PDA

View Full Version : Doc Rodgers on 1530 knocking the Votto signing

SidneySlicker
04-05-2012, 01:15 PM
What a doofus. He sat there and talked about how bad big contracts are and then compared it to contracts of pitchers Barry Zito, Mike Hampton, etc. Compare it to a position player you moron.

Also lamented the fact that you pay for 10 and get 5 good years out of the player. Votto plays 1st base the least physically demanding position on the field. Votto is a tireless worker, while he may not be what he is now at the age of 31, I have no doubt that he'll still be one of the top 10 first baseman in baseball.

The DARK
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
If anybody's worth keeping on the books for 12 years, it's a perfectionist but humble star 1st baseman with good plate discipline who reached free agency earlier than most. I understand the reservations (which I have too), but I can't think of another MLB player I'd rather have under contract for this long.

nux fan
04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
these contracts never work out, see Kevin Brown

SidneySlicker
04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, or AJ Burnett.

brm7675
04-05-2012, 01:43 PM
these contracts never work out, see Kevin Brown

True you don't give Pitchers long term deals, but for position players you have more flexability and since the chances of the DH coming to the national league in the near future is strong, Votto could move to DH in the latter part of that deal. In a perfect world you don't do double diget year contracts, but once that barrier is broken you either sign the player or trade them, and it's tough to build a fan base off with a revolving door of players.

SidneySlicker
04-05-2012, 01:46 PM
True you don't give Pitchers long term deals, but for position players you have more flexability and since the chances of the DH coming to the national league in the near future is strong, Votto could move to DH in the latter part of that deal. In a perfect world you don't do double diget year contracts, but once that barrier is broken you either sign the player or trade them, and it's tough to build a fan base off with a revolving door of players.

Yes especially when Votto is as close to a home grown superstar as they've had in a long time.

SidneySlicker
04-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I think the Votto contract also makes Cincinnati a more viable free agent destination. They have a player that other players want to play with. Someone who can get other players better pitches to hit etc. Now I'm not saying that the Reds would or should go out and pay big dollars to a free agent, because I don't think that's the case. It may though get them the second tier player that they need to fill out a roster in the future.

Moosie52
04-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Personally, I don't know why an owner would give any player a 10 year extension. But then I've seen these contracts go bad with my favorite hockey team (see Alexi Yashin and Rick DiPietro).

R_Webb18
04-05-2012, 02:32 PM
ppl say they never work out which is true but you could also look at sample size. either way worry about it in 5 yrs

Krawhitham
04-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Also lamented the fact that you pay for 10 and get 5 good years out of the player. Votto plays 1st base the least physically demanding position on the field. Votto is a tireless worker, while he may not be what he is now at the age of 31, I have no doubt that he'll still be one of the top 10 first baseman in baseball.

The NL will have a DH soon, owners want it, players wants it. The only people who not want it is the Fans. But with interleague play all season long starting next year they will add the DH soon

Todd Gack
04-05-2012, 02:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, he basically said that the first part of his contract is that you're hoping to get him for the cheap at like 14 mill a year while the last half you just hope he's productive at 25/year and hope it evens out well.

I like signing Votto long term, but this is certainly a risky contract.

brm7675
04-05-2012, 03:23 PM
If I'm not mistaken, he basically said that the first part of his contract is that you're hoping to get him for the cheap at like 14 mill a year while the last half you just hope he's productive at 25/year and hope it evens out well.

I like signing Votto long term, but this is certainly a risky contract.

What sports contract that is guarenteed not risky?

Nosirrah
04-05-2012, 06:52 PM
It's definitely risky, and I cringed a bit when it became clear that it was a 10-year extension vs. 8-year.

However, I'm still incredibly giddy. It shows the commitment to winning that we want from our owners, despite the risk. Keep your best players, your homegrown talent.

As "foolish" as Larkin's 3-year extension might have been, I'm glad to say that Barry's going into the Hall of Fame as a lifetime Red. There's something valuable in that phrase "lifetime Red". Bench, Larkin, Votto - all Hall of Famers and lifetime Reds, in the era of free agency.

I think this contract will be smart in the end. Payroll will increase, media rights will increase, and franchise value will increase. In 2023, Votto's pay will be "reasonable" given the other factors.

jwmann2
04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Comparing Joey Votto to most players is a big mistake. One of Major League Baseball's most versatile players. Not a huge fan of Doc Rogers and his after game show. Sounds like a fantasy nerd that has never picked up a bat in his life.

redsfanmia
04-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Comparing Joey Votto to most players is a big mistake. One of Major League Baseball's most versatile players. Not a huge fan of Doc Rogers and his after game show. Sounds like a fantasy nerd that has never picked up a bat in his life.

He was a minor league pitcher and worked in baseball as a minor league coordinator for many years.

I like Votto but 12 years is too long to sign any player. How will did the Griffey contract work out?

R_Webb18
04-05-2012, 08:10 PM
He was a minor league pitcher and worked in baseball as a minor league coordinator for many years.

I like Votto but 12 years is too long to sign any player. How will did the Griffey contract work out?

not well but still does not mean this ends well

Todd Gack
04-05-2012, 08:47 PM
What sports contract that is guarenteed not risky?

This isn't 'just another contract.'

Ohayou
04-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Debatable, for sure, but I think people mistakenly just look at the years and dollars and make the conclusion based on that.

The inherent risk is that he'll decline and that the last few years of the contract will be an albatross. On the other hand, the Reds are locking up a great player before he hits free agency. New TV contracts are generating (and will continue to generate) a ridiculous influx of cash into the sport in the next few years and the recent Dodgers sale will cause all of the other teams' valuations to increase. Plus, halfway through this contract, there will be a handful of other players making more money, so if you compare his production to theirs, it's possible that he'll actually be something of a bargain (relatively speaking and it's all hypothetical). It's similar to the thinking of the Rockies when they locked up Tulowitzki (before he hit the open market) in 2010. That looks like a stroke of genius now compared to some of the other deals being handed out.

He's 3 years younger than Pujols, and he's the same age as Fielder, but he's actually in good shape. All things considered, I think this is a good signing for a team on the rise.

Old NDN
04-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Doc Rodgers is full of himself. He values his opinion way more than most people do.

NorrisHopper30
04-06-2012, 10:49 AM

Doc is actually the opposite :laugh:.

fielder's choice
04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
It's risky for sure, but the fact is we won't know if it's a good deal for awhile. One thing's for certain though, Doc is a moron and should never be taken seriously.

IamRV
04-06-2012, 06:30 PM

Egg Zachrey!

brm7675
04-06-2012, 06:43 PM
This isn't 'just another contract.'

It is just another contract...how is it not?

brm7675
04-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Doc Rodgers is full of himself. He values his opinion way more than most people do.

There is a reason Doc is on the radio and not working in MLB...

brm7675
04-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Egg Zachrey!

Can't compare the two at all. Different style of players, different positions, different ages, different roles on teh team...can't compare.

redsfanmia
04-06-2012, 08:04 PM
There is a reason Doc is on the radio and not working in MLB...

I thought I heard that Doc has a brain tumor or brain cancer and was not doing well.

I like the guy and think he is pretty knowledgable.