PDA

View Full Version : Players you have man crushes on.

MikeThierry
04-05-2012, 01:16 PM
I was reading an article on ESPN about David Freese and Chipper Jones was quoted as saying he had a man crush on him. That got me thinking a bit. What players, on your favorite team or a far, do you have a man crush on?

One of those players is Lance Berkman. He is the heart and soul of the Cards. One of those guys you really appreciate on your team and will do anything for the team.

Another guy that I love watching to play and will always like is Tulo. He is about as smooth of a defensive infielder that there is today and is a stud at the plate. I could sit down all day and watch clips of him play but not get tired of it.

Derek Jeter. He is a person that every woman wants to be with and every guy wants to be. I appreciate what he has meant to the Yankees all these years and I appreciate his legendary status off the field :lol:

klw
04-05-2012, 01:18 PM
She's not a man but I think Heather likes Joey Votto.

LoganBuck
04-05-2012, 01:30 PM
I love me some Brett Lawrie right now. I would so love to see him in the Reds longterm plans somehow.

kbrake
04-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Adam Dunn for a long time. Joey Votto more and more every day.

PuffyPig
04-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I was reading an article on ESPN about David Freese and Chipper Jones was quoted as saying he had a man crush on him. That got me thinking a bit. What players, on your favorite team or a far, do you have a man crush on?

One of those players is Lance Berkman. He is the heart and soul of the Cards. One of those guys you really appreciate on your team and will do anything for the team.

Another guy that I love watching to play and will always like is Tulo. He is about as smooth of a defensive infielder that there is today and is a stud at the plate. I could sit down all day and watch clips of him play but not get tired of it.

Derek Jeter. He is a person that every woman wants to be with and every guy wants to be. I appreciate what he has meant to the Yankees all these years and I appreciate his legendary status off the field :lol:

Derek Jeter? I think unless you are a Yankee fan, you think he's one of the most overrated players who ever played. He's a first class A-hole.

I've always liked Lance Berkman as a player, but have always questioned why he let himself get so fat and out of shape, bringing into question his commitment to his team.

MikeThierry
04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Derek Jeter? I think unless you are a Yankee fan, you think he's one of the most overrated players who ever played. He's a first class A-hole.

I've always liked Lance Berkman as a player, but have always questioned why he let himself get so fat and out of shape, bringing into question his commitment to his team.

Well I am a Yankee fan, lol. They are my AL team. :laugh:

I think part of why Berkman "let himself go" was because he was playing 1st base and his injuries limited his ability to get in shape some years. I know coming into the 2010 season, he wasn't able to work out as much. He didn't change his eating habits and he blew up.

cinreds21
04-05-2012, 02:35 PM
I have the biggest crush possible on Giancarlo Stanton and have for a while.

wolfboy
04-05-2012, 02:45 PM

What is it about 75 WAR over the course of his career that makes him "one of the most overrated players who ever played?"

PuffyPig
04-05-2012, 02:57 PM
What is it about 75 WAR over the course of his career that makes him "one of the most overrated players who ever played?"

Probably those 5 gold gloves for a below average fielding SS.....

His lifetime defensive WAR is -14.7.

Look at it this way, Jeter has about the same WAR as Barry Larkin lifetime, yet Jeter's made about 3 times as much money.

I didn't say Jeter wasn't good, he's just not a generational talent like he's made out to be. Overrated with a Capital "O".

RedsManRick
04-05-2012, 03:07 PM
For me it's Evan Longoria, Troy Tulowitski and Carlos Beltran. I've always loved guys who are smart and just do everything well. Maybe that comes from idolizing Larkin as a kid.

wolfboy
04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Probably those 5 gold gloves for a below average fielding SS.....

His lifetime defensive WAR is -14.7.

Look at it this way, Jeter has about the same WAR as Barry Larkin lifetime, yet Jeter's made about 3 times as much money.

I didn't say Jeter wasn't good, he's just not a generational talent like he's made out to be. Overrated with a Capital "O".

Adam Dunn is "good." He'll be lucky to put up 35-40 WAR in his career, which is roughly half of what Jeter amassed to date. His career defensive WAR sucks you say? That makes his lifetime overall WAR even more impressive. He got paid a lot more money than Larkin? They played in different eras and New York is three times as big as Cincinnati. So what? He got some gold gloves he didn't deserve? Yeah, tell me that's never happened before in the history of baseball.

