PDA

View Full Version : Scoreboard Watching 2012

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

traderumor
05-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Bryce Harper just went deep for his first career home run....and flubbed another routine fly in RF

oneupper
05-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Isn't Harper a converted catcher or something?

Degenerate39
05-14-2012, 10:55 PM

Drafted as a catcher then they moved him to the outfield to get him in the bigs sooner

OesterPoster
05-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Maybe the Reds can catch a break facing the Yanks for once. Nova left the game tonight, hobbling on one leg. Noted Reds killer Raul Ibanez just left the game too after getting drilled in the elbow.

dougdirt
05-14-2012, 11:13 PM

Yes. He has less than 65 games played at any given outfield position in his life and less than 150 total in the outfield ever.

traderumor
05-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Guess he better be shagging some flies then.

05-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Guess he better be shagging some flies then.

Considering he's a MLB player, I imagine he has plenty of experience shagging ;)

Big Klu
05-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Considering he's a MLB player, I imagine he has plenty of experience shagging ;)

YEAH, BABY!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers-1-.jpg

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Bryce Harper just went deep for his first career home run.

And got what was probably the first-ever curtain call for a first career home run. A rather pedestrian 3rd inning HR that made a 3-1 game a 4-1 game. A bit over the top, if you ask me.

reds44
05-15-2012, 01:25 AM
And got what was probably the first-ever curtain call for a first career home run. A rather pedestrian 3rd inning HR that made a 3-1 game a 4-1 game. A bit over the top, if you ask me.
That's not even close to being true.

WVRedsFan
05-15-2012, 01:40 AM

So true for a sub .250 hitter.

OnBaseMachine
05-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Cubs first three hitters single off Lohse. 1-0 Cubs in the first inning and they have runners on first and third with no outs.

OnBaseMachine
05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Lahair grounded into a double play to score the second run. Soriano then doubled and Stewart singled him in. Cubs lead Kyle Lohse and the Cardinals 3-0 after a 1/2 inning.

MikeThierry
05-15-2012, 03:33 PM
LaHair continues to kill the Cards and ties up the game 4-4. He now has something like 5 hr's against the Cards. Insane.

dougdirt
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
LaHair continues to kill the Cards and ties up the game 4-4. He now has something like 5 hr's against the Cards. Insane.

BABIP is what, .475? The home runs are real, but that average/OBP is going to drop big time soon enough. But I hope it is after the Cards series.

brad1176
05-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Cubs take the lead on a double by Reed Johnson, 5-4 Cubs. Marc Zalkrfvlekrfpoierwtmn comes on for Lohse.

Tom Servo
05-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Phillies just blew a 3-1 lead in the 9th off of 8 great innings by Cliff Lee. Yeesh.

MikeThierry
05-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Cubs take the lead on a double by Reed Johnson, 5-4 Cubs. Marc Zalkrfvlekrfpoierwtmn comes on for Lohse.

Just call him Scrabble :D

reds44
05-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Just call him Scrabble :D
You can't call him scrabble. His last name has 2 Z's. Only one Z in the box.

MikeThierry
05-15-2012, 03:48 PM

I've called him The Zepper as well.

Playadlc
05-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Peavy dominating again today. 5 scoreless innings against the Tigers.

Wouldn’t shock me to see him in the Cy Young running, if he stays healthy.

MikeThierry
05-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Craig singles and ties up the game 5-5.

Reds Fanatic
05-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Cards and Cubs are now tied a 5 through 7 as Allen Craig drove in the tying run. Craig is on fire for Cardinals. 3 for 3 today and is now hitting through 46 ABs on the year .413 with an OPS of 1.311

MikeThierry
05-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Matt Carpenter aka "Lou Gehrig Jr" hits a home run and the Cards go ahead in the bottom of the 8th.

Tom Servo
05-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Peavy dominating again today. 5 scoreless innings against the Tigers.

Wouldn’t shock me to see him in the Cy Young running, if he stays healthy.
Boy did you jinx him. 6-5 game now.

Reds Fanatic
05-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Soriano homers in the 9th to tie the game 6-6.

Tom Servo
05-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Matt Carpenter aka "Lou Gehrig Jr" hits a home run and the Cards go ahead in the bottom of the 8th.
Stop trying to make Lou Gehrig Jr happen, it's not going to happen.

MikeThierry
05-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Stop trying to make Lou Gehrig Jr happen, it's not going to happen.

I'm saying that sarcastically because people in St. Louis have gone crazy over this guy and I'm not seeing it. He's a good utility player but will be exposed if given an every day opportunity.

_Sir_Charles_
05-15-2012, 04:31 PM

I liked Mark Alphabet personally.

MikeThierry
05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I liked Mark Alphabet personally.

Good call Sir Charles.

Molina singles and brings in the winning run.

PuffyPig
05-15-2012, 05:29 PM
While Cards win, it's always nice to see Motte give up a game tying HR, while the Cards get their 5th straight poor start from its rotation.

Freese is down to a .822 OPS which was expected. Holliday heating up, again to be expected. As the sample sizes gets larger, players will tend to reach their norms.

Carpenter is a good back up to be sure, I also expect he'll get exposed the more he plays. But he's shown some decent power. If he shows his OBA skills he demonstrated in the minors, he could be a decent regular.

WildcatFan
05-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Man, just saw this video of Will Rhymes from today's game.

http://deadspin.com/5911001/rays-infielder-will-rhymes-passed-out-after-being-hit-by-a-pitch-tonight

He was hit in the arm by a pitch (sickeningly loud) then passed out from the pain. It never ceases to amaze me when guys trot down to first after being plunked by a fastball seeing things like this and Jay Bruce getting his arm broken by a pitch.

VottoFan54
05-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Man, just saw this video of Will Rhymes from today's game.

http://deadspin.com/5911001/rays-infielder-will-rhymes-passed-out-after-being-hit-by-a-pitch-tonight

He was hit in the arm by a pitch (sickeningly loud) then passed out from the pain. It never ceases to amaze me when guys trot down to first after being plunked by a fastball seeing things like this and Jay Bruce getting his arm broken by a pitch.

It's amazing that he was uninjured after that incident. That video is pretty wild.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-17-2012, 12:30 AM
That's one of the scariest things I've ever seen in baseball. Hopefully Rhymes gets back soon.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Well, at least the dirty birds lost today in San Francisco. :beerme:

WVRedsFan
05-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Noticed Volquez was up to his old tricks? Against LA tonight he had 91 pitches through 5 innings, allowing 7 hits and 5 runs while allowing 3 walks. Volquez, who apparently rarely pitches outside of Petco (6 of his 8 starts have been there), sees the benefit with his sterling ERA of 3.04. OTOH, Aaron Harang has Five innings of 2 hit shutout ball. Makes you wonder, albeit briefly.

blumj
05-17-2012, 11:58 PM
That's one of the scariest things I've ever seen in baseball. Hopefully Rhymes gets back soon.
They said on tonight's broadcast that he's apparently okay, just day-to-day with the forearm bruise, and he brought out the line-up card before the game.

WVRedsFan
05-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Listening and watching the SD-LA game tonight, it reminds me how wonderful both the TV and radio guys are. Vin on TV and Charlie Steiner on radio. I hate the Dodgers, but the broadcast team is first class.

WVRedsFan
05-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Harang with seven innings of three hit shutout ball. I'm out. Must be bored to do this, but it was a lot more fun than today's fiasco at Citi. Since I'm a big Harang fan, he's allowed only 3 earned runs in his last 21 innings. I know we couldn't afford him, but what could he do in this Reds rotation? It's a rhetorical question.

TheNext44
05-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Harang with seven innings of three hit shutout ball. I'm out. Must be bored to do this, but it was a lot more fun than today's fiasco at Citi. Since I'm a big Harang fan, he's allowed only 3 earned runs in his last 21 innings. I know we couldn't afford him, but what could he do in this Reds rotation? It's a rhetorical question.

