PDA

View Full Version : Philips deal close?

Jr's Boy
04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Discussion on the ORG.Walt said he hopes to have something done within the week!If they can get Brandon signed for the next several years,we shore up the right side,as well as have the best double play tandem in the NL.Castellini and Jocketty will make a huge statement if we get Brandon locked up as well.

SidneySlicker
04-05-2012, 03:16 PM
That would be fantastic news. Lets go Walt get it done!

The DARK
04-05-2012, 03:25 PM
4 years, 55 million seems reasonable to me. More than that is overpaying.

Krawhitham
04-05-2012, 03:33 PM
They might be close on money but they are not close on years

BP wants 6 or more years, Reds want 4 years for less

Krawhitham
04-05-2012, 03:34 PM
If they lock down every position long term what are they going to do the minor players knocking on the door?

R_Webb18
04-05-2012, 03:36 PM
If they lock down every position long term what are they going to do the minor players knocking on the door?

votto back loaded.

you have to spend more money tho.

and most have yrs to go

Jr's Boy
04-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Thought he was looking for 5 years.I would offer 4 with a team option for the fifth.

brm7675
04-05-2012, 04:21 PM
MLB network feels Brandon should get a better deal then Uggla with the Braves got...not sure I agree at this point with whom we have in the minors...

jwmann2
04-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Best news I've heard all week. I was afraid he would be sulking over Votto's contract. Establishing veterans in the system and then adding young talent is how you win titles. Aside from that, I would like to see Chapman as the closer and Heisey in center over Stubbs.

KYRedLeg
04-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Per MLBTraderumors:

ESPN's Jim Bowden hears that the Reds offered Phillips a five-year deal in the "neighborhood" of $62.5-65MM

SidneySlicker
04-05-2012, 10:37 PM
People need to get over the concern for the minor leaguers. If they don't need them they'll trade them for a position of need. They are assets, no one said that they have to be kept and played in the majors. The question is this is a Didi Gregorious or a Billy Hamilton in 2 or 3 years going to be better than what Brandon Phillips can give you? If you believe so then you don't offer as much and find a stop gap. If you don't believe so then you go after BP hard.

Krawhitham
04-06-2012, 02:15 AM
ESPN's Jim Bowden hears that the Reds offered Phillips a five-year deal in the "neighborhood" of $62.5-65MM

That is insane

BP is a career .272 who had a career year last season average wise

He will not repeat it and his speed & power are already declining at a rapid rate

Last 2 seasons he has averaged 15 SB with 11 CS

He has gone from a 30-30 man to a 18-16 man, basically he is half the man he use to be.

Yes his defense is amazing, but his production is only average

Last season he was (for 2nd basemen)
10 in HR
12 in SB
11 in BB
5th in R
7th on OPS
2nd in CS

He is very middle of the road with a bat, but wants Dan Uggla money. That is insane. No glove is worth 13 million and the bat would be easy to replace

DGullett35
04-06-2012, 04:45 AM
DatDude is the 3rd best 2nd baseman in the entire league behind Cano and Pedroia. That bat that is so weak is our best option at leadoff, and the guy can hit anywhere in the lineup. I think his bat is plenty good enouph. The guy has been productive for a few years now. He deserves to get paid and actually wants to stay. I say give him the money he wants but for 4 years and a team option for a 5th. He puts people in the seats guys and is a fan and clubhouse favorite. Organizations want guys like that. He does more than just help this team on the field. You have to think about it that way too..IMO I kind of see him as the face of this franchise more so than Votto, at least at this point in time. Pay the Man!!!

Sorry. I gues you could put him 4th best behind Cano, Pedroia, and Kinsler but all them are from the A.L. and I think hes better than Uggla

Red Raindog
04-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Per MLBTraderumors:

Whan has Leatherpants been right?

Big Red Hoss
04-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I agree with the earlier comment. Nothing over 4 years. 5 is pushing it. BP is worth a little extra. His bat may not have the power but he is an everyday consistant ballplayer. Solid at everything he does. Plus he is a good leader.

Alpha Zero
04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
I really like BP, but I'm not sure a 5 year extension would be a good thing. The Reds' system is deep with middle infield prospects, and I think HRod's bat will be ready next year even if he's not the best glove guy. I think that by 2014, two of Gregorious, Hamilton, Cozart, and HRod may be better than BP plus one of those guys.

I hope it works out, and I'd actually be okay with a 3 year deal with a club option for a fourth. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the deal will be a couple years longer than I'd like. I guess we can pray that the Reds will be tapping into some new revenue streams in the near future and will have a payroll topping $100MM in the next couple of years. That would make this more palatable.

Stray
04-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Phillips takes care of himself. I don't think his production is going to be terrible when he's 36ish. I'd prefer 4 years, but I'm definitely okay with 5.