It's no secret that some people just don't like Derek Jeter, but the arguments that he's not among one of the better players we've seen over the last 20 years is just crazy to me. Most overrated in the history of baseball? Hyperbole with a capital "H"

p.s. - Initially I thought my response to this thread would be no one. I've now discovered that I have a man crush on Derek Jeter. :owned:

Degenerate39
04-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Jay Bruce

reds44
04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Edwin Encarnacion.

It's easy to have man crushes on good players, I go for mediocre ones.

RedsManRick
04-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Adam Dunn is "good." He'll be lucky to put up 35-40 WAR in his career, which is roughly half of what Jeter amassed to date. His career defensive WAR sucks you say? That makes his lifetime overall WAR even more impressive. He got paid a lot more money than Larkin? They played in different eras and New York is three times as big as Cincinnati. So what? He got some gold gloves he didn't deserve? Yeah, tell me that's never happened before in the history of baseball.

It's no secret that some people just don't like Derek Jeter, but the arguments that he's not among one of the better players we've seen over the last 20 years is just crazy to me. Most overrated in the history of baseball? Hyperbole with a capital "H"

p.s. - Initially I thought my response to this thread would be no one. I've now discovered that I have a man crush on Derek Jeter. :owned:

As somebody who has played the "Jeter actually sucks at defense" card a time or three, I agree with this whole-heartedly.

He's a career .313/.383/.449 hitter, good for 10th high wOBA (.369) all time among SS's with 5000+ PA (Larkin is 12th). So, he didn't play great defense? Well, by the all-star break, Jeter will have more plate appearances as a SS than any player in the history of the game. He'll finish his career with at least 5 seasons worth of plate appearances more than Barry.

Jeter is definitely overrated defensively. But he's probably underrated as an offensive player, if that's possible. Is he the best SS of all-time? No. That's clearly Honus Wager on a tier of excellence all by himself. But then you have about a dozen guys who all belong the in the conversation for the second tier (depending on how you want to discount the positional switches of A-Rod, Ripken and Yount) and there's no doubt whatsoever Jeter is part of that group.

MikeThierry
04-05-2012, 04:07 PM
lol I didn't mean to make this into a thread about Derek Jeter. I just like the guy. An intangible thing that no stat can quantify is the pressure of playing on the Yankees and being the Yankee captain. Playing in that city, on that team, and being the guy at the center of it all is one of the hardest pressure things to do in sports. It's just simply a different animal all together. Plus, like I said before, his off the field "exploits" are legendary as well. When we talk about man crush, stats don't rule the day for me.

Stanton is also a good call. He is a mountain of a guy and hits some of the longest homeruns I have seen in years.

cinreds21
04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
And he has an amazing body.

RedlegJake
04-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Billy McCool. He was only a couple years older than I when he was drafted, he was out of southern Indiana High School, threw flames, and the Reds had to keep him due to the baby bonus rules of the time. I was crazy about McCool. Besides how much cooler a name is there than McCool?

Art Shamsky. I don't know why but I was sure he was destined for superstardom and did not know why the Reds didn't play my hero every day!!!! He smashed three straight homers at one point, 2 as a pinch hitter, and I was sure the brass saw the light then but they TRADED HIM!!!! to the Mets!~!~ WTH? Oh what foul cruel fates do taunt our fair heroes!! I was mad at them for half the next season...

Today - I am quite enamored in a baseball sense of Scott Rolen and how he has approached his career. I really wish Bowden had been able to get him here a decade ago instead of seeing him go to Saint Lou. Even old and past his prime he is still a heckuva third basemen when healthy. He can still outplay all but a handful of the younger 3rd sackers - kids like Zimmerman - to realize how old he is and see him make a great play is to realize how incredible he used to be. I appreciate watching him in a Reds uni now - I just hope he stays healthy this season.

I like Votto as much as any hitter the Reds have had in my lifetime outside of Frank Robby. I just like to watch him play - he has old school written all over him. If you aged a film of Votto hitting and playing first, made it yellow and grainy with age, and ran it through a reel to reel player you'd swear you were watching a player from my dad's era at work. A fitting inheritor to the O'Neill-Beckley-Daubert-Bottomley-McCormick-Kluzewski-May-Perez-Votto line of first basemen that have played in Cincinnati.

OldRightHander
04-05-2012, 11:58 PM
I love to watch a good pitcher at work, doesn't matter who it is, especially one with a smooth easy delivery. I remember sitting in the stands at Riverfront in the early 90s being mesmerized watching Jose Rijo, even to the point when I wasn't too disappointed when the Reds went down quickly because I would get to see him pitch sooner.