He couldn't crack the Reds rotation. I will always root for him, but he's not better than anyone the Reds are sending out currently.

WVRedsFan
05-18-2012, 01:22 AM
He couldn't crack the Reds rotation. I will always root for him, but he's not better than anyone the Reds are sending out currently.

The stats say different. His ERA is lower than Leake, Latos, and Homer. He went 7 innings tonight, allowing 3 hits. Of course, he was pitching in that great canyon known as Petco Park, so I understand. If those three are better, the results should be better.

HeatherC1212
05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
The stats say different. His ERA is lower than Leake, Latos, and Homer. He went 7 innings tonight, allowing 3 hits. Of course, he was pitching in that great canyon known as Petco Park, so I understand. If those three are better, the results should be better.

If those three were also pitching in Petco, the results probably would be better. :eek:

Orenda
05-18-2012, 11:41 AM

always a fan of Harang's. Guy was a innings machine, really he was the start of the pitching turnaround. What is the value of having guys who pitch 200 plus innings allowing you time to develop minor league guys?

but he was a flyball pitcher in a hitter's park in Cincy, nl west is probably a better fit baseball wise. Every time I turned on the sports radio he was getting bashed for his W-L record:(. When the team had hitting (Jr. era) they had no starting pitching, when the team got a little starting pitching (Harang Arroyo) they didn't have enough and the bullpen was bad. When the team fixed the bullpen and traded Josh Hamilton for Volquez...older guys started regressing and they still were getting like 60 errors from the left side of their defense.

Treating symptons not roots.

Orenda
05-18-2012, 11:59 AM
also for the Dodgers, Capuano and ted lilly are currently performing at All-Star levels. both are good pitchers...but pitcher friendly confines to say the least.

RBA
05-18-2012, 09:07 PM
no hitter alert: Verlander on the Pirates. 8th innning

RBA
05-18-2012, 09:11 PM
struck out 11, just hit 100 on the gun in the 8th. 2 outs.

RBA
05-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Struck out the side in the 8th. 12K's

PuffyPig
05-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Well, with the Reds loss, all that's left is to watch the Cards game, hopefully they will keep pace, something they have done well lately.

Cards catch the Dodgers without Kemp.

MikeThierry
05-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Well, with the Reds loss, all that's left is to watch the Cards game, hopefully they will keep pace, something they have done well lately.

Cards catch the Dodgers without Kemp.

Puffy, what do you think of this strike zone in the Doyers/Cards game? Mattingly was mad and got tossed, lol.

MikeThierry
05-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Wow that was horrible. I'm just glad that the rest of the division is as putrid.

05-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Salas walks in a run in the bottom of the ninth as the Dodgers beat the Cards 6-5. Berkman had hit a homer in the top of the ninth with two outs to tie it.

PuffyPig
05-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Puffy, what do you think of this strike zone in the Doyers/Cards game? Mattingly was mad and got tossed, lol.

It was inconsistent as usual, but I didn't think that Mattingly had much reason to get tossed. Unless he wants to get tossed every game.

Orenda
05-19-2012, 06:23 PM
A. McCutchen going berserk for the Pirates, he's off to a torrid pace. Pittsburgh really is working the Mac Attacks

Chip R
05-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Dunn went deep for the Pale Hose against the hapless Cubs.

Big Klu
05-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Dunn went deep for the Pale Hose against the hapless Cubs.

Dunn always did like hitting in the Friendly Confines.

OesterPoster
05-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Dodgers scored 2 in the 4th and lead the Cardinals, 2-0. Westbrook and Kershaw on the mound. Vin Scully on the mic with MLB network coverage.

05-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Dodgers scored 2 in the 4th and lead the Cardinals, 2-0. Westbrook and Kershaw on the mound. Vin Scully on the mic with MLB network coverage.

Of more interest, Lance Berkman left the game with a bum right knee.

Reds Fanatic
05-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Of more interest, Lance Berkman left the game with a bum right knee.

Matt Adams was pulled from his AAA game early tongight after the Berkman injury. So it looks like he will be called up to take Berkman's place

OesterPoster
05-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Westbrook getting hammered in the 7th. HR to some dude hitting on the interstate, and then a double off the glove of Holliday by Kershaw.

OesterPoster
05-20-2012, 12:11 AM
On a side note, Vin claims no left handed catchers have played in the majors. I thought Benny Distefano played a few games as a left handed catcher for the Pirates back in the late 80s.

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Is it a sad state of affairs when you would rather watch a bad Scifi Channel movie with horrible graphics and bad acting than your favorite baseball team? They are downright putrid to watch right now. Practically nothing is going right for them this month. I know I'm not going to get an sympathy here but in the famous words of Ron Washington "That's how baseball go".

It does look like they're going to start the clock on Matt Adams. I don't know if they wanted to do it this early in his young career but with Craig and Berkman on the DL, they have no other choice.

05-20-2012, 01:22 AM
On a side note, Vin claims no left handed catchers have played in the majors. I thought Benny Distefano played a few games as a left handed catcher for the Pirates back in the late 80s.

Mike Squires caught for the White Sox in the 80's. TLR was the manager who played him.

reds44
05-20-2012, 05:04 AM
Is it a sad state of affairs when you would rather watch a bad Scifi Channel movie with horrible graphics and bad acting than your favorite baseball team? They are downright putrid to watch right now. Practically nothing is going right for them this month. I know I'm not going to get an sympathy here but in the famous words of Ron Washington "That's how baseball go".

It does look like they're going to start the clock on Matt Adams. I don't know if they wanted to do it this early in his young career but with Craig and Berkman on the DL, they have no other choice.
Wow they're regressing to the mean? Who could have seen that coming? (everybody)

blumj
05-20-2012, 08:22 AM
For useless trivia fans, Middlebrooks-Saltalamacchia is now the most letters in the last names of any teammates who've ever hit back-to-back HRs. I also believe the Red Sox are plotting to eventually dominate all records in the longest last names category, as they have a kid named Schwindenhammer in the minors.

BCubb2003
05-20-2012, 08:50 AM

"American Warships" with Mario Van Peebles? Crude knockoff of Battleship? Or was it "Battle LA"? I sympathize.

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Is it a sad state of affairs when you would rather watch a bad Scifi Channel movie with horrible graphics and bad acting than your favorite baseball team?

I would always rather watch the Reds, even at their worse, than anything else.

IIRC, a couple of times last year you gave up watching the Cards, only to gleefully jump back on the bandwagon when they stated playing well again.

I would have thought you would have learned your lesson by now. Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. When your team is at it's very worse, that's when the team's most loyal and resilient fans are needed.

elfmanvt07
05-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I think the parity between the Cards and the Reds is going to lead to some pretty exciting games down the stretch. I look forward to them. Let's not forget that each team's last three are in St. Louis against each other. I think they might decide the central.

_Sir_Charles_
05-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I think the parity between the Cards and the Reds is going to lead to some pretty exciting games down the stretch. I look forward to them. Let's not forget that each team's last three are in St. Louis against each other. I think they might decide the central.

I don't. I'm just not seeing the parity I guess. The Cards are playing above their heads (just now showing signs of this ending) and the Reds are playing well below their norms. And we're like 1.5 games behind them. When things even out, we'll be well in front of them IMO. With the injuries to the Brewers, I firmly believe our next best challenger might come from the Pirates believe it or not.

Tony Cloninger
05-20-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't. I'm just not seeing the parity I guess. The Cards are playing above their heads (just now showing signs of this ending) and the Reds are playing well below their norms. And we're like 1.5 games behind them. When things even out, we'll be well in front of them IMO. With the injuries to the Brewers, I firmly believe our next best challenger might come from the Pirates believe it or not.

