

smixsell
04-19-2012, 01:08 PM
For a scout to wonder if the Reds have what it takes is one thing, but to say "they've taken a step backwards" is completely ridiculous.

We have taken MORE LIKE 2 or 3 STEPS BACKWARD in the area of playing good tight baseball. That's what the scouts were talking about. It's not Spring training anymore and the Reds are still sloppy as ***t. Almost unwatchable.