Larkin was my other one. Everything just seemed so smooth with him, a joy to watch with the bat or the glove.

mth123
04-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Like Most Cincy Fans who fell in love with the game in the mid to late 60s, Pete Rose was my first. As I got a little older, I came to appreciate Tony Perez more and he is still probably my favorite of all time.

Through the years:

Mario Soto, Barry Larkin, Adam Dunn, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce

Non Reds:

Bob Gibson, Wllie Stargell, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Ryne Sandberg, Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Mike Piazza and Troy Tulowitzki probably topped my list

MikeThierry
04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Like Most Cincy Fans who fell in love with the game in the mid to late 60s, Pete Rose was my first. As I got a little older, I came to appreciate Tony Perez more and he is still probably my favorite of all time.

Through the years:

Mario Soto, Barry Larkin, Adam Dunn, Joey Votto and Jay Bruce

Non Reds:

Bob Gibson, Wllie Stargell, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Ryne Sandberg, Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Mike Piazza and Troy Tulowitzki probably topped my list

There was something about Mike Piazza's swing that left you amazed. To me, his swing and followthrough was absolutely beautiful.

bucksfan2
04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Currently is Joey Votto and Scott Rolen.

Watching a healthy Scott Rolon is priceless. Its like watching the game be played the way it should be.

From yesteryear: Barry Larkin

marcshoe
04-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Originally, Rose. Then Nolan and Foster, Soto, Larkin. Strangely, Mariano Duncan, as an ex-Dodger who went over to the light for a while. Bruce, currently, and with the extension, I can allow myself to get attached to Votto. Non-Reds were mostly Pirates, beginning with Clemente. And Rolen was a favorite back in the early days, even.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Barry Larkin, Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman, Mat Latos

Mike Piazza, Vladimir Guerrero, Clayton Kershaw.

*BaseClogger*
04-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Currently: Dustin Pedroia, Starlin Castro, Eric Hosmer, Zack Greinke, David Price, Pablo Sandoval, BJ Upton, Cory Luebke, Mike Minor, Erik Bedard, and Lorenzo Cain.

I used to have the biggest man crushes on Nick Markakis, James Shields, and Dan Haren.

(Most of this is a result of fantasy baseball)

RedLegsToday
04-06-2012, 03:01 PM
For Reds, Eric Davis for sure.

Barry Bonds, both before and after steriods.

WMR
04-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Javy Valentin and Joe Randa

Always Red
04-06-2012, 07:46 PM
For Reds, Eric Davis for sure.

Made the game look easy when he was healthy. Effortless grace.

I only saw an old Willie Mays when I was a kid (late 60's, early 70's), but I imagine those few years Davis had before he was hurt were very Wille-Mays-like.

I think Davis had more natural talent than any of the BRM stars except maybe Bench.

Ghosts of 1990
04-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Bruce. Bryce Harper. Cam Newton

Playadlc
04-06-2012, 09:38 PM
I have the biggest crush possible on Giancarlo Stanton and have for a while.

This.

I also have Desmond Jennings' name scribbled all over my trapper keeper as well.

Tom Servo
04-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Definitely Rolen and Votto on the Reds. Very similar to what RedlegJake said, I find both of them to seem like throwbacks and I very much enjoy watching them play.

For other teams, I'm a big fan of Jose Bautista, Joe Mauer, Eric Chavez, and Victor Martinez. I also have quite the man crush on Dustin Ackley.

vic715
04-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Micky Mantle was my first baseball hero,then Pete came along.Was hard to not wanna be Johnny Bench either.

Cedric
04-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Joey Votto. Joseph Votto. Joe Votto.

jojo
04-07-2012, 11:21 AM
John Olerud. Possibly the most charismatic ballplayer of the 20th century.

VR
04-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Josh Hamilton
Young KGJ

reds44
04-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Bruce. Bryce Harper. Cam Newton
Cam is a good one if we go into other sports. Love that guy.

Dom Heffner
04-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Things like "Yankee Captain" are why people don't like Derek Jeter.

He's overrated, if he played anywhere else, nobody would care. I mean, he's a good ballplayer, but people don't talk about Willie Mays the way they talk about Jeter.

I hear about the "pressures of playing in New York" and I'm reminded of that scene in Jerry Maguire where the guy cries on Forestone's show talking about how nobody understands the pressures of playimg for millions of dollars.

Dom Heffner
04-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Man crush? Votto and Matt Kemp. Watching opening day in San Diego, Matt Kemp was the best player on that field times two.

vaticanplum
04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Javier Vazquez. Still, and I still don't understand why he needs all this time with his family. Very different kind of crush than the one I have on Derek Jeter.