Did we not all say this last year....as well as the players, FO themselves?
I am not going to be deluded again to think that they will just turn it on or become better....for all we know they have regressed even worse and will get no better.

elfmanvt07
05-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Did we not all say this last year....as well as the players, FO themselves?
I am not going to be deluded again to think that they will just turn it on or become better....for all we know they have regressed even worse and will get no better.

This is definitely my fear. So, I guess I would agree that the Cards will regress, but we're seeing the current Reds club at about where they will finish talent-wise.

Tony Cloninger
05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
This is definitely my fear. So, I guess I would agree that the Cards will regress, but we're seeing the current Reds club at about where they will finish talent-wise.

Exactly....and we and apparently they are all counting on the Cardinals top regress to their numbers or their true selves.....to win? We can be the Twins of the NL Central ....would love to have some good seasons of winning sure....but then what? And to count on those around you to be bad to help is not my idea of building a team.

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
"American Warships" with Mario Van Peebles? Crude knockoff of Battleship? Or was it "Battle LA"? I sympathize.

hahahahaha yeah! I was like "Wow... that's Mario Van Peebles. Where has he been all of these years?" So bad it was entertaining.

I would always rather watch the Reds, even at their worse, than anything else.

IIRC, a couple of times last year you gave up watching the Cards, only to gleefully jump back on the bandwagon when they stated playing well again.

I would have thought you would have learned your lesson by now. Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. When your team is at it's very worse, that's when the team's most loyal and resilient fans are needed.

I'm still going to be watching the games, especially because it's early. It's was just painful to watch that game. Human's destroying Aliens was much more entertaining last night than watching Matt Holliday botch a routine flyball.

gilpdawg
05-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Scherzer has 14 K's through 6, but is down 2-1.

Tony Cloninger
05-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Remember the days when the BRM and The Big Lumber Company terrorized pitching in the NL. I miss then 70's....except for bad Disco.

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm still going to be watching the games, especially because it's early.

So, as soon as you think your team is out of it, you stop watching?

Sorry, but that's the very definition of a bandwagon fan.

VottoFan54
05-20-2012, 04:40 PM
So, as soon as you think your team is out of it, you stop watching?

Sorry, but that's the very definition of a bandwagon fan.

That's like saying that you followed the Reds just as closely in September 2010 as you did in September 2003. Of course you don't follow as closely when your team is out of it.

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 04:54 PM
That's like saying that you followed the Reds just as closely in September 2010 as you did in September 2003. Of course you don't follow as closely when your team is out of it.

Exactly. That doesn't mean I stop supporting the team. With college starting back up in fall, if the Cards are out of it, I might only get to watch a couple game a week. However, if they're in the thick of things, I'll try to catch every game I can.

To me, a bandwagon fan is someone who was never a fan of the team but started watching games because the team is good. Oftentimes the term bandwagon fan is used as a pejorative but if that fan who's a "bandwagoner" becomes a life long fan, I don't think it's that bad of a thing. When I started to first watch the Cardinals, I guess I could be labeled as a bandwagon fan. I moved in 1996 from Kansas City to St. Louis when I was about 13 or 14 and was a Royal fan. However, that year the Cardinals were a very good team and were one win away from going to the World Series. I was instantly hooked to the Cardinals and have been a huge fan ever since. Since the team was good that year, I probably followed them closer than I would have if they were bad. If they were a bad team, I may have still been a Royals for quite some time.

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 04:56 PM

I watch every game, right to the end of the season.

In Mike's case, twice last year he indicated he had given up and had stopped watching.

We are not talking about "not following quite so closely", we are talking about "not watching at all".

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 05:00 PM
I watch every game, right to the end of the season.

In Mike's case, twice last year he indicated he had given up and had stopped watching.

We are not talking about "not following quite so closely", we are talking about "not watching at all".

Considering I had the worst year of my life, health wise, I had far more important things to worry about than baseball. Worrying about a child's game and taking time to watch that kids game was further from my mind. They were playing horrible and it wasn't worth my time stressing out over something that didn't really matter in the end.

mth123
05-20-2012, 05:03 PM

Speak for yourself. I always watch.

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Considering I had the worst year of my life, health wise, I had far more important things to worry about than baseball. Worrying about a child's game and taking time to watch that kids game was further from my mind. They were playing horrible and it wasn't worth my time stressing out over something that didn't really matter in the end.

So why did you start watching again once they got into the playoffs and won the world series?

It obviously become a larger priority to you?

OnBaseMachine
05-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Speak for yourself. I always watch.

As do I.

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 05:11 PM
So why did you start watching again once they got into the playoffs and won the world series?

It obviously become a larger priority to you?

Well, for one, I started feeling better towards the end of the year because the doctors found a medicine that stabilized my intestinal issues. My colon also wasn't 4 times the normal size like it was when I was hospitalized in July. Secondly, I wasn't stressing out over the team. They were fun to watch and didn't give me stomach issues like they were when they weren't playing well. Anymore from the Spanish Inquisition? I can scan in my medical records to the ORG if you want me to. Frankly, it's a joke that you're questioning or grilling someone over their personal life like this.

BCubb2003
05-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Reds fans are not immune to being disgusted, as the game threads can show.

RedsfaninMT
05-20-2012, 05:30 PM
I've been a Reds fan since I was in first grade, got to one game at Crosley, then saw a series game in each of "70, '72, '75 and '76. I was diagnosed with MS over 20years ago. There are times when I don't care as much about baseball as others, but that has nothing to do with my health, but rather some awesome time spent with my son or other friends fishing the rivers of my adopted home state of Montana.

Most games I ever went to was in '82. Probably went to 40+ games and they were a brutal team to watch. They must have lost 75% of those games I attended, or at least that's the way it is in my memory.

Would love to see them win a WS again in my lifetime. I could not care less if anyone wants to call me a bandwagon fan or not, but I do follow the team come August/September if they're still in it mre than I do when they are out of it. I am always delighted to see a "C" cap out here in Montana, and it usually leads to a connversation. None of us knows the "stuff" others are putting up with. I'll welcome any and all fans who want to cheer on the same team I do, whether they follow the team every day (or year) or not.

gilpdawg
05-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Watching Padres/Angels. Alonso on first, and the Angels threw to first three times. Apparently they don't know he's not running because he runs like he's carrying a piano. He's swinging the bat well lately though.

gilpdawg
05-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Holy moly, Mike Trout might be the fastest I've ever seen home to first from the right side.

Screwball
05-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Holy moly, Mike Trout might be the fastest I've ever seen home to first from the right side.

Faster than Stubbs?

gilpdawg
05-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Faster than Stubbs?

Probably. Not by a whole lot though.

cincrazy
05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Who cares whether or not he took a break from watching? That makes him less of a fan? You guys are being awfully petty and disrespectful to a LEGITIMATE, GOOD poster on this board. It's silly to say "Well I'm a better fan than you because I've stuck by my horrible team for a decade." Attacks like this do nothing but show a petty jealousy. The Cardinals are better than us. Have been since the 70s. Posters like Mike catch the brunt end of all of our frustration, and it's unfortunate and embarrassing.

VottoFan54
05-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Who cares whether or not he took a break from watching? That makes him less of a fan? You guys are being awfully petty and disrespectful to a LEGITIMATE, GOOD poster on this board. It's silly to say "Well I'm a better fan than you because I've stuck by my horrible team for a decade." Attacks like this do nothing but show a petty jealousy. The Cardinals are better than us. Have been since the 70s. Posters like Mike catch the brunt end of all of our frustration, and it's unfortunate and embarrassing.

Solid post, cc. Those bolded sentences pretty much sum up my feelings on the subject.

gilpdawg
05-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Some people will always have an axe to grind with Mike no matter what. He's a good poster and should be treated with the same respect as a Reds fan, but that's just my opinion. I don't run this site.

05-20-2012, 08:46 PM
Berkman considering retirement

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/berkman-weighs-future-while-awaiting-mri/article_9e04fea2-a2c2-11e1-ba20-001a4bcf6878.html

gilpdawg
05-20-2012, 08:48 PM

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/berkman-weighs-future-while-awaiting-mri/article_9e04fea2-a2c2-11e1-ba20-001a4bcf6878.html

Hate to see that. Even though he's been a Reds killer, I've always liked him.

Tony Cloninger
05-20-2012, 08:54 PM
They are probably not worried. They already have Matt Adams getting a hit in his first AB. They seem to have an endless assembly line of replaceable parts at their disposal. :thumbdown:

mth123
05-20-2012, 09:13 PM
They are probably not worried. They already have Matt Adams getting a hit in his first AB. They seem to have an endless assembly line of replaceable parts at their disposal. :thumbdown:

I don't know. The middle of the order of Berkman, Beltran and Holliday was/is the primary advantage the the Cardinals have over the Reds. If Berkman is out, I think that makes the Reds the clear favorite. The Reds still need to fix the lopsided roster, but they really don't need to do anything drastic to close up their holes.

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 09:15 PM

It's either that or rehabilitating and laying off those double bacon cheeseburgers.

05-20-2012, 09:19 PM
It's either that or rehabilitating and laying off those double bacon cheeseburgers.

That's an easy choice for me...

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 09:28 PM
That's an easy choice for me...

For me too....

Orenda
05-20-2012, 09:36 PM
would i hypothetically trade one very athletic talented cf for another under-performing cf in Toronto? hmmm

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 09:37 PM
David Freese has fallen on hard times. In his last 10 games (includes today), he's 3-33 with 1 RBI. And those 3 hits and sole RBI were all in the same game.

Cards have taken a 3-2 lead BTW.

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 09:39 PM
would i hypothetically trade one very athletic talented cf for another under-performing cf in Toronto? hmmm

Rasmus has become a pretty ho-hum defensive CF. And other than one decent season when his BABIP was quite high, he's looked pretty pedestrain.

Orenda
05-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Rasmus has become a pretty ho-hum defensive CF. And other than one decent season when his BABIP was quite high, he's looked pretty pedestrain.

your right. the stars don't seem to be alligned properly

REDSEER
05-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Unbelievable. 3 straight bloops to the exact same spot score 2 runs for the Cards...5-2 now.

Scrap Irony
05-20-2012, 09:58 PM

I think perhaps Toronto would listen to that offer.

I'd have to take it seriously, if only because I really like Rasmus' swing. Or at least did. I haven't seen him this season.

Orenda
05-20-2012, 10:07 PM
I think perhaps Toronto would listen to that offer.

I'd have to take it seriously, if only because I really like Rasmus' swing. Or at least did. I haven't seen him this season.

If anybody could turn Stubbs into a 30-40 hr guy, it'd be toronto. Must have clean water up there or something

Tony Cloninger
05-20-2012, 10:15 PM
If anybody could turn Stubbs into a 30-40 hr guy, it'd be toronto. Must have clean water up there or something

They have the same hack and attack approach that Dusty likes....however it has worked much better up there. They seem to have better plate coverage when hacking.

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 10:16 PM

Plus, the Reds would have to potentially deal with his father, who knows better than most MLB clubs what's best for his son (at least in his own mind).

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Freses is 0-4 tonight with 4 K's.

They've only thrown him 14 pitches, and zero called strikes. It's basically whiff, whiff, whiff.

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Freses is 0-4 tonight with 4 K's.

They've only thrown him 14 pitches, and zero called strikes. It's basically whiff, whiff, whiff.

He seems to be trying to pull the ball the last couple of weeks more. He is going to continue to struggle if he tries to pull the outside pitch that pitchers are getting him out on.

By the way, the guy on the mound Marte, the Cards got him from the Royals for a grand total of $1. Have you all ever seen anything like that before?

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Unbelievable. 3 straight bloops to the exact same spot score 2 runs for the Cards...5-2 now.

The Dodgers get one back on 3 hits and two very hard hit outs to the OF.

mdccclxix
05-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Scott Van Slyke goes yard on a 3-0 pitch. 3 run bomb. His first HR in MLB.

mdccclxix
05-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Abreu was "on base", yessir.

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 10:47 PM
He seems to be trying to pull the ball the last couple of weeks more. He is going to continue to struggle if he tries to pull the outside pitch that pitchers are getting him out on.

By the way, the guy on the mound Marte, the Cards got him from the Royals for a grand total of $1. Have you all ever seen anything like that before?

The Cards may have overpad for basically a replacement level relief pitcher.

;)

powersackers
05-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Scott Van Slyke goes yard on a 3-0 pitch. 3 run bomb. His first HR in MLB.

Gotta love it. Good for him and for us!

Playadlc
05-20-2012, 11:04 PM
.5 out.

reds44
05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
.5 out.
Of the best Cardinal team their fans have ever seen! Amazing.

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Of the best Cardinal team their fans have ever seen! Amazing.

I don't know who said that, lol. To me it was the 04 team by a mile.

OesterPoster
05-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Oh, we will probably hear about the bad out call on Yadi costing them a run.

reds44
05-20-2012, 11:07 PM
Heard it from plenty of "you people" lol

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Heard it from plenty of "you people" lol

What do you mean by "you people"?!

Robert Downy Jr.-Tropic Thunder

reds44
05-20-2012, 11:14 PM
What do you mean by "you people"?!

Robert Downy Jr.-Tropic Thunder
Who do YOU mean you people? lol

PuffyPig
05-20-2012, 11:15 PM

No doubt about it in my mind. The best Cards team lost 4-0 straight in the world series, while two substantially worse Cards teams win the world series.

But that's baseball.

MikeThierry
05-20-2012, 11:18 PM
No doubt about it in my mind. The best Cards team lost 4-0 straight in the world series, while two substantially worse Cards teams win the world series.

But that's baseball.

That how baseball go.

Ron Washington

:lol:

dougdirt
05-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Giancarlo Stanton just hit a grand slam off of Jamie Moyer. Rumor is that it landed somewhere in Cuba.

mth123
05-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Giancarlo Stanton just hit a grand slam off of Jamie Moyer. Rumor is that it landed somewhere in Cuba.

So, is that the largest age difference ever between pitcher and a a guy who homered off of him?

dougdirt
05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
So, is that the largest age difference ever between pitcher and a a guy who homered off of him?

Has to be close....

Tornon
05-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Austin Kearns went 4-4 tonight and is now hitting .362 with the Marlins. I always like seeing him do well

membengal
05-21-2012, 09:54 PM
For anyone with access to it...the Rangers at Ms game is Darvish v. King Felix starting in 15 minutes. heck of a pitching matchup.

VottoFan54
05-21-2012, 10:03 PM
The Cards just took a 2-1 lead against the Padres in the seventh.

VR
05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
The Cards just took a 2-1 lead against the Padres in the seventh.

After 14 pitching changes by the Cards in the 8th, Guzman doubles to drive in Denorfia and Alonso, Padres lead 3-2

oneupper
05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Ex Reds Denorfia and Alonso score on a double by Guzman to make it 3-2 Pads.

PuffyPig
05-21-2012, 10:25 PM
The Cards used 4 pitchers in the 8th, but the last one allows a 2 run double and the Pads take a 3-2 lead.

The Cards brought in Scrabble to walk Alonso (the potential winning run) on 4 pitches.

Tornon
05-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Tyler Greene puts the Cards back up 4-3 in the bottom of 8

PuffyPig
05-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Greene puts the Cards ahead 4-3, bottom of the 8th.

VottoFan54
05-21-2012, 11:28 PM
FWIW, The Cards ended up beating the Padres tonight 4-3.

WildcatFan
05-22-2012, 12:42 AM
The Cards used 4 pitchers in the 8th, but the last one allows a 2 run double and the Pads take a 3-2 lead.

The Cards brought in Scrabble to walk Alonso (the potential winning run) on 4 pitches.

Somewhere, Tony La Russa needs a cigarette.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Somewhere, Tony La Russa needs a cigarette.

LOL. That just MADE my morning. :lol:

dougdirt
05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
So, that home run that Stanton hit last night went 462 feet. It was the fastest HR off of the bat in baseball this year at 122.4 MPH. The second fastest HR off of the bat was 117.5 MPH. There is 4.9 MPH difference between #2 and #33 on the list. Easily hit harder than anything in baseball this year.

If you haven't seen it yet, you need to go see it. It was incredible.

traderumor
05-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Tyler Greene puts the Cards back up 4-3 in the bottom of 8
According to MLB "At Bat," he turned around a 100 MPH fastball from Andrew Cashner. I didn't realize Cashner was an upper 90s guy, but he was according to the pitch by pitch last night.

dougdirt
05-22-2012, 09:42 AM
According to MLB "At Bat," he turned around a 100 MPH fastball from Andrew Cashner. I didn't realize Cashner was an upper 90s guy, but he was according to the pitch by pitch last night.

Averaging 98.7 MPH this year. 96.8 MPH for his career.

traderumor
05-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Averaging 98.7 MPH this year. 96.8 MPH for his career.So what is the pitchers' secret? So many guys now in the high 90s and topping 100 MPH. I'm starting to get suspicious.

dougdirt
05-22-2012, 10:03 AM
So what is the pitchers' secret? So many guys now in the high 90s and topping 100 MPH. I'm starting to get suspicious.

Better understanding of mechanics. Better training. Better nutrition. Better care of their arms for their entire lives.

It is why I literally laugh out loud whenever someone says pitchers used to be better.

traderumor
05-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Better understanding of mechanics. Better training. Better nutrition. Better care of their arms for their entire lives.

It is why I literally laugh out loud whenever someone says pitchers used to be better.

Hmmmm, I bet that sounds a lot like what folks were saying around the mid 90s with hitters. There may be some truth to that, I'd add TJ surgery to the list, and medical advances. I'm not sure that I buy all the "healthy lifestyle" stuff, because that should be true of hitters also, but the scales have clearly tilted the other direction. Plus, all the upper 90s guys have suddenly burst on the scene. There's a holy grail, and I'd like to think its as you say, but my natural skepticism tells me its more likely unnatural.

It would definitely make a good investigative reporting project.

dougdirt
05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Hmmmm, I bet that sounds a lot like what folks were saying around the mid 90s with hitters. There may be some truth to that, I'd add TJ surgery to the list, and medical advances. I'm not sure that I buy all the "healthy lifestyle" stuff, because that should be true of hitters also, but the scales have clearly tilted the other direction. Plus, all the upper 90s guys have suddenly burst on the scene. There's a holy grail, and I'd like to think its as you say, but my natural skepticism tells me its more likely unnatural.

It would definitely make a good investigative reporting project.

Hitters today, put back in time, would absolutely obliterate the Major Leagues in the 80s and earlier. AAA teams would win 130 MLB games if they could go back in time to the 60s.

I am sure that some of it is that guys can come back from serious arm injuries better than ever before due to technological advances in surgery. But there is a lot of training that goes on that was never done before that allows guys to simply throw harder than ever before.

traderumor
05-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Hitters today, put back in time, would absolutely obliterate the Major Leagues in the 80s and earlier. AAA teams would win 130 MLB games if they could go back in time to the 60s.

I am sure that some of it is that guys can come back from serious arm injuries better than ever before due to technological advances in surgery. But there is a lot of training that goes on that was never done before that allows guys to simply throw harder than ever before.Sounds like a good project for Hollywood, but I think that hypothesis falls apart since "bigger and stronger" isn't necessarily going to guarantee success in any era. But I'm not going to start that debate. Time machine theories are a slippery slope.

dougdirt
05-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Sounds like a good project for Hollywood, but I think that hypothesis falls apart since "bigger and stronger" isn't necessarily going to guarantee success in any era. But I'm not going to start that debate. Time machine theories are a slippery slope.

They aren't just bigger and stronger, they are also quicker and more skilled. Anyone who honestly believes players in 'yesteryear' were better at baseball than the guys who play it today.... well, I am not sure what I can say about that other than I know some guys who want what they are drinking because it must be some really good stuff.

traderumor
05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
They aren't just bigger and stronger, they are also quicker and more skilled. Anyone who honestly believes players in 'yesteryear' were better at baseball than the guys who play it today.... well, I am not sure what I can say about that other than I know some guys who want what they are drinking because it must be some really good stuff.Did I say that? But.....throwing hard is not a new thing, its prevalance is. Being able to hit a ball really far is not a new thing. The equipment has changed, etc. and so forth. It isn't the slam dunk you insultingly argue it to be. That is why I say it is a slippery slope. Some guys think basketball players of the past are less than because they wore short shorts. It gets ridiculous. Making those type of comparisons is ludicrous on its face. Its a nice Darwinian concept though.

Every generation thinks they are better than the previous one, which is included in "nothing new under the sun." Its arrogance, plain and simple.

dougdirt
05-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Did I say that? But.....throwing hard is not a new thing, its prevalance is. Being able to hit a ball really far is not a new thing. The equipment has changed, etc. and so forth. It isn't the slam dunk you insultingly argue it to be. That is why I say it is a slippery slope. Some guys think basketball players of the past are less than because they wore short shorts. It gets ridiculous. Making those type of comparisons is ludicrous on its face. Its a nice Darwinian concept though.

No one actually thinks basketball players of the past are less because of their shorts. They are less because they aren't as good athletically as players are today.

It isn't really a slippery slope. Guys today are better athletes than ever before. They are going to be better at sports than ever before.

traderumor
05-23-2012, 09:53 AM
No one actually thinks basketball players of the past are less because of their shorts. They are less because they aren't as good athletically as players are today.

It isn't really a slippery slope. Guys today are better athletes than ever before. They are going to be better at sports than ever before.Ok, you got your soapbox for this topic again. Sorry I got it off track with my burning question. Back to scoreboard watching.

Wainwright dominated the hapless Padres last night. Mitch Williams thinks he's all the way back from TJ surgery now. Hugs and kisses all over Cardinal land, so happy for Wainwright's completed comeback. The bandwagon at MLB Network moves very fast.

traderumor
05-23-2012, 09:54 AM

It isn't really a slippery slope. Guys today are better athletes than ever before. They are going to be better at sports than ever before.No, I was using hyperbole like you are to make your point. Except you actually believe what you are saying is reality.

dougdirt
05-23-2012, 10:09 AM
No, I was using hyperbole like you are to make your point. Except you actually believe what you are saying is reality.

Not really. One thing has no bearing on their ability to play. You could put Dwight Howard in Larry Bird's shorts and he would absolutely dominate the 80s. It has nothing to do with the shorts. It has everything to do with his incredible athleticism and size that simply is unmatched. Dwight Howard could go back in time and guys like Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain wouldn't have a chance at guarding him. They simply weren't athletic enough. Just a way of the times. That is reality. Guys today are bigger, faster, stronger, quicker and more agile. That leads to better athletes and better players.

Boss-Hog
05-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Take it to a new thread, guys.

Degenerate39
05-24-2012, 07:24 AM
St. Louis continues to hang on to 1st place.

VottoFan54
05-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Phillies are up 9-7 on the Cards going into the 7th inning. The Reds might get sole possession of first place tonight.

05-24-2012, 10:49 PM
The Cards-Phils game tonight was interrupted in the top of the seventh by one of the greatest fans in the world, a drunken streaker, and the rest of the greatest fans in the world cheered him on as if he were Stan Musial.

Like I said, they have become Cub fans, lol.

Big Klu
05-24-2012, 11:26 PM
The Cards-Phils game tonight was interrupted in the top of the seventh by one of the greatest fans in the world, a drunken streaker, and the rest of the greatest fans in the world cheered him on as if he were Stan Musial.

Best fans in baseball.

Captain Hook
05-24-2012, 11:28 PM
10-9 Phils heading to the 9th. The game is being shown on MLB net for those interested.

powersackers
05-24-2012, 11:46 PM
2 outs, down 1. 1 runner on. Cardinals last hope is Steven Hill. Who?

VottoFan54
Phillies win 10-9. First place!!!

reds44
First place.

powersackers
05-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Phillies win 10-9. First place!!!

WooHoo, gonna be a fun weekend vs. COL.

HeatherC1212
05-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Yay! First place feels pretty awesome! :jump:

kaldaniels
05-25-2012, 12:20 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KSrdUSlf7_c

Here's some full frontal nudity for you guys, a RZ first? :D

The guys an idiot but I gotta be honest, I'd cheer for him if I were in the stands. :laugh:

Kc61
05-25-2012, 11:17 PM
3-3 ballgame, Phils at Cards, tenth inning. Cards threatened in the ninth but didn't score.

Juan Pierre leading off for the Phils in the tenth. Lines a single to lead off the inning.

Pence then homers to give the Phils a two run lead.

Cards announcers are crestfallen.

Juan Pierre and Hunter Pence, two players not universally admired on RedsZone, may have helped the Reds out tonight. Let's hope it sticks.

PuffyPig
05-25-2012, 11:20 PM
3-3 ballgame, Phils at Cards, tenth inning. Cards threatened in the ninth but didn't score.

Juan Pierre leading off for the Phils in the tenth. Lines a single to lead off the inning.

Pence then homers to give the Phils a two run lead.

Cards announcers are crestfallen.

Cards leave theur best reliever Motte in for the second inning and get burned.

A little desparate I would gather.

Kc61
05-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Cards leave theur best reliever Motte in for the second inning and get burned.

A little desparate I would gather.

Good thing about that, of course, is that Motte probably can't go tomorrow. The proverbial two birds with one stone.

Jonathan Papelbon coming in to try to save it for the Phils, up two runs.

And Papelbon finishes it up, Phils beat Cards, Reds stay in first place.

reds1869
05-25-2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks, Phillies! First place always feels better than second.

Tom Servo
05-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Wow, Jonny Venters is having a no good, very bad month of May.

Captain Hook
05-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Bostons win today puts every team that plays in the AL East and NL East at or above .500.

traderumor
05-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Wow, Jonny Venters is having a no good, very bad month of May.
Yea, I think he is either injured or is it simply volatility of relievers? The Reds roughed him up pretty good.

VR
05-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Today is a boot on the neck game imho. Come out and just punish them early.

HeatherC1212
05-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Today is a boot on the neck game imho. Come out and just punish them early.

I think they heard you, LOL :laugh: :D

cincyinco
05-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Well, I heard neck tats just hit a grand slam against Halladay.. Bummer.

The Operator
05-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Well, I heard neck tats just hit a grand slam against Halladay.. Bummer.And Halladay got pulled after two innings.

Something is up with Doc... decreasing velocity, climbing ERA, now today... something isn't right.

cincyinco
05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Beltran added a 3 run bomb.. 7 to 1 cards

cincrazy
05-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Halladay removed from game due to shoulder soreness. Could be very bad news for Philly.

cincyinco
05-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Halladay removed from game due to shoulder soreness. Could be very bad news for Philly.

Sucks. He's my favorite pitcher.. Hate to see him go down with a serious injury.

Tony Cloninger
05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Beltran added a 3 run bomb.. 7 to 1 cards

Is this going to stop? To hit 21 on Berkman and now this guy...back to back years?

RedlegJake
05-27-2012, 04:23 PM
With Carlos the only question was whether he stayed healthy - I knew he'd be great if he stayed on the field.

Tony Cloninger
05-27-2012, 04:28 PM
With Carlos the only question was whether he stayed healthy - I knew he'd be great if he stayed on the field.

And he picks this year...with the Cards to do so...just like Furcal. The Cards must have made the same deal with the devil that Led Zeppelin did.

Vottomatic
05-27-2012, 04:29 PM

Yeah, me too. Woulda been nice having him play LF for the Reds. Reds would be up 5 to 7 games in the Central right now.

Vottomatic
05-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Cabrera hit a HR today. Trade target? San Fran isn't going anywhere.

BCubb2003
05-27-2012, 04:33 PM
And he picks this year...with the Cards to do so...just like Furcal. The Cards must have made the same deal with the devil that Led Zeppelin did.

Give it time. Those things never turn out well.

Tony Cloninger
05-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Give it time. Those things never turn out well.

I thought that about Berkman last year. That devil is a tricky guy you know. :D

05-27-2012, 05:33 PM

Exactly. This wasn't as lucky a move as Berkman. Cards had Pujols money to spend and they spent it on an all-star level hitter. Good chance they'll regret it next season, if not sooner, but when he's on the field, Beltran has been one of the best.

MikeThierry
05-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Exactly. This wasn't as lucky a move as Berkman. Cards had Pujols money to spend and they spent it on an all-star level hitter. Good chance they'll regret it next season, if not sooner, but when he's on the field, Beltran has been one of the best.

They still have Allen Craig and Matt Adams in case Beltran fails this year or next year. I know it's a small sample size but Matt Adams looks as good as advertised.

traderumor
05-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Just looking at pythags today and a few interesting tidbits:

The Cards scored so many runs in the first 6 weeks of the season that they should be 32-18 according to RS/RA, but 3-9 in one run games. Are they trending down or just unlucky over the last couple of weeks?

Cleveland is starting to remind me of the 2000s Reds, creating this early season mirage for their fans (and yelling at them ;)) by winning a lot of close games, compiling a respectable record, only to hit the June swoon. They are -21 in RS/RA, with a 10-2 record in one run games. Lets hope we are catching them at the right time next week.

The Pirates are -30, and they are still very bad. I don't expect their .500 hover to last much longer. There just isn't any offensive talent beyond Andrew McCutcheon. If it weren't for a little bit of pitching and D, they'd be fighting with the Cubs for the basement yet again. Still a lonnnnnnng way to go for that franchise. I'd say the Astros are closer than they are. Sad, I like the Reds/Pirates rivalry.

The Reds, despite all their flaws :laugh: are right where they should be after last night's 7 run pythag pickup, only +1 game from expected W/L.

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Mets lead the Cardinals 3-0 in the bottom of the 7th inning and the Mets have runners on second and third with no outs.

Vottomatic
06-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Just looking at pythags today and a few interesting tidbits:

The Cards scored so many runs in the first 6 weeks of the season that they should be 32-18 according to RS/RA, but 3-9 in one run games. Are they trending down or just unlucky over the last couple of weeks?

Cleveland is starting to remind me of the 2000s Reds, creating this early season mirage for their fans (and yelling at them ;)) by winning a lot of close games, compiling a respectable record, only to hit the June swoon. They are -21 in RS/RA, with a 10-2 record in one run games. Lets hope we are catching them at the right time next week.

The Pirates are -30, and they are still very bad. I don't expect their .500 hover to last much longer. There just isn't any offensive talent beyond Andrew McCutcheon. If it weren't for a little bit of pitching and D, they'd be fighting with the Cubs for the basement yet again. Still a lonnnnnnng way to go for that franchise. I'd say the Astros are closer than they are. Sad, I like the Reds/Pirates rivalry.

The Reds, despite all their flaws :laugh: are right where they should be after last night's 7 run pythag pickup, only +1 game from expected W/L.

A couple of weeks ago, Lance McAlister said on his show that the Reds had played the 8th toughest schedule in mlb and the Cardinals had played the 26th toughest in mlb. Things are catching up to the Cards. Reds hung in there through tough opponents. Hopefully they can get some distance with some easier opponents.

Let's go Mets!

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Mets lead the Cardinals 4-0 in the bottom of the 8th. R.A. Dickey has thrown 8 shutout innings with 0 BB/9 K on only 87 pitches.

MikeThierry
06-02-2012, 06:35 PM
2012 Cardinals=2007 Cardinals. Looks like a WS hangover right now. Injuries upon injuries, sloppy play, etc.

Degenerate39
06-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Mets lead the Cardinals 4-0 in the bottom of the 8th. R.A. Dickey has thrown 8 shutout innings with 0 BB/9 K on only 87 pitches.

5-0 now

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Mets beat the Cardinals, 5-0. R.A. Dickey threw a complete game shutout. Reds have a chance to extend their lead over the Cardinals to 3.5 with a win tonight. The Pirates could take over second place with a win.

PuffyPig
06-02-2012, 08:05 PM
They still have Allen Craig and Matt Adams in case Beltran fails this year or next year. I know it's a small sample size but Matt Adams looks as good as advertised.

I'd be more worried that he eats Beltran.

That's one fat dude.

And he fell asleep on a play where he was daydreaming and Holliday threw a ball from LF to get a runner that had left on a caught flyball. Ball went directly to first, Adams was standing 10 feet from the bag, oblivious to the throw.

MikeThierry
06-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I'd be more worried that he eats Beltran.

That's one fat dude.

And he fell asleep on a play where he was daydreaming and Holliday threw a ball from LF to get a runner that had left on a caught flyball. Ball went directly to first, Adams was standing 10 feet from the bag, oblivious to the throw.

He's a 23 year old rookie. Those things happen.

06-02-2012, 08:51 PM
He's a 23 year old rookie. Those things happen.

... in Little League ;)

Actually, that play was just as much Holiday's fault. Never throw behind a runner on second. Still, it looked like the Bad News Bears, AKA, the Cubs.

MikeThierry
06-02-2012, 09:48 PM
... in Little League ;)

Actually, that play was just as much Holiday's fault. Never throw behind a runner on second. Still, it looked like the Bad News Bears, AKA, the Cubs.

Well they're playing like the Cubs right now. *gets Captain Morgan out :confused:

PuffyPig
06-03-2012, 07:12 AM
... in Little League ;)

Both the runner on second and the runner on first were going back to their bases after a FB was caught. There is nothing wrong with trying to get the guy going back to first who had wondered way too far off the bag and was scrambling to get back.

The ball is often thrown "behind the runner at 2nd".

06-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Both the runner on second and the runner on first were going back to their bases after a FB was caught. There is nothing wrong with trying to get the guy going back to first who had wondered way too far off the bag and was scrambling to get back.

The ball is often thrown "behind the runner at 2nd".

Not from left field. It gives the runner at second a great opportunity to advance to third. Ball has to go from left field to first base, than to third.

PuffyPig
06-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Not from left field. It gives the runner at second a great opportunity to advance to third. Ball has to go from left field to first base, than to third.

The 2nd base runner was heading back to the bag, so he was a long way from advancing to 3rd.

Never say never.

Cards losing 3-0 to the Mets on Sunday night.

Westbrook has given up 8 hits and is at 85 pitches after 4 innings.

Cards bullpen will be busy again tonight, as they have been since the end of May. When your starter gives you 6+ innings, life is good for your bullpen.

Tornon
06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Not to jinx it or anything, but the Cardinals have now been shutout for 24 consecutive innings

hebroncougar
06-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Not to jinx it or anything, but the Cardinals have now been shutout for 24 consecutive innings

The server would melt down if the Reds came anywhere near that. :lol:

redsmetz
06-04-2012, 05:19 AM
I see the Redbirds finally scored a fun (8th inning). Nice to see them lose on the same day we did preserving our lead. And I see they've fallen into 3rd place behind the Buccos. Nice thing to wake up too.

cumberlandreds
06-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Cards and Mets are tied at 3 after 7. Hairston just hit a PH HR to tie it up for the Mets.

MikeThierry
06-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Cards and Mets are tied at 3 after 7. Hairston just hit a PH HR to tie it up for the Mets.

Cardinals bullpen once again proving that they can't get the job done. It's been the single reason why the Cards are in their decline.

redsmetz
06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Cards went up on a 2 run homer from Alan Craig and held on for the win, final 5-4.

gilpdawg
06-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Eric Karabell had a great point today about the asterisk in the St. Louis paper from Johan's no no. I'm paraphrasing here, but he said that's the last group of people who should do something like that, because look who their hitting coach is. :D

OesterPoster
06-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Something going on in Oakland. Jarrod Parker tossing no-no against the Rangers, through 7 now.

cumberlandreds
06-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Something going on in Oakland. Jarrod Parker tossing no-no against the Rangers, through 7 now.

Didn't get it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/parkers-gem-helps-athletics-beat-044817117--mlb.html;_ylt=AlUSmbzB8sri4QDmG72PIIIRvLYF (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/parkers-gem-helps-athletics-beat-044817117--mlb.html;_ylt=AlUSmbzB8sri4QDmG72PIIIRvLYF)

OesterPoster
06-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I watched the first batter in the 8th get a hit and went to bed. Still pretty impressive, considering the lineup he was facing.

The Operator
06-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Cardinals bullpen once again proving that they can't get the job done. It's been the single reason why the Cards are in their decline.That and several of The Cards' starters beginning to regress to the mean. Lohse, Westbrook and Lynn are all decent enough pitchers - but they aren't that good.

MikeThierry
06-05-2012, 10:05 AM
That and several of The Cards' starters beginning to regress to the mean. Lohse, Westbrook and Lynn are all decent enough pitchers - but they aren't that good.

The offense has been good enough to cover up many of the pitching woes. Plus, there have been several instances where the starter has been taken out of the game with men on base and the bullpen has failed to get the job done.

CTA513
06-08-2012, 05:17 AM
Harang picked up his 100th career win yesterday.

Reds Fanatic
06-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Keep an eye on Seattle and the Dodgers. Through 8 5 Mariner pitchers have not given up a hit

WVRedsFan
06-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Harang picked up his 100th career win yesterday.I know. One of my favorite Reds has proven he was worthy. Maybe not worth is contract, awarded to him in the past, but nonetheless, a good pitcher. He has benefitted from playing in Petco and Dodger Stadium these last two years, but there was no finert person than Aaron Harang. If not for that one extra inning game where everything went wrong, who knw what he could be?

Bravo to one of the great human beings who just happens to br a good pitcher.

WVRedsFan
06-09-2012, 12:59 AM
Combned no-hitter in Seattle. Millwood and five others after Millwood was injured. the 10th combined no-hitter in history. Amazing! Is it just me or are no-no's more common than they used to be? Four, I believe this year. Takes away some of the magic.

06-09-2012, 02:32 AM
Not to brag, but I did say at the beginning of the season that it would be a two team race... Reds and Pirates ;)

PuffyPig
06-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Not to brag, but I did say at the beginning of the season that it would be a two team race... Reds and Pirates ;)

The Brewers aren't out of the race yet. I expect they'll be more relevant than the Pirates when all is said and done.

Tom Servo
06-10-2012, 03:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Ad6UR.png

Watching this game, it's getting absurd.

PuffyPig
06-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Cards down 6-1 going to the bottom of the 8th, after Scrabble and Boggs each give up a 2-run HR.

WVRedsFan
06-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Pirates score 2 in the top of the 9th, but the Birds prevail 8-6.

WVRedsFan
06-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Harang had bad luck tonight. Has pitched 6 innings, allowing No earned runs (2 unearned) against the Angels. Aaron's ERA is now 3.64. He is still in the game in the 7th with the Angels leading 2-1.

HeatherC1212
06-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Pirates score 2 in the top of the 9th, but the Birds prevail 8-6.

Best part of the game tonight is that Brian Roberts finally returned to the Orioles after a long recovery process from a concussion. :) He showed no signs of rust either going 3-4 with 1 RBI and played the entire game in the field with no issues. I am SOOOO happy for Brian! He's been one of my favorite players for a while now (and is the main reason I follow the Orioles) and I'm just thrilled that he's back and healthy again. Go Orioles!!! :beerme: :D

WVRedsFan
06-13-2012, 12:43 AM
Harang had bad luck tonight. Has pitched 6 innings, allowing No earned runs (2 unearned) against the Angels. Aaron's ERA is now 3.64. He is still in the game in the 7th with the Angels leading 2-1.
Harang went 7 and allowed no earned runs. Ended up allowing no earned runs but still behind 2-1. Harang has been pretty good the last two seasons in those large ballparks.

06-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Best part of the game tonight is that Brian Roberts finally returned to the Orioles after a long recovery process from a concussion. :) He showed no signs of rust either going 3-4 with 1 RBI and played the entire game in the field with no issues. I am SOOOO happy for Brian! He's been one of my favorite players for a while now (and is the main reason I follow the Orioles) and I'm just thrilled that he's back and healthy again. Go Orioles!!! :beerme: :D

So?????? Are the Orioles for real this season? Like to hear an expert opinion :)

Chip R
06-13-2012, 08:50 AM

He probably was having flashbacks about pitching in Cincy.

Tony Cloninger
06-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Irony of ironies....the umps in Chicago gave the Cubs the game with 2 missed calls at 2nd and 1st respectively....close calls, not easy ones to make but still missed. I would say the one at 1st should have been easier to make as Fielder had his foot where the ump could see it.

That's what happens when you do not have Angel Hernandez helping you out.

Tom Servo
06-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Baltimore up 5-0 on the Buccos.

Brutus
06-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Pirates getting torn to shreds now. 10-0 Orioles.

Tony Cloninger
06-14-2012, 09:06 PM
I am surprised that the Mets swept TB..... at least the Reds do not get the knuckleball. I just do not see much hitting on the Mets other than Wright doing much anything.

Tom Servo
06-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I am surprised that the Mets swept TB..... at least the Reds do not get the knuckleball. I just do not see much hitting on the Mets other than Wright doing much anything.
Duda torched the Reds last month, he mashes righties.

PuffyPig
06-14-2012, 09:17 PM

The Mets are 4th in the NL in runs scored.

_Sir_Charles_
06-14-2012, 09:30 PM

Yeah, we timed this right. We miss Dickey AND Johan.

VottoFan54
06-14-2012, 09:52 PM
The Cards are leading the White Sox 5-3 after 5 1/2 innings. Adam Dunn hit a 3 run bomb in the top of the inning to get the Sox back into the game and now Zack Stewart is pitching for the Sox in the bottom of the inning.

PuffyPig
06-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah, we timed this right. We miss Dickey AND Johan.

Santana was given a bit more rest after he no hit the Cards, so that's why we are missing him.

Thank you Cards.

Tony Cloninger
06-14-2012, 10:09 PM
The Mets are 4th in the NL in runs scored.

I guess I should said... I do not see HOW they are hitting so good...when I only see Wright as a decent hitter on that team. I think that is a team that is not convincing to me.

Kc61
06-14-2012, 10:29 PM
I guess I should said... I do not see HOW they are hitting so good...when I only see Wright as a decent hitter on that team. I think that is a team that is not convincing to me.

With Jason Bay out of the lineup most of the year, and Ike Davis not hitting, the Mets have relied on less power and more OBP. The Mets have quite a few more walks, hits, and a higher OBP than the Reds.

The Reds, on the other hand, have generated a lot more power than the Mets this year.

This is in part a reflection of personnel, in part a reflection of their ballparks. Mets are better off with singles and doubles hitters since Citifield is such a big stadium. Reds play for the long ball given the cozy confines of GABP and other Central stadiums.

Two very different offenses.

BearcatShane
06-15-2012, 03:15 AM
The Mets fans are probably saying they don't see much offense over here outside of Votto. We should take two of three.

HeatherC1212
06-15-2012, 09:07 AM
So?????? Are the Orioles for real this season? Like to hear an expert opinion :)

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner! I just saw it today, LOL :laugh:

I honestly don't know if the Orioles are for real or not but they're awfully fun to watch this year. They seem to be beating the teams they should beat and hanging tough or giving the other 'good' teams a run for their money. They sure seem like they're for real this year to me. They've got pretty decent (although young) pitching and their offense has been pretty solid. They've also been winning lately without one of their best hitters in Nick Markakis who should be off the DL within the next week or two and will only help them. I'd love to see the O's stay in this race for the rest of the year and throw a nice little surprising wrench into the AL East. I also REALLY want to see Brian Roberts finally get to experience a winning baseball team. The guy's been such a solid player for a lot of years but he's never played on a winning MLB team. Hopefully this is the first year he gets to experience a winning ballclub and God knows those poor O's fans have waited long enough for that too! :D :beerme:

Bob Borkowski
06-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner! I just saw it today, LOL :laugh:

I honestly don't know if the Orioles are for real or not but they're awfully fun to watch this year. They seem to be beating the teams they should beat and hanging tough or giving the other 'good' teams a run for their money. They sure seem like they're for real this year to me. They've got pretty decent (although young) pitching and their offense has been pretty solid. They've also been winning lately without one of their best hitters in Nick Markakis who should be off the DL within the next week or two and will only help them. I'd love to see the O's stay in this race for the rest of the year and throw a nice little surprising wrench into the AL East. I also REALLY want to see Brian Roberts finally get to experience a winning baseball team. The guy's been such a solid player for a lot of years but he's never played on a winning MLB team. Hopefully this is the first year he gets to experience a winning ballclub and God knows those poor O's fans have waited long enough for that too! :D :beerme:

nm

Tom Servo
06-15-2012, 10:24 PM
What the hell is up with Trevor Plouffe? My god.

reds1869
06-15-2012, 10:26 PM

Maybe Bautista shared some batting tips a few weeks ago.

Tony Cloninger
06-15-2012, 10:28 PM

What in the world is a Plouffe? Is it legal?

WVRedsFan
06-15-2012, 11:00 PM
KC beats StL on a wild throw, an attempt to score and the runner out at home! Reds up by 4 on Cards and Pirates.

*BaseClogger*
06-15-2012, 11:03 PM
KC beats StL on a wild throw, an attempt to score and the runner out at home! Reds up by 4 on Cards and Pirates.

Looks like Greene might have been safe. I'm sick and tired of watching baseball players at every level try to tag the player instead of the spot. The catcher lunged forward to tag Greene's chest instead of simply bringing the ball down and tagging him in the legs...

reds1869
06-15-2012, 11:03 PM

I was watching the end of that game; just crazy. Throw gets away at second, runner goes to third...bad throw gets past third, runner heads home...runner nailed at home when in all honesty I think he was safe. But I sure am glad the ump called him out.

Scrap Irony
06-15-2012, 11:06 PM
KC holds on, 3-2.

Reds up four on both the Pirates and Cards.

Good times.

redsmetz
06-15-2012, 11:09 PM
I was watching the end of that game; just crazy. Throw gets away at second, runner goes to third...bad throw gets past third, runner heads home...runner nailed at home when in all honesty I think he was safe. But I sure am glad the ump called him out.

It did appear that his foot touched the plate on the slide before he actually put the glove on him, but it was darn close & I can't say that with full certainty.

Big Klu
06-15-2012, 11:34 PM
What in the world is a Plouffe? Is it legal?

I think it's French for one of these:

http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/smurf.